Amanda Butler out as Head Coach of Florida | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Amanda Butler out as Head Coach of Florida

Reaction Score
Marisa Moseley is the 3rd assistant. She's not gonna be hired to coach Florida.

Vandy made a serious run at niele Ivey. Florida is a different animal, but wonder if they would consider her.

As for Meier, I think she's done a pretty good job in a very tough conference. And she has done coaching for USA basketball.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm guessing the Florida job. Would be more to a coach than the Arkansas job.

The Arkansas program, IMHO, became toxic this past year when much of the fan base reacted so irately to some of the players' kneeling for the anthem. The Razorback message boards were afire and both Dykes and the AD took a ton of heat. Meanwhile, Christyn Williams, the #2-ranked 2018 recruit from Little Rock whom Dykes was really going after hard, tweeted her obvious displeasure at the public backlash over the issue.

Arkansas's attendance at home games fell off sharply even before the team went into the SEC tank. They averaged over 2,300 per game last year but in many games this year were barely cracking 1,000. The task of mending fences with the fan base while also making Arkansas a inviting place for recruits sounds more than daunting to me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They probably couldn't pay her what she makes at UConn as an assistant.

UCONN is only good at women's basketball and maybe soccer .... that's about it. Florida on the other hand has athletics out of this world, Football, Basketball, Soccer, Tennis, Track & Field you name it their Athletic Dept. is VERY wealthy.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Who ever gets the Florida Job, should be a coach who can recruit Florida players. Majority of the better Florida leave the State to attend other schools. FSU, UF and Miami for what ever reason rarely get the Elite Florida players. Rellah Boothe from Florida; McDonald's All American; is going to Texas.

Reaction Score
UCONN is only good at women's basketball and maybe soccer .... that's about it. Florida on the other hand has athletics out of this world, Football, Basketball, Soccer, Tennis, Track & Field you name it their Athletic Dept. is VERY wealthy.

Um lol.
First UConn has also won multiple national championships in field hockey. (Not to mention men's basketball, women's basketball, and men's soccer).

But all sports not named football are irrelevant. Florida has money solely because of football.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let's see...4 National Championships in Men's basketball, 3 in Men's Soccer, 4 in Field Hockey...yeah, I'd say UConn is pretty damned good at sports outside of Women's Basketball.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Marisa Moseley is the 3rd assistant. She's not gonna be hired to coach Florida.

Vandy made a serious run at niele Ivey. Florida is a different animal, but wonder if they would consider her.

As for Meier, I think she's done a pretty good job in a very tough conference. And she has done coaching for USA basketball.

I think the Florida position would catch anyone's attention. The resources in the athletic department (football $$$), it's location, Gainesville rep among students are all +++ attributes. But something kept it from shining before. Doubt it was "just" the coach, so figuring out what/if any institutional/administrative issues are there would be something to address by the hiring powers that be; and, an adept coach interviewing there.

That said, the flip-side of your last two points are: would Meier and Ivey be interested in Florida (if the Gators are interested in them). Meier is in a pretty darned good position in Coral Gables, signed through 2021 and pretty much able to do what she wants. And very much embedded in the community.

Ivey is in an interesting position, as well. Save for a (very) few years away, she's been at Notre Dame non-stop as a student and now a coach. On top of that, she's a single parent whose son is very close to everyone in the coaching staff and the Joyce Center ("...it takes a department"). He was in 8th grade last year and many felt if she was going to make a break, that was the natural year. That was when she interviewed at Vandy (as you brought up) and many in South Bend and McGraw's Bench were very nervous. But White was chosen over Ivey and Banghart (a great bunch of finalists), so we got to keep our guard coach and -- perhaps even more important -- recruiting coordinator. I've always thought she'd want to find an environment similar to ND, in terms academics, athletics, support from administration, community support, etc. Most have looked at private institutions -- Vandy, Stanford, Northwestern, Duke, etc. -- but those are few and far in between. And there are those that think she's the coach-in-waiting, but there's no indication MM is ready to step down and there's a fair degree of depth in that coaching tree. So, we'll see if she heads out and where.....

Reaction Score
My choice would be Courtney Banghart of Princeton. She has proven she can coach. If she ever can get the Florida talent to stay at U of Fl. they'll duplicate what Brenda Frese did at Maryland and Dawn Staley at South Carolina.

Reaction Score

Remember this beat down.

Reaction Score
Remember this beat down.

Connecticut football can't hold a candle to SEC football. They probably wouldn't win a game if they were in the SEC.

Reaction Score
Connecticut football can't hold a candle to SEC football. They probably wouldn't win a game if they were in the SEC.
You're right.

NOW...how did that 2010 Papa John's Bowl turn out for you?

Reaction Score

Ok so you should have kicked Uconn's ass then right.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Let's see...4 National Championships in Men's basketball, 3 in Men's Soccer, 4 in Field Hockey...yeah, I'd say UConn is pretty damned good at sports outside of Women's Basketball.
He was a little crude and short about it, but Florida is very good in quite a few sports. What surprised me was that he didn't mention softball (Florida is #1 in one of the polls) besides the ones mentioned. It can be a first rate job and they just renovated their arena, besides.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Yeah, I saw that. It will be interesting because a lot of the other teams she was considering -- Iowa State, Indiana, Purdue -- have all latched onto point guards. However, the other university mentioned -- Pittsburgh -- has two forwards coming in. Could be a match with McConnell-Serio? Or perhaps there are other teams....I'm kind of amazed how few early recruits the Big 1G has thus far. Indiana has the most (5) and Northwestern has a good class, but two have none (0) so far -- Ohio State and Wisconsin. Might be some options with those teams in red....

Plebe

Reaction Score
Too often the sport gets reduced to win-loss records, points and stats. All too easily we forget about the real emotions and relationships that any team is built on. This video, from Florida's final postgame press conference, is a good reminder of the human side of our sport (get your tissues ready):

SEC: Postgame Press Conference 3-2-17

Ronni Williams is a bona fide pro prospect, and Delicia Washington is a very promising freshman. I wish them the best.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

SCspur - never say never. Because if you do, it usually comes back and bites you in the gluteus maximus!

Plebe

Reaction Score

I assume he means Becky Hammon.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I would be surprised if Becky jumps to a college job right now - I am sure she could command more money and have autonomy, but she is breaking new ground right now and I think she (and I) would like to see where that goes.

Someone who doesn't get discussed is Katie Smith, who I think might be an intriguing choice, and Banghart has to be on everyone's top three list - I am a little surprised that she wasn't offered the Vanderbilt job, though I think White was a good choice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom