OT: - American, who replaces 3 teams to Big 12 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: American, who replaces 3 teams to Big 12

Reaction Score
Some think if we were in through AAC we would be one if the teams going to the B12. Why? Our contract at Rentschler Field doesn't allow us yo play home games amywhrre else. Makes Boston and NYC useless.
Seriously
in the top 100 reasons why we’re not going to a “major” conference that’s about 101”
In case your asking why the State owns the Rent we are a state school
if we can add $15,000,000 in revenue to our athletic budget that clause would disappear faster than Randy’s retirement date of Dec.

Reaction Score
Marshall and App state, this puts the league at 10 football members. Might eventually add 2 more members I would assume, but would guess they don’t want to speed into a decision after some questionable additions in the last round of realignment
Why would App State leave the Sun Belt? Sun Belt is the 6th best football conference right now

Reaction Score
Temple and especially Memphis are sweating bullets now.
the aac getting destroyed and memphis in particular getting left out in the cold was my dream scenario. guys like emoni and duren arent signing up to play for penny if their best conference game is against SMU i dont care how much theyre getting paid.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
Some think if we were in through AAC we would be one if the teams going to the B12. Why? Our contract at Rentschler Field doesn't allow us yo play home games amywhrre else. Makes Boston and NYC useless.
The last time we were in the AAC, we were in the conversation and actually presented to the big 12 for membership. This time around, and for a variety of reasons, we were not even in the mix. Take from that what you will - but we are currently not even in the conversation.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
the aac getting destroyed and memphis in particular getting left out in the cold was my dream scenario. guys like emoni and duren arent signing up to play for penny if their best conference game is against SMU i dont care how much theyre getting paid.
I feel for schools like Memphis. They were relevant at one time, and have now been relegated to nothingness. Seems awfully familiar. While schools like Wake are riding on the coattails of nearby institutions into the limelight.

Reaction Score
I'm into adding Wichita State to the Big East. Good location for creating two even divisions, one on the East Coast and one between Wichita (yellow dot) and Cincinnati.

View attachment 69609
Wichita State only fields 14 sports and misses a lot of sports that Big East schools are expected to field teams in: no soccer, no lacrosse, no field hockey. It's also not easily reached by air. No direct flights east of Chicago, and mostly regional jets at that.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
Wichita State only fields 14 sports and misses a lot of sports that Big East schools are expected to field teams in: no soccer, no lacrosse, no field hockey. It's also not easily reached by air. No direct flights east of Chicago, and mostly regional jets at that.
Yup agreed. I don’t think they add any value. They sort of ruin the “mystique” of the big East.

Reactions: DCT
Reaction Score
I'm into adding Wichita State to the Big East. Good location for creating two even divisions, one on the East Coast and one between Wichita (yellow dot) and Cincinnati.

View attachment 69609

If that's your plan, I'd much rather fill it with a dot that's a little bit higher than the bulldog and a smidge to the right of the devil lookin' guy. I'm not sure what to put there... maybe a four-leaf clover or something? I don't know, just spitballing here.

(maybe they'll come to their senses one day??)

Reaction Score
The last time we were in the AAC, we were in the conversation and actually presented to the big 12 for membership. This time around, and for a variety of reasons, we were not even in the mix. Take from that what you will - but we are currently not even in the conversation.
Nobody knows what happens behind closed doors. We might have been informally approached and said no thanks.

Reaction Score
Nobody knows what happens behind closed doors. We might have been informally approached and said no thanks.
Or it was the other way around.

Regardless, our metrics were supposedly second to only BYU last time around. My suspicion is that we just aren't a good fit and everyone on both sides knows it. We should end up in a similar stratosphere money wise as the B12 will if we can get a good coach and win football games. We'd get an improved CBS deal and the Big East should be getting a bump too.

Reaction Score

The only school worth adding to the Big East that would actually say yes to an offer is UMASS. UMASS is 10 times a better fit than Wichita.

I know, we can't add UMASS because they might find their version of Calhoun and start beating us so we (and other local BE schools) keep our thumb on them to the detriment of the conference

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Or it was the other way around.

Regardless, our metrics were supposedly second to only BYU last time around. My suspicion is that we just aren't a good fit and everyone on both sides knows it. We should end up in a similar stratosphere money wise as the B12 will if we can get a good coach and win football games. We'd get an improved CBS deal and the Big East should be getting a bump too.
Totally agree. It could be we approached them Washington to New York loves hoops. We would be on an island again if we moved. Would like the football just not a fit

Reaction Score
I feel for schools like Memphis. They were relevant at one time, and have now been relegated to nothingness. Seems awfully familiar. While schools like Wake are riding on the coattails of nearby institutions into the limelight.
Stop. if we were on the brink of joining c-USA 2.0 then you’d really have something to cry about

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
The only school worth adding to the Big East that would actually say yes to an offer is UMASS. UMASS is 10 times a better fit than Wichita.

I know, we can't add UMASS because they might find their version of Calhoun and start beating us so we (and other local BE schools) keep our thumb on them to the detriment of the conference

Reaction Score
The only non power conference team you add to the Big East is Gonzaga. Everyone else is filler and adds nothing from a revenue and competition standpoint.

It is time for Gonzaga to join. The expected departure of BYU from the WCC to the Big 12 helps in this regard. That conference just got weaker.

#DaggerTreyTy
#GonzagaToBigEast
never happen

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UMass is the obvious candidate. Buffalo could be another. Marshall, Rice are viable options.

Reaction Score
At this point if your Temple do you follow UConn’s lead and go Indy? Put non-football sports in the A-10
The sentiment I get with Temple fans is they view Independence as a death sentence for football. Navy will definitely exit in football no way are they going to be satisfied playing Coastal Carolina UAB and App State, but Temple probably hangs on unless any of Memphis, USF, or SMU leave. TU fans seem to cling onto the Rhule years and believe the remaining AAC is on par with A-10 basketball (lol).

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
The sentiment I get with Temple fans is they view Independence as a death sentence for football. Navy will definitely exit in football no way are they going to be satisfied playing Coastal Carolina UAB and App State, but Temple probably hangs on unless any of Memphis, USF, or SMU leave. TU fans seem to cling onto the Rhule years and believe the remaining AAC is on par with A-10 basketball (lol).
That’s wild to me, I have reverence for Temple BBall and think A10 + Indy football is a good solution for them. I can’t understand what they think they’re chasing in football/conference realignment. They have lesser chance than us of joining a power football conference and are a terrible fit in the leftover AAC

Reaction Score
That’s wild to me, I have reverence for Temple BBall and think A10 + Indy football is a good solution for them. I can’t understand what they think they’re chasing in football/conference realignment. They have lesser chance than us of joining a power football conference and are a terrible fit in the leftover AAC
I agree, the leftover AAC may have a couple nice FB programs, but basketball is going to be a trainwreck, the travel will be awful for them, and most games are going to be on ESPN+ for even less money than was already on the table. I have no idea how Temple recruits to that schedule, getting to play Memphis and Wichita State twice a year isn't much to work with.

My guess is Navy gets out as soon as it's clear who the AAC is adding, then Temple takes the "UConn with the original AAC path": feeling out if this new reality is OK only to determine it's not and leave in 5-7 years.

Given the amount of buyout money coming from 4 schools, buy in money from 4 schools, tourney credits the leftovers get to share amongst themselves, that may be the most logical path since you can cash those checks then use that money to get out later on like UConn did.

Reaction Score
At this point if your Temple do you follow UConn’s lead and go Indy? Put non-football sports in the A-10
I think Temple’s best options are: 1) Indy football, A10 other sports or 2) MAC. AAC makes no sense with the potential new schools.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom