And Some Other (off the floor) Game Musings.... | The Boneyard

And Some Other (off the floor) Game Musings....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
The crowd. Well, l know that it didn’t come close to the 15k “challenge” issued by John A. My eyeball said somewhere in the 10-11K range. Not bad, not great either. Decent energy but not great either. The big disappointment was the Student section. Was there even 50? Not badmouthing them. The student section at Gampel has been growing steadily the last couple years in no small part to the efforts made by coach. His post game interaction with the students is a show in itself. In my opinion, UConn, long term, needs their sports venues on (or very near) campus if they are ever going to build the crazy level of student support that the big schools seem to enjoy. That’s just one of those things that won’t ever get done right with public monies.

The Maryland sections were not very full. I thought that there might be more seeing the relatively short distance. I’ll give the few that did travel credit that, when something good happened for the Terps, you could hear them.

The Freeze sure does a lot of cheerleading on the sideline. Her reputation of “relying” on her assistants was evident at time outs. More than half the time was spent with the coaching staff huddled together and Brenda getting inputs from them. Then she went to her stool and gave her message to the waiting team. Not saying that’s anything bad, but that’s her style.

You are never going to convince me that we need a DJ at a basketball game. We have a full band, a cheerleading squad and a dance team. We have (corporate sponsored) contests, Tee shirt tosses Blaring music and videos. We really need a DJ too?

Speaking of the demographics at the games, the beer booths at the Women’s games must make 10% of the money as at the Men’s games….I’m just sayin’

It was great to see Huskybill looking so well. He admitted that he is not yet back to 100% and I believe him as he was a little short on jokes last night (sorry Bill). He does promise to be back to his old self very soon.

It was nice of DannyK to take that group picture last night. One of our larger gatherings in a while and we had several first timers. However my witness protection program took a big hit. Off to a new local and new identity. Don’t tell anyone but I hear they are moving me to Knoxville. I’ll soon be known as VolBiff.

Lastly, I did have a negative experience last night that took away from my game experience. I sat at the end of a small group of acquaintances. On my left was a stranger (man). I really don’t care that he didn’t stand for the team intros or stand or clap for the team at the beginning of the halves. But what was a drag was that his only utterances throughout the game were profane negatives. F@#@*&, hang on to the ball. Come on , push ##@%$ing ball. She shouldn’t be F@#&*%%ing in there, should be playing. CMon . What kinf of F#@$&*@ing pass was that?

Now I can’t attest that he NEVER said anything positive, but the constant negative expletive mutterings sucked the energy out of me. He was like a pink elephant. Once I began hearing his mutterings, I couldn’t tune him out and honestly by the middle of the second half my internalized anger and irritation with it killed my game buzz.

He made it known repeatedly that one of the players for UConn shouldn’t be on the floor and his (obviously) favorite player should replace her. Geno apparently disagreed. His mutterings got a little louder as the game went on and the woman to my right tried to engage him in a little positive conversation about the goings on in the game. To me that only inspired him to rattle off some more negative waves.

Now I would never be confused with an exuberant positoid but I don’t understand how one can go through life looking at it through such negative lenses. I guess what really irritated me as I thought about it on the way home was that the guy really impacted the enjoyment of the game for me but he probably really enjoyed himself!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The official attendance was 11,645--not bad, not great. The crowd seemed pretty loud on TV. Way to go!

Do the students have a cheap charter bus option from Storrs? They should.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
All these musings (like 3 now?). It's almost like there is an Uprising

They will not control us
We will be victorious

Reaction Score
Now I can’t attest that he NEVER said anything positive, but the constant negative expletive mutterings sucked the energy out of me. He was like a pink elephant. Once I began hearing his mutterings, I couldn’t tune him out and honestly by the middle of the second half my internalized anger and irritation with it killed my game buzz.

He made it known repeatedly that one of the players for UConn shouldn’t be on the floor and his (obviously) favorite player should replace her. Geno apparently disagreed. His mutterings got a little louder as the game went on and the woman to my right tried to engage him in a little positive conversation about the goings on in the game. To me that only inspired him to rattle off some more negative waves.

Now I would never be confused with an exuberant positoid but I don’t understand how one can go through life looking at it through such negative lenses. I guess what really irritated me as I thought about it on the way home was that the guy really impacted the enjoyment of the game for me but he probably really enjoyed himself!

And that was with a 15 point UConn win....sheesh.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
You're a better man than I, Biff, if you went the whole game withou saying anything to your jerky neighbor.
People like that are the epitome of selfishness. They inflict their inferior language and their superior opinions on everybody within earshot, and do not care one whit about the impact on others. It's all about them.

I'd guess they drive just as self-centeredly and aggressively. My usual thought when I run into these inarticulate egotists is, "Some poor soul is probably married to that idiot".

Reaction Score
The bus from campus should be free and not just cheap. If we want to look big time we need to get a full student section at the XL. If it takes more than one bus the school needs to pony up.

Reaction Score
Hey, at Gampel I once saw some beefy mid-thirties hayseed wrestle an 8-year -old girl for a T-shirt catapulted into the crowd. Left the kid in tears.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You're a better man than I, Biff, if you went the whole game withou saying anything to your jerky neighbor.
People like that are the epitome of selfishness. They inflict their inferior language and their superior opinions on everybody within earshot, and do not care one whit about the impact on others. It's all about them.
Well I'm not so sure about inferior language. "F" how did he spell it? "@#@*&" is probably the greatest word ever invented. Extremely useful and very versatile. It can be used as a noun, adjective, verb, adverb. Has many meanings. Can show numerous feelings. As creative as the imagination of the user.

As for superior opinions? Well that depends on who was. ;)

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
At a Supershow, some woman in her forties once tried to wrestle with a middle-school age Ursusminor for a T-shirt. THAT was a mistake. Ursus was a stud 3rd baseman, and power forward. Lady had to go get ice for her fingers.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
The crowd. Well, l know that it didn’t come close to the 15k “challenge” issued by John A. My eyeball said somewhere in the 10-11K range. Not bad, not great either. Decent energy but not great either. The big disappointment was the Student section. Was there even 50? Not badmouthing them. The student section at Gampel has been growing steadily the last couple years in no small part to the efforts made by coach. His post game interaction with the students is a show in itself. In my opinion, UConn, long term, needs their sports venues on (or very near) campus if they are ever going to build the crazy level of student support that the big schools seem to enjoy. That’s just one of those things that won’t ever get done right with public monies.

The Maryland sections were not very full. I thought that there might be more seeing the relatively short distance. I’ll give the few that did travel credit that, when something good happened for the Terps, you could hear them.

The Freeze sure does a lot of cheerleading on the sideline. Her reputation of “relying” on her assistants was evident at time outs. More than half the time was spent with the coaching staff huddled together and Brenda getting inputs from them. Then she went to her stool and gave her message to the waiting team. Not saying that’s anything bad, but that’s her style.

You are never going to convince me that we need a DJ at a basketball game. We have a full band, a cheerleading squad and a dance team. We have (corporate sponsored) contests, Tee shirt tosses Blaring music and videos. We really need a DJ too?

Speaking of the demographics at the games, the beer booths at the Women’s games must make 10% of the money as at the Men’s games….I’m just sayin’

It was great to see Huskybill looking so well. He admitted that he is not yet back to 100% and I believe him as he was a little short on jokes last night (sorry Bill). He does promise to be back to his old self very soon.

It was nice of DannyK to take that group picture last night. One of our larger gatherings in a while and we had several first timers. However my witness protection program took a big hit. Off to a new local and new identity. Don’t tell anyone but I hear they are moving me to Knoxville. I’ll soon be known as VolBiff.

Lastly, I did have a negative experience last night that took away from my game experience. I sat at the end of a small group of acquaintances. On my left was a stranger (man). I really don’t care that he didn’t stand for the team intros or stand or clap for the team at the beginning of the halves. But what was a drag was that his only utterances throughout the game were profane negatives. F@#@*&, hang on to the ball. Come on , push ##@%$ing ball. She shouldn’t be F@#&*%%ing in there, should be playing. CMon . What kinf of F#@$&*@ing pass was that?

Migawd! Sounds like the return of bballxxxxx, or mebbe StopnPop. Sheesh!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
At a Supershow, some woman in her forties once tried to wrestle with a middle-school age Ursusminor for a T-shirt. THAT was a mistake. Ursus was a stud 3rd baseman, and power forward. Lady had to go get ice for her fingers.

I never touched her. I wasn't even in the state that night.

Reaction Score
I had someone tweeting me last night that Bria should be redshirted since she's doing nothing and Stewart is overrated.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I never touched her. I wasn't even in the state that night.

She needed healing, Ice: she needed healing. I can understand your confusion.;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I had someone tweeting me last night that Bria should be redshirted since she's doing nothing and Stewart is overrated.
You know what they say about opinions....

Reaction Score
The big disappointment was the Student section. Was there even 50? Not badmouthing them. T

Weeknight. Probably the final days of classes. Tough time.

Reaction Score
Do the students have a cheap charter bus option from Storrs? They should.

As of last season students had to buy a ticket for the bus prior to game day. They stopped selling them the day before the game and the bust ticket cost $4 (twice the student ticket price).

Now, I don't know if that changed between last year and this year, but it always seemed like the school was trying to get students to NOT come to games. Very inconvenient and dumb. If you decided to attend the game day of, it was too late to get a bus ticket that already was twice the price of the game ticket.

Reaction Score
In their defense though, the school has gotta be able to plan ahead to know how many buses to rent. And if they made it free, then folks might get on just to get a free ride to/from Hartford and not even go to the game.

It would seem, though, they should offer last chance tickets to be sold that day -- but limited to the number of empty seats still left on the bus.

Reaction Score
In their defense though, the school has gotta be able to plan ahead to know how many buses to rent. And if they made it free, then folks might get on just to get a free ride to/from Hartford and not even go to the game.

It would seem, though, they should offer last chance tickets to be sold that day -- but limited to the number of empty seats still left on the bus.

I agree that the school needs to know how many buses, but I always thought that there had to be a better way for them to go about the bus situation.

For example they could ask students to "sign-up" (maybe online or through email rather than in person), but leave space for more students who were unable to do so during the week or decided last minute, and to get on the bus you just show your game ticket to make sure students are taking the bus for the game.

Reaction Score
, and to get on the bus you just show your game ticket to make sure students are taking the bus for the game.

Right, but game tickets are $2? If you dont charge for the bus, then folks could just buy a ticket and not go.

Reaction Score
Right, but game tickets are $2? If you dont charge for the bus, then folks could just buy a ticket and not go.

Students buy tickets for the season at the beginning of the year in a package deal, so you pay $20 for 10 games at the XL center (plus a minimal processing fee of $6 or so) and those are the only available "student section" tickets. Students can't buy a "Student section" ticket day of, it's a lottery system before the season starts.

Reaction Score

Morons know not what they say. Bria, Caroline, and Brianna are not point guards. They became point guards out of necessity and damn good it you ask me. Playing point guard is the toughest position on the floor, since you are in command. There was nothing in their backgrounds to prepare them for the job; they're learning as the play. Those three are the least of our worries. As for Breanna, when she becomes one of the greatest women's college basketball players ever, your tweeter is going to have to eat his words.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
[. As for Breanna, when she becomes one of the greatest women's college basketball players ever, your tweeter is going to have to eat his words.[/quote]

Yup. Shredded Tweet!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom