American Athletic Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2019 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

American Athletic Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2019

Reaction Score
Yeah, you don’t really need to coach in the AAC to sniff this one out.

They are going to jam the ball into the line with two mediocre backs and a middling offensive line. The tight end and receivers aren’t even CAA quality. They might have the worst quarterbacks assembled in FBS.

The roster is a barren wasteland and they will hope to beat Wagner, UMass and catch someone sleeping to go 3-9. They are going to get dismantled by every team with a pulse.

I've been thinking along these lines but trying to convince myself it isn't as bad as you state. I'm concerned about the "jam the ball" type bad play calling, will see; if mediocre means 6th or 7th best in 12 team league I'll take that; same with OL except counting on top 1/3rd for no other reason than guys should be (4 of 5 starters) more experienced together, stronger and hard to block for last years team with no vertical passing; can't argue about WR/TE's all being young/inexperienced but counting on CAA quality as a not likely worse case; QB's now there is where some good fortune needs to occur being one or several of the guys are actually ok and several have at least shown something at competitive high school or lower college level and even I can pass better than Pindell.

Not sure what qualifies as having a pulse but of 11 FBS opponents Massey has 3 at #100 or higher, 4 at 79 to 99 and 3 in the 60's; only UCF is at 20. When your 2nd highest rated opponent is Indiana there has got to be some pre season koolaide drinking.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It’s a really tough job. They take kids who can actually get into school and make them go to class.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This program has gotten so ridiculous that halfway through camp someone finally noticed that Leon hadn’t thrown a ball yet... oh yeah he’s injured *shrug*.

So now youve got a D2 transfer coming off a FY injury and a kid that Edsall buried behind Washington.

Pindell is going to seem like Pat White when you’ve watched the 4th straight 3rd and 6 flutter incomplete to the ground.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Rod Carey’s base salary is approximately $800k more than our HC OC and DC combined
That's because of the horrendous coaching hires.

My point was that you made it sound like it's impossible to win at UConn. But if Temple has figured it out, so can UConn. We just need to recover from PP, BD and KO disasters.

Reaction Score
Someone might want to mention to that anonymous coach that HCRE never coached in the AAC.

It must have been Charlie Strong or Dana Holgerson making that statement.. Both coached in the Big East. Technically its the same league with many different teams.

Personally I think this league is every bit as competitive as the Big East was and it is certainly better than the 2010 Big East. The head coaching talent in this league is outstanding and everyone now is playing the spread option offenses which wasn't the case in 2010. The AAC also does not have Schiano coaching in it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rod Carey’s base salary is approximately $800k more than our HC OC and DC combined

Which I imagine is the result of UConn making significantly greater investments in MBB/WBB based due to historical success and a fanbase that expects that level of success going forward, something which Temple has not had in forever/ever.

I guess just the problem of being spread so thin when you have 3 revenue sports compared to 2. In a way it's a good problem to have (who doesn't want to have more revenue streams), but also unless you're getting P5 money someone is going to get squeezed on budget.

Reaction Score
Yeah, you don’t really need to coach in the AAC to sniff this one out.

They are going to jam the ball into the line with two mediocre backs and a middling offensive line. The tight end and receivers aren’t even CAA quality. They might have the worst quarterbacks assembled in FBS.

The roster is a barren wasteland and they will hope to beat Wagner, UMass and catch someone sleeping to go 3-9. They are going to get dismantled by every team with a pulse.

I was randomly checking local rosters today and look who will likely be the starting qb at Sacred Heart this year...our old friend Logan Marchi. He would start here. They also play Wagner so we’ll have some reference

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was randomly checking local rosters today and look who will likely be the starting qb at Sacred Heart this year...our old friend Logan Marchi. He would start here. They also play Wagner so we’ll have some reference

lol at his stats against Mars Hill.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Which I imagine is the result of UConn making significantly greater investments in MBB/WBB based due to historical success and a fanbase that expects that level of success going forward, something which Temple has not had in forever/ever.

I guess just the problem of being spread so thin when you have 3 revenue sports compared to 2. In a way it's a good problem to have (who doesn't want to have more revenue streams), but also unless you're getting P5 money someone is going to get squeezed on budget.
It’s not that I don’t understand the reasoning behind the decisions that are made I just wanted to point out why this is a more difficult job than Temple as of now. I still believe if the university ever committed to D1 high level FBS football it could be special here but that’s a risk that isn’t worth taking if you’re the AD given the mentality of the fan base

Reaction Score
That's because of the horrendous coaching hires.

My point was that you made it sound like it's impossible to win at UConn. But if Temple has figured it out, so can UConn. We just need to recover from PP, BD and KO disasters.
1st step, pay a competitive salary to the coaching staff. They have to figure that out. If Temple is paying their HC that much more than we are paying, that's a problem.

Reaction Score
We are paying Edsall nothing because we could, which allowed us to fire Diaco. That issue should be just about taken care of. Next time we hire a coach, I expect better pay. If Edsall wins, I expect him to get paid more. This was a creative way to get rid of Diaco.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The problem is that 3/4 of the roster was here when they went 1-11. FB programs don't turn around overnight.

Either watching 10 freshmen getting torched last year helped then play better this year or it didn't. We are going to score about 20/gm. Can we hold the lesser opponents under that, then the answer is yes.

That doesn't mean Whaler's assessment isn't making me sad. cause it is.

Reaction Score
This program has gotten so ridiculous that halfway through camp someone finally noticed that Leon hadn’t thrown a ball yet... oh yeah he’s injured *shrug*.

So now youve got a D2 transfer coming off a FY injury and a kid that Edsall buried behind Washington.

Pindell is going to seem like Pat White when you’ve watched the 4th straight 3rd and 6 flutter incomplete to the ground.
Our QB situation isn’t the greatest but at least we don’t have a running back/athlete playing quarterback. Both Beaudry and Krajewski will be able to pass better than Pindell and spread the field. Looking at things in retrospect I think Edsall buried Krajewski because he wanted to save Washington “from the streets.” RE mentioned that in several interviews and gave MW numerous chances to prove himself. Unfortunately, MW was released and transferred to Last Chance U.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Our QB situation isn’t the greatest but at least we don’t have a running back/athlete playing quarterback. Both Beaudry and Krajewski will be able to pass better than Pindell and spread the field. Looking at things in retrospect I think Edsall buried Krajewski because he wanted to save Washington “from the streets.” RE mentioned that in several interviews and gave MW numerous chances to prove himself. Unfortunately, MW was released and transferred to Last Chance U.

Yes Steven Krajewski was behind Washington on the 3 deep because Edsall was saving Washington from the streets.

Solid take. You fit in great here.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Wow. Seems like some of you had your cheerios peed on this morning. Mensah had over 1,000 yards last year. Thompson have proven himself. Rose was recruited as a TE by Wisconsin and others. Williams is going to be a threat at TE. The O-line will continue to improve as they have the last two years. To say Steven Krajewski was "buried" behind MW is a huge overstatement. He's a red shirt freshman for Pete's sake! He could have been behind for a number of reason. Maybe Randy was just making a point. No reason to not be optimistic about Beaudry either. Randy seems pleased with what he's seeing. I'm optimistic and I think there are good reasons for it.

Reaction Score
Wow. Seems like some of you had your cheerios peed on this morning. Mensah had over 1,000 yards last year. Thompson have proven himself. Rose was recruited as a TE by Wisconsin and others. Williams is going to be a threat at TE. The O-line will continue to improve as they have the last two years. To say Steven Krajewski was "buried" behind MW is a huge overstatement. He's a red shirt freshman for Pete's sake! He could have been behind for a number of reason. Maybe Randy was just making a point. No reason to not be optimistic about Beaudry either. Randy seems pleased with what he's seeing. I'm optimistic and I think there are good reasons for it.
Agreed. Those are some reasons Steven Krajewski was “buried” but one of them was not lack of talent as alluded by Whaler. The QB’s are still young and inexperienced. They will be fine and will develop just like the rest of the team. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Agreed. Those are some reasons Steven Krajewski was “buried” but one of them was not lack of talent as alluded by Whaler. The QB’s are still young and inexperienced. They will be fine and will develop just like the rest of the team. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Congrats to Big Red @temery

You’ve cultivated the best mix of stupidity and polite trolling found anywhere on the interwebz.

It’s beyond amazing that lab rats learn from getting shocked in experiments but actual human beings don’t.

UConn’s best tight end is at a school that hasn’t throw a pass to a tight end in like a decade. And he’d also probably be the best QB on the roster too.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

I don't know, Pindell was solid player who fought on every play but he wasn't a great passer. I'm hopeful that we can stretch the field more this year due a combination of factors and that makes up for the loss of a kid who create yardage out broken plays.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't know, Pindell was solid player who fought on every play but he wasn't a great passer. I'm hopeful that we can stretch the field more this year due a combination of factors and that makes up for the loss of a kid who create yardage out broken plays.

Pindell convinced people the offensive line is promising.

I know people are just being hopeful about the quarterbacks and hoping Edsall is playing some dopey game... that first game is gonna be something around here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom