Amazing Aubrey! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Amazing Aubrey!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I really think she is going to one of those "X" factors for the Huskies going forward. The last time I saw her play was 2 years ago, and at that time she seemed tentative and a bit overwhelmed - so to contrast that to her play now is just a huge delight..! :)
She was. I saw the same thing. That was 18 year old Aubrey that had a lot of veterans on the team, had she did not know the system/plays yet. She was very reluctant to shoot, often not even looking at the basket when the ball came her way, but rather passing it off to an upper-classman.

Fast forward to today................now we have 21-22 year old Aubrey that had matured and is now a seasoned veteran and a leader on the team. A player that's been around the block several times. A player that knows what's coming and what to expect. A player that has wayyy more confidence now than 2 years ago. An Aubrey that wants to play and makeup for lost time. She's a red-shirt junior. We don't know yet if she intends on returning next year. Including her COVID year, she has two left after this year. To my knowledge she has not given or announced any indication of her plans beyond this year. I doubt she make a decision before the end of the season.

Here's the draft rules for the WNBA -
WNBA prospects must notify the league office no later than 10 days before the draft, and must renounce any remaining college eligibility to enter the draft. However, because postseason national tournaments (most notably the NCAA Division I tournament) are still ongoing during the 10 days prior to the draft, certain players who would otherwise be eligible to declare cannot do so before the standard deadline. A prospect whose team is still playing during the 10-day window must make her declaration within the 24 hours following her team's final game of the season, but no less than 3 hours before the scheduled start of the draft.

Reaction Score
After such an injury we didn't know what to expect but Aubrey has been the surprise of the year for me. She is clearly a very important contributor to the team. I love her movement and her defense. That quickness is huge and she gets out on the break. She adds so much to this team.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
In my numerous discussions this summer with Tonyc regarding this season I often mentioned that Aubrey's return was going to be big for UConn. I said that people had forgotten how good she was and that she was going to help UConn this season especially with Paige being out for the season.

With the loss of Olivia, Evina and Christyn Williams, and with Paige Bueckers going down

I figured that:
Azzi Fudd's production (29.0 / game) would replace Paige Bueckers' production (14.6 / game);

Lou Senechal
's production (14.5 / game) would replace Christyn's production (14.2 / game);

Aubrey
's production (13,5) / game) would replace Evina's production (9.0 / game);

Dorka's increase
in production (from 7.3 to 10.0 - 2.7 / game),
Edwards increase in production (from 7.9 to 12.5 - 4.6 / game)
And Patterson's production of 2.5 / game would replace Olivia's production (9.2 / game)

So far and I know that it is early but we do have a top 5 game under our belts, from a points point of view Azzi, Lou, Aubrey and Patterson plus the increase in production from Dorka and Edwards production we have combined for 66.8 / game

While Paige, Olivia, Evina and Christyn combined for 47 points / game

This places this years top producers at a +19.8 / game which gives us a cushion to adjust as the season goes on and bodies wear down, and competition gets tougher.

The stats above also reflect that UConn has averaged over its first two games 90.5 points per game whereas last year's version averaged 73.8 points per game. This of course will not hold as the season progresses I expect the average points per game to be higher than last year and only somewhat lower than it is right now. I think with the fire power that we have we will average around 86 points per game which is 14 points better than we were last year. I think this puts us into the final four and a serious contender for the National Championship. South Carolina and Stanford pose match-up problems for us and their potent offenses will test our defense...but, we are definitely in the conversation.

Azzi Fudd - 12.1 (2022) - 21.5 (2023)
Caroline Ducharme
- 9.8 (2022) - 11.0 (2023)
Lou Lopez-Senechal
- 0.0 (2022) - 11.5 (2023)
Aaliyah Edwards
- 7.9 (2022) - 11.0 (2023)
Aubrey Griffin
- 0.0 (2022) - 10.0 (2023)
Dorka Juhasz
- 7.3 (2022) - (9.0) 2023
Nika Muhl
- 3.8 (2022) - 5.5 (2023)
Ayanna Patterson
- 0.0 (2022) - 3 (2023)
Amari DeBerry
- 1.6 (2002) - 2.2 (2023)
Ines Bettencourt
- 0.0 (2022) - 1.3 (2023)

Total 86 points / game

Now just imagine if we had Paige Bueckers and Ice Brady we would be the first Husky team to average over 100 points per game. And then next year we bring in KK Arnold, Ashlynn Shade, Jana El Alfy and Qadence Samuels and we only lose Lou Lopez-Senechal and Dorka Juhrasz. Next year will be UConn's best, deepest and most potent offensive team ever. They will have all the pieces and no one and I mean no one barring an act of God will prevent UConn from winning the national championship.

Reaction Score
In my numerous discussions this summer with Tonyc regarding this season I often mentioned that Aubrey's return was going to be big for UConn. I said that people had forgotten how good she was and that she was going to help UConn this season especially with Paige being out for the season.

With the loss of Olivia, Evina and Christyn Williams, and with Paige Bueckers going down

I figured that:
Azzi Fudd's production (29.0 / game) would replace Paige Bueckers' production (14.6 / game);

Lou Senechal

Aubrey

Dorka's increase
Edwards increase
in production (from 7.9 to 12.5 - 4.6 / game)
And Patterson's production of 2.5 / game would replace Olivia's production (9.2 / game)

So far and I know that it is early but we do have a top 5 game under our belts, from a points point of view Azzi, Lou, Aubrey and Patterson plus the increase in production from Dorka and Edwards production we have combined for 66.8 / game

This places this years top producers at a +19.8 / game which gives us a cushion to adjust as the season goes on and bodies wear down, and competition gets tougher.

The stats above also reflect that UConn has averaged over its first two games 90.5 points per game whereas last year's version averaged 73.8 points per game. This of course will not hold as the season progresses I expect the average points per game to be higher than last year and only somewhat lower than it is right now. I think with the fire power that we have we will average around 86 points per game which is 14 points better than we were last year. I think this puts us into the final four and a serious contender for the National Championship. South Carolina and Stanford pose match-up problems for us and their potent offenses will test our defense...but, we are definitely in the conversation.

Caroline Ducharme
Lou Lopez-Senechal
Aaliyah Edwards
Aubrey Griffin
Dorka Juhasz
Nika Muhl
Ayanna Patterson
- 0.0 (2022) - 3 (2023)
Amari DeBerry
Ines Bettencourt

Total 86 points / game

Now just imagine if we had Paige Bueckers and Ice Brady we would be the first Husky team to average over 100 points per game. And then next year we bring in KK Arnold, Ashlynn Shade, Jana El Alfy and Qadence Samuels and we only lose Lou Lopez-Senechal and Dorka Juhrasz. Next year will be UConn's best, deepest and most potent offensive team ever. They will have all the pieces and no one and I mean no one barring an act of God will prevent UConn from winning the national championship.
Aubrey Griffin will be an enormously valuable player this year. She is fast and athletic and a great defender. She will score some, but doesn’t need to. I watched the UNC men the other night, and reminded myself that I thought UNC made an error a few years back recruiting Leaky Black, a 6”8 lockdown defender who guarded Aubrey’s talented brother from Duke last year. Black was raw early on, but is really really good now - I couldn’t have been more wrong. He is great, just like Aubrey. Watch Black play, and comparing him to Aubrey Griffin is a real positive thing. Having a fast and athletic defender and rebounder is invaluable in the last 5 minutes of any close game. One of the most underrated skills too is the ability to run the floor (something Edwards does so well too). Of course, having Fudd on your team who is unguardable when hitting shots makes Aubrey the role player (relatively speaking) even better. By the way, Fudd starts a bit slow because right she is not used to taking over an entire game. That won’t last long, as her mother (Katie Smrcka Duffy) grew to be absolutely dominant at Georgetown (where I attended grad school). She is far more talented than Mom - who would readily concede this point. There will be games this year where Fudd will put games away early. Just too much skill for it not to happen.

Reaction Score
Aubrey as others have said has turned into our X factor. She adds speed, defensive intensity and now is developing into an outside threat which will help her slash game. We need and I am really talking about how to beat SC is scorers. They are such a good defensive team and they probably know our motion offensive as well as we do. We need players that can beat their defenders and make other defenders react to them.
I was hoping Ice could draw Boston out of the box by knocking down three's and open up the middle.
The other way we got a big lead on them is on the break but in order to do that we need to rebound. Aubrey made a big difference when we beat them 2 years ago.
Caroline scored around the hoop on them because she gets her shot off so quick. Lou can score on anyone with her arsenal of shots. I like our chances now with Aubrey back.

Reaction Score
I like Aubrey more at the 3 but we need some support at the 4 with Ayanna being our main sub with the bigs. Ideally she could play both slots depending on the need. We will probably have more injuries which will make her role even more important. This team is going to have to play pressure defense and get out on the break. Aubrey can really contribute to those needs.

Carnac

Reaction Score

I figured that:

Lou Senechal

Aubrey

Dorka's increase
Edwards increase

Caroline Ducharme
Lou Lopez-Senechal
Aaliyah Edwards
Aubrey Griffin
Dorka Juhasz
Nika Muhl
Ayanna Patterson
- 0.0 (2022) - 3 (2023)
Amari DeBerry
Ines Bettencourt

Total 86 points / game

Geno WILL have the horses next year to run a serious race for the championship. Whether he wins or not remains to be seen. He will be deep and talented at every position.

Carnac

Reaction Score

I figured that:

Lou Senechal

Aubrey

Dorka's increase
Edwards increase

Caroline Ducharme
Lou Lopez-Senechal
Aaliyah Edwards
Aubrey Griffin
Dorka Juhasz
Nika Muhl
Ayanna Patterson
- 0.0 (2022) - 3 (2023)
Amari DeBerry
Ines Bettencourt

Total 86 points / game

Appreciate the time and effort you spent in putting this together. You did some research on this. Thank you. Every person that read this should give you a like.......a simple click of the mouse.

Reaction Score
Geno WILL have the horses next year to run a serious race for the championship. Whether he wins or not remains to be seen. He will be deep and talented at every position.
He wold have had them this year, but for the wave of season ending injuries. So you can't count on next year either. Or ever.

Carnac

Reaction Score
He wold have had them this year, but for the wave of season ending injuries. So you can't count on next year either. Or ever.
Longtime, I respectfully disagree. There are a lot of things I count on that come to fruition every day. I count on the sun coming up on the eastern horizon every morning. I count on my car starting every time I get in and turn the key. I count on Gas and food prices going up every week (been to the store lately?) I'm being factious here, but there are things we can and do count on everyday that happen.
I ALWAYS counted on getting my paycheck on payday when I was working.....and I did, every time. The context you're referring to is a bit different. I understand that, but where do you draw the line?

If that was the case, why make plans at all? THIS year we know Paige and Ice are not going to be available. They will next year, so you have to go into the season assuming they will be healthy and available ALL year. We also have 4 dynamic freshmen coming in that will come in and learn the system and become productive at some point during the season. Those who fail to plan.......plan to fail. This is Geno's 38th year on the bench. He knows what he's doing and what he needs to do to achieve his desired goal.

NO ONE can predict injuries, nor should they. It's like playing the stock market...............sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you. Scared money should NEVER bet. If you're afraid of losing money in the stock market, keep it in the bank. Sometimes life gives you lemons, but most of the time it doesn't, and things happen as you plan for them to. If it's not your year, it's not your year!! When it is your year, everything will fall into place, the stars will be in alignment, none of your star players will go down, and the basketball Gods will bless your program with a wink and a nod. ;)

If you're a coach, you must assume ALL of your players will be healthy and available all year. Chicken Little would not have been a good coach. Too pessimistic. Your plan, any plan includes every player on your roster, but you also have a plan B, and in some cases, and plan C. UConn has had seasons where they did not have any injuries to any player that was season ending or that kept one out for a significant amount of time.

If I'm Geno, I'm planning on having ALL of my players available and ready to play the entire season next year. If 1-2 go down, then you make adjustments and keep going. You can't coach scared. Pedal to the metal and let the chips fall where they may!! The ultimate goal EVERY YEAR for this program is the win the national championship. Not to come in as the runner-up or conference champion, or to finish over .500 in the win column. I like the Jim Fassel style of coaching.................."This is a poker game, I'm shoving ALL of my chips to the middle of the table." I like that!!!

We're going to win the national championship either this year or next, because we'll have the players (talent) and experience to do so. f we fall short, so be it. But that's our focus and our goal!! I'm counting on ALL 14 to be healthy and ready to play the entire season. More players will have to go down this year before I change my outlook on this team and it's potential. That's my take. I'm all in!!! :D

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Have all of you noticed that through the first three games (including the exhibition against Kutztown), Aubrey has been used exclusively on the perimeter? I've watched pretty closely, and I haven't noticed a single play on which she could be said to play a "4" or "5" position at either end of the floor.

Her role is more like the WNBA Gabby Williams, not the UConn flavor of Gabby (which, in any case, was done out of necessity because Geno had a shortage of big bodies on those teams). Yes, she gets rebounds (probably more than the average guard) because of her hops and her hustle, but good guards can do that.

On defense, she is always covering the opposing team's guards, not their bigs. And she is doing that very well.

I expect her present role to continue throughout the season. That will mean that she is not going to be part of the front court rotation, even though that is thin right now (just Dorka / Aaliyah / Ayanna, given Ice's injury and Amari's lack of readiness). As I've said on other threads, I expect Caroline to be the fourth "big" which she gets back to full strength. She is better suited to that role than Aubrey is.

Reaction Score
As I've said on other threads, I expect Caroline to be the fourth "big" which she gets back to full strength. She is better suited to that role than Aubrey is.
Are you kidding?

Reaction Score
Longtime, I respectfully disagree. There are a lot of things I count on that come to fruition every day. I count on the sun coming up on the eastern horizon every morning. I count on my car starting every time I get in and turn the key. I count on Gas and food prices going up every week (been to the store lately?) I'm being factious here, but there are things we can and do count on everyday that happen.
I ALWAYS counted on getting my paycheck on payday when I was working.....and I did, every time. The context you're referring to is a bit different. I understand that, but where do you draw the line?

If that was the case, why make plans at all? THIS year we know Paige and Ice are not going to be available. They will next year, so you have to go into the season assuming they will be healthy and available ALL year. We also have 4 dynamic freshmen coming in that will come in and learn the system and become productive at some point during the season. Those who fail to plan.......plan to fail. This is Geno's 38th year on the bench. He knows what he's doing and what he needs to do to achieve his desired goal.

NO ONE can predict injuries, nor should they. It's like playing the stock market...............sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you. Scared money should NEVER bet. If you're afraid of losing money in the stock market, keep it in the bank. Sometimes life gives you lemons, but most of the time it doesn't, and things happen as you plan for them to. If it's not your year, it's not your year!! When it is your year, everything will fall into place, the stars will be in alignment, none of your star players will go down, and the basketball Gods will bless your program with a wink and a nod. ;)

If you're a coach, you must assume ALL of your players will be healthy and available all year. Chicken Little would not have been a good coach. Too pessimistic. Your plan, any plan includes every player on your roster, but you also have a plan B, and in some cases, and plan C. UConn has had seasons where they did not have any injuries to any player that was season ending or that kept one out for a significant amount of time.

If I'm Geno, I'm planning on having ALL of my players available and ready to play the entire season next year. If 1-2 go down, then you make adjustments and keep going. You can't coach scared. Pedal to the metal and let the chips fall where they may!! The ultimate goal EVERY YEAR for this program is the win the national championship. Not to come in as the runner-up or conference champion, or to finish over .500 in the win column. I like the Jim Fassel style of coaching.................."This is a poker game, I'm shoving ALL of my chips to the middle of the table." I like that!!!

We're going to win the national championship either this year or next, because we'll have the players (talent) and experience to do so. f we fall short, so be it. But that's our focus and our goal!! I'm counting on ALL 14 to be healthy and ready to play the entire season. More players will have to go down this year before I change my outlook on this team and it's potential. That's my take. I'm all in!!! :D

You are right. That is the only way to coach. But that doesn't prevent fate from entering the equation. In the meantime, Sunday will be another amazing challenge.

Reaction Score

I figured that:

Lou Senechal

Aubrey

Dorka's increase
Edwards increase

Caroline Ducharme
Lou Lopez-Senechal
Aaliyah Edwards
Aubrey Griffin
Dorka Juhasz
Nika Muhl
Ayanna Patterson
- 0.0 (2022) - 3 (2023)
Amari DeBerry
Ines Bettencourt

Total 86 points / game

Largely because Boston will be a pro then.

Reaction Score
No! Not largely! Sure, it will be easier but even if Boston were still there, next years team would, I believe, be favored to win that game.

Reaction Score

I figured that:

Lou Senechal

Aubrey

Dorka's increase
Edwards increase

Caroline Ducharme
Lou Lopez-Senechal
Aaliyah Edwards
Aubrey Griffin
Dorka Juhasz
Nika Muhl
Ayanna Patterson
- 0.0 (2022) - 3 (2023)
Amari DeBerry
Ines Bettencourt

Total 86 points / game

+1

There's another stat that never gets discussed and that's pts in the 4th period & OT. Some 20pt/gm players are fully extended getting their 20. Bueckers was a 20/game scorer that was easily capable of getting 30+ when needed. Fudd, against one of the better defenses in the country, got 20 in the last 10.5 minutes of the Tex. game on 9 shots. And it came with both Senechal and Ducharme on the bench. The ability to score a lot quickly is something UConn has thrived for decades.

Carnac

Reaction Score
.......and you'd better believe SC WILL be a different team going forward without Boston. South Carolina enjoyed 4 years of having Boston as UConn enjoyed 4 years of having Breanna Stewart the difference being the 4 NC's. So far, Stewart has been irreplaceable (no NC's since she left). Boston and Stewart type players don't grow on trees. They hard to find, and even harder to recruit. Dawn Staley has said that she and her team will do everything possible to repeat. I can believe that.

I expect Boston will be also. I'm not familiar with SC and their players of interest (POI) for 2023. Does anyone know if they have a player or two that they looking to replace Boston?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
+1

There's another stat that never gets discussed and that's pts in the 4th period & OT. Some 20pt/gm players are fully extended getting their 20. Bueckers was a 20/game scorer that was easily capable of getting 30+ when needed. Fudd, against one of the better defenses in the country, got 20 in the last 10.5 minutes of the Tex. game on 9 shots. And it came with both Senechal and Ducharme on the bench. The ability to score a lot quickly is something UConn has thrived for decades.
Mr. Horse,

I think you think the nail on the head. What separates super stars from very good players isn't so much how much they score but when they score. Sort of the "DT Factor". Paige has it and Azzi showed it to us against Texas.

Reaction Score
Yes, we've got injuries. Losing Paige was huge, but we've got the players that are going to win it all this year. We were decimated by injuries last year, and almost pulled it out anyway, even with Evina guarding Boston for a good stretch of that final game. Beating NC State in 2OT in the greatest game of the year for NCAA women's basketball with our depleted lineup is a testament to our girls and Geno and Chris Dailey's ability to get every single ounce of our player's ability. I love UConn women's basketball! There's nothing like it!
I'm counting on this year. We actually have a deep bench. There's sincere debate over who should be starting. That's a tribute to the quality of this roster. Aaliyah Edwards is playing her best basketball. Dorka is great. Ayanna Patterson, once she develops into what she's going to be, has got superstar written all over her. We have some capable bigs on this team. And, of course, Azzi, who not only is lethal, but plays great defense to boot. And then there's Lou who's playing like she's been here for several years. This team is loaded, and is going to win it all this year.
Yes, the reinforcements are coming next year next year. I can wait though. I'm waiting for the rematch with SC in the NCAA finals. Boston won't have a guard covering her this time.
This is going to be a great year for us!!!!
He wold have had them this year, but for the wave of season ending injuries. So you can't count on next year either. Or ever.h

Reaction Score
She’s done it again!

570158D3-4244-4C41-91C4-FF9DB8668954.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44