OT: - American, who replaces 3 teams to Big 12 | The Boneyard

OT: American, who replaces 3 teams to Big 12

MJ1

Reaction Score
So what 3 teams does the American bring in to replace Cinn., UCF, and Houston??
This hurts Football and Basketball.?

Reaction Score
Marshall and App state, this puts the league at 10 football members. Might eventually add 2 more members I would assume, but would guess they don’t want to speed into a decision after some questionable additions in the last round of realignment

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Georgia State makes the most sense for them by miles (location, relative quality of men's hoops & football). Marshall a distant second.

Regardless it sure seems like a dead conference walking.

Reaction Score
I'm into adding Wichita State to the Big East. Good location for creating two even divisions, one on the East Coast and one between Wichita (yellow dot) and Cincinnati.

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 4.31.30 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think they need to add 6 teams. The best bet to long-term survival is to still try to be the best of the rest. Boise won't come - but schools like UAB, Louisiana, Georgia State, App State, Coastal Carolina are all programs that seem like they could challenge for that NY6 spot. Maybe go to 16 with Rice and FIU & FAU. The path forward is to consolidate any football program with potential and fight it out with the MWC.

Reaction Score
I'm into adding Wichita State to the Big East. Good location for creating two even divisions, one on the East Coast and one between Wichita (yellow dot) and Cincinnati.

View attachment 69609
What's the point? The Shockers are the same as Dayton. They already added the best midwest/middle of the country programs in Marquette, Xavier, Butler, and Creighton.

Reaction Score
Question is whether AAC can hang on or whether MW and SB succeed in dividing up the only good teams left.

If Memphis and SMU bolt, AAC dead.

Reaction Score
Anyone think Buffalo may be a good fit ? Gives Temple another Northeast school. Okay Football and not bad in hoops.
My sister just started school at Buffalo so I'm going to be a fan for the next few years. But seems a level too low to be going if they did expand to 12, if anything go A10

Reaction Score
UNC Charlotte should be added to any list . Classic AAC team in a large city. Natural rival for ECU. Could see Ga St. (Atlanta) and Charlotte, joining New Orleans, Memphis, Dallas, Tampa. Temple will always be the outlier as the AAC will focus on the south

MJ1

Reaction Score
My sister just started school at Buffalo so I'm going to be a fan for the next few years. But seems a level too low to be going if they did expand to 12, if anything go A10
A10 does not have Football so Buffalo would not go there.

Reaction Score
A10 does not have Football so Buffalo would not go there.
Confused a few different posts, thought you were suggesting Buffalo to the Big East

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
They should add UAB, App State, and Richmond. I guess. Saw Georgia State and Marshall being tossed around. Either way it's not good.

Reaction Score
Buffalo, App State, Georgia State, UAB, one of the Florida C-USA schools seem like the most likely for AAC. They will probably add four. Maybe Army is interested now that the conference isn't so tough?

Army
Navy
Buffalo
Memphis
USF
Temple
ECU
App State
Tulane
Tulsa
SMU
Georgia State

That's not terrible. Obviously not "good" but it's still the 6th best conference.

Reaction Score
The AAC will survive because ESPN will want them to survive as ESPN likely makes a very nice profit off the AAC..

There are actually a number of quality southeastern football programs that can be added.

AAC basketball is in the toilet and will stay there.

Reaction Score
I respectfully believe that a number of you guys are way off base with regards to the future of the AAC. While it's never going to be a P5/P6/P Whatever conference, it's not dying. They actually have a number of solid options to fill the open spots, to include:

1) Charlotte -- obvious choice IMO due to media market and rising program
2) UAB -- the program redux seems to be on an upward trajectory. A footprint in the state with the most HS talent per capita can't be a bad thing for the league. Also a school with solid basketball history.
3) Rice -- brand-name Ivy-level academic school. Relationships with SMU, Tulane, Navy and Tulsa. Obvious fit and keeps Houston presence.
4) Georgia State -- Not much there as far as football tradition, but adding the Atlanta school makes sense. Too much potential to ignore and GSU has gone from CAA laughingstock to a lower-level bowl team fairly quickly.
5) Air Force as a football affiliate only -- less likely but worth a thought. They could play their other sports in Summit or Big Sky.
6) Marshall -- Excellent tradition, rabidly supportive fan base, great football. Their audition in Annapolis yesterday went very well.
7) Old Dominion -- has stunk at football since moving up from FBS but Norfolk/Va Beach market could be strategic, especially for recruiting. Also a great hoops program to add on to the league.
8) Buffalo -- likely the biggest stretch, but if the league wanted another eastern team to supplement Temple and Navy, Buffalo has been strong in both football and basketball lately.

By my count, AAC has 4 spots open to get back to 12, replacing UCONN, Houston, UCF and Cincinnati. My picks for expansion would be the following: Charlotte, UAB, Rice, Marshall

Reaction Score
Buffalo, App State, Georgia State, UAB, one of the Florida C-USA schools seem like the most likely for AAC. They will probably add four. Maybe Army is interested now that the conference isn't so tough?

Army
Navy
Buffalo
Memphis
USF
Temple
ECU
App State
Tulane
Tulsa
SMU
Georgia State

That's not terrible. Obviously not "good" but it's still the 6th best conference.
Logistically, Army and Navy can't be in the same conference, if that conference is one that has a championship game. Reason being that the Army-Navy is a STANDALONE national game that takes place the week after Championship Week. It is the lone college football game on that Saturday and is followed by the Heisman ceremony.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom