OT: - American, who replaces 3 teams to Big 12 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: American, who replaces 3 teams to Big 12

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The American is getting worse, good thing we're off that boat

Reaction Score
Some think if we were in through AAC we would be one if the teams going to the B12. Why? Our contract at Rentschler Field doesn't allow us yo play home games amywhrre else. Makes Boston and NYC useless.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Navy is not staying in that mess. When the Contract is up I say they leave. Plus could you imagine the AAC putting the screws into Navy is they want to leave earlier?

Reaction Score
Logistically, Army and Navy can't be in the same conference, if that conference is one that has a championship game. Reason being that the Army-Navy is a STANDALONE national game that takes place the week after Championship Week. It is the lone college football game on that Saturday and is followed by the Heisman ceremony.
That's only an issue if they both win their divisions, at which point they can decide how they want to handle it. The reason it won't work is that Army is dead set against joining a conference again, but if they did (and honestly, they should), you could make it work with Army and Navy in different divisions and just never have them play each other in conference play.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
The AAC will survive because ESPN will want them to survive as ESPN likely makes a very nice profit off the AAC..

There are actually a number of quality southeastern football programs that can be added.

AAC basketball is in the toilet and will stay there.
Serious question… how much do you think ESPN is really going to make without the 3 best football & basketball programs? The only “National” brand left (and it’s a mile long stretch to call them that) is Memphis. Once the penny experiment is over there, that program too loses its luster.

seems like for ESPN the aac is more about filling required air time slots with 9PM Tuesday night games on ESPNnews than actually “profiting” from the content.

Reaction Score
I respectfully believe that a number of you guys are way off base with regards to the future of the AAC. While it's never going to be a P5/P6/P Whatever conference, it's not dying. They actually have a number of solid options to fill the open spots, to include:

1) Charlotte -- obvious choice IMO due to media market and rising program
2) UAB -- the program redux seems to be on an upward trajectory. A footprint in the state with the most HS talent per capita can't be a bad thing for the league. Also a school with solid basketball history.
3) Rice -- brand-name Ivy-level academic school. Relationships with SMU, Tulane, Navy and Tulsa. Obvious fit and keeps Houston presence.
4) Georgia State -- Not much there as far as football tradition, but adding the Atlanta school makes sense. Too much potential to ignore and GSU has gone from CAA laughingstock to a lower-level bowl team fairly quickly.
5) Air Force as a football affiliate only -- less likely but worth a thought. They could play their other sports in Summit or Big Sky.
6) Marshall -- Excellent tradition, rabidly supportive fan base, great football. Their audition in Annapolis yesterday went very well.
7) Old Dominion -- has stunk at football since moving up from FBS but Norfolk/Va Beach market could be strategic, especially for recruiting. Also a great hoops program to add on to the league.
8) Buffalo -- likely the biggest stretch, but if the league wanted another eastern team to supplement Temple and Navy, Buffalo has been strong in both football and basketball lately.

By my count, AAC has 4 spots open to get back to 12, replacing UCONN, Houston, UCF and Cincinnati. My picks for expansion would be the following: Charlotte, UAB, Rice, Marshall
It's already dead.

Reaction Score
Serious question… how much do you think ESPN is really going to make without the 3 best football & basketball programs? The only “National” brand left (and it’s a mile long stretch to call them that) is Memphis. Once the penny experiment is over there, that program too loses its luster.

seems like for ESPN the aac is more about filling required air time slots with 9PM Tuesday night games on ESPNnews than actually “profiting” from the content.
This. If you go look up the viewership for the teams left they are putrid. I wonder if there is a clause in the contract for ESPN to renegotiate if teams leave?

Reaction Score
Tip O’Neil a former House Speaker once said “All Politics are Local”
Well adding to that sentiment all problems with your athletic programs are local.
A somewhat famous Israeli Physicist inscribed, in Hebrew no less , in my copy of his book pretty much the same advise other wisemen gave me.
“ if you want to find the source of your problems the first place to look is in the mirror”
The significant residual money from the AAC kept our programs alive for 5 years giving us a chance at relevance.
We won an important NC as a member of the AAC plus another tourney and NIT appearance in 5 years.
We hired the best available coach in Hurley as an AAC member , recruited a future lottery pick and in 2019-20 were an exciting BB team with the board looking forward to the league championship when Covid struck.
I get the preference for old rivals. However
I do know this , 8 years ago we and many other fans were miffed we were left behind now we’re not even mentioned. For the reasons that occurred looking in the mirror might be a good first step.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Answer: Anyone they can get. It's now a Sun Belt/C-USA/MAC level conference. Will have no shot at major bowl games nor multiple NCAA bids.

The uncomfortable question for the Yankee Conf Hallucinogenists is how would you feel if UMass accepted an invite? They aren't coming that far north ever again.

Reaction Score
This was a serious question ... and many of you just puked all over it. AND I understand ...

I appreciate the NY Crusader thinking.

First, Wichita State ain't Wichita State without Greg Marshall. We don't know what is going to be there in a few years.

Second, Buffalo is now deserving - they are solid in basketball and football - and they would be a nice anchor partner for Temple. But I wouldn't do it if I were that University. Why fly to play Tulsa and Tulane. Independent>? Why play Central Michigan or Akron ... when you can get a decent Independent schedule like UCONN.

Georgia State, Charlotte, Florida Atlantic ... are good for various reasons.

Memphis? yeah .. WTF is Penny gonna do with all the 5 stars if they have no Cincinnati, Houston on the sked. And Rice is a fit for Tulane, Tulsa, SMU.

Reaction Score
There is absolutely no justification in adding Wichita State into the Big East. Why would anyone think that's a good idea?
The same point as adding Dayton. It’s bringing in a very good, basketball-only school to even out the conference to two, regionally balanced, six-team divisions.

But based on your previous comment, there’s no point of responding and my justification is a bad idea, so ignore my reply.

Reaction Score
The best 12th team to add to the Big East is St. Louis. Join the west division, Catholic school, big media market, 12,000 seat packed arena, recently a top 25 program.
Best option suggested on this thread.

Plus, their fans don't have the same negative reputation as Wichita State. Physical brand of basketball that fits our conference quite well.

Reaction Score
Best option suggested on this thread.

Plus, their fans don't have the same negative reputation as Wichita State. Physical brand of basketball that fits our conference quite well.
Serious 2 part question for you, because I will respect your answer. Why do you feel that the BE needs to add a team? What type of change to conference scheduling, 22 games or less?

Reaction Score
The only non power conference team you add to the Big East is Gonzaga. Everyone else is filler and adds nothing from a revenue and competition standpoint.

It is time for Gonzaga to join. The expected departure of BYU from the WCC to the Big 12 helps in this regard. That conference just got weaker.

#DaggerTreyTy
#GonzagaToBigEast

Reaction Score
Memphis wont be there for long and the AAC problably wont exist in 5 years if not sooner.

Where are they going to go? Where are any of those teams going to go? The AAC isn't going anywhere. This is just going to result in hits to the Sun Belt.

Reaction Score
The only non power conference team you add to the Big East is Gonzaga. Everyone else is filler and adds nothing from a revenue and competition standpoint.

It is time for Gonzaga to join. The expected departure of BYU from the WCC to the Big 12 helps in this regard. That conference just got weaker.

#DaggerTreyTy
#GonzagaToBigEast

I hear the University of Moscow has a good team too. They're about just as far away as Gonzaga. Though you can probably get a direct flight to Moscow.

Reaction Score
Where are they going to go?

Mountain West possibly.
MW is > AAC in football after Cin/UCF/Hou depart.

If MW grabs SMU & Memphis, 5 of the top 6 BB teams are gone.

Reaction Score
Really!!

A team from Washington State in the Big East!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom