And the 2017-18 transfers have begun! | The Boneyard

And the 2017-18 transfers have begun!

Reaction Score
Frosh Haley Troup of South Carolina to Mizzou

DIf0JDYW4AAGPBL.jpg:large

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Did Dawn lose a freshman PG a couple of seasons back?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Did Dawn lose a freshman PG a couple of seasons back?

Yes, Canadian Shay Colley who played with Kia on Team Canada in the recent FIBA Americup. Colley left South Carolina in January 2016, transferred to Pitt and then transferred to Michigan State. I think she'll be eligible to play for MSU in the upcoming season.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I am sort of confused. If practices haven't officially started, why does the NCAA require the one year sit out time? Doesn't seem right to me...(I could care less about this player, it's the rule that I find confusing.)

Reaction Score
I am sort of confused. If practices haven't officially started, why does the NCAA require the one year sit out time? Doesn't seem right to me...(I could care less about this player, it's the rule that I find confusing.)

Because she signed a National Letter of Intent. Once you sign a NLOI you are forced to sit out a year if you transfer. The rule was implemented to help stop recruits from "jumping ship" on a school late if they all of a sudden got an offer from a more attractive school.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Because she signed a National Letter of Intent. Once you sign a NLOI you are forced to sit out a year if you transfer. The rule was implemented to help stop recruits from "jumping ship" on a school late if they all of a sudden got an offer from a more attractive school.
Ah, now I am not confused. Thanks for the explanation!!

Reaction Score
Wow! That's unusual. She pulled an EDD by leaving before the start of the fall semester.

Nikki McCray leaving had a lot to do with Haley's decision to leave. She was the main recruiter for Haley and they had a strong bond. I also hear talk that Robin Pingeton never stopped recruiting Haley and jumped on Haley relatively quick as soon as she decided to leave. If that's so it makes me like her much less. I certainly wish Haley well and I will still be a fan because she has a very unique game.

SC will be fine nonetheless we still have three 5 star freshmen that could see a lot of time. Also opens up a scholarship for the 2018 class. Dawn can now take 4 players. Preferably N. Smith, ONO, and Janai Crooms to go along with D. Henderson. That would be a great class if so.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
SC and Mizzou had been Haley's final two. There was no poaching -- Haley just knew that the door at Mizzou was still open. I felt that Haley's three-point shooting was a much better fit for Mizzou, a team that uses the three as a central part of its offense -- than it was for South Carolina. Apparently, after being with SC for a while Haley got to feel that way too. I don't think this is a big loss for SC -- except maybe some PR tarnish -- but it's a good get for Mizzou and could maybe get a few more kids from AL, GA, MS and TN looking their way in the future.

Joining the SEC has turned into a big plus for Mizzou and they are starting to broaden their recruiting efforts. The third place finish in the SEC (to the two NCAA Tourney finalists) and the big win against South Carolina helped. They'll need another top four conference finish in the SEC to keep that momentum, and maybe a round further in the Tourneys. And if they stay injury-free, cut back on the turnovers, and get solid point guard play, they just might have the horses to get it done.

Reaction Score
SC and Mizzou had been Haley's final two. There was no poaching -- Haley just knew that the door at Mizzou was still open. I felt that Haley's three-point shooting was a much better fit for Mizzou, a team that uses the three as a central part of its offense -- than it was for South Carolina. Apparently, after being with SC for a while Haley got to feel that way too. I don't think this is a big loss for SC -- except maybe some PR tarnish -- but it's a good get for Mizzou and could maybe get a few more kids from AL, GA, MS and TN looking their way in the future.

Joining the SEC has turned into a big plus for Mizzou and they are starting to broaden their recruiting efforts. The third place finish in the SEC (to the two NCAA Tourney finalists) and the big win against South Carolina helped. They'll need another top four conference finish in the SEC to keep that momentum, and maybe a round further in the Tourneys. And if they stay injury-free, cut back on the turnovers, and get solid point guard play, they just might have the horses to get it done.

When she committed to SC, Mizzou wasn't one of her finalist. Auburn,Texas, Texas Tech, and Vandy were her original finialist. All of a sudden Mizzou now in her top 2. Dawn recruited Haley to be a shooter so why would she not use Haley's talents? Believe what you want but Haley didn't leave because SC isn't a good team. I expect SC to come at Mizzou 2x harder this year. We still have Bianca Jackson, The Alabama Gatorade POY who is widely considered a better shooter then Troup. Them both together would have been great but SC if still fine with Jackson, Grissett, and Williams for the freshman class.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
When she committed to SC, Mizzou wasn't one of her finalist. Auburn,Texas, Texas Tech, and Vandy were her original finialist. All of a sudden Mizzou now in her top 2. Dawn recruited Haley to be a shooter so why would she not use Haley's talents? Believe what you want but Haley didn't leave because SC isn't a good team. I expect SC to come at Mizzou 2x harder this year. We still have Bianca Jackson, The Alabama Gatorade POY who is widely considered a better shooter then Troup. Them both together would have been great but SC if still fine with Jackson, Grissett, and Williams for the freshman class.

From Troup:

Troup moves in at Missouri on Saturday. She said Mizzou was in the final two when she decided to go to South Carolina while at Gadsden City.

After she got her release from USC, Troup and her family reached out to the Tigers to see if a spot was open.

“They said they would still love to have me,” Troup said. “It’s a great program. ... I’m just grateful they gave me a second opportunity to play in the SEC.”

According to this story in her hometown paper, Troup also said that McCray, her top recruiter, leaving SC for ODU was a factor.

Basketball star Troup leaves South Carolina, transfers to Mizzou

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
From Troup:

Troup moves in at Missouri on Saturday. She said Mizzou was in the final two when she decided to go to South Carolina while at Gadsden City.

After she got her release from USC, Troup and her family reached out to the Tigers to see if a spot was open.

“They said they would still love to have me,” Troup said. “It’s a great program. ... I’m just grateful they gave me a second opportunity to play in the SEC.”

According to this story in her hometown paper, Troup also said that McCray, her top recruiter, leaving SC for ODU was a factor.

Basketball star Troup leaves South Carolina, transfers to Mizzou
That ought to put to rest the "Pingeton poached her" comments. Having said that, and no disrespect meant to Haley, but she was rated a 3-star recruit by HG and not even in their top 100. That means she was rated about the same level as Kyla and Molly. I don't think any of those 3 players were/are projected to be anything more than role players at programs like UCONN or SC.

Doesn't mean they aren't great kids, student athletes, and teammates - by all accounts Kyla and Molly excel (and then some) in that category. But from a PT perspective, the last 4-8 minutes of a game is likely the ceiling for those players. She will likely have more chances to make an impact at Mizzou.

I also wouldn't get overly excited if I were a SC fan vis-a-vis the "we got three 5-star recruits". HG has no less than 52 kids rated 5 stars. The top 21 were given a ranking of 98, and of those 21, SC got exactly 0. Their highest rated recruit was #23 (Grisset) (for reference, Gordon was ranked #29) followed by Jackson (#43 - 96 rating) and Williams (#48 - 96 rating). It was rated the 10th best class in the nation, and while solid, certainly not spectacular...

Now fast forward to 2018 - they already have a top 10 kid in Henderson. Not sure who else they feel they "lead" for of the remaining kids, but already it's shaping up to be a much better class. Getting 1 top 10 kid is usually better than a bunch of kids rated in the 25-50 range...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That ought to put to rest the "Pingeton poached her" comments. Having said that, and no disrespect meant to Haley, but she was rated a 3-star recruit by HG and not even in their top 100. That means she was rated about the same level as Kyla and Molly. I don't think any of those 3 players were/are projected to be anything more than role players at programs like UCONN or SC.

Doesn't mean they aren't great kids, student athletes, and teammates - by all accounts Kyla and Molly excel (and then some) in that category. But from a PT perspective, the last 4-8 minutes of a game is likely the ceiling for those players. She will likely have more chances to make an impact at Mizzou.

I also wouldn't get overly excited if I were a SC fan vis-a-vis the "we got three 5-star recruits". HG has no less than 52 kids rated 5 stars. The top 21 were given a ranking of 98, and of those 21, SC got exactly 0. Their highest rated recruit was #23 (Grisset) (for reference, Gordon was ranked #29) followed by Jackson (#43 - 96 rating) and Williams (#48 - 96 rating). It was rated the 10th best class in the nation, and while solid, certainly not spectacular...

Now fast forward to 2018 - they already have a top 10 kid in Henderson. Not sure who else they feel they "lead" for of the remaining kids, but already it's shaping up to be a much better class. Getting 1 top 10 kid is usually better than a bunch of kids rated in the 25-50 range...
Maybe it's just me, but your posts seem more astute since you moved from San Diego to LA. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Never did I say it was Spectacular, I just stated we would be fine with the loss of Troup. Each of the freshman bring something different to the team that will be vital. Jackson is a great shooter, Grissett does all the small things, and Williams is solid in the the paint and on the perimeter. Remember Ty Harris was rated #28 overall and the ninth best point guard by Hoopgurlz. She lead SC to its first national championship and also set a new USA u19 record this summer. Doesn't seem like the 9th best point guard in a class to me. Rankings are like politics, everyone has a certain opinions of certain players. Dawn knows what her freshman bring to the table and I can guarantee you it will ba a lot.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yes, Canadian Shay Colley who played with Kia on Team Canada in the recent FIBA Americup. Colley left South Carolina in January 2016, transferred to Pitt and then transferred to Michigan State. I think she'll be eligible to play for MSU in the upcoming season.

Thanks. Now I remember. There is a story there, but I'm not at all certain of its bona fides.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's just me, but your posts seem more astute since you moved from San Diego to LA. :rolleyes:

Strange, od. I always heard that when you live on the West Coast you lose 2 points of your IQ every year--regardless of whether you're in SD or LA. Perhaps the issue is more complex. Anyway, Eric, nice post.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Meh.

I hate to see Haley go but if there's any area we could afford to lose a player, it's in the backcourt..

With Cooper and Henderson joining the fold next year I'm still speculating that we'll have even more departures after this season..

Harris, Cuevas-Moore, Cliney, Spann, Bradshaw, Patrick.. those are all 1-2 guards, then you would've had Jackson and Troup to factor in as well.. We are WAY too heavy at the 1-2 positions.

We need bigger wings/guards.. that's why I'm glad to see SC getting involved with nearly every big wing/SF in the 2019 class because we need them.

Good luck to Haley. She will do very well at Mizzou. That is a spread the floor/shooters offense.. so she'll have more than enough opportunities to show off her skill set.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just wait until that first quake hits. We may need to change his name to EricGoGaGa.
I actually was here for both the Northridge and the Landers quakes. Not my favorite thing to live thru for sure. For me the Northridge quake was worse as I stood in the doorway and watched my grand piano shimmy 15 feet across the floor...

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
LOL! Smartass!!

To be sung to the Beverly Hillbillies Tune

The Beverly Huskyfan

Come and listen to a story 'bout a man named Eric.
Pure Huskies Fan that bordered on hysteric.
Then one day he was watchin’ on the tube,
and decided right then to be an LA dude.

Well the first thing you know Eric’s on a plane.
Folks all say that his posts just aren’t the same.
Said things are different we need to figure out the root
Of why his post now sound really, real astute!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom