Alyssia Brewer: UCLA coaches 'care about the player' | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Alyssia Brewer: UCLA coaches 'care about the player'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
EDD and MAC never played for Uconn. I don't see either as having been members of the team.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
as a side note, since 2004, tennessee has had 25 recruits commit. 11 have left early for one reason or another. that's 44% of the recruits leaving the program. that's not including the kids coming in this year because the season has barely officially started so i didn't include them.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
EDD and MAC never played for Uconn. I don't see either as having been members of the team.
Mac did practice with the team. You are allowed to do that during the wait year.

Reaction Score
Mac did practice with the team. You are allowed to do that during the wait year.

I guess from my own view, if a player has never been eligible to play actual games with the team or only spent a day or three on campus before leaving they then have not been part of the team, just my view of course.

Final four and more Go Uconn !!!!!!!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
as a side note, since 2004, tennessee has had 25 recruits commit. 11 have left early for one reason or another. that's 44% of the recruits leaving the program. that's not including the kids coming in this year because the season has barely officially started so i didn't include them.
Wow...interesting number.

Just curious. Do you know what UConn's percentage is over the same timeframe?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Wow...interesting number.

Just curious. Do you know what UConn's percentage is over the same timeframe?
depends how you want to count them. Sadiq, Phillips, EDD, JMc and Samarie. if you count it that way, it's 5. 28 recruits in total. roughly 18%. keep in mind i was counting EVERY player who left tennessee early no matter what the reason. Players like SWG, Dosty, Moats, Avant, Brewer, etc. transferred to other programs/schools. Players like Parke, Cain, etc. left just before their senior year not using up their 4 years eligibility, either from graduating or simply quitting the team... . Players like Gray left because of injuries, but still went to another program.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
2004-5 - Swanier, Houston, Thomas, Sadiq
2005-6 - Williams, Montgomery, Green, Kerns
2006-7 - Fernandes, Gardler, Charles, McLaren, Phillips
2007-8 - Moore, Dixon
2008-9 - EDD, Doty, Hayes, McCormick
2009-10 - Buck, Faris
20010-11 - Dolson, Engeln, Johnson, Walker

I didn't include Kiana Robinson or Liz Sherwood as they were freshman 2004-5 season.

5 out of 25. 20%.

List of players that left UCONN.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
you for got Brit Hunter... she came to UCONN 2004.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I agree with Sadiq, Phillips and Walker. Delle Donne and McCormick were never Huskies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I agree with Sadiq, Phillips and Walker. Delle Donne and McCormick were never Huskies.
While that is true, they did take a roster spot and caused some struggles for Geno.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
well i agree with you but it depends on how you do the calculation. i was taking a conservative approach.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
2004-5 - Swanier, Houston, Thomas, Sadiq
2005-6 - Williams, Montgomery, Green, Kerns
2006-7 - Fernandes, Gardler, Charles, McLaren, Phillips
2007-8 - Moore, Dixon
2008-9 - EDD, Doty, Hayes, McCormick
2009-10 - Buck, Faris
20010-11 - Dolson, Engeln, Johnson, Walker

I didn't include Kiana Robinson or Liz Sherwood as they were freshman 2004-5 season.

5 out of 25. 20%.

List of players that left UCONN.

Minor point. Just wanted to add Bria Hartley to the 2010-2011 list.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
5 0f 26 for 19.23%
Actually, if we are going to use a player who was a JUCO transfer and only lasted 1 year (Sadiq), we ought to also use Brit Hunter who joined us in 2004 as part of the Houston/Thomas/Swanier class, and lasted 3 years.

she was originally recruited as part of the Sherwood, Robinson,Wright class of 2003, but transferred to UCONN the next year... so 5 out of 27... ;)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
True, and thus the original 18.5%. But I would have included Mac because she was at the school and practiced with the team and was a contributor that way until leaving in the second semester. Same as Jess Moore and Heather did during their red shirt years. If Phillips is included Mac was with the team in the same manner and as DairyAir noted was in the team photo and presumably counted as a team member by the NCAA in academic stats.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Wait a minute. Your telling me a player in her senior year, with a team she has been with for 3 seasons, friends with her teammates and a hall of fame coach is leaving just when she is ready to get a starting roll/alot of playtime, with a team that many expected to be top 4, and go to UCLA in Cal to play infront of her family and friends. No I dont buy it. There is anther reason.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I think you have a point. I can't discount the possibility that Brewer's remarks were aimed at the UTenn coaching staff. I don't know that they were, but the comment about having a year to get well made me think that she wanted to sit out this year and the UTenn coaching staff disagreed.

Reaction Score
Wait a minute. Your telling me a player in her senior year, with a team she has been with for 3 seasons, friends with her teammates and a hall of fame coach is leaving just when she is ready to get a starting roll/alot of playtime, with a team that many expected to be top 4, and go to UCLA in Cal to play infront of her family and friends. No I dont buy it. There is anther reason.

Exactly! I'm sorry to be negative about the situation but these are very good points that do not seem to have an answer. I don't buy the family & friends bit as well. Those recruits don't take 3 years to realize they are home sick.

Reaction Score

You are more than likely correct, no player does this sort of thing unless there is a conflict with the teams coach / management, imo it is silly to think otherwise.

GO UCONN !!!!!!!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
From a very reliable source:

"She is happy now. And she didn't want to redshirt. This was a bad fit from the beginning and it finally unraveled.

She has to redshirt now so she is seeing the silver lining. She sees the benefit and realizes she wasn't ready last season. That is when UT asked her to redshirt and she refused. This year they didn't offer. Both sides realized it was time to split.

She is a neat person still trying to figure out life and her path. A year off and a fresh start will be great for her.

It was not one incident that led to a parting of ways but things building over time, and there was no way to blame one side or the other. With all splits, neither side is completely in the right or wrong.

Her AAU coach got involved quickly to help find a place for her. It appeared to be more than she bargained for."

"Tennessee, like UConn, is a school for kids who eat and breathe basketball. Those who don't will have a rocky time."

So, take it for what it is worth. Think if it as something similar to the UConn/Sherwood situation. And certainly not some silly notion that Pat tossed her to the side.

Reaction Score
From a very reliable source:

"She is happy now. And she didn't want to redshirt. This was a bad fit from the beginning and it finally unraveled.

She has to redshirt now so she is seeing the silver lining. She sees the benefit and realizes she wasn't ready last season. That is when UT asked her to redshirt and she refused. This year they didn't offer. Both sides realized it was time to split.

She is a neat person still trying to figure out life and her path. A year off and a fresh start will be great for her.

It was not one incident that led to a parting of ways but things building over time, and there was no way to blame one side or the other. With all splits, neither side is completely in the right or wrong.

Her AAU coach got involved quickly to help find a place for her. It appeared to be more than she bargained for."

"Tennessee, like UConn, is a school for kids who eat and breathe basketball. Those who don't will have a rocky time."

So, take it for what it is worth. Think if it as something similar to the UConn/Sherwood situation. And certainly not some silly notion that Pat tossed her to the side.

I would agree that Pat did not "toss her aside" but gave her a choice to play or move on. Not a lot of spin needed to explain the conflict and outcome. jmo of course.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

What you posted in orange is NOT the Liz Sherwood situation. Liz's parents differed on where they thought Liz would go to college, although they left the final decision in her hands. Liz always wanted to go to Vandy but she didn't want to disappoint her parents so she compromised by accepting UConn's offer. Although Liz didn't hate her time here she didn't love it either as her heart was with Vandy. Once she transferred, she blossomed because she was where she had always wanted to go.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
What you posted in orange is NOT the Liz Sherwood situation. Liz's parents differed on where they thought Liz would go to college, although they left the final decision in her hands. Liz always wanted to go to Vandy but she didn't want to disappoint her parents so she compromised by accepting UConn's offer. Although Liz didn't hate her time here she didn't love it either as her heart was with Vandy. Once she transferred, she blossomed because she was where she had always wanted to go.
I didn't mean to imply that what I typed in orange would apply to Liz. Just that it was similar in that it just wasn't the right place for both players.

Reaction Score
(we lived for 2 years in New Zealand and are still interested in things N ZED )

Is this the part where we get to derail the thread by talking about..... ....THE RUGBY!!! And the legend that is Richie McCaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom