Amida Brimah needs help | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Amida Brimah needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Its like KO and the staff run a funeral home for front court players. Unbelievable.

Like Deandre Daniels? Or are people going to say he's a Calhoun guy even though he ended his freshman year as a confused mess with zero confidence.

Brimah's numbers meaningfully improved from frosh to soph year and he's missed most of this year with injury. He's also just 2 days off of possibly the best game of his career - a game where our frontcourt outplayed a good SMU team.

Facey was given every opportunity to seize control of the 4 last year and didn't do it. He showed flashes but was inconsistent and then tailed off badly. He's still inconsistent and now we have Shonn Miller. It is what it is.

Before the season started most would have circled a road game at Cincy less than 48 hours after a huge home game against SMU as a game we could easily drop. We did, it sucks, I hate losing too. But given what happened Thursday and the fact we lost today because all but one of our perimeter guys flat couldn't convert on offense, it's an odd time for the long knives to come out yet again for the assistants on this particular issue.

Reaction Score
Facey is the one who bothers me the most.

I don't think Phil Nolan has much talent and the fact that he is going to play four years and graduate from UConn is something of a monument to the kid's heart and mind. So if he's a career 1.5 point, 1.5 rebound player, so be it.

But Facey looks like a player. He yo-yos in and out of the rotation and it doesn't seem predicted on anything other than sometimes they see him and sometimes they don't.

Sometimes I see Glenn Miller perched on the edge of his seat and I wish it was a trebuchet that would fling him to some low-major job somewhere.

You are an idiot.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Like Deandre Daniels? Or are people going to say he's a Calhoun guy even though he ended his freshman year as a confused mess with zero confidence.

Brimah's numbers meaningfully improved from frosh to soph year and he's missed most of this year with injury. He's also just 2 days off of possibly the best game of his career - a game where our frontcourt outplayed a good SMU team.

Facey was given every opportunity to seize control of the 4 last year and didn't do it. He showed flashes but was inconsistent and then tailed off badly. He's still inconsistent and now we have Shonn Miller. It is what it is.

Before the season started most would have circled a road game at Cincy less than 48 hours after a huge home game against SMU as a game we could easily drop. We did, it sucks, I hate losing too. But given what happened Thursday and the fact we lost today because all but one of our perimeter guys flat couldn't convert on offense, it's an odd time for the long knives to come out yet again for the assistants on this particular issue.
DD plays 6-8 games with good post moves and now he's a poster child for front court development? Or is it that he was a heavily recruited 5 star player who is going to be bouncing around the D-League, Australia, and Europe? What does that say for development?

And Brimahs numbers are better because he doesn't play 12 minutes a game like he did freshman year. He's averaging 3.5 ppg and 1 rpg more than his freshman year, and he's also playing 5 more minutes a game.

Cmon the problem is evident. Amida is a perfect example. And it's sad.

Reaction Score
The most frustrating thing for me about watching Brimah is when he goes for a block he has no chance at and thus sacrifices position to box out. We got killed on the boards today.

Reaction Score
DD plays 6-8 games with good post moves and now he's a poster child for front court development? Or is it that he was a heavily recruited 5 star player who is going to be bouncing around the D-League, Australia, and Europe? What does that say for development?

And Brimahs numbers are better because he doesn't play 12 minutes a game like he did freshman year. He's averaging 3.5 ppg and 1 rpg more than his freshman year, and he's also playing 5 more minutes a game.

Cmon the problem is evident. Amida is a perfect example. And it's sad.

I said Brimah's numbers meaningfully improved from frosh to sophomore year. They did. He went from 16 minutes per game to 26 and more than doubled his scoring average while shooting 30% better. He also had a lower # of fouls per game in 10 more minutes a game. That's development.

This year, he was out for over a month and then dealing with the after-effects of the injury for several games after that. Under those circumstances it's impossible to get a true read on his development or lack thereof this year.

As for DD, he was a non-entity as a freshman and a draft pick as a junior. There's no legitimate argument about whether he developed.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I said Brimah's numbers meaningfully improved from frosh to sophomore year. They did. He went from 16 minutes per game to 26 and more than doubled his scoring average while shooting 30% better. He also had a lower # of fouls per game in 10 more minutes a game. That's development.

This year, he was out for over a month and then dealing with the after-effects of the injury for several games after that. Under those circumstances it's impossible to get a true read on his development or lack thereof this year.

As for DD, he was a non-entity as a freshman and a draft pick as a junior. There's no legitimate argument about whether he developed.
Then Brimah is down to 19 minutes this year because he commits fouls that freshman big men are expected to commit. (As well as Nolan)

I just don't see development. Across the board. Facey is worse. Enoch and Brown will be failures too if they follow the current path.

Reaction Score
Facey is the one who bothers me the most.
Sometimes I see Glenn Miller perched on the edge of his seat and I wish it was a trebuchet that would fling him to some low-major job somewhere.

this laugh out loud funny comment numbed the pain. thank you fishy

Reaction Score
Brimah's only problem today was foul trouble. In the minutes he played, he was effective.

He wasn't that effective. You have to look at his choices on defense sometimes too. He made a huge error when he went for the block in the last 3 minutes and we were only down 5 because #1 he would have goal tended and #2 he left his guy all alone for the easy tip in. These are the type of mistakes that happen much more than people would like to hear. I mean you can't throw a fart out there after the game the other night, at least something?

Reaction Score
He could run the floor, catch a pass, and dunk, as well as block shots. He was arguably ahead of where Thabeet was on Day 1. Now it's looking like 3rd year Thabeet will be much, much better than 4th year Brimah.

The apparent lack of strength -- as well as basketball -- coaching is concerning.
Thabeet couldn't even catch a pass his freshmen year and went on to become a dominant center on a Final Four team by his junior year. It's frightening how little Amida has progressed in that same time frame.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Great thoughts - thanks
That's what some people on this board like to do - blame the coach, have unreal expectations, and are just plain oblivious to the obvious
Brimah came in as a project - plain and simple. He's no Okafor, he's AB. He doesn't have the basketball experience of even a Hilton A. I never thought he would be a NBA player but could be for a year or two on size alone.
Nolan was a nobody and not expected to do anything beyond a back up BUT he showed some fire, spunk and talent during the 2014 NC run
Facey came in as a NYC POY, yes, but never projected in my eyes, to be a 5 or even a 4. But that is all he has played. He is out of position for his size. BUT I do think he has talent but has not shown that where casted thus far.
In my circle of 20 plus close UConn friends I could count on one hand those who thought this game would be won. Playing a Cincy team that is a bad matchup, coming off a loss and on their court on senior day.
Falling behind by 8 set up a bad base - this team cannot play from behind very well at all.

Reaction Score
He wasn't that effective. You have to look at his choices on defense sometimes too. He made a huge error when he went for the block in the last 3 minutes and we were only down 5 because #1 he would have goal tended and #2 he left his guy all alone for the easy tip in. These are the type of mistakes that happen much more than people would like to hear. I mean you can't throw a fart out there after the game the other night, at least something?
Thank you Mau. Amida tries to block EVERYTHING and as you referenced, many times he foolishly goes for the block only to result in an easy put back. I'm sorry, but from a consistency standpoint Brimah is one of the most overrated players in the country. Following up the game the other night with 2 points and a handful of rebounds is inexcusable.

Reaction Score
Even forgetting about Brimah, it seems like some sort of player development malpractice that a kid like Facey is where he is as a junior.
As I mentioned in another thread, I had the privilege of speaking to JC at a dinner following the 12-13 season. He spoke glowingly about Facey, saying how "special' he was going to be. With proper coaching he should be so far ahead of where he is now. We also heard KO and players all highlight Enoch as someone who stood out prior to the season. We're seeing no signs of development in these kids and I don't think it's due to lack of talent. Getting a big man coach in here has to be priority #1 this offseason, especially with 2-3 more highly ranked big men on their way.

Reaction Score

I knew you were going to reference that play as soon as I saw that you had responded to me. It was a bad play, and it cost us a bucket. But that's one play. We were a better team with him on the court today than with him on the bench.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I knew you were going to reference that play as soon as I saw that you had responded to me. It was a bad play, and it cost us a bucket. But that's one play. We were a better team with him on the court today than with him on the bench.

Yup. I love Nolan, but he was a disaster today, and Enoch isn't ready to play meaningful minutes against a good front court like this. I don't have much faith that Brimah's gonna be able to stay on the court consistently moving forward, but he's our best hope at being a good team.

Reaction Score
I know it's hard to mention Omar, too, since he's been injured but the kid looked like he'd be in the league already after his freshman year. Now we're happy to get "Freshman Omar" back. Let that sink in - we're happy that Omar, as a senior, has been playing as well as he did as a freshman. Yes, he was hurt and plagued by injury, but he's a literal case of getting worse and then reverting to his freshman self. What kind of development is that on behalf of the coaches? And this isn't a knock on him since he's been giving his all to the program, stuck through when he probably could've transferred, etc. I love Omar, but it's coaching malpractice that he'll be leaving as good as he came in.

Reaction Score
What raw physical tools exactly? I don't see him as a good athlete.

He's just very lean and gets pushed around by college players. How could he remotely play at the next level?

If Brown reclassifies and Enoch improves over the summer I can't imagine Brimah is even a primary part next year.
Absurd...

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Brimah and Facey have both shown improvement in several areas of the game. Both are better free throw shooters and are fouling less per minute. Facey is much better as an offensive rebounder. But where they have both fallen short is that they are both still very weak. Brimah has had injuries that have hindered his progress, but neither has put in the time in the weight room to make them effective players. You can say that they are limited by their body type, but when I was deployed with young Marines I frequently saw people with similar body types put on significant muscle over a 7 month period. you can certainly blame the coaching staff for not holding them accountable, but most of this has to fall on the player

Reaction Score
Brimah and Facey have both shown improvement in several areas of the game. Both are better free throw shooters and are fouling less per minute. Facey is much better as an offensive rebounder. But where they have both fallen short is that they are both still very weak. Brimah has had injuries that have hindered his progress, but neither has put in the time in the weight room to make them effective players. You can say that they are limited by their body type, but when I was deployed with young Marines I frequently saw people with similar body types put on significant muscle over a 7 month period. you can certainly blame the coaching staff for not holding them accountable, but most of this has to fall on the player

Is it not the staffs job to push their players in regards to strength training...? In most football programs if you don't work with the weight staff in the off season you're removed from scholarship or dismissed from the team. I watch all these thin as rail freshman at other schools turn into absolute monsters. Patric Young is one that comes to mind.

Reaction Score
Brimah, Nolan and Facey are nearly the exact same players they were when they first walked on campus.

How people think that's all right is just so far beyond me.

I look at player development, the in-game coaching and conditioning and I wonder just who the hell is minding the store.

If Ollie's the right guy, then someone beneath him isn't doing their job. Make a move.
And yet if our guards could finish basic lay ups, we would at minimum have won both Cincinnati games and the home Temple game, and would be 12-2 in conference with a top 20 RPI. I'm not putting blown lay ups on the coaching staff, that's on the players.

Reaction Score
Brimah, Nolan and Facey are nearly the exact same players they were when they first walked on campus.

How people think that's all right is just so far beyond me.

I look at player development, the in-game coaching and conditioning and I wonder just who the hell is minding the store.

If Ollie's the right guy, then someone beneath him isn't doing their job. Make a move.
And you seem to have some weird revisionist history when it comes to how much our big men have improved in the past. Take a look at the stats and tell me how much Josh Boone improved over his 3 years. Or Oriakhi. Hilton made a giant leap his senior year, but his first 3 years? Pretty much the same guy.

Reaction Score
And you seem to have some weird revisionist history when it comes to how much our big men have improved in the past. Take a look at the stats and tell me how much Josh Boone improved over his 3 years. Or Oriakhi. Hilton made a giant leap his senior year, but his first 3 years? Pretty much the same guy.
You don't think Oriakhi or Boone improved from their freshman years? You're the one who needs to look at the stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom