And the 2017-18 transfers have begun! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

And the 2017-18 transfers have begun!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I actually was here for both the Northridge and the Landers quakes. Not my favorite thing to live thru for sure. For me the Northridge quake was worse as I stood in the doorway and watched my grand piano shimmy 15 feet across the floor...
I put a like in but I ain't likin' that at all. I had a brief one once here in Brooklyn. It felt and sounded like a giant truck rumbled and roared by. I live on the 16th floor. At least you weren't playing that thing at the time. Talk about standing on the ceiling.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Because she signed a National Letter of Intent. Once you sign a NLOI you are forced to sit out a year if you transfer. The rule was implemented to help stop recruits from "jumping ship" on a school late if they all of a sudden got an offer from a more attractive school.
That's not necessarily accurate. South Carolina could have released her from her LOI and allowed her to enroll at another school without having to sit out a year.

But, Troup attended summer classes at South Carolina as a scholarship player, and that's what basically turns this into a transfer situation.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
When she committed to SC, Mizzou wasn't one of her finalist. Auburn,Texas, Texas Tech, and Vandy were her original finialist. All of a sudden Mizzou now in her top 2. Dawn recruited Haley to be a shooter so why would she not use Haley's talents? Believe what you want but Haley didn't leave because SC isn't a good team. I expect SC to come at Mizzou 2x harder this year. We still have Bianca Jackson, The Alabama Gatorade POY who is widely considered a better shooter then Troup. Them both together would have been great but SC if still fine with Jackson, Grissett, and Williams for the freshman class.
Troup started taking her official visits in summer 2016. Even though Mizzou was not listed as one of her original reported finalists, she did visit them last summer along with Texas Tech. She did not visit Texas officially. So, Mizzou didn't all of a sudden show up now.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Nikki McCray leaving had a lot to do with Haley's decision to leave. She was the main recruiter for Haley and they had a strong bond. SC will be fine nonetheless we still have three 5 star freshmen that could see a lot of time.

Why was Troup recruited by USC? Prospects Nation has her at the 98th best player and Hoopgurlz has no overall rating for Troup. They have her rated as the 30th best guard for 2017. She was expected to thrive at USC? She does not appear to be someone for USC particularly in light of the other 5 star recruits. Taking flyer to see what happens?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
To be sung to the Beverly Hillbillies Tune

The Beverly Huskyfan

Come and listen to a story 'bout a man named Eric.
Pure Huskies Fan that bordered on hysteric.
Then one day he was watchin’ on the tube,
and decided right then to be an LA dude.

Well the first thing you know Eric’s on a plane.
Folks all say that his posts just aren’t the same.
Said things are different we need to figure out the root
Of why his post now sound really, real astute!
If I could like that post 100 times I would... hey - you're a mod - I bet you could make that happen! Seriously, that was awesome. Equally as classic as the picture you did of me on the edge of the bridge years ago regarding some sort of angst regarding recruiting.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Why was Troup recruited by USC? Prospects Nation has her at the 98th best player and Hoopgurlz has no overall rating for Troup. They have her rated as the 30th best guard for 2017. She was expected to thrive at USC? She does not appear to be someone for USC particularly in light of the other 5 star recruits. Taking flyer to see what happens?

Sometimes a coach "accidentally" sees a player they like while recruiting another player.. in the case of Troup who was actually scouted by McCray while she was on the road recruiting Unique Thompson, a top-100 post player who ended up at Auburn...

Powerhouse schools take players that may be "lower" than their pedigree all of the time... even UConn (see Molly Bent/Kyla Irwin). Sometimes you need to fill out a class with a lower ranked player that brings a specific skillset.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Sometimes a coach "accidentally" sees a player they like while recruiting another player.. in the case of Troup who was actually scouted by McCray while she was on the road recruiting Unique Thompson, a top-100 post player who ended up at Auburn...

Powerhouse schools take players that may be "lower" than their pedigree all of the time... even UConn (see Molly Bent/Kyla Irwin). Sometimes you need to fill out a class with a lower ranked player that brings a specific skillset.

For sure. These players could also be slightly lower rated because they're not offensive power-houses and/or not tall bigs who ooze potential.

ND has one such player committed in the Class of 2018: Abby Prohaska, the 6'0" guard/wing from Ohio who is #70+ in Prospects Nation. While Prohaska certainly has a lot of technical skills, she's also well known for rebounding, sticking her nose into scrums, going after loose balls, diving on floors and playing tough defense, something MM was lamenting she didn't have enough of last season.
Kind of falls into that Hannah Huffman/Brittany Mallory mold. Every team needs them, whether they're on the floor at game time or during practice.

Reaction Score

Particularly to be a shooter. Troup is a great shooter, but she also has a great IQ and good passing skills. I didn't think she would see a lot of time unless SC steamrolled it's opponent. Down the line she may be a very good player and I'm happy she has found a new place to be successful.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Maybe it's just me, but your posts seem more astute since you moved from San Diego to LA. :rolleyes:
Give up the laid-back San Diego beach lifestyle for smog, earthquakes, traffic and gang violence? Say it ain't so! Next thing you'll be wearing tasseled Gucci loafers without socks, putting "product" in your hair and telling everyone that the best Italian-American coach/manager ever was Tommy Lasorda. C'mon Eric. It's not too late to change your mind and return to "America's Finest City."

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
If I could like that post 100 times I would... hey - you're a mod - I bet you could make that happen! Seriously, that was awesome. Equally as classic as the picture you did of me on the edge of the bridge years ago regarding some sort of angst regarding recruiting.
Well I don't remember exactly why you were threatening to jump off that bridge but the caption seems to imply that it was in response to the team record at the moment. In any event we are all happy that officer Schmerlich was able to talk you down. ;)

jumper.jpg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well I don't remember exactly why you were threatening to jump off that bridge but the caption seems to imply that it was in response to the team record at the moment. In any event we are all happy that officer Schmerlich was able to talk you down. ;)

View attachment 24512
THAT'S the one. Classic!!!

Reaction Score
Frosh Haley Troup of South Carolina to Mizzou

DIf0JDYW4AAGPBL.jpg:large
[/QUOTE

As the coach of the defending National Champs, Dawn has benefited from an accepting transfer protocol. We shall see if that productive flow continues after the graduation of her All American Center. The prediction for UCONN is that they too might get some help from a tall transfer.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Hmmmmm.

The #teacoopereffect

Maybe? Maybe not?? She is an elite guard that will get minutes and playing time.

Reaction Score
Hmmmmm.

The #teacoopereffect

Maybe? Maybe not?? She is an elite guard that will get minutes and playing time.

I felt Cooper had an effect on Bradshaw leaving. Especially with Henderson coming she knew playing would be limited and she would have been a junior so it was smart in her behalf to leave. SC now has 5 scholarships for 2018 so recruits now know that we aren't backed up with players and see playing time available.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Bradshaw is a true point guard. Coming in with Harris, Cooper becoming eligible next year and Henderson on the way also next year.... all of those factors definitely had a say. If Bradshaw wanted to be a point guard then she was not going to get that opportunity during her time here at SC... so good for her. She's too good to not get to display her talents and I wish her well at Dayton. I enjoyed watching her play.

As far as what this means for SC... I'm hoping we don't take 5 players in 2018 (highly unlikely). I think 3 is a solid number to take every year. Henderson and two more of either Smith, Nelson-Ododa and DeCosta..

But...... if they all wanted to come then there's room! :D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Waiting for the resident grammarian to chime in, but perhaps he is exhausted. Dayton getting a perpetual eligibility guard is a real coup.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom