Alyssia Brewer: UCLA coaches 'care about the player' | The Boneyard

Alyssia Brewer: UCLA coaches 'care about the player'

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Nah...just a kid responding to a question and giving some positive energy towards her decision to transfer. I didn't read it as a shot at her former coaches at all. I am sure that whatever agreement she reached with Pat included keeping the terms of her departure private.

Reaction Score
I agree with you CF. I’m guessing they just wanted to bring the article a little extra attention with the heading.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I thinkCF has it right. More telling was her comment about sitting out providing the time to heal. Just speculating but it's possible that UTenn wanted her to play this season and she didn't feel ready.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I don't see anything sinister here at all. She needed a change of scene, and she can use her redshirt year (as she said) to completely rehab and get acclimated to her new team in new surroundings. I think we all wish her well.

Reaction Score
Comment needs to be taken in context of her being positive about her new school. I am glad for her that she is taking the entire year! She had to choose a school that was starting later so that she did not stay at TN for the ist semester. Then her transfer would allow her only half of a season! This way she gets the entire year which benefits her getting healthy and having the full year. What does indicate that there is more to the story is why couldn't she have taken the year off as a medical redshirt at TN??? The # of players who did leave the program or gave up eligibility,or were not approved medically,was a shockingly high #. Was it 4 or 5 in the last 4-6 months? I will add the names later.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I kinda get the impression that the quesiton was asked how are the coaches treating you and she responded, however was there an under tone? We dont know we werent there. With that said we know TN has been having problems. They were compounded with Pats illness. We saw during the Parker years many transfers and over the past couple of seasons many more. These are top players leaving. Brewer is a big blow to this season. As the season goes on we will see if there are any other comments.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I kinda get the impression that the quesiton was asked how are the coaches treating you and she responded, however was there an under tone? We dont know we werent there. With that said we know TN has been having problems. They were compounded with Pats illness. We saw during the Parker years many transfers and over the past couple of seasons many more. These are top players leaving. Brewer is a big blow to this season. As the season goes on we will see if there are any other comments.
i agree Tony. going back to 2005 or so, we've seen SWG, Dosty, Moss, McMahon, Moats, Cain, Gray, Dupree, Avant, and Brewer all leave the team early in one way or another. some due to injuries/medical reasons, some due to transfers, some simply deciding to just quit the team. that's 10 players in a 6 year period. i'm sure there are individual explanations for each one, but when you have volume like that, well your questions are well founded. ;)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
An interesting stat. I don't pay a lot of attention to UTenn anymore and I was really surprised at the number of players leaving. How many left for reasons other than injury?

In the same time frame I think the only UConn player that defected was Walker.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
An interesting stat. I don't pay a lot of attention to UTenn anymore and I was really surprised at the number of players leaving. How many left for reasons other than injury?

In the same time frame I think the only UConn player that defected was Walker.
it depends how technical you want to get re: UCONN... During the same time period we lost Sadiq, Walker, Phillips, EDD, and Jess McCormack. Neither EDD nor Jess made it to a single UCONN practice. i don't think you can really count McCormack as she never set foot on campus. EDD left after one day.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
Fuller completed all 4 years of her eligibility at Tennessee. You can add Parker to this list too as she only played 3 years.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Although I am not a particular fan of Summit, I am a HUGE supporter of Women's College Basketball and the Student Athletes. I think that coming to Tennessee's defections, it just how the cards fell. Kelley Cain was a great center, but I don't think her body could take it anymore. So many games I seen she looked like she was in some sort of pain. Avant had issues ( medical ) even before arriving in Knoxville. Parker may have only played 3 years, but she left with a degree! Gray left so that she could continue to play and Xavier was close to home for her. So again, I don't necessarily think its any fault of Tennessee. Faith Dupree maybe the one that I don't understand. She could have played a major part this season and next in relation to the center spot.

I'm not gonna lie, there are some great Tennessee players past and present that I am a fan of including Parker/Catchings/Anosike/Moore. I wish we still played Tennessee. It was fun to watch and be a part of but that may never happen on a regular basis and we should all just move forward.

And besides, UCONN has had some players leave as well. EDD(which of ALL is the one that most aggravates me), Jess McCormack--who I never saw, Walker-who never looked happy to be in Storrs.

I guess I am just saying that we may never really know the reasoning players leave/transfer, but we should just accept it and continue to support the student athletes wherever they end up. I was wanting Bria Holmes to come to UCONN, she didn't, but I am still gonna cheer for her at WVU ( except against UCONN of course).

Happy Weekend!!!

and Thanks to tnvolfan65 or stopping by.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
it depends how technical you want to get re: UCONN... During the same time period we lost Sadiq, Walker, Phillips, EDD, and Jess McCormack. Neither EDD nor Jess made it to a single UCONN practice. i don't think you can really count McCormack as she never set foot on campus. EDD left after one day.

Neither Delle Donne nor McCormack ever played in a Husky uniform. I'm not even sure that they even attended an official practice. I don't consider them ex- UConn players. I forgot about Sadiq. That tells you how much she was missed - by me anyway. When did Phillips leave? Wasn't she another one that never played a game. IIRC she left after a few practices. I remember something about injury but also rumors about work ethic.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Neither Delle Donne nor McCormack ever played in a Husky uniform. I'm not even sure that they even attended an official practice. I don't consider them ex- UConn players. I forgot about Sadiq. That tells you how much she was missed - by me anyway. When did Phillips leave? Wasn't she another one that never played a game. IIRC she left after a few practices. I remember something about injury but also rumors about work ethic.
you are correct, of course, but i was pointing out kids who "technically" verbaled and then left.

I'm not sure if McCormack ever even visited campus. EDD left after one pick-up practice June-ish. IIRC she came to campus, settled in to her dorm, went to one pick up practice and abruptly left. Sadiq was a JUCO transfer who came from Central Arizona College (The head coach there had one of the best community college programs in the nation I believe), lasted one year (she had one game where she scored 16 points. other than that, she just was not able to grasp the UCONN offensive or defensive schemes), and then left for Oklahoma State. Kristen Phillips fractured her foot in high school and it never really healed. she hardly played while at UCONN and IIRC, Geno questioned her commitment. i think she left after 1 semester. The chemistry was much improved upon her departure to my recollection and she ended up at Richmond, but injuries plagued her entire college hoops career.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if McCormack ever even visited campus.

Jess McCormack was a student at UConn for the fall semester in 2008 and the early part of the Spring semester in 2009. She was on the bench during home games but was was not permitted to travel for away games. She returned to New Zealand for achilles surgery in Feb 2009 and announced in April that she would remain in New Zealand.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Jess McCormack was a student at UConn for the fall semester in 2009 and the early part of the Spring semester in 2009. She was on the bench during home games but was was not permitted to travel for away games. She returned to New Zealand for achilles surgery in Feb 2009 and announced in April that she would remain in New Zealand.
+1 She spent a semester on campus while in her transfer period.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I corrected my earlier post. She was a student beginning in the Fall 2008 not 2009.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I used to follow Jess McCormack after she left UCONN (we lived for 2 years in New Zealand and are still interested in things N ZED ), but she seems to have completely been out of the sports scene for several years...there was a little netball, a fling at local pro BB in Australia and then not a peep, and its been more than a while. I conjecture that her injuries were serious enough to derail a promising career.

Reaction Score
Jesse McCormack was on the team photo...I know, since it's on the wall right next to my desk! Wish they still did the team photo/poster/program, but I haven't seen one for a while now.

Reaction Score
"I have family out here and am looking forward to playing in front of them,'' she said in a release. "Cali is like a second home for me. I have two years of club basketball in California. "

That says it all to me. No diss to TN, simply wants to be closer to family and friends. UCLA is a better school too.

JS

Reaction Score
No diss to TN . . . UCLA is a better school too.
If she won't, you will, eh cf?

Can't quarrel with you on either count.

Reaction Score
If she won't, you will, eh cf?

Can't quarrel with you on either count.

to be clear, I didn't think Brewer was dissing TN bball and Pat. From her quote, she wants to be closer to friends and family. It was my inference that UCLA is a better school than TN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom