Opp Turnovers/gm
……………………………………....17.6……………………………………………..19.0

Points off Turnovers/gm
……………………………...22.6…………………………………………….20.8

Steals / gm
…………………………………………………...10.2………………………………………………11.3

Blks / gm
………………………………………………………..3.4………………………………………………...2.9

Coach Bruno always gets his band of sharpshooters up for UConn. You already know they will hoist up a ton of threes. They average 25 three-pointers per game and they will move the ball well around the perimeter looking for an open three. This team is not big as they will start Anaya Peoples 5'11" Graduate Student, Jorie Allen 6'0" Graduate Student, Katlyn Gilbert 5'10" Graduate Student, Maeve McErlane 5'10" Sophomore and, Michelle Sidor 5'9" Graduate Student. The biggest player off the bench is Brynn Markewich at 6'3" but, she only averages 11 minutes per game. Look for Kate Clarke to be off the bench early and play a lot of minutes as she averages 24.6 minutes.

Anaya Peoples is one of four graduate students who start Doug Bruno and she is their most productive player averaging 17.6 points, 7.5 rebounds, 3.6 assists, and 2.8 steals per game. Anaya transferred last year from Notre Dame. She has over 500 career rebounds.

Jorie Allen started her career at Indiana and transferred to DePaul for her sophomore year. She is also a graduate student who 10.7 points, 6.5 rebounds, 2.8 assists, and 1.2 steals per game.

Katlyn Gilbert is also a graduate student who averages 8.2 points, 4.8 rebounds, 3.0 assists, and 2.9 steals per game. Katlyn transferred to DePaul from Notre Dame after not playing her senior year. She played as a graduate student 2022-2023. Katlyn is currently using her last year of eligibility.

Maeve McErlane is the only underclassman in the starting line-up. Maeve is a sophomore and averages 4.4 points, 2.1 rebounds, 2.8 assists, 1.2 three-pointers per game while averaging 24.1 minutes. Last year against UConn she tallied 9 points and 4 assists.

Michelle Sidor the fourth graduate in the starting five averages 10.1 points, 2.4 rebounds, 2.5 assists, and 2.5 three-pointers per game. Michele transferred from Michigan to DePaul after her senior year which she only played one game due to injury.

Kate Clarke is a sophomore who could start or she will be quick off the bench she plays 24.6 minutes per game and she averages 11.1 points, 3.4 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 2.0 three-pointers, and 1 steal per game.

I believe this is going to be a grind-it-out game where DePaul uses a lot of the shot clock on every possession. Moves the ball around the perimeter and hoists up a lot of threes. They will play tough defense and they have a lot of players to throw at UConn. But, at the end of the day, UConn's starters will prove too much for DePaul, and UConn's bench will see some playing time...how much I don't know as it will depend on how successful DePaul is in keeping the score close. Ice will certainly get significant minutes as Geno knows how important she is going to be in the postseason. Q will also see significant time as Geno continues to look to build her confidence.

ANALYSIS

Aaliyah Edwards 6'3" vs Jorie Allen 6'0"
- Aaliyah just missed a double-double in what a very physical game. Her 16.7 points and 8.3 rebound average will be easily attained by Aaliyah in this game and Jorie will have a tough time defending Aaliyah. Jorie will have to be careful not to get into foul trouble...Brynn Markewich will be called upon to try and contain Aaliyah...she will not be successful and Aaliyah will dominate her match-up on Saturday. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Paige Bueckers 6'0" vs Anaya Peoples 5'11"
- This is a fitting match-up of DePaul's most productive player vs UConn's. Paige is averaging 19.8 points a game but as we saw in her last game she exploded for 32 points. I think Paige can score 30 points just about any time she wants to. Paige is also averaging almost 5 rebounds per game (4.7). Ayana is a very tough defender and she is DePaul's best rebounder with 7.5 rebounds and 2.8 steals per game. But, defending Paige will make it hard for Anaya to match her game statistics. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Nika Muhl 5'11" vs Katlyn Gilbert 5'10"
- Katlyn Gilbert averages 8.3 points and 4.8 rebounds to go along with 3.0 assists and 2.9 steals...Katlyn is a very productive guard for Doug and DePaul but Nika is a pest and will be in Katlyn's grill the entire game. Nika is averaging 7.0 points, 4 rebounds, 6.1 assists, and 1.2 steals per game. While I think this will be a good match-up I think Nika's defense along with UConn's team defense will make it hard for Katlyn to do what it is that she wants to do. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Ashlynn Shade 5'10" vs Maeve McErlane 5'10"
- Ashlynn was a little flat against Seton Hall. I expect her to have a bounce-back game on Saturday. Maeve averages 4.4 points and 2.1 rebounds a game...she is important to DePaul's offense because she averages 2.8 assists as well. Shade's 10 points, 2.2 rebounds, and, 1.5 assists will be enough to give her the advantage in this match-up but Ashlynn is also a good three-point shooter. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

KK Arnold 5'9" vs Michele Sidor 5'9"
- Michele averages 10.1 points, 2.4 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 2.5 three-pointers, and one steal per game...this is a classic stat-stuffer. This is precisely why KK would be a great match-up for her. KK averages 10 points, 2.1 rebounds, .3.3 assists, 8 three-pointers, and, 2.6 steals per game. Stat-wise these two players are close...but, with KK being as annoying as she is on defense again...I don't see Michele being able to accomplish the markers that she usually gets in a game. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

BENCH

DePaul brings 31.2 points and 16.7 rebounds off the bench while UConn brings 11.3 points and 7 rebounds off the bench. This would appear to be huge... ADVANTAGE - DEPAUL

INTANGIBLES

It will feel good for UConn to play in front of the home crowd at Gampel Pavilion. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

COACHING

I love Doug Bruno and so does Geno...but, DePaul's record against UConn is an abysmal 0 and 23... I think it is fair to say that the talent disparity as well as Geno's coaching acumen are enough to give... ADVANTAGE - UCONN.

SCORE

UCONN - 91
DEPAUL - 60

MOV - 31

Reaction Score
Thanks for this, @cferraro04! I share your opinion. This will be a 30+ point win.

I don’t know much about this roster beyond Peeples and Allen, both of whom have played against UConn several times in their careers. My sense is they are the heart of the lineup and they can’t match what Paige and Aaliyah will bring either on offense or defense. I’ll be very surprised if Nika KK Ashlynn and Q don’t overwhelm the rest of the roster. And Ice should get a good workout.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im looking for a blowout. I expect Paige and Aaliyah to see their minutes cut as UConn runs the score up. This should be a game where UConn can work on things and try different combinations. I hoping to see Ice Q Ines and Amari to get more minutes and give some of our starters a rest. We have Marquette and ND coming up.

Reaction Score
This game will be a good test even if it isn't a real close game in the end. Last time out UConn had a lot of turnovers and kind of got pulled into the mud with Seton Hall and that is something this team can't really afford to do against better teams. Paige and AE will do what they need to win the game but my attention will be on Ashlynn to see how she bounces back from a game that may have been less than she expects from herself. KK is starting to show consistency and UConn will be able to defend this team without too many problems.

Reaction Score
Great post as usual. I look forward to reading the info you have. It's a great starting point in my analysis each game. What I found very interesting is that 5 of their players (the transfers) all came from big time programs. Obviously they must have had good HS careers to get to Notre Dame, Indiana, Michigan, etc.
Also, many teams have an enormous amount of grad students and 5 year seniors.
I suppose this year and next will the last years of all these 5 year players. Some teams might have problems losing 5-7 vet players at once---to be replaced mostly with freshman.
Again thanks for your insights/stats each game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Free article from the Daily Campus

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Free article from the Daily Campus

from the article:

For the first time since Dec. 6, UConn plays on their campus when they host the DePaul Blue Demons on Saturday.

THAT is a damn shame.

one of the things i hate about uconn: its shunning of gampel. the team and the WCBB are cheated. the only beneficiaries are the state's wallet and some (attending) fans. ... oh, and a sprinkling of downtown businesses.

a poor bargain, i say.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
DePaul never seems to play well here. Losses all by over twenty points in recent years including a 94-51 blowout last year. That DePaul roster was much better on paper than this year’s version.

They are a weird team to play and I used to worry about that, and they have been tough at times but in Chicago.

Their recent 32 point victory over Xavier may have them feeling good but they also lost to Marquette by 31 a week ago.

Friends or not, look for Geno to come out with the same intense pressure we saw against Providence. Speed them up. As with the Seton Hall game, DePaul will tire out while UConn keeps motoring.

UConn did not defend the three all that well against Seton Hall, I suspect they are working on that today.

This will be over by halftime if not sooner. Probably a 25-30 point win that could be worse if Geno wanted, which he won’t.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
from the article:

For the first time since Dec. 6, UConn plays on their campus when they host the DePaul Blue Demons on Saturday.

THAT is a damn shame.

one of the things i hate about uconn: its shunning of gampel. the team and the WCBB are cheated. the only beneficiaries are the state's wallet and some (attending) fans. ... oh, and a sprinkling of downtown businesses.

a poor bargain, i say.
Uconn is State of Connecticut university. It generates revenue for the State, which feeds it back to the University. Otherwise, taxpayers alone are on the hook for funding UConn

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
yep ... but the added moola is not a good return on the gampel sacrifice, i say. there are many ways for the state to raise money, and taxpayers are always unhappy with any outflows. they don't consider they are getting a great asset in the huskies, but ... so what, the size of 'my' tax contribution is top priority. anything else is irrelevant.

Reaction Score
Good analysis. Honestly, for some reason teams hit 3's against UConn. It's weird. Look at Seton Hall and Butler. Just unreal shooting that they normally aren't even close to getting.

So, will DePaul be on? Yes, could be closer, but UConn pulls it out. If they're off, could be 30plus win.

Reaction Score
COMMENTS

Let's start off with the tale of the tape:

Team…………………………………………………………..UConn……………………………………..DePaul

Pts per game
………………………………………………..84.1…………………………………………..75.4

Opp. Pts. / gm
………………………………………………59.2…………………………………………..67.4

FG percent
…………………………………………………….58.2…………………………………………..41.4

FG / gm
………………………………………………………...32.2…………………………………………..28.0

3 Point/gm
…………………………………………………....7.6……………………………………………..8.1

3 point percentage………………………………………38.3……………………………………………32.2

FT / gm
…………………………………………………………12.1……………………………………………11.3

FT percent…………………………………………………….73.1……………………………………………77.8

Rebounds/gm
……………………………………………...37.7…………………………………………….40.2

Assists / gm………………………………………………….20.4……………………………………………18.6

Opp Assists/gm…………………………………………...11.8……………………………………………14.6

Turnovers / gm
…………………………………………….13.4…………………………………………….14.5

Opp Turnovers/gm

Points off Turnovers/gm

Steals / gm

Blks / gm

Coach Bruno always gets his band of sharpshooters up for UConn. You already know they will hoist up a ton of threes. They average 25 three-pointers per game and they will move the ball well around the perimeter looking for an open three. This team is not big as they will start Anaya Peoples 5'11" Graduate Student, Jorie Allen 6'0" Graduate Student, Katlyn Gilbert 5'10" Graduate Student, Maeve McErlane 5'10" Sophomore and, Michelle Sidor 5'9" Graduate Student. The biggest player off the bench is Brynn Markewich at 6'3" but, she only averages 11 minutes per game. Look for Kate Clarke to be off the bench early and play a lot of minutes as she averages 24.6 minutes.

Anaya Peoples is one of four graduate students who start Doug Bruno and she is their most productive player averaging 17.6 points, 7.5 rebounds, 3.6 assists, and 2.8 steals per game. Anaya transferred last year from Notre Dame. She has over 500 career rebounds.

Jorie Allen started her career at Indiana and transferred to DePaul for her sophomore year. She is also a graduate student who 10.7 points, 6.5 rebounds, 2.8 assists, and 1.2 steals per game.

Katlyn Gilbert is also a graduate student who averages 8.2 points, 4.8 rebounds, 3.0 assists, and 2.9 steals per game. Katlyn transferred to DePaul from Notre Dame after not playing her senior year. She played as a graduate student 2022-2023. Katlyn is currently using her last year of eligibility.

Maeve McErlane is the only underclassman in the starting line-up. Maeve is a sophomore and averages 4.4 points, 2.1 rebounds, 2.8 assists, 1.2 three-pointers per game while averaging 24.1 minutes. Last year against UConn she tallied 9 points and 4 assists.

Michelle Sidor the fourth graduate in the starting five averages 10.1 points, 2.4 rebounds, 2.5 assists, and 2.5 three-pointers per game. Michele transferred from Michigan to DePaul after her senior year which she only played one game due to injury.

Kate Clarke is a sophomore who could start or she will be quick off the bench she plays 24.6 minutes per game and she averages 11.1 points, 3.4 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 2.0 three-pointers, and 1 steal per game.

I believe this is going to be a grind-it-out game where DePaul uses a lot of the shot clock on every possession. Moves the ball around the perimeter and hoists up a lot of threes. They will play tough defense and they have a lot of players to throw at UConn. But, at the end of the day, UConn's starters will prove too much for DePaul, and UConn's bench will see some playing time...how much I don't know as it will depend on how successful DePaul is in keeping the score close. Ice will certainly get significant minutes as Geno knows how important she is going to be in the postseason. Q will also see significant time as Geno continues to look to build her confidence.

ANALYSIS

- Aaliyah just missed a double-double in what a very physical game. Her 16.7 points and 8.3 rebound average will be easily attained by Aaliyah in this game and Jorie will have a tough time defending Aaliyah. Jorie will have to be careful not to get into foul trouble...Brynn Markewich will be called upon to try and contain Aaliyah...she will not be successful and Aaliyah will dominate her match-up on Saturday. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

- This is a fitting match-up of DePaul's most productive player vs UConn's. Paige is averaging 19.8 points a game but as we saw in her last game she exploded for 32 points. I think Paige can score 30 points just about any time she wants to. Paige is also averaging almost 5 rebounds per game (4.7). Ayana is a very tough defender and she is DePaul's best rebounder with 7.5 rebounds and 2.8 steals per game. But, defending Paige will make it hard for Anaya to match her game statistics. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

- Katlyn Gilbert averages 8.3 points and 4.8 rebounds to go along with 3.0 assists and 2.9 steals...Katlyn is a very productive guard for Doug and DePaul but Nika is a pest and will be in Katlyn's grill the entire game. Nika is averaging 7.0 points, 4 rebounds, 6.1 assists, and 1.2 steals per game. While I think this will be a good match-up I think Nika's defense along with UConn's team defense will make it hard for Katlyn to do what it is that she wants to do. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

- Ashlynn was a little flat against Seton Hall. I expect her to have a bounce-back game on Saturday. Maeve averages 4.4 points and 2.1 rebounds a game...she is important to DePaul's offense because she averages 2.8 assists as well. Shade's 10 points, 2.2 rebounds, and, 1.5 assists will be enough to give her the advantage in this match-up but Ashlynn is also a good three-point shooter. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

- Michele averages 10.1 points, 2.4 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 2.5 three-pointers, and one steal per game...this is a classic stat-stuffer. This is precisely why KK would be a great match-up for her. KK averages 10 points, 2.1 rebounds, .3.3 assists, 8 three-pointers, and, 2.6 steals per game. Stat-wise these two players are close...but, with KK being as annoying as she is on defense again...I don't see Michele being able to accomplish the markers that she usually gets in a game. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

BENCH

DePaul brings 31.2 points and 16.7 rebounds off the bench while UConn brings 11.3 points and 7 rebounds off the bench. This would appear to be huge... ADVANTAGE - DEPAUL

INTANGIBLES

It will feel good for UConn to play in front of the home crowd at Gampel Pavilion. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

COACHING

I love Doug Bruno and so does Geno...but, DePaul's record against UConn is an abysmal 0 and 23... I think it is fair to say that the talent disparity as well as Geno's coaching acumen are enough to give... ADVANTAGE - UCONN.

SCORE

UCONN - 91
DEPAUL - 60

MOV - 31
Katlyn Gilbert transferred from Notre Dame to Missouri and then to DePaul.

Reaction Score
Regardless of what is written about the "intensity", the three point shooting, or any other positive thing about our Big East opponents the true test of whether or not we have improved won't come until the Notre Dame game.

Reaction Score
COMMENTS

Let's start off with the tale of the tape:

Team…………………………………………………………..UConn……………………………………..DePaul

Pts per game
………………………………………………..84.1…………………………………………..75.4

Opp. Pts. / gm
………………………………………………59.2…………………………………………..67.4

FG percent
…………………………………………………….58.2…………………………………………..41.4

FG / gm
………………………………………………………...32.2…………………………………………..28.0

3 Point/gm
…………………………………………………....7.6……………………………………………..8.1

3 point percentage………………………………………38.3……………………………………………32.2

FT / gm
…………………………………………………………12.1……………………………………………11.3

FT percent…………………………………………………….73.1……………………………………………77.8

Rebounds/gm
……………………………………………...37.7…………………………………………….40.2

Assists / gm………………………………………………….20.4……………………………………………18.6

Opp Assists/gm…………………………………………...11.8……………………………………………14.6

Turnovers / gm
…………………………………………….13.4…………………………………………….14.5

Opp Turnovers/gm

Points off Turnovers/gm

Steals / gm

Blks / gm

ANALYSIS

BENCH

INTANGIBLES

COACHING

SCORE

UCONN - 91
DEPAUL - 60

MOV - 31
Gee, it sounded for a moment as if a basketball game might break out . . . If I were able to see the games, I might not think this worth watching. So, Geno, might UConn be the only Big Least team to go undefeated? Basically, we got 1 game left.

Reaction Score
Predict that Bruno will attack Edwards, trying to get her in foul trouble. If she is out of the game, more chance to double UConn's guards. Many teams that rely on the 3-ball seem to want to take their chances that they can play defense and stay hot throughout the game. Rarely works but unless you are SC with its All Americans, what other chance do you have?

Reaction Score
I always love it when we play DePaul. All about pace and space. Push the tempo and get points on the board. Type of game where if your shot hasn't been falling in previous games, this is the one where you can get into a good rhythm, if you are a shooter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom