American Gods (Starz) | The Boneyard

American Gods (Starz)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The first episode was very good.

Lots of series-debut exposition necessary with a story with the number of moving parts this one will have and there were some choppy moments in the first 20 minutes. But I enjoyed it. Lots of potential, very quirky.

Might not be one for the family. A man gets eaten by a vagina - good luck explaining that one to the kiddies.

Reaction Score
Damn, forgot to set the DVR. Will have to tape a rerun on one of the plethora of Starz channels.

Reaction Score
Bryan Fuller is a pretty incredible showrunner/producer. Hannibal was amazing and I was sad to see it end. I just got rid of Starz so I'll have to find another way to watch this but I had been looking forward to it as well.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Lots of series-debut exposition necessary with a story with the number of moving parts this one will have and there were some choppy moments in the first 20 minutes. But I enjoyed it. Lots of potential, very quirky.

Might not be one for the family. A man gets eaten by a vagina - good luck explaining that one to the kiddies.

Read the book when it came out. I'm re-reading in anticipation of this. Looks like it should be pretty good. They don't always capture Neil Gaiman well on screen.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Have you read the book? If so, how is it vis a vis that?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Tried reading the book. I couldn't get through it.

I found it really good, but was a little underwhelmed at the ending. If they get the shot, maybe the producers can improve upon it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I found it really good, but was a little underwhelmed at the ending. If they get the shot, maybe the producers can improve upon it.

It's good, but he's been trending down for years as a writer. I'm not sure what it is. His early stuff, like Good Omens and in graphic novels like The Sandman, is brilliant. My wife is a huge fan and hated his newest novel.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
How did anyone see the first episode, since it launches on April 30?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
How did anyone see the first episode, since it launches on April 30?

I looked for it the other night and was like wtf? But it was probably a sneak premier.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Sorry - yes, I saw it early.

Neil Gaiman is on the faculty at Bard College in New York and he hosted a preview with Bryan Fuller last Saturday.

1) I never saw Hannibal and I wasn't really familiar with anything Bryan Fuller had done previously. Seems an interesting fellow; he also said that they have not given up on Hannibal and are actively working to find it a home. So you may see it again.

2) The first episode hews pretty closely to the book. Some things are out of order and some things are (too) compressed, but it's familiar. Gaiman and Fuller both said that the show will deviate at times and there will be new characters, but that Gaiman has control over all of it.

3) First season is just eight episodes and covers less than a third of the book. They obviously hope to keep going; if they run out of book, Gaiman has already been writing more. Basically, exactly the opposite of George RR Martin.

4) Gaiman did not write any of the episodes. Apparently, Amazon gave the BBC a fortune to produce a "Good Omens" mini-series and that's what he's been doing for the past year.

5) There is an ass ton of blood in episode one. If you remember the dopey Spartacus series on Starz, it's that level of blood. At times, it's flying everywhere. Fortunately, Gaiman says that 98% of all the blood in the season is in the first episode.

6) The casting is very good. And they're very proud of episode four.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Neil Gaiman is on the faculty at Bard College in New York and he hosted a preview with Bryan Fuller last Saturday.

1) I never saw Hannibal and I wasn't really familiar with anything Bryan Fuller had done previously. Seems an interesting fellow; he also said that they have not given up on Hannibal and are actively working to find it a home. So you may see it again.

2) The first episode hews pretty closely to the book. Some things are out of order and some things are (too) compressed, but it's familiar. Gaiman and Fuller both said that the show will deviate at times and there will be new characters, but that Gaiman has control over all of it.

3) First season is just eight episodes and covers less than a third of the book. They obviously hope to keep going; if they run out of book, Gaiman has already been writing more. Basically, exactly the opposite of George RR Martin.

4) Gaiman did not write any of the episodes. Apparently, Amazon gave the BBC a fortune to produce a "Good Omens" mini-series and that's what he's been doing for the past year.

5) There is an ass ton of blood in episode one. If you remember the dopey Spartacus series on Starz, it's that level of blood. At times, it's flying everywhere. Fortunately, Gaiman says that 98% of all the blood in the season is in the first episode.

Interesting stuff. Thanks.

I've never actually gone to a talk/premier like this before. Seems like something worthwhile to seek out.

I've liked Ricky Whittle for a while now, so was happy to seem him cast as Shadow.

And I liked Spartacus. Though, the show took a downturn upon the (literal) death of the lead actor--Andy Whitfield. He got cancer and went very quickly. Sad story.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They said they auditioned a couple of hundred people for Shadow.

Every time they whittled (boom) the list down, Whittle was always the the last guy before the cut line. When they tried to get down to 10, he made it as the 11th name.

He auditioned 16 times. During one of the later ones, Gaiman and Fuller said that he was getting better faster than the people above him on the list and that's when they knew he would eventually be the guy.

I had never heard of him prior, but he's pretty much perfect. There's some choppy/compressed editing that makes him look like he got the emotion of one scene pretty wrong early on, but that wasn't his fault. (You know it when you see it.)

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Great stuff. Thanks Fishy. You reminded me that I'm even more excited for Good Omens. Love that book.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
They said they auditioned a couple of hundred people for Shadow.

Every time they whittled (boom) the list down, Whittle was always the the last guy before the cut line. When they tried to get down to 10, he made it as the 11th name.

He auditioned 16 times. During one of the later ones, Gaiman and Fuller said that he was getting better faster than the people above him on the list and that's when they knew he would eventually be the guy.

I had never heard of him prior, but he's pretty much perfect. There's some choppy/compressed editing that makes him look like he got the emotion of one scene pretty wrong early on, but that wasn't his fault. (You know it when you see it.)

That's interesting. I didn't realize that you had to audition 15+ times to get the lead in a show. Quite often, it seems the director/producer have in mind a few guys they want and that is that. You often hear stories about actors who read lines and everyone in the room 'just knows'. Takes some balls (as much as acting can require balls) to audition so many times and come away with the role.

Whittle was on a really crappy sci fi show (that I continue to watch) for a couple years. Almost all the characters suck, except for his character, and one or two others.

Had no idea Good Omens was being made into a TV series. I like that it's a mini too.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I didn't read Good Omens. I gather he wrote it with another author who passed away. He promised the other author that he would see the book turned into a show.

He wrote a script and pitched it to the BBC.

The BBC said, "we like it, but we're skint broke and we can't afford to do this."

Then they went out to find funding and came back and said that Amazon had offered them more money for "Good Omens" than they had ever raised for anything else. (Amazon is also involved with "American Gods"; they're the overseas distributor.)

Gaiman is the show runner for it - it'll be on BBC next year and then it will move to Amazon Prime.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I didn't read Good Omens. I gather he wrote it with another author who passed away. He promised the other author that he would see the book turned into a show.

He wrote a script and pitched it to the BBC.

The BBC said, "we like it, but we're skint broke and we can't afford to do this."

Then they went out to find funding and came back and said that Amazon had offered them more money for "Good Omens" than they had ever raised for anything else. (Amazon is also involved with "American Gods"; they're the overseas distributor.)

Gaiman is the show runner for it - it'll be on BBC next year and then it will move to Amazon Prime.

Crazy you seem to know everything about this. I actually like a lot of what the BBC has produced in the past, and Amazon seems to be putting out some very smart, high end content of late. So probably a good marriage and my expectations are high. Good to see Amazon wants a spot at the table next to Netflix.

The budget for AG must be huge, because it's not like the BBC has been totally skint on shows in the past. Thinking Sherlock, Peaky Blinders, Dr Who, Orphan Black, heck, even something like Planet Earth etc. Good on em.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm really just regurgitating information from the evening at Bard.

I have no independent knowledge of any of this stuff.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm really just regurgitating information from the evening at Bard.

I have no independent knowledge of any of this stuff.

Well it's all news to me, so I appreciate it. . Again, I'm gonna have to attend some of these things. Sounds way more interesting than I would have thought, naive as that may be.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Bushnell is a good place to start - Jason Reitman and Rob Reiner are there together in a few weeks. Gaiman is there over the summer, etc.

Reaction Score

Might not be good for the family, man eats, I mean gets eaten by a vagina - had to read that a few times. This alone makes this worth giving it a chance.:eek:

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I'm reading the book in anticipation, and about half way through. It's enjoyable so far but waiting for the good stuff ( I assume there is good stuff) to go down.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Watched episode 1 last night. Good stuff. Well done. I'm still going through my re-read of the book, hoping to stay ahead of the episodes.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
So we watched the first episode tonight. When a show makes my wife say "WTF?" then it has to be out there. We were big fans of the first two seasons of Hannibal but fell off the wagon for season 3.

When I saw Ian McShane I couldn't help thinking he was channeling Al Pacino from The Devil's Advocate.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The vagina was busy this week. And a man with a raging hard-on soared through outer space!!

And a game of checkered was the focus of this episodes end with Shadow losing and facing the cow-kill sledge hammer at the hands of Peter Stormare.

must.keep.watching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom