Andre Appreciation Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Andre Appreciation Thread

Reaction Score
He is great going to the rim without the ball. For some reason he never tries to take his man off the dribble and take it to the rim. I was paying more attention to that aspect of the game and to me it looked like the defense was spread out and he was being guarded closely (well maybe only one time) and all he had to do was make one quick step and he was clean to the rim. All that they could have done was foul him if he just went to the rim. I think he is lacking confidence in moving with the ball and taking a charging foul. He isn’t afraid of contact so it has to be he is worried about an offensive foul or turning it over. If I am right, it would behoove Hurley to work with him on that. I need to have a conversation with the coach about that……..

Reaction Score
I missed the Creighton game. First game I missed in years. But I was able to check the yard and dudes were crucifying this kid. I'm assuming they aren't on this thread. I really hope he doesn't read these, because the back and forth on him is dizzying. One of my favorite Huskies of the century.

Reaction Score
I remember Dr. J scoring on that move. Don’t remember seeing others do it.
He also reminded me of Dr J today. Dr J also not the best shooter but a great scorer with all sorts of floating acrobatic shots by the rim.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Ajax played like he should in order to earn starter minutes. He did some really nice things and it wouldn’t be Ajax if he didn’t have a few head scratchers. UConn needed his positive energy today but not sure if he became an NBA draft choice. If he does what he did with a bit more control he makes the team more dangerous.

Reaction Score
He was magic today, and the drives to the hoop for dunks are what he MUST be doing out there. I am fine with him getting up 1 or 2 three attempts in a game, but today he passed it up a few times early which is what we need. He’s definitely hit in big moments, so if Hawkins/Newton/Karaban all start cold some game I say get an open one up Jax.

If he plays this way every game we win a ring basically

Reaction Score
I didn’t see the first half so I look forward to seeing the highlights of what I missed obviously.

Reaction Score
I still think the perfect number of threes he takes in a game is zero, but he had a layup in transition in the second half that maybe no one else in college could have converted. He was just in the air an impossibly long period of time.

I think he should shoot a three per half. Two a game. Enough to be sharp and confident when he takes them.

If Sanogo can become a adequate three point shooter, Dre should be able to do it as well. But he has to take some to make some.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He had a solid game. One of his failings is actually on his teammates. They need to be more ready for hard quick passes. Too often he makes a pass and they just don’t expect it and it‘s a turnover. We mostly put those on Andre, but he’s been doing it three years. You’d think guys would adapt.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley should queue up 4 hours of classic Dr J footage, look and Andre and say … You’ve got the rare ability to do everything you see here.

Reaction Score
I would say he has been our most consistent player. He should be challenging Mac Mcclung in the dunk contest next year assuming he does enter the draft.

Reaction Score
I still think the perfect number of threes he takes in a game is zero, but he had a layup in transition in the second half that maybe no one else in college could have converted. He was just in the air an impossibly long period of time.
he should never EVER EVER EVER take another point shot the rest of the season. Just because I see Giselle standing alone doesn’t mean she wants me to talk to her.

Same concept

Reaction Score
I think he should shoot a three per half. Two a game. Enough to be sharp and confident when he takes them.

If Sanogo can become an adequate three point shooter, Dre should be able to do it as well. But he has to take some to make some.
Just so he can miss them both?? What does that accomplish….,the fact that he can miss them both??

Reaction Score
Okay, saw the highlights and now understand the love for Andre this game. I just hope this appreciation continues after the Providence game. Andre looked like he was having fun today and played more to his strengths. Maybe it is too late in the season to expect him to be anything more, but he is by far the most exciting player for UConn this year by far. We got 35 minutes, 10 rebounds, fifteen points shooting 50%, one foul (no technicals), highlight reel dunks, great defense, brings the juice and showed the Jackson smile. What is there not to love about this kid?

Reaction Score
Just learned that 15 was Andre’s career high in points. And he did it while 0-4 on threes. Really shows what he’s capable of if he plays within himself

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Did anyone see the "alley-oop" dunk he almost had off of Hawkins' missed 3???

If he converts that it's automatically top-3 UConn dunks of all time. Insane.

AJ was productive today. But this play you're citing is the same type of play that I criticize. Everything doesn't have to be a highlight reel. Tone it down and convert

I suppose a counter argument to my point would be you don't want to take away his spirit, and that carries some weight. But I still believe he's better if just executes more with less flash.

Reaction Score
Agreed. He needs to stop shooting 3s at all and it would've been perfect. When he's aggressive attacking the rim in transition, we're at our best.
The question is why does the scheme find him in that place before he gets the ball?

Also, agree the simple pass is always better than a flashy high degree of difficulty pass. A good pass is one that leads to a score, no matter how basic.

caw

Reaction Score
He had a solid game. One of his failings is actually on his teammates. They need to be more ready for hard quick passes. Too often he makes a pass and they just don’t expect it and it‘s a turnover. We mostly put those on Andre, but he’s been doing it three years. You’d think guys would adapt.

Dunno, he was on the receiving end of hard close passes today at least once.

Reaction Score
I called this in another thread. I will say this I want him to take one open three. When he is wide open. If he makes it then he does not shoot another the rest of the day. He can screen use headfakes like his might shoot and make good passes. Just good passes and that drive and finger roll that was really nice.
Head Fake...who? The guy 12 feet away?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom