AMA (and The Ones That Got Away) | The Boneyard

AMA (and The Ones That Got Away)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tuned in to NC State to see a little of Abu (never seen him play) and missed his cameo. He continues to be a complete non factor - zero points, one rebound, no second half minutes at Purdue. Averaging 2 points on 29 percent shooting so far this year. I imagine he'll show well against a cupcake eventually and perhaps be a rotation guy come ACC time, but he's been slow to have any sort of an impact.

Larrier went scoreless against Illinois State (second doughnut in a row). Unlike Abu, he's shown some flashes this year (21 in a blowout, 11 vs Tennessee). Can shoot pretty well at his size.

Perkins is out with a broken jaw at Gonzaga. Weird play where he got kicked after an up fake caused someone to fly out to contest, and he dribbled right into the guy's path flying by. He showed some flashes too - but mostly against St. Joe's in a blowout and 7 assists against a non-DI

Oubre (who we probably never had much of a shot at), surprisingly isn't a factor yet at Kansas. Less than 10 mpg and about 2.5 ppg.

Bonzie Colson has gotten some run for ND during blowouts, particularly against Binghamton and Chicago State (enough to average 3.5 ppg), but didn't play in their two closer games. Looks like a fringe rotation guy this year.

Chukwu is definitely a project but had a couple nice moments against Kentucky (7 points) - you can see the potential there.

The best of the guys we were seriously involved with right now might be Paul White (6 ppg at Georgetown). He got playing time late in a close game recently (maybe Wisky) and hit a big shot.

(Disclaimer: none of this means much long term, as several of these guys will likely develop - just looks like we weren't going to have a lot of immediate help from most of our recruiting targets, other than DHam).

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I've liked Larrier in the brief time I've seen him - he'd be getting minutes at UConn.

I don't think Colson was ever a serious target

Quentin Snyder is buried at Louisville - he's only getting minutes in massacres.

Leron Black is doing very well at Illinois - nine points and about four rebounds a game.

JaKeenan Gant has been active at Missouri. He's been arrested once and suspended twice. He hasn't appeared in their first six games and appears to have some sort of mega-eligibilty issue.

Ray Kasongo is on the roster and playing for Southern Idaho - they are murdering people (10-0) and thus about a dozen kids are averaging double digit minutes.

He's averaging seven points and about six rebounds in 14 minutes.

The other kid that I really would not mind seeing UConn make a run at is JaQuan Lyle. He's doing well in his prep year and would be the extra ball handler we seem to need.

Reaction Score
Pretty surprising situation at Kansas. Coming into the season, Oubre was projected to be a top 5 pick in the upcoming draft and is getting less than 10 minutes a game. Another pre-season and even projected to be a 1st rounder last year in Selden has taken a big step back from a year ago to this year.

I really am surprised at the play of Abu as I think many projected him to be a starter if he had come to UConn.

Reaction Score
Tuned in to NC State to see a little of Abu (never seen him play) and missed his cameo. He continues to be a complete non factor - zero points, one rebound, no second half minutes at Purdue. Averaging 2 points on 29 percent shooting so far this year. I imagine he'll show well against a cupcake eventually and perhaps be a rotation guy come ACC time, but he's been slow to have any sort of an impact.

Larrier went scoreless against Illinois State (second doughnut in a row). Unlike Abu, he's shown some flashes this year (21 in a blowout, 11 vs Tennessee). Can shoot pretty well at his size.

Perkins is out with a broken jaw at Gonzaga. Weird play where he got kicked after an up fake caused someone to fly out to contest, and he dribbled right into the guy's path flying by. He showed some flashes too - but mostly against St. Joe's in a blowout and 7 assists against a non-DI

Oubre (who we probably never had much of a shot at), surprisingly isn't a factor yet at Kansas. Less than 10 mpg and about 2.5 ppg.

Bonzie Colson has gotten some run for ND during blowouts, particularly against Binghamton and Chicago State (enough to average 3.5 ppg), but didn't play in their two closer games. Looks like a fringe rotation guy this year.

Chukwu is definitely a project but had a couple nice moments against Kentucky (7 points) - you can see the potential there.

The best of the guys we were seriously involved with right now might be Paul White (6 ppg at Georgetown). He got playing time late in a close game recently (maybe Wisky) and hit a big shot.

(Disclaimer: none of this means much long term, as several of these guys will likely develop - just looks like we weren't going to have a lot of immediate help from most of our recruiting targets, other than DHam).

You forgot one more Freshman we recruited.

Daniel Hamilton, 13.2 PPG, 6.6 REBs, 33.8 mins, .500 FG%, .500 3P% !!

I think we landed the right man

Reaction Score
ColoradoUCFan said:
You forgot one more Freshman we recruited. Daniel Hamilton, 13.2 PPG, 6.6 REBs, 33.8 mins, .500 FG%, .500 3P% !! I think we landed the right man

Well, the thread title is "ones who got away" and the last word of the post is actually DHam.

But I agree with the point you're making. We landed the best guy we probably could have for immediate help.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
XRM looked good for Florida State last night.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I've liked Larrier in the brief time I've seen him - he'd be getting minutes at UConn.

I don't think Colson was ever a serious target

Quentin Snyder is buried at Louisville - he's only getting minutes in massacres.

Leron Black is doing very well at Illinois - nine points and about four rebounds a game.

JaKeenan Gant has been active at Missouri. He's been arrested once and suspended twice. He hasn't appeared in their first six games and appears to have some sort of mega-eligibilty issue.

Ray Kasongo is on the roster and playing for Southern Idaho - they are murdering people (10-0) and thus about a dozen kids are averaging double digit minutes.

He's averaging seven points and about six rebounds in 14 minutes.

The other kid that I really would not mind seeing UConn make a run at is JaQuan Lyle. He's doing well in his prep year and would be the extra ball handler we seem to need.
Didnt Nate Miles also end up at southern idaho? I guess they will take anybody there.

Reaction Score
How is Daniel Hamilton doing for UCLA? In all seriousness, it's good we missed out on some of these kids, Abu has bust written all over him. As for Jaquan Lyle, he can play but I think we should probably steer clear of him.

Reaction Score
might as well add Diamond Stone and Prince Ali to this as well.
I really wanted to cheer for someone named Prince Ali :p

Reaction Score
Hey ... I said we needed to recruit another ball handler & I got slapped around ...

Reaction Score
D-HAM >>>>> Kelly Oubre & Devin Robinson at this juncture.

Reaction Score
would be so nice to have a frontcourt featuring a Rock and a Stone, the local writers must be drooling thinking of how easy the not so clever headlines would become

Reaction Score
where is Corny T. subtoo when you needs him

sledteam need big who can shoots

where the h_ll are they

even in my daze in storz Mr Gary Custick, a 6-8 big out of New City NY averages 18ppg and Mr Cal Chapman out of dee elm city was a career 1000+ pt dude who could really stick the corner j from 17, in my senior yr i saw Mr Earl wilson, a 6-6 do everything forward on freshman team from elm city run rampant and take on whole defenses by his self

heck, even rom rhubala could score 11 ppg from power forward slot my frosh and soph yrs

where dee coaches lookin, up granny skirt for playas?

deese coaches better get a juco or e. euro shooter in the frontline next yr or there is goin to be endless fanbase moanin

Reaction Score
You forgot one more Freshman we recruited.

Daniel Hamilton, 13.2 PPG, 6.6 REBs, 33.8 mins, .500 FG%, .500 3P% !!

I think we landed the right man
But, but, but he's a ball hog....and a chucker....and never saw a shot he didn't like................................

I hope his stats stay similar to this (although the 3 pint % obviously will go down) so I can tell Jeff Goodman he's full of .

Reaction Score
HooperScooper said:
But, but, but he's a ball hog....and a chucker....and never saw a shot he didn't like....... I hope his stats stay similar to this (although the 3 pint % obviously will go down) so I can tell Jeff Goodman he's full of .

He's been the exact opposite so far - he probably passes up too many open looks, and his passing is great. He's lost some assists as Brimah or Facey have been fouled or missed, so his A:TO ratio doesn't look good yet - especially with the 8 turnovers against WV.

pj

Reaction Score

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Perkins looked really good in three games I saw him. Made plays without getting too fancy, and was often the guy who made the pass before the pass (like Shabazz with the Heat).

Of all of the above, he's the one I most wish we'd landed.

Reaction Score
Jordan McLaughlin on USC, too. Averaging 11 points and 5 assists for them.

Reaction Score
A couple more...

Kameron Chatman: 6 pts 5 reb in 22 mpg at Michigan
Khadeen Carrington: 7 pts 2 ast in 17 mpg at Seton Hall

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Let's not forget Devin Robinson. I watched some of the UF/UL-Monroe game and Robinson was planted deep on the bench late in the game while UF barely squeaked by UL-Monroe in OT. His numbers have been pretty terrible thus far:

4.2 ppg, 25.0% FG, 16.7% 3pt

When looking at the 4 wings UConn recruited last year (Hamilton, Robinson, Larrier, and White), the early indications are that UConn ended up with the best guy...by a wide margin.

Reaction Score
of the olliewood recruits over last 3 yrs that have seen live action; only newrip is a triple threat(and he came from ollies high school)

too much settling for leftovers in recruiting wars

maybe 2 student athletes in fold for '15-'16 will be triple threat prototype

i hope sledteam dont see a JC like roster panic completion to fill all 13 ships with just warm body practice players like the trices of the world

this roster needs alot of help now; looks like they didnt do any manpower planning to anticipate deandre leaving; if they thought kenihop was the scouting answer i am glad they dont do any scouting for me

these sympathy ships for brainee walkons need to stop, if though APR was all good and they dont need geniuses to bring it up: this roster needs all 13 slots filled wit divI playas

i guess the manpower planners never think the broken bod bug bites huskies; believe me my husky dog was bitten on the ears every summer to a pulp but i stopped it fast with camping trip anti bug lotion applied to ears every morning in summer and fall/maybe these huskies in storz should try the lotion because the reinforcements spend all time in libary getting Apluses and dont really wish to touch a basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom