America 12? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

America 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Q: "So, what do you call the conference now that WVU, Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers, Louisville, and the C7 left; Notre Dame defected; half the teams you invited to join backed out, you lost the MSG BB tourney; and had sell the conference name after turning down ESPN's initial TV deal and winding up with something infinitely worse?"

A: "The Aristocrats!"

Reaction Score
69% of college sports fans do not approve of this conference name. Is that a surprise?

The conference name may be lame as duckk but I think they are probably choosing this name as a marketing technique to other conferences, saying, "We are the next best 12 schools in 'Murica! duckk yeah!"

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
How about the "American is #1" conference - would love to see the prognosticators get tied up trying to bash us, without being un-American.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to stay positive about this new conference, but this is a horrible, horrible, horrible.....horrible....name. Conferences should not take on the name of the nation (i.e., Conference USA). Also, conferences should no longer take on names with the number of teams in them, especially one that is very likely to get picked over again. Uggh. Isn't there anyone in that head office that has any friggin' foresight???

(No, we aren't C-USA 2.0....we're America-12! Well holy $#it, partner, I'm convinced now...) :confused:
like american league or national league.
or the American football conference and national football conference.

is it possible the issue is its not the big east?

Reaction Score
They surely wanted an A name, since it puts it at the top in the list of conference standings.

As for the number issue ... Yeah that really limits conferences ability to expand.
Remind me again how many teams are in the big 12? Big 10? Atlantic 10?
I like your thinking. Did you ever notice how all my Greek buddies name their diners or pizzerias "Acropolis", "Athenian", "Agora", "Aphrodite", "Apollo", etc.? It isn't only to honor our heritage, it's to get listed near the top of the yellow page listings!

Reaction Score
I think in their case, choosing "America" for the name is a good idea, seeing as they've proven that they'll invite just about any team from anywhere in the country. (Boise, SDSU, etc.)

I guess this could apply to anywhere in North & South America too.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
I have an issue with the 12 part of the name. Why commit to 12? What happens if the league wants to go to 16? Anyway, expecting those brainiacs in Providence to do anything right is probably asking a lot.

Hell if we go to 16 then we better be out of here by then... there aren't four other choices out there I would even consider outside of Umass who needs to up the ante with their sports programs. I would rather be at 9 (with East Carolina football only)

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Hell if we go to 16 then we better be out of here by then... there aren't four other choices out there I would even consider outside of Umass who needs to up the ante with their sports programs. I would rather be at 9 (with East Carolina football only)

UMass
Charlotte
UT San Antonio
Old Dominion

Its either that or raid the SUN Belt

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Like Da Badass Conference (where my Stern fans at?).
Stern's still alive? I watched his WWOR show back in the days and listened for years. I used to talk with friends and coworkers about the show daily. He may have made a good chunk of change off the SIRI deal, but man his popularity plummeted. He is a forgotten man.

Reaction Score
Burger King College Conference Also sponsored by PetSmart

Someone else said it on this board - they were right. We should pimp ourselves out to any corporation that will pay to have their logos on our jerseys. We should be the NASCAR of college conferences and take every corporate dollar the Big 5 are too prestigious to take. We should make fun of ourselves for cash. Pimp to the Big 6 or bust.

Reaction Score
How bout we go trendy and call it the Kate Upton Love 12 Conference

kate upton loves 12.JPG

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
UMass
Charlotte
UT San Antonio
Old Dominion

Its either that or raid the SUN Belt
Supposedly Tulsa will be darkening our doorway. The AAAmerica 12, We win the Yellow Pages listings.

Reaction Score
I like your thinking. Did you ever notice how all my Greek buddies name their diners or pizzerias "Acropolis", "Athenian", "Agora", "Aphrodite", "Apollo", etc.? It isn't only to honor our heritage, it's to get listed near the top of the yellow page listings!

I do like the idea of comparing the conference to Greece. Neither has any money and both have been part of a union that wants nothing to do with them.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Hey look on the bright side... we're 2 better than the A-10!

Nigel Tufnel endorses this name.

One good thing you can say about it is that it doesn't rhyme with least anymore.

Nice Spinal Tap reference...WAIT! THATS IT! The Spinal Tap Conference. Membership is so much fun its like a painful surgical procedure...

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Nice Spinal Tap reference...WAIT! THATS IT! The Spinal Tap Conference. Membership is so much fun its like a painful surgical procedure...

Yup. Can't wait to see the gals in the Spirit Squad dancing to "Big Bottoms. I love 'em. My baby's got 'em"
Then display pictures of Kate Upton on bizarro -12 scoreboard

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Stern's still alive? I watched his WWOR show back in the days and listened for years. I used to talk with friends and coworkers about the show daily. He may have made a good chunk of change off the SIRI deal, but man his popularity plummeted. He is a forgotten man.

When Stern signed up Sirius went from something like 400,000 subscribers to 6,000,000 pretty quickly and they now have over 22,000,000. With most new cars coming with Sirius/XM built in that increase will likely continue. If one in 10 subscribers listen that's 2.2 million per day. Not too shabby.

ps. the show is awesome on Sirius. I like it much better than when it was on terrestrial radio.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
like american league or national league.
or the American football conference and national football conference.

is it possible the issue is its not the big east?

No. However, It's certainly possible that your analogies are ridiculous.

American League and National League are the two conference splits for baseball, whereby EVERY team is in either the American League or the National League. There is nobody that isn't in one or the other playing in the MLB. Also, the same holds true in the NFL, where EVERY team is either in the American or the National.

However, in the case of college football, there are very few conferences that have the audacity to take on the national name brand, and all of them are sub-par leagues. So let me return a question back to you: Why would we knowingly associate ourselves with other brands that are known for being sub-par?

The question is rhetorical, since I and most everyone else knows the answer...

Reaction Score
No. However, It's certainly possible that your analogies are ridiculous.

American League and National League are the two conference splits for baseball, whereby EVERY team is in either the American League or the National League. There is nobody that isn't in one or the other playing in the MLB. Also, the same holds true in the NFL, where EVERY team is either in the American or the National.

However, in the case of college football, there are very few conferences that have the audacity to take on the national name brand, and all of them are sub-par leagues. So let me return a question back to you: Why would we knowingly associate ourselves with other brands that are known for being sub-par?

The question is rhetorical, since I and most everyone else knows the answer...
What if we do the American Conference but have a legends and leaders division. would that work for you?
Kind of a crappy name but really cool divisions.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
When Stern signed up Sirius went from something like 400,000 subscribers to 6,000,000 pretty quickly and they now have over 22,000,000. With most new cars coming with Sirius/XM built in that increase will likely continue. If one in 10 subscribers listen that's 2.2 million per day. Not too shabby.

ps. the show is awesome on Sirius. I like it much better than when it was on terrestrial radio.
There are over 20m because they merged with about 10 m xm subscribers who didn't care enough about Stern to choose siri over xm. He left a daily audience of 12m listeners behind on terr radio. The show may be better, but he's down to a hardcore viewing audience only. Satellite radio is under serious pressure from pandora/internet radio.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
There are over 20m because they merged with about 10 m xm subscribers who didn't care enough about Stern to choose siri over xm. He left a daily audience of 12m listeners behind on terr radio. The show may be better, but he's down to a hardcore viewing audience only. Satellite radio is under serious pressure from pandora/internet radio.
And he could go back to terrestrial tomorrow and have them again. But why? He's making more money and the show is better. Perfect set up.

Reaction Score
If you read the article on ESPN it basically says they've registered every variation of Americs 12 possible.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Unfortunately, they didn't get the most important one, America12.com, which was previously registered.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

This makes sense. Registering a domain takes 10 minutes and costs five bucks. They did not register any trademark as I understand it. That's a different scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom