Amari article | The Boneyard

Amari article

Reaction Score
I sat adjacent to the UConn bench for the Georgetown game, and saw her crying after Geno said something to her not long after yanking her out of the game when she made a couple of mistakes- she was in the game for what seemed to be less than a minute. Several teammates consoled her quietly and after a few moments she wiped her tears away with a towel so she could refocus- that’s what it looked like to me.

I don’t know if you could see that on TV but I hope not. You couldn’t help but feel bad for her and worry that we witnessed her going into Gene’s doghouse.

But when Geno put her back in the game all of the folks sitting around me and I started shouting encouragement to her, we just wanted to let her know that we believe in her!

She played better the rest of the game and then - wow, a very good game vs Seton Hall.

Reading this article taught me more about her and makes me want to root for her even more! She may walk to the beat of a different drummer sometimes but she’s clearly loved by her teammates.

In life we are often faced with tough situations and forks in the road. Like all of us on the BY we hope we saw her turn the corner on her development on Tuesday. I think she did.

Thanks for sharing this article!

Reaction Score
Great article! I also didn’t realize Amari wears a nose ring. Sushi with Caroline and Azzi.

89A4D410-314F-471A-A206-D65C0F894C85.jpeg

Reaction Score
I sat adjacent to the UConn bench for the Georgetown game, and saw her crying after Geno said something to her not long after yanking her out of the game when she made a couple of mistakes- she was in the game for what seemed to be less than a minute. Several teammates consoled her quietly and after a few moments she wiped her tears away with a towel so she could refocus- that’s what it looked like to me.

I don’t know if you could see that on TV but I hope not. You couldn’t help but feel bad for her and worry that we witnessed her going into Gene’s doghouse.

But when Geno put her back in the game all of the folks sitting around me and I started shouting encouragement to her, we just wanted to let her know that we believe in her!

She played better the rest of the game and then - wow, a very good game vs Seton Hall.

Reading this article taught me more about her and makes me want to root for her even more! She may walk to the beat of a different drummer sometimes but she’s clearly loved by her teammates.

In life we are often faced with tough situations and forks in the road. Like all of us on the BY we hope we saw her turn the corner on her development on Tuesday. I think she did.

Thanks for sharing this article!
I remember another incident a few seasons ago where Geno pulled a player off the floor and had words and the player cried on national tv. That worked out pretty good :)

Reaction Score
I remember another incident a few seasons ago where Geno pulled a player off the floor and had words and the player cried on national tv. That worked out pretty good :)
She swears she wasn’t crying (from SNY’s Undefeated series, DT with 2002 team). They were a riot. Lots of teasing.

Reaction Score
In the last the last several Big East games, Amari has intrigued me as she seemed to be progressing well under the no-options rotation CD deployed, playing both Amari and Ines a bit more. CD was the one who mentioned Amari was basically out of shape and couldn't keep up with her teammates at the speed UConn wants to play the game. Upon seeing her run alongside Nika on a fastbreak to receive the pass which she finished, I thought Amari was getting in shape. But the Seton Hall game showed some of the things she is did indicated what she could become.

For her and Ines, the highlight reel that made ESPN Sports Center Top 10 encapsulated their progress and promise. Amari down, Ines quickly adjusted - first leaning to move back but swiftly changed directions cutting to the basket when she realized a passing lane was open. Amari saw this and delivered the ball. Both quick recognition, reactive plays that will live on in UConn WBB lore.

Sure, Geno had to dig at Amari missing her first layup attempt but she wasn't the only one who missed a layup in close quarters and that includes Aaliyah (more than once).

Things are looking up for the two.....and I give credit to CD for the way she handled them in prior games....by putting them in early to get into the flow of the game.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
Since when we start allowing the injured reserve to eat sushi? It should be tin can tomatoes and toast until they can play again!
You have some of the weirdest posts @hoopsnloops32. I can't help myself, I keep coming back for more....

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
The article brought back great memories that I had forgotten. Diana's Pool, many a day I spent there, catching rays and going down the water/rock slide. It's been 50 plus years that I last thought about it.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
This is an Amari thread
Nan, if your post is to me, since the link you posted had a mention of Diana's Pool in it, I assumed my commenting on it and the memories brought up by it was ok. Feel free to delete it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan, if your post is to me, since the link you posted had a mention of Diana's Pool in it, I assumed my commenting on it and the memories brought up by it was ok. Feel free to delete it.
No, it wasn’t you.

Reaction Score
I used to go to Diana's Pool way back, but went back several decades ago and the area was closed off with a fence and a No Trespass sign.

Has it been opened to the public again?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I used to go to Diana's Pool way back, but went back several decades ago and the area was closed off with a fence and a No Trespass sign.

Has it been opened to the public again?
Same, every spring until someone jumped off the cliff and broke their leg and then they would close it, at least temporarily.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom