Andre Jackson could easily rise up to late lottery prospect next year | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson could easily rise up to late lottery prospect next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I look at the success of jalen Williams from okc. He wasn’t on mock drafts until mid way through senior year. He then played great at the draft combine squad games/- well enough to jump all the way into the lottery. He gave himself full time to develop.
Andre really could use another year at a minimum to work on full development. Really it would be his team next year— he’s be top dog. I just don’t see him as developed enough offensively to garner quality nba minutes. I’m not saying this to be selfish or pro UConn but I could still say the same thing about Adama and Newton.
Newton has a chance to be a primary scorer here. In glimpses he has shown what he can do as a triple threat point guard. Adama was just showing glimpses of a mobile 4 man. Why not consider staying/ developing into legit draft picks with sure fire positional certainty

Reaction Score
these are awesome points that they’re likely getting opinions on from a wide range of professionals on.

Drew Gross @ Roc Nation Sports would be your contact for Andre if you’d like to pass that professional opinion on

Reaction Score
Seniors taken in the lottery:
2022: 1 (Ochai Agbaji). Jalen was a junior. Also Jalen averaged 18 a game on 51% FG and 40% 3P, so not quite the same here
2021: 1 (Chris Duarte)
2020: 0
2019: 1 (Cameron Johnson
2018: 0
2017: 0
2016: 3 (Buddy Hield, Taurean Prince, Denzel Valentine)
2015: 1 (Frank Kaminsky)
2014: 1 (Doug McDermott)
2013: 1 (CJ McCollum)

The NBA draft is not a place where fully developed college seniors shine. It's better to be younger with more potential, than older with a refined game. Andre's draft stock is at an all time high because when scouts saw him flying around the court in the tournament, they saw a lot of potential as a floor general/defensive stopper/energy guy

They know that his offensive game is not refined. If they like him enough regardless, then they'll take him and work on his scoring in the league. If they don't, he will come back. He's exactly where he should be right now - going through that process

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Maybe true. But sometimes staying (as a UConn fan I’d like all of our great players to stay 4 years and Jackson certainly has key areas to improve on) but sometimes a player like him needs to take the opportunity if he knows it will be offered. Khalid was one player I thought stayed a year too long although I have no clue what he was being told. He was a hot commodity after the NC season and his star faded some his last year. I know times have changed, but Tate George actually became a first round pick based on his tournament play when all he was was a steady ball handler who wasn’t much of a shooter and had way less to offer over all than Jackson.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Seniors taken in the lottery:
2022: 1 (Ochai Agbaji). Jalen was a junior. Also Jalen averaged 18 a game on 51% FG and 40% 3P, so not quite the same here
2021: 1 (Chris Duarte)
2020: 0
2019: 1 (Cameron Johnson
2018: 0
2017: 0
2016: 3 (Buddy Hield, Taurean Prince, Denzel Valentine)
2015: 1 (Frank Kaminsky)
2014: 1 (Doug McDermott)
2013: 1 (CJ McCollum)

The NBA draft is not a place where fully developed college seniors shine. It's better to be younger with more potential, than older with a refined game. Andre's draft stock is at an all time high because when scouts saw him flying around the court in the tournament, they saw a lot of potential as a floor general/defensive stopper/energy guy

They know that his offensive game is not refined. If they like him enough regardless, then they'll take him and work on his scoring in the league. If they don't, he will come back. He's exactly where he should be right now - going through that process
Definitely agree that the draft is not kind to seniors. Andre may have the tools to do so if he can become a reliable scorer with him being an elite level athlete to go with his IQ.

Reaction Score
If Andre decides that returning is the best move for him, I’d love it if Ray Allen and Rip Hamilton could take turns with Andre on revamping and simplifying his shooting technique. Andre is such a great athlete that I think he could improve and get more efficient. If he were to turn himself into a 35% from 3 player, he’d be in the lottery.

Reaction Score
Jackson has all the skills to be an NBA player right now except for shooting. The question is would a team take a chance on his shot improving and draft him in the 1st round? If not, he should return to UConn and develop his shot over the next 6 months.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how good the UConn staff (with whatever resources they can call on) would be in improving/refining his shot in a year vs. an NBA team with it's much more available resources. Never mind the restrictions on how much coaches and players can interact and spending Oct to April just trying to win #6 and the pressure on AJ to lead the team.

As an old guy I must say that when he looks back (and I'm assuming he will make a boat load of money either way) I bet he'd have much more fond memories of 2023-24 going after #6 (whether he helps UConn get it or not) than spending it slogging through the grind of his 1st NBA season.

Reaction Score
Jackson has all the skills to be an NBA player right now except for shooting. The question is would a team take a chance on his shot improving and draft him in the 1st round? If not, he should return to UConn and develop his shot over the next 6 months.
Not really, he doesn't have any scoring skills which is an enormous part of the game. He has great vision, athleticism and instincts and he plays really good defense but he simply needs to develop some sort of scoring. It's much more than a broken three point shot. He seemed to get a little better near the end of the season with cutting for a few floaters and open dunks but he needs to develop a scoring package and to fix his shot.

I just hope he makes the best decision and really hope he's not stuck in the G league.

Reaction Score
Maybe true. But sometimes staying (as a UConn fan I’d like all of our great players to stay 4 years and Jackson certainly has key areas to improve on) but sometimes a player like him needs to take the opportunity if he knows it will be offered. Khalid was one player I thought stayed a year too long although I have no clue what he was being told. He was a hot commodity after the NC season and his star faded some his last year. I know times have changed, but Tate George actually became a first round pick based on his tournament play when all he was was a steady ball handler who wasn’t much of a shooter and had way less to offer over all than Jackson.

Reaction Score
Champion Andre has nothing left to prove, and now needs to determine if or what to improve in college.

The issue is not if he's NBA ready but if he's ready to fight for and take someone's paycheck (roster spot). Him testing the NBA waters will give him that answer.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
So? The point, which you missed, is that George was drafted in the first round off of very little reason except he got noticed. Teams then weren’t wasting 1st round picks for no good reason any more than today. The point is that whether or not he should be a first rounder, if Jackson knows he will be, he should leave now while he is a hot commodity. Khalid hurt himself by staying another year. I don’t want Jackson to leave selfishly because it takes him away from UConn with a year left, but he definitely should go if it is clearly in his interest. 2023.

Reaction Score
So? The point, which you missed, is that George was drafted in the first round off of very little reason except he got noticed. Teams then weren’t wasting 1st round picks for no good reason any more than today. The point is that whether or not he should be a first rounder, if Jackson knows he will be, he should leave now while he is a hot commodity. Khalid hurt himself by staying another year. I don’t want Jackson to leave selfishly because it takes him away from UConn with a year left, but he definitely should go if it is clearly in his interest. 2023.
Khalid didn't hurt his himself by staying for his junior season, the NBA wasn't into 5'9 pudgy point guards any more the year before.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Khalid didn't hurt his himself by staying for his junior season, the NBA wasn't into 5'9 pudgy point guards any more the year before.
You know this how? He did not help himself by staying. He was drafted, 5’9” and pudgy as he was, very high in Round 2, so somebody disagreed with you. I think he was a hot commodity the year before and would have gone 1st round. My opinion is at least as good as yours. If you think some scouts aren’t affected by such things, great.

Reaction Score
You know this how? He did not help himself by staying. He was drafted, 5’9” and pudgy as he was, very high in Round 2, so somebody disagreed with you. I think he was a hot commodity the year before and would have gone 1st round. My opinion is at least as good as yours. If you think some scouts aren’t affected by such things, great.
"Khalid hurt himself by staying another year."

Don't say things as statements of fact if you don't want people calling you out on it.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You

Don't say things as statements of fact if you don't want people calling you out on it.
um, I’m pretty sure you said nobody wanted Khalid as in an statement contradicted by actual fact. Of course i can’t prove it and said it was opinion if you bother to actually read my words. I happen to think he cost himself a guaranteed contract. You don’t. I don’t know if you are smarter than me, but you sure don’t know fact from opinion but pomposity is your deal.

Reaction Score
You

um, I’m pretty sure you said nobody wanted Khalid as in an statement contradicted by actual fact. Of course i can’t prove it and said it was opinion if you bother to actually read my words. I happen to think he cost himself a guaranteed contract. You don’t. I don’t know if you are smarter than me, but you sure don’t know fact from opinion but pomposity is your deal.
You know what I responded to.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You know what I responded to.
No, that I said Khalid hurt himself? Obviously opinion. I do know you have a hair across your heinie and want to pick a silly fight. Trust me, you don’t know opinion from fact. And you have blown right by your misstatement of “fact”. Khalid actually was drafted, so in your opinion it seems some team was just getting their jollies by wasting a pick on him. Discussion over because you are more interested in one upping than discussing.

Reaction Score
No, that I said Khalid hurt himself? Obviously opinion. I do know you have a hair across your heinie and want to pick a silly fight. Trust me, you don’t know opinion from fact. And you have blown right by your misstatement of “fact”. Khalid actually was drafted, so in your opinion it seems some team was just getting their jollies by wasting a pick on him. Discussion over because you are more interested in one upping than discussing.

"Khalid actually was drafted, so in your opinion it seems some team was just getting their jollies by wasting a pick on him." Lolz

Reaction Score
Andre could return to UConn and could easily sustain a really bad injury crippling his chances if ever playing in the NBA.

A lot of things "could easily" happen in the future.
Yep, and he could get hurt in his rookie season, or playing in the G-League or in Europe... It's always a possibility. You takes your chances in whatever you do in life.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Champion Andre has nothing left to prove, and now needs to determine if or what to improve in college.
Whether or not he has anything to prove is the whole basis of his decision. The league will let him know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom