Andre Jackson announcing Wednesday | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson announcing Wednesday

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Context matters and effects perception.

I really doubt your eye test was able to discern a basketball players athletic ability based off of YouTube videos against other high school kids and then project that to a comparison against guys at UConn who haven't even been in the program for a decade plus.

The guy in this thread who's seen him live a bunch of times backs that up tho. 429 coaches AAU and has plenty of experience scouting; he's worth listening to on this.

Everything I've read about the kid from talent evaluators says he's got NBA athleticism. Now.

Reaction Score
I think he and I are talking about pure athleticism... vertical, lateral movement, end to end speed... whereas you're taking the view of a total basketball player's athleticism. Hand eye coordination, IQ, ability to use the pure athleticism in the college game.

Ie. I would call a track jumper a better pure athlete than your average basketball player. A jumper still would probably be a terrible basketball player because of the other facets of athleticism you're thinking of.

A kid's pure athleticism is evident by 16 or 17-years-old. Obviously the other stuff is developed in college and after. You could have the pure athleticism and just not know how to use it in the game as well.
Welp, that doesn't seem to be what he's talking about. Oh well.

Reaction Score
Welp, that doesn't seem to be what he's talking about. Oh well.

Just trying to give the benefit of the doubt here, haha. There's also a couple posting here I have ignored which makes it hard to follow too. It does sort of depend on how you define athleticism. Our best overall athlete? Burrell or Rudy, no contest IMO. But in terms of just pure freakish vertical Monstar stuff? Andre is probably the best. You put 40lbs on him like sticks had, then maybe not. But at his current size, yes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Like Scott Burrell with more hops? Before injuries, such a thing did not exist. If you doubt that, find the weakside help block he made on Shaq in the NCAA tournament. Or the time he literallyleapfrogged Rodney Rogers at the Civic Center.

Reaction Score
The guy in this thread who's seen him live a bunch of times backs that up tho. 429 coaches AAU and has plenty of experience scouting; he's worth listening to on this.

Everything I've read about the kid from talent evaluators says he's got NBA athleticism. Now.

I don't think coaching makes me any better judge of athleticism. That's just noticeable because I've watched him play. It would be to anyone. I just happened to watch than your average yarder bc one of his teammates did some skill work with me.

You get this feeling when you watch certain NBA guys close up or especially really good track athletes... like the speed and power of what you're watching is just not human. It's literally AWEsome. Someone like Sid is a really amazing athlete. As are most professional players. But guys like John Wall, Russ, Derrick Jones, Zach Lavine, Daaron fox and some others are just next level in how they elevate, accelerate and get down the floor. Andre is definitely in that boat.

Also Andre's hops are great, but the end to end speed is what will really kill teams. There are few, if any, defenders that are going to be able to keep up with him on a transition run out or a hard back cut. That kind of pressure on help defense makes plays happen... Normally we talk about "gravity" and "geometry" of the defense because of shooters, but Andre can make similar things happen with his ability to get by defenders.

Now tell the kid to make 1000 3s a day until June.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Oh Stanley, how I miss you. The guy knew how to get a home crowed on their feet screaming while taking the wind out from under an away game crowed. He was a fun one!
Also, one of the niceness kids around. I know Mrs. Calhoun loved him and I got to know him well during his sabbatical from the team. We had a lot of fun with Chief calling it a sabbatical and Stanley not knowing at first what it was. Chief told him it was when a professor took a semester off and Stanley liked that comparison.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Rudy Gay was no slouch & can't believe no one has mentioned how athletic he was

Reaction Score
Loved Scott but hard to keep Ray out of that discussion.
[/QUOTE
Dont know if he counts for the 90s but Doug Wrenn was an incredible athlete. 6-6 228lb
Top 30 kid out of Seattle. I was so excited when we got him. There is an argument there for him being the best athlete here. Too bad what happened. Never quite the success going forward either.

Reaction Score
He absolutely is, I've watched a lot of his games and it's evident.
Agree here. Sticks was powerfully athletic. This young man's highlights seem to show the smooth above the rim athleticism we've really only seen from Ray. Edit and Rudy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
But Burrell had skills and arm talent.

Yeah, it’s hard for me to argue against a guy recruited by Notre Dame to play QB, a first round draft pick as a pitcher in MLB who had a long NBA career as our best athlete. Burrell was freaking Bo Jackson like in his ability to do anything well.

I’ll be very happy to see Andre come to UConn. He needs to develop his shot. I like his passing instincts based on film. Athleticism is great, but Sid is our most athletic guy right now and needs to become a better basketball player.

Reaction Score
Also, one of the niceness kids around. I know Mrs. Calhoun loved him and I got to know him well during his sabbatical from the team. We had a lot of fun with Chief calling it a sabbatical and Stanley not knowing at first what it was. Chief told him it was when a professor took a semester off and Stanley liked that comparison.

I’ll be honest, I’m with Stix. I have a hard time understanding what sabbatical means too lol.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Were you his shift manager at Prime Materials, Inc., @Chief00 ?

Reaction Score
I think everyone has a point on this "athleticism" and no one is wrong for the most part. It just depends on what the word means to you and I can tell it differs. Stanley, Rudy, Scotty and Andre J all elite athletes with differing gifts other than sharing the unbelievable ability to fly. I'm good with calling any of them the most athletic to have donned a Husky uni or one who may wear one down the road.

For me until the kid from Albany does my vote is Stanley and honestly it's an easy pick for me.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't think coaching makes me any better judge of athleticism. That's just noticeable because I've watched him play. It would be to anyone. I just happened to watch than your average yarder bc one of his teammates did some skill work with me.

You get this feeling when you watch certain NBA guys close up or especially really good track athletes... like the speed and power of what you're watching is just not human. It's literally AWEsome. Someone like Sid is a really amazing athlete. As are most professional players. But guys like John Wall, Russ, Derrick Jones, Zach Lavine, Daaron fox and some others are just next level in how they elevate, accelerate and get down the floor. Andre is definitely in that boat.

Also Andre's hops are great, but the end to end speed is what will really kill teams. There are few, if any, defenders that are going to be able to keep up with him on a transition run out or a hard back cut. That kind of pressure on help defense makes plays happen... Normally we talk about "gravity" and "geometry" of the defense because of shooters, but Andre can make similar things happen with his ability to get by defenders.

Now tell the kid to make 1000 3s a day until June.
Then it’s critical for the staff to find a big who can rebound and outlet quickly. Maximize this kid.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Can we just be excited about a recruit / current player for once without having to debate for 5 pages what player he is or isn't as good as.

Sheesh! Even when its a sunny day in Storrs this board acts like its pouring rain.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I don’t follow recruiting like a lot of you guys.

With all this athleticism talk with Andre, is there any chance he can be or develop into a Shawn Marion type 4?

Reaction Score
Ya horrible lateral defender that's why he guarded John wall 2nd half vs Kentucky at msg
You mean the game where Wall scored 12 of UK's last 15 points? The game UK won? The one where Wall blew past Robinson to put UK up for good? Like I said..

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don’t follow recruiting like a lot of you guys.

With all this athleticism talk with Andre, is there any chance he can be or develop into a Shawn Marion type 4?

I don't think he has the height. They guy I look at though is Jalen Brown on the Celtics. Explosive athlete, much stronger than Jackson, and became a better shooter certainly. Brown was a top 5 HS player. Andre is not that and I think we are all making some very optimistic comparisons here. Jackson needs to get much stronger and develop an outside game. That will take time.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I don't think he has the height. They guy I look at though is Jalen Brown on the Celtics. Explosive athlete, much stronger than Jackson, and became a better shooter certainly. Brown was a top 5 HS player. Andre is not that and I think we are all making some very optimistic comparisons here. Jackson needs to get much stronger and develop an outside game. That will take time.

Brown was a bad shooter his one year at cal too.

And his game hasn’t taken off as a pro either. But he has improved his shot. Shooting and strength are the two things that guys can pretty easily improve upon as a pro

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom