amore: stone update | Page 4 | The Boneyard

amore: stone update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They whiffed on Jalen Adams and Enoch?
No they don't count because we were supposed to get them. And, anyway, I think we've already established that one of them sucks because some poster's brother said so. And the other one will surely suck once he gets here.

Please pay better attention.

Reaction Score
Upstater, we were comparing role players in 99 vs 14. That team had depth I would long for on this team. Ricky won a championship game for us. Okwandu is way better than Nolan (so far). Rash could shoot and T Sam can't Would you switch young Ed Saunders for Lubin? Albie for Jr.? I would. With Purvis not 100% we don't have a second ball handler.
I guess I don't get the point. You think the bench is better this year than in 99?

Ricky won a championship game as a senior.

Okwandu is way better than Nolan? They're the same. People used to talk about Charles in the very same vein that we talk of Nolan today.

The point I was making is that the recruiting for that championship year is not different than what we have by this new staff. The team had two studs on it in Rip Hamilton and KEA with Freeman being the sort of middle of the road top recruit, but certainly not that top 20 level.

I guess I'm saying that UConn needs those two top 20s recruits with solid players all around after.

Jalen Adams, Daniel Hamilton, Rodney Purvis, Kentan Facey, Amidah Brimah, Steven Enoch, may win a championship at UConn. But only if Ollie grabs a pretty good point guard to help this crew. Is it so difficult to believe?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Don't disagree with that. And I posted earlier somewhere that we had 2-3 years of porer recruiting but the last 2 have been fine.
I just think those down years leave us a little thin for our bench. And yes I would prefer freshman Ricky. soph Rashad and Soph Saunders to T Sam, Lubin and Jr.Hope they prove me wrong. I think only having 10 players adds to the bench problem, but I understand why they did that.

Reaction Score
Don't disagree with that. And I posted earlier somewhere that we had 2-3 years of porer recruiting but the last 2 have been fine.
I just think those down years leave us a little thin for our bench. And yes I would prefer freshman Ricky. soph Rashad and Soph Saunders to T Sam, Lubin and Jr.Hope they prove me wrong. I think only having 10 players adds to the bench problem, but I understand why they did that.

I'm actually comparing Ricky and the others not to the 3 you've mentioned, but the likes of Brimah and Facey.

You're right about the Facey and Samuel class, and add to that Calhoun's class. Recruiting was down those years because of the transition and the probation troubles. Those two classes had nothing like a DHam or Jalen Adams in them.

Still need a point guard.

Reaction Score
Not Adams?

As far as I can tell, UConn doesn't have a lead guard for next year. Adams has a good handle but he is a combo guard ala Kemba Walker. Hard to imagine him running offense immediately. It's gotta be Samuel.

Reaction Score
upstater said:
As far as I can tell, UConn doesn't have a lead guard for next year. Adams has a good handle but he is a combo guard ala Kemba Walker. Hard to imagine him running offense immediately. It's gotta be Samuel.

Samuel has shown very little in the way of point guard instincts. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Adams ends up starting.

Reaction Score
BigErnMcCracken said:
Samuel has shown very little in the way of point guard instincts. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Adams ends up starting.

Adams probably has to start from day one. Cassell or Samuel could be a stop gap here or there as a back up, but we need Adams to just take the ball and not worry about any sort of a pecking order. Next year, Hamilton can be in more of a playmaking role at the wing to ease the pressure on a freshman lead guard.

Reaction Score
Lol. And this is why I never bother arguing with you.

Thank god for that, because what I stated was a fact: Adams and Enoch came on AFTER the championship, not before.

Reaction Score
If we go in to next year with Samuel as our starting point, god help us. To deny that outside of Hamilton our recent recruits aren't "UConn level" talent is absurd. We all know Nolan is bad and Samuel is at best a role player. But I think what concerns me the most is replacing our recent grads with players (excluding Hamilton) who's ceilings can't even come close to what we're used to. Next years class is good but doesn't solve our lack of offense on the post or shooting woes.

Reaction Score
People forget that the 99 team had a bench of four star players. Rash, Mouring, Edmund, and Antric Klaiber were all top 50ish recruits. Mouring was #34 when he commited, Rash was top 20 (although he dropped a bit), Edmund was as high as #12 although he dropped into the 50s, and Klaiber was #41.

Reaction Score
If we go in to next year with Samuel as our starting point, god help us. To deny that outside of Hamilton our recent recruits aren't "UConn level" talent is absurd. We all know Nolan is bad and Samuel is at best a role player. But I think what concerns me the most is replacing our recent grads with players (excluding Hamilton) who's ceilings can't even come close to what we're used to. Next years class is good but doesn't solve our lack of offense on the post or shooting woes.

The recruiting for next year is not over! Things will change and it will be positive, just wait.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The recruiting for next year is not over! Things will change and it will be positive, just wait.

I thought everyone on our list of offers just committed to UCLA though??

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
A little better than Lubin and the Sams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom