Amazing Aubrey! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Amazing Aubrey!

Reaction Score
Aubrey in addition to the back surgery, was prepping to be more of a perimeter player this year with our lack of backcourt depth. It appeared we needed a 5th guard/wing type we could count on, and Aubrey answered that call in the first couple of games, and then with Ice missing the season and Dorka out she did the same thing when we needed her to be a big again.

She has been a great answer to our needs on the perimeter and upfront. not many players can do that.

Reaction Score
As someone who was hard on Aubrey in her first 2 years on the team. What she is doing is changing from an athlete that plays basketball to a basketball player with incredible athletic abilitie! Sitting has helped her see what she needed to work on and gave her the confidence she was lacking. She has impressed me with that growth and if she plays like this all year. Uconn will be hard to beat. No other team has a player like her.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'm reviving this thread because I feel a need to make a further comment about Aubrey after watching the games in Portland in person.

Do you remember a time during Aubrey's freshman year when The Boneyard was marvelling at her athleticism, but was also observing how she seemed perpetually confused on both offense and defense. Basically, she didn't know where she was supposed to be on the floor, or (when she had the ball) where her next pass should go. She also showed a major reluctance to take jump shots from more than a few feet away from the basket.

Well, as you've probably noticed from watching the recent games, those problems are HISTORY! Aubrey is now a seamless part of the offense, making cuts to the basket and setting screens for others. She is not out of position on defense. And she is quite ready to take midrange jump shots when she is left open, and she is hitting them. There is very little to criticize about her play this year.

So, as other threads have observed, when Dorka returns to health, and assuming that Nika / Azzi / Aaliyah remain in the starting lineup, UConn will have four players for the two remaining starting spots: Dorka, Lou, Caroline, and Aubrey. I think Dorka must start -- otherwise the rebounding and post defense is too much of a load on Aaliyah. That leaves Lou/Caroline/Aubrey for the wing position, and I think that they will and should get roughly equal minutes, with an allowance for who has the hot hand on a particular night. Lou and Caroline still contribute more than Aubrey offensively, but neither can match Aubrey on defense.

Against a team that relies mostly on quick guards, Aubrey may get more time than the other two. If UConn is behind and needs to stage a comeback (which has happened a lot recently), then Lou and Caroline will get more time.

But since all seven of these players are not only talented but are playing within the team's offensive and defensive frameworks, this really is a GREAT problem for Geno to have.

Reaction Score
Aubrey doesn’t disappoint. I’m so happy for this young lady.

Reaction Score
Aubrey's skills are perfect for the ND game. Irish have several talented, but slow, players. Expect many fast breaks where its 5 UConn versus 2-3 ND, leading to Aubrey's layups.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom