Amida Brimah G League | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Amida Brimah G League

Reaction Score
I wouldn't post up Cobb or Diarra or Whaley either. Hell, Andre was a disaster in the league when SVG insisted upon feeding him in the post. So's DeAndre Jordan, so's Dwight (though to a lesser extent), so are a bunch of guys who we rightly consider to be amongst the best centers in the NBA.

Some guys just do not have the skillset, mau. It doesn't matter how big they are. Ollie's insistence that Brimah did was utterly ridiculous, and led to countless wasted possessions and live-ball turnovers.

It's not the kid's failure. It's the coach's.

Yeah ok. You can’t have a 5th guy out there without trying to throw it to him once in a while - 4 on 5, which is exactly what it was anyway minus Coppin, doesn’t bode well . So he has to play because he’s such a great defender according to you guys but how dare you ask him to play O? What is wrong with you people?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
This is funny. How dare you expect your big man to post up, or even be able to get a jump hook off never mind to the rim? What's a coach thinking trying to get his 5 man a look at the basket early? LOL

That highlight reel shows little to differ from the guy who played here by the way. He was real good against Coppin State too but at least Coppin State tried to play defense. He's a decent rim protector and we saw a few wide open dunks but you guys are priceless thinking that product on this video proved anything at all. Did we see him make a jump hook? Did we see if Diamond Stone shouldered himself in for easy buckets? No it was a highlight reel people relax - I love the KO haters jumping on stupid crap like this. Leave it alone you got your wish he's gone. Root for Hurley not against the past.

C'mon, mau. We're UCONN fans. We aren't happy unless we have something to bitch about! :rolleyes:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Yeah ok. You can’t have a 5th guy out there without trying to throw it to him once in a while - 4 on 5, which is exactly what it was anyway minus Coppin, doesn’t bode well . So he has to play because he’s such a great defender according to you guys but how dare you ask him to play O? What is wrong with you people?
Why do you think post touches are the only definition of "O"? Have you never heard of a screen-and-roll, or a weakside lob? Koumadje barely gets a single post touch per game and he's starting for a team that's in the Elite 8.

You're obsessed with an antiquated version of the game. Rim runners are a legit weapon – hell, the last 3 NBA champions have all been MUCH better playing with a rim runner than with a big man in the post.

Reaction Score
Why do you think post touches are the only definition of "O"? Have you never heard of a screen-and-roll, or a weakside lob? Koumadje barely gets a single post touch per game and he's starting for a team that's in the Elite 8.

You're obsessed with an antiquated version of the game. Rim runners are a legit weapon – hell, the last 3 NBA champions have all been MUCH better playing with a rim runner than with a big man in the post.

He couldn’t screen and roll he left early all the time and didn’t roll the right way half the time. He dropped lobs as much as he made the plays. He wasn’t a smart player at all but you guys are “obsessed “ with blaming everything on KO it’s pitiful. Its a damn highlight reel and everyone has an opinion still. Didn’t see the bad plays and decisions he made like he did at UConn.

Reaction Score
[Rodney] did get better at UConn sorry it is true. He just wasn’t what we thought.
1st, I didn't say he did not get better. I said it wasn't attributable to Ollie. 2nd, because you raised the issue, I'd say the numbers don't support your assertion. His last year at UConn he finished with a .372 field goal %. His worst of his 3 years on the court by a lot. He did improve on Frees, a bit on boards, and a bit on assists. To my eye test, he was fundamentally the same player when he left than when he arrived. Not a knock on him, at all. Guy was all effort.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Could not agree more! Same with with Purvis right? Struggled at UConn but was also the definitive late bloomer. If Ollie had any fault at all it was his tendency to recruit definitive late bloomers. Really just bad luck.
Late bloomer? McDs all-American—>mediocre college player—> dominate GLeague—> doing well in NBA

one of those is not like the other

Reaction Score
1st, I didn't say he did not get better. I said it wasn't attributable to Ollie. 2nd, because you raised the issue, I'd say the numbers don't support your assertion. His last year at UConn he finished with a .372 field goal %. His worst of his 3 years on the court by a lot. He did improve on Frees, a bit on boards, and a bit on assists. To my eye test, he was fundamentally the same player when he left than when he arrived. Not a knock on him, at all. Guy was all effort.

Ok so he did get better because no coach can shoot for their players. His defense was a ton better than when he arrived so you can elect to say that wasn’t KO but I will disagree.

Reaction Score
Late bloomer? McDs all-American—>mediocre college player—> dominate GLeague—> doing well in NBA

one of those is not like the other
he transferred from ncst because he was not playing well. he was then cut from the u20'team because he was regressing. The same yr rodney transferred. Kuran Iverson also transferred to Rhody, he was listed as a top 20 transfer that yr and preseason all conference team in the a10. He was considered to have more NBA potential then Rodney. How did Kuran do under Hurley's development. 2 yrs of average less then 10 ppg, no nba draft and now barely making it in the G league. Iverson is 6'9 n can shoot n dribble. There is no comparison between the development rodney got compare with Iverson. If Ollie is such a bad dude. why r the mature players like Shonn Miller n Gibbs praising him. BTW, Hurley's Rhody team was not the definition of discipline. One of his star seniors was arrested for assault last yr. His assistant Ty Boswell was arrested for disturbing the peace in the beginning of last yr. They were not punished. Boswell might be an assistant this year at UC. Ollie would never tolerate that crap. Just saying for all u who continue to bash Ollie

Reaction Score
No big can survive in the NBA if they can't consistently rebound. For an athletic 7 footer he was never taught how to fundamentally rebound. Always just relied on his length and that never changed during his career at UConn. That's my biggest issue with his development.

Reaction Score
This is funny. How dare you expect your big man to post up, or even be able to get a jump hook off never mind to the rim? What's a coach thinking trying to get his 5 man a look at the basket early? LOL

That highlight reel shows little to differ from the guy who played here by the way. He was real good against Coppin State too but at least Coppin State tried to play defense. He's a decent rim protector and we saw a few wide open dunks but you guys are priceless thinking that product on this video proved anything at all. Did we see him make a jump hook? Did we see if Diamond Stone shouldered himself in for easy buckets? No it was a highlight reel people relax - I love the KO haters jumping on stupid crap like this. Leave it alone you got your wish he's gone. Root for Hurley not against the past.

Mau

I am not a KO hater. In fact, I am incredibly disappointed because I actually think KO had the highest upside of any coach we could ever have gotten. Past alumni, career NBA veteran, highly respected, African American, god loving....he actually had all the tools to go into a room and compete with the K, Cals, Selfs of the world for recruits. He had the keys to the kingdom and it just didn't work.

But dude you gotta have some perspective. Not all 5 man are post players. Not in todays NBA or college game. Deandre Jordan, Andre Drummond, Whiteside, Noah, Magee, Tristen Thompson are just a few examples of big man in the NBA who rarely work traditionally in the post.

There is incredible value in being a rim runner then just scoring off lobs. It sucks the weak side defense in providing valuable spacing on the weak side for shooters.

This is a fact: KO did not put many of his players in the best positions for them to succeed. Brimah is great example. Gibbs and Miller are others.

I love KO and wish him nothing but the best. But I hope he reflects on his coaching and realizes he kept on forcing a round peg through a square hole and that was his biggest shortcoming on the court.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Again, I think you are underestimating the power of a rim runner. Watching Deandre or Drummond crash towards the hoop pay attention to what happen to the other 3 defenders during the sequence. Its like a black hole that sucks in defenders and frees up spacing for the wing players.

Thats part of the reason why players like Purvis do better in the NBA/D league. The spacing is better partially due to having a lot of defensive attention paid towards a rim runner whose FG% is like 99% on lobs and dunks.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Again, I think you are underestimating the power of a rim runner. Watching Deandre or Drummond crash towards the hoop pay attention to what happen to the other 3 defenders during the sequence. Its like a black hole that sucks in defenders and frees up spacing for the wing players.
To put it a different way: Vertical spacing provides horizontal spacing. Teams have to help against Capela because of the threat he presents on the lob, which means Houston's shooters end up with more time to do work.

I'd be shocked if Capela has more than 5 old fashioned post touches this entire season. But his offensive rating (126) is off the charts, and he has 5.5 offensive win shares because he's in a system that recognizes and maximizes his strengths.

Reaction Score
Amida as I said years ago was the biggest talent gone to waste during the Ollie era. Not playing to Amida's offensive strengths and playing zone defense neutralized a huge weapon like Brimah.

The dude was a beast and should have been a first round pick for us. There are not many big guys in the last 10 years that have had his size, length, athleticism, motor, and defensive presence as a package.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Part of the issue was he was a senior on one of the worst teams in UCONN history. It's hard to shine when it's a complete sh itshow out there.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Amida as I said years ago was the biggest talent gone to waste during the Ollie era. Not playing to Amida's offensive strengths and playing zone defense neutralized a huge weapon like Brimah.

The dude was a beast and should have been a first round pick for us. There are not many big guys in the last 10 years that have had his size, length, athleticism, motor, and defensive presence as a package.

That would be Jalen imo.

Amida was a worse version of Ater Majok. jmo though.

Reaction Score

You are very entertaining at least magic man. I think I need to smoke some of that gud stuff.:cool:

Reaction Score
Mau

I am not a KO hater. In fact, I am incredibly disappointed because I actually think KO had the highest upside of any coach we could ever have gotten. Past alumni, career NBA veteran, highly respected, African American, god loving....he actually had all the tools to go into a room and compete with the K, Cals, Selfs of the world for recruits. He had the keys to the kingdom and it just didn't work.

But dude you gotta have some perspective. Not all 5 man are post players. Not in todays NBA or college game. Deandre Jordan, Andre Drummond, Whiteside, Noah, Magee, Tristen Thompson are just a few examples of big man in the NBA who rarely work traditionally in the post.

There is incredible value in being a rim runner then just scoring off lobs. It sucks the weak side defense in providing valuable spacing on the weak side for shooters.

This is a fact: KO did not put many of his players in the best positions for them to succeed. Brimah is great example. Gibbs and Miller are others.

I love KO and wish him nothing but the best. But I hope he reflects on his coaching and realizes he kept on forcing a round peg through a square hole and that was his biggest shortcoming on the court.

Hey I have perspective many of you don’t. KO is at fault here because he recruited less than stellar talent. Many of them with low b-ball IQs to top it off.

Brimah would have been a nice big man coming off the bench for a typical UConn team nothing more. He averaged 6/5/2.5 as a Sr even without anyone coaching him he should have been a 12/7/3 guy if he improved at all.

This putting him into position to succeed crap is just whacked. He didn’t understand the game and was rarely where he was supposed to be for 4 years.

Anyway I’m done if KO coached him at all he would’ve been an AA. Lol

Reaction Score

Facey was a bigger loss in terms of potential.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom