Andre’s shooting | The Boneyard

Andre’s shooting

Reaction Score
Mod, please delete this if redundant.

Let’s not make this a song of fire and ice, and let’s have a cool headed discussion about this.

I’ll start with a live example, food for thought so to speak.

AS knows he needs to add outside shooting in order to get into the league, and he worked his tails off in the off season, and now he draws attention from scouts.

With AJ, a smart kid and awesome coaches around him, I cannot help but think it must cross his mind or the idea must have broached when shooting is most lacking in his game to get him yo his league. Do I think it’s pinkie injury affecting his shots? I’d like to but I cannot honestly think so.

This will be my only wish for AJ to work on when this season is over.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I need him to work on it now not when season is over. Stay extra in the gym with Newton and Alleyne

Reaction Score
His shot is completely broken. More reps in the gym wasn't going to fix it. His scoring on the whole is completely broken. His best move outside of a lob is a flat floater he shoots at 40%. In retrospect, his jumper was too broken to be functional and needed a rebuild from the ground up a la Sanogo. That wasn't really predictable, so I'm not blaming anyone. I think it's just obvious that mechanically and mentally he has a gigantic barrier scoring the rock.

The fact that he is a good starting caliber player in the Big East despite being an absolute 0 scoring the ball is a testament to just how good he is everywhere else. Tenacity, toughness, rebounding, ball pressure, passing, etc. If he keeps his turnovers and fouls to reasonable levels, he might be our 3rd best player despite not being able to score. It's unbelievable really.

Reaction Score
Let’s not make this a song of fire and ice, and let’s have a cool headed discussion about this.

I’ll start with a live example, food for thought so to speak.

AS knows he needs to add outside shooting in order to get into the league, and he worked his tails off in the off season, and now he draws attention from scouts.

With AJ, a smart kid and awesome coaches around him, I cannot help but think it must cross his mind or the idea must have broached when shooting is most lacking in his game to get him yo his league. Do I think it’s pinkie injury affecting his shots? I’d like to but I cannot honestly think so.

This will be my only wish for AJ to work on when this season is over.
I think it's pretty clearly the injury affecting his shots. He identified that he needed to work on his shot LAST offseason, and then proceeded to shoot 36% from 3 last year. A 4 game sample with his fingers taped isn't going to change my opinion on him not being able to shoot

Reaction Score
I think it's pretty clearly the injury affecting his shots. He identified that he needed to work on his shot LAST offseason, and then proceeded to shoot 36% from 3 last year. A 4 game sample with his fingers taped isn't going to change my opinion on him not being able to shoot

Injury is effecting it. You can see him hesitate. I think he can be penciled in for 35% or so on a couple of attempts per game when he is wide open. The way he shoots right now will never allow him to shoot well off the dribble or when contested though--it's a mechanical thing.

Reaction Score
Love AJ but his offense is awful right now, missing the first four games is certainly a factor. IF Andre learns to score even 8-10 points in the flow of the game, this team becomes an extremely tough out. AJ works really hard, so I'm confident he will get there.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
His shot is completely broken. More reps in the gym wasn't going to fix it. His scoring on the whole is completely broken. His best move outside of a lob is a flat floater he shoots at 40%. In retrospect, his jumper was too broken to be functional and needed a rebuild from the ground up a la Sanogo. That wasn't really predictable, so I'm not blaming anyone. I think it's just obvious that mechanically and mentally he has a gigantic barrier scoring the rock.

The fact that he is a good starting caliber player in the Big East despite being an absolute 0 scoring the ball is a testament to just how good he is everywhere else. Tenacity, toughness, rebounding, ball pressure, passing, etc. If he keeps his turnovers and fouls to reasonable levels, he might be our 3rd best player despite not being able to score. It's unbelievable really.
Totally agree. He doesn't need to be an offensive threat on this team with so many weapons already. He needs to be our defensive lockdown which is invaluable enough..

Reaction Score
Don’t see why he can’t develop a jump hook. With his hops he should be able to back in on his defender and dominate down low.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
AJ is at best our fifth or sixth option on offense. He just needs to be credible enough to occupy his defender. Let him do what he does well.

Reaction Score
Don’t see why he can’t develop a jump hook. With his hops he should be able to back in on his defender and dominate down low.
He did show that jump hook a few games last year. I would like to see him on the post more or top of the key in zone as I think he is more effective there than on the outside.

Reaction Score
We have so many shooters, I hope the offense can focus more so on him as a hyper-athletic initiator of the offense and then slashing for a second/third pass for a shot within 10 feet.

Reaction Score
It’s the pinky. How do I know? Go back and watch him last year. His shots were miles better than after the finger injury. Don’t worry he will be back to what he was but he’s not the Hawk, Joey or Alex, never will be.
‘My question is this: does anyone on this board have inside information to our basketball’s staff’s approach to his shot ie; what was done over summer or what work was prescribed? Did he do it> Or… did the staff just say well that’s the way he shoots. Wondering.

Daz

Reaction Score
It’s maddening. The shooting form/style is bizarre. This guy is All World with any kind of shooting ability.

Reaction Score
As I pointed out yesterday, Andre's pinky and ring finger are still taped together. Try shooting a ball with those fingers held together. He should shoot less until he's healed (only wide open 3s), but y'all are overreacting about his shooting ability. The same injury robbed Sanogo of all his touch at the end of last season. Patience.

Reaction Score
It’s the pinky. How do I know? Go back and watch him last year. His shots were miles better than after the finger injury. Don’t worry he will be back to what he was but he’s not the Hawk, Joey or Alex, never will be.
‘My question is this: does anyone on this board have inside information to our basketball’s staff’s approach to his shot ie; what was done over summer or what work was prescribed? Did he do it> Or… did the staff just say well that’s the way he shoots. Wondering.
good question but its hard to correct baked in flaws in a shooters style once they get about 15 or 16 years old - I'd like to try, however.

Reaction Score

He has to prove he can make a shot
for the team ,of course, however his defense nullifies it somewhat , but his future earnings are pretty much directly proportional to his shooting %.

Reaction Score
There was a video posted here over the summer that showed Andre shooting 3's, and his form looked much improved over last year. I have to believe his finger is the problem. I think he'll improve as his finger fully heals, but I'd still like to see him finish those floaters in the lane.

Reaction Score
Regardless of his shooting, I'd like to see the +/- on a game by game basis. He was the second highest last night according to the Athletic (Diarra was first) and it hasn't been coincidental. He was on the court when they blitzed UMC Wilmington as well as much of the time against Oregon and he may be leading the team regardless of missing two games.

Reaction Score
Regardless of his shooting, I'd like to see the +/- on a game by game basis. He was the second highest last night according to the Athletic (Diarra was first) and it hasn't been coincidental. He was on the court when they blitzed UMC Wilmington as well as much of the time against Oregon and he may be leading the team regardless of missing two games.
+18 against Alabama, +11 against Oregon, +9 against Delaware State, +33 against UNCW

Reaction Score
To fix what is missing, he needs to work has tail off on every other facet of the game while he is playing including going after loose balls on the floor. His defense is second to none, and his leaping ability to take the ball off of the glass is at times spectacular. My heart breaks for the kid, because he has most everything, but his lack of being able to shoot puts him miles away from getting to the next level. it is inexplicable to me how the mechanics of his shot are not there. He shoots flat footed and just doesn't look comfortable on O. I wish the best for him, because he has so much talent.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
As I pointed out yesterday, Andre's pinky and ring finger are still taped together. Try shooting a ball with those fingers held together. He should shoot less until he's healed (only wide open 3s), but y'all are overreacting about his shooting ability. The same injury robbed Sanogo of all his touch at the end of last season. Patience.

Pretty decent crowd reaction after that make.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom