Amanda Butler out as Head Coach of Florida | The Boneyard

Amanda Butler out as Head Coach of Florida

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
@GatorsWBK coach Amanda Butler will not return next season, #Gators AD Scott Stricklin announced Monday.

Long overdue. Florida could be a great job as there's enough HS talent in Florida to be a perennial Top 15 team if you lock up the State.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
@GatorsWBK coach Amanda Butler will not return next season, #Gators AD Scott Stricklin announced Monday.

Long overdue. Florida could be a great job as there's enough HS talent in Florida to be a perennial Top 15 team if you lock up the State.

Amanda Butler
In her 10 years, Butler's teams accumulated a record of 190-137 (0.581) and 71-85 (0.455) in SEC action. Florida earned four NCAA Tournament bids, advancing to the NCAA Second Round in 2009, 2012 and 2014. The highest finish in SEC play for UF in the last 10 years was a tie for fourth in 2008-09 and 2015-16.

Carolyn Peck
During her five seasons at Florida (2002–03 through 2006-07), the Gators posted a 72–75 record with only two NCAA tournament berths.

It has been some time since Florida was relevant on the national scene in WBB.

Reaction Score
She's Ralph will be the more likely target. Florida made a run a Geno a few years ago but Geno elected to stay at UConn.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I+called+it+1.jpg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wonder if they would consider Katie Meier.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
She's Ralph will be the more likely target. Florida made a run a Geno a few years ago but Geno elected to stay at UConn.
That was a smart move by them knowing how much he loves to golf and such. I suppose it would be a smart move by anyone really. I can't see him leaving what he built though.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'm wondering something about the timing of this announcement. Arkansas announced Jimmy Dykes's "resignation" within 48 hours of his team's loss in the SEC tournament. There are obvious advantages to moving quickly on a firing decision because it gives you first dibs at the hiring pool. So it always intrigues me when a school waits several days or longer to pull the trigger.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've heard they are considering Natalie Butler as they wouldn't have pay to get a new door plaque.

Plebe

Reaction Score

Eh, I mean, setting the current year aside, has Meier been significantly more successful at Miami than Butler was at Florida? Florida and Miami last year were both #5 seeds who lost in the first round.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Yeah, but would she consider them? She signed an extension with Miami in 2014 that goes through the 2021 season. On top of that, she
seems to really enjoy it there in a major way.
UM extends WBB coach Katie Meier, who donates 75K to women's sports at school

I always figured that Katie was the "Dookie" come-home-option if things went south at Duke with Coach P. That seems to have been stabilized (I'll withhold judgement until Lexi leaves...), so I'm not sure Meier wants to go anywhere. Miami gets better each and every year.

However, I think the Florida job is a solid one. The campus is a natural lure, not just for players from there or Georgia, but the northeast. The lure of Gainesville and the Sunshine State is huge. When they started a women's lacrosse program a few years back, they were contenders within a few years because they had no problem getting kids from lacrosse hotbeds of Long Island, Maryland and New Jersey.
I'm sure that lure could be applied to 'ballers.

Plebe

Reaction Score
However, I think the Florida job is a solid one. The campus is a natural lure, not just for players from there or Georgia, but the northeast. The lure of Gainesville and the Sunshine State is huge. When they started a women's lacrosse program a few years back, they were contenders within a few years because they had no problem getting kids from lacrosse hotbeds of Long Island, Maryland and New Jersey.
I'm sure that lure could be applied to 'ballers.

Without having done any research on this, I have the impression that most of the 4- and 5-star recruits from Florida tend to leave the state.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Eh, I mean, setting the current year aside, has Meier been significantly more successful at Miami than Butler was at Florida? Florida and Miami last year were both #5 seeds who lost in the first round.

I don't have the records in front of me.. But seems like her tenure has been more significant more successful, but I could be wrong

Plebe

Reaction Score
I don't have the records in front of me.. But seems like her tenure has been more significant more successful, but I could be wrong
I just looked it up. Meier has been at Miami since 2005. They have made the NCAA tournament in 5 of the past 6 years, and advanced to the 2nd round in 2011, 2012, and 2015. But no Sweet 16's.

Butler was hired at Florida in 2007. She's had 4 NCAA tournament appearances (including three 2nd-round finishes) but had losing seasons in 2 of the past 3 years.

I wouldn't call that significantly more success in terms of postseason wins, but certainly more consistent, although not spectacular, in the past 6 years.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm wondering something about the timing of this announcement. Arkansas announced Jimmy Dykes's "resignation" within 48 hours of his team's loss in the SEC tournament. There are obvious advantages to moving quickly on a firing decision because it gives you first dibs at the hiring pool. So it always intrigues me when a school waits several days or longer to pull the trigger.
Sometimes it depends on the terms of the coach's contract. UConn saves some money by waiting to fire Coach Diaco effective Jan.2. If they'd let him go a week earlier, UConn would have had to pay another six figures. So, timing matters.

Butler's contract might run from the beginning of a new season, maybe the day after the NCAA tourney ends? So it would have cost more to hold on to her for a few more weeks. Just a guess.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Without having done any research on this, I have the impression that most of the 4- and 5-star recruits from Florida tend to leave the state.

Second issue first: Katie Meier's record. If Butler had approached what Meier has done, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Katie Meier completed her 11th season as the head coach of the Hurricanes' women's basketball program in 2015-16. A well-known and respected figure in women's basketball, Meier has worked tirelessly to put her mark on Miami's program and to build a winning tradition. In 2015-16, Meier guided her team to a seventh consecutive postseason, a fifth trip to the NCAA Tournament in the last six years, and a sixth 20-plus win season in the last seven years, all extending program records. In January 2014, Meier was named a co-recipient of the 2013 USA Basketball National Coach of the Year award after leading the USA U-19 team to a gold medal and perfect 9-0 record at the 2013 FIBA U-19 World Championship. The Hurricanes made the semi-finals of the ACC Tournament in both 2016 and 2017.
NCAA Tournament Appearances under Meier ( ‘11, ‘12, ‘13, ‘15, ‘16)
WNIT Appearances Under Meier (‘06, ‘10, ‘14)

Basketball Talent and Recruiting: Here is where this year's Miami Roster is from. It's interesting --
FLORIDA No. 0 Keyanna Harris No. 3 Jessica Thomas No. 4 Shaneese Bailey No. 15 Neydja Petithomme No. 22 Zada Williams GEORGIA No. 5 Nigia Greene No. 20 Keyona Hayes No. 30 Erykah Davenport NETHERLANDS No. 1 Laura Cornelius No. 21 Emese Hof BELGIUM No. 51 Serena-Lynn Geldof DENMARK (via New York's Long Island) No. 12 Sarah Mortensen MARYLAND No. 25 Khaila Prather VIRGINIA No. 23 Adrienne Motley

Of those players, her "stars" -- Motley and Thomas, are from Virginia and Florida, respectively. Meier has recruited internationally well: Cornelius and Hof are excellent and have contributed well.

She's bullt a program around a mix of in-state, nearby (Georgia) and around the Atlantic seaboard, plus international (as another thread has shown, is growing in popularity).

So could Florida do the same, if not better? Well, there were several top prospects that left for other programs but part of the gig is convincing them to stay. And getting pipelines into other locales, much like Billy Donovan did on the guys side.
I think it's a good gig. Not for Meier at this time in her career, but for a just-coming-into their prime somewhat younger coach or top assistant at a top program.

Reaction Score

Well anybody interested in one of the UConn assistants will have a long wait till after the finals of of the Tournament anyway.........:)

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I'm guessing the Florida job. Would be more to a coach than the Arkansas job.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom