An option for a Calhoun Statue | The Boneyard

An option for a Calhoun Statue

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
With over 6,000 views on the Retirement Gift- we will need to have a creativity cut off & vote- inorder to establish some sort of Fund account for a purchase or donation. There have been a number of strong ideas. I guess, the more I think about it, for the cost and temporary nature, a billboard, that might be tough. The statue idea is sweet, but I have no idea what they cost. It took my church forever to get one for a prayer garden. Also, where would we be approved to place it? If you like, I can reserve a small patch in my backyard, and teach the dog to take his business elsewhere.

Storrs would be the ideal location (on campus), but that might take some of the shine away from what the school plans to do anyway. Maybe downtown, by XL- make it a Must see on the way to games. Or, right inside the XL center lobbey as you walk into games!! If you give the Mayor an invite to cut the ribbon, they love that stuff and might designate an approved location. If so, I can't think of a better pose than this pic. Champion. How cool would it be to have a statue downtown donated by the Boneyard !!!!!! Time to price it & start raising some LOOT $$$

jim-calhoun.jpg

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A statue is not in the realm of the possible for a bunch of reasons.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Whatever the Yard as a group decides to do other than a Lump Sum donation to the UConn Foundation, will require a lot of Donors & giving options/creativity. I don't know if it's possible (mods) but when a GOAL is set, can there be a DRIVE with a Meter to register our progress daily/weekly on the Yard? ALSO, although the Yard is an incredible free forum and should remain that way, what about creating a Temporary POST or COMMENT- RETIREMENT GIFT TOLL $. For a period of XXX weeks or months, if you Make a Thread it's XXX dollars, if you comment under a thread it's XXX Dollars, (honor system?) paid as a TOLL for the Gift Goal. I know 1/2 the idiotic comments on this board could buy a few Calhoun statues in No time at all.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If stupidity were money, we could actually buy Jim Calhoun instead of a replica.

But since it isn't, this won't fly.

GemParty

Reaction Score
The dumber the post the more you pay. I'm sure I owe a few bucks myself, but I've read a few posters on the Conference Realignment Board, that would go broke!

Reaction Score
Guess I won't get an answer on why a statue is out of the question.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How about a hover pack? Always thought it would be cool to have one of those. If that's too much, maybe a shoe phone? Always wanted one of those, too. If we can't agree, I think I'll probably end up going with one of those leather money belts. If someone else wants to go in with me, we could look into monogramming his initials on the buckle. PM me if interested.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Guess I won't get an answer on why a statue is out of the question.
Maybe it's a location, cost, and image trademark challange? You might actually need JC's likeness approved by him? If it's entirely about cost, how about a Bronze plaque of some sort.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They're staggeringly expensive and we have no place to put one, save Gem's backyard.

If the school ever commissions a statue, it will be part of a much larger fundraising effort...as these things are.

Our best bet is to mold one out of butter some January day and put it up in front of Gampel in a well-orchestrated, well-boozed covert op.

Reaction Score
They're staggeringly expensive and we have no place to put one, save Gem's backyard.

If the school ever commissions a statue, it will be part of a much larger fundraising effort...as these things are.

Our best bet is to mold one out of butter some January day and put it up in front of Gampel in a well-orchestrated, well-boozed covert op.

I'm in!! LOL:confused:

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Looks like a billboard may be out of the question - looks like 5 figures for 4 weeks in the Hartford area.

Maybe we should set our sites lower like a gold watch?

Maybe a Timex?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What about the billboard near Electric Blue?

Hell, what about Electric Blue?

We can take the old man there and call it a night.

Reaction Score
He is absolutely statue material. Didn't Cam Newton get a statue? I know Tebow did.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
What about the billboard near Electric Blue?

Hell, what about Electric Blue?

We can take the old man there and call it a night.
Is Electric Blue really still there? Quite possibly the worst strip joint of all time.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
How about a sand sculpture. Import the sand from Hilton Head, just the way Coach likes it.

GemParty

Reaction Score
We could always grab some chainsaws & make one out of ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom