AMC's "Halt and Catch Fire" | The Boneyard

AMC's "Halt and Catch Fire"

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Anyone else catch the first episode? I enjoyed it.

Reaction Score
Watched it also. Entertaining. Brought back some memories.In '79 a relative was working for a Texas Instruments spin off in greater Dallas. I thought that the Metroplex would end up being the silicon valley. Now, all of those computer companies mentioned in the program are either defunct or diminished. Commodore, Tandy, etc.

Reaction Score
Very intriguing start……..I got reeled in pretty quick real interested to see where it goes the next couple of weeks.

Reaction Score
Episode #2 was good but I wanted a bit more impact on the meeting/IBM group………still it has me ready for more!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Got em recording on the DVR but haven't watched... Yet!

Reaction Score
Started strong and has been maintaining, only 2 episodes left. Hope it gets renewed, I'm a fan.

Reaction Score
Didn't see that coming from the old boss at TI. The Mac at the end was another surprise, one more left, where do they go from here? Silicon Valley?

Reaction Score
We know now that laptops were the way to go. I'm speculating that blondie is so fed up with Joe's shenanigans that she follows her geek buddies to Silicon Valley, Joe max's out his gold card or cuts a deal to form a new start up in close proximity to her, & the married techies are figuring their next move. The preview of the final episode has them planning as the beard doesn't trust Joe's motives.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I just watched the first episode. The pilot is awesome.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
2 Episodes in, this is one of my favorite shows on TV. Certainly Top 10, challenging for Top 5.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Through 4 episodes, my biggest complaint is that McMillan is too crazy. This show needs to be careful, because the crazy stuff is only shocking if he isn't doing it every episode.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have no idea what happened the last episode, other than it looks like the writers thought the show would not be renewed.

You don't typically see a show like this start sending its main characters on separate adventures unless A) it is Game of Thrones, or B) the writers are running out of ideas. If the writers can't come up with more than 10 episodes to write about a fictional technology company in the 1980's, they shouldn't be writing for television. The writers should have been able to bang out 3 seasons without breaking a sweat.

The show started at a 9 or 9.5, had a rocky middle, then looked like it would close strong before face planting. 7.5 overall.

Reaction Score
Rough start from my point of view on the first 2 season II episodes. Not sure where they are going but they better get there pretty fast because I'm only watching because...ok I'm not sure why?:confused:

Reaction Score
This must be some alternate reality. Where else would you fine a group of hacker internet nerds who know all of the back door tricks, put up exotic firewalls to protect their product, yet get hacked by a better hacker acting in his spare time who feigns disinterest in joining their venture as he's happy with his day job? Yeah, that happens all the time. And, Bill Gates is a pauper.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
Rough start from my point of view on the first 2 season II episodes. Not sure where they are going but they better get there pretty fast because I'm only watching because...ok I'm not sure why?:confused:
Yeah I am giving it about 1 more episode, 2 tops. It better improve quickly.

Reaction Score
Okay, so even in THIS timeline (circa 1980s) I find it difficult to believe that a huge corporation only runs its IBM type behemoths on a 9 to 5 time clock. Even in that era megacorps. wanted every edge they could get to stay ahead of their competition.

Reaction Score
Just finished the first season. I think that in real life somebody would ended up fragging Joe. The dude is just the epitome of the good idea fairy. I can't stand the crap he pulls. I like it enough to watch the second season.

Reaction Score
Two episodes in to season two. And I am addicted. I forget which episode it was, but Gordon is unpacking all of that new boxed up hardware, Commodores, Ataris etc. It reminded me of when I was a kid and I walked into RadioShack, Computerland or even Toys R Us and saw all of stacked up neatly and being PO'd that my mom wanted the PC instead of the Atari.

The computer industry in the '80s and the '80s in general is really compelling setting. Sticking it in the somewhat arcane Silicon Prarie makes it even more so because we've seen and heard enough about Silicon Valley over the years. For me, this show is like Mad Men, only there are more characters that I actually want to root for despite the fact that they are all flawed in some way.

Cameron-Genius but undisciplined. An artist with a vision but lacks the ability to implement it. But she is the embodiment of the frustrated future that is approaching.

Gordon- Wozniak? Genius, but lacks the sales and communication skills. Addicted to alcohol and now drugs. Sometimes seems pathetic, but grows a spine when absolutely required.

Joe-Is he supposed to be the Steve Jobs? a total copycat with no technical ability. By the end of the first season, he realizes that even the programmers can see through his BS. Sees visions of others, picks the winners. Can be good at managing the big picture but too volatile to be considered a reliable steady hand.

Bosworth-No technical ability, but the kind of leader that earned the respect of his people. Took one for the team in going to jail. Good at management and leadership, but he is a total mess. He won't be able to lead again until he can actually start to act like the boss.

Donna-Maybe the most well rounded and stable character and the unsung heroine. But she is still limited by the sexism and motherly expectations of the time. She just wants to make stuff and not deal with the admin crap.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Really hitting its stride. I still have a little catching up to do, but this show has really matured.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Almost done with Season 3. The first season had some issues, but Seasons 2 and 3 were excellent. The Joe McMillan character is too overboard, and Cameron flirts with being too flighty, but overall just a really good show. Blows away watching reruns or anything on network TV.

I must have missed something, because I am not clear why any of the characters still speak with Joe after all his shenanigans. I am too lazy to look it up, so I will just assume there was some kind of reconciliation.

Reaction Score
Missed this when it started, but picked it up after we binged Mad Men in the spring / summer. Saw it referenced as a "period" drama to help you get that Mad Men fix.

Wow. I liked it from the beginning, but given the subject matter, never expected it to turn out as solid as it was. Actually going to miss this show more than Madmen. The real climax of the final season was unbelievably well done.

Last edited:

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Missed this when it started, but picked it up after we binged Mad Men in the spring / summer. Saw it referenced as a "period" drama to help you get that Mad Men fix.

Wow. I liked it from the beginning, but given the subject matter, never expected it to turn out as solid as it was. Actually going to miss this show more than Madmen. The real climax of the final season was unbelievably well done.

The final season was amazing.

The episode with Gordon's death and the way the showed it was incredible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom