Always finding a way to lose | The Boneyard

Always finding a way to lose

Reaction Score
We've shown we can play with anybody but we've shown we are completely incapable of making winning plays when it matters. We just ourplayed the #14 team on the road for 35 minutes in a building they never lose in but we all knew we would make the losing plays down the stretch and lose. I don't understand how they keep doing it over and over and over but I know it's always going to happen. I don't know what Hurley can do to get them to stop doing it outside of giving them all a lobotomy.

Reaction Score
Totally agree with this. I knew when we didnt extend our 6 point lead mid way thru the 2nd, it was setting us up for a scared final 5 min. Lack of execution plus unforced turnovers is becoming a staple of this regime

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Team gets excited instead of focused. It’s something that ought to be able to be fixed. We are worlds better than two years ago, but need composure down the stretch. No need for exciting plays, just smart plays.

Reaction Score
We've shown we can play with anybody but we've shown we are completely incapable of making winning plays when it matters. We just ourplayed the #14 team on the road for 35 minutes in a building they never lose in but we all knew we would make the losing plays down the stretch and lose. I don't understand how they keep doing it over and over and over but I know it's always going to happen. I don't know what Hurley can do to get them to stop doing it outside of giving them all a lobotomy.

It's the Jimmies and Joes. That will be remedied with time.

Reaction Score
Yup, said the same thing when I was watching the game. They just don't know how to close out games. Some really dumb mistakes and lack of running any offense the last few minutes. Gilbert's pass into the lane from 10 feet above the top off the key? Just a really bad decision. Lots of them from everyone in the last 5 minutes. Very frustrating.

I hate blaming the older players all the time but they are the ones who are supposed to lead you in close games. And they've never been on a winning team so I don't think they know how to win. Maybe it's just inferior talent. I don't know. But I do know they could have beaten Nova today with just a couple better decisions.

Reaction Score
Very disappointing. Still can’t make plays to win tough games. We could have won this very easily but simply shy away from grabbing W. This team is way better than last year’s with nothing to show from it. Hurley is improving the team, but seems to lack the skill to manage guys down the stretch.

Reaction Score
Because we expect to lose close games and the opponent expects to win.

This is now 4 years of losing, that's all some of these guys know.

So how do change the mind to envision what play will I make to win and not what will I do screw this up.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yup, said the same thing when I was watching the game. They just don't know how to close out games. Some really dumb mistakes and lack of running any offense the last few minutes. Gilbert's pass into the lane from 10 feet above the top off the key? Just a really bad decision. Lots of them from everyone in the last 5 minutes. Very frustrating.

I hate blaming the older players all the time but they are the ones who are supposed to lead you in close games. And they've never been on a winning team so I don't think they know how to win. Maybe it's just inferior talent. I don't know. But I do know they could have beaten Nova today with just a couple better decisions.
Didn’t realize Bouknight was an older player. He made critical errors down the stretch when the team had a chance to stretch the lead. He had a horrible game. Thought the refs were great but that third foul on Gilbert when the momentum was all UConn really hurt as well.

Reaction Score
Nova's good coaching showed when they lost the lead. Unlike us they did not panic, reduced their turnovers, did not rush their shots, went to their strengths (especially their muscle) and ran their offense the way it was designed. Their substitutions never seemed to affect their flow.

We looked helter-skelter with no real plan to hold the lead, increase the lead or even keep it even. We also appeared undisciplined.

Oh and Nova had a less experienced line up than us. Not fair to compare Hurley to Jay, but it does show how much further he has to go in player personnel and coaching.

Just saying we got exposed . . . . . . . again.

Reaction Score
Gilbert played a pretty decent game but the decision to throw a one handed no look bullet pass into a crowd to Josh(who isn't known for his hands) on the most important possession of the game is beyond head scratching. I would understand if he was a freshman but my god what a costly brain fart. People who blame Hurley need to look no further than that play to rethink their stance. There are plenty of things our coach can improve on but he can't think for them in the spur of the moment on the floor. I thought he had us ready to play the last 2 games and the kids responded and played hard. We just don't know how to win close games and the turnovers and lack of 3 point shooting make it all the more difficult. 3 point shooting hides a lot of warts. We outplayed them, we outrebounded them, and we shot a higher percentage than them. And they still beat us without an any inside game to speak of. Our team just isn't good enough to have this razor thin a margin for error against a decent team, especially on the road. We almost have to play a perfect game to win and we haven't shown we are capable of that.

Reaction Score
Nova's good coaching showed when they lost the lead. Unlike us they did not panic, reduced their turnovers, did not rush their shots, went to their strengths (especially their muscle) and ran their offense the way it was designed. Their substitutions never seemed to affect their flow.

We looked helter-skelter with no real plan to hold the lead, increase the lead or even keep it even. We also appeared undisciplined.

Oh and Nova had a less experienced line up than us. Not fair to compare Hurley to Jay, but it does show how much further he has to go in player personnel and coaching.

Just saying we got exposed . . . . . . . again.
Nova has winning players who have been conditioned to win, they don't rattle. We're the exact opposite. Don't think it's fair to criticize Hurley today, we outplayed a much better team on the road for 35 minutes. I'm not sure what Hurley can do to stop us from making losing plays at the end of games. He can't pull Gilbert and he's not telling Gilbert to dribble out the shotclock and throw uncatchable no look passes.

Reaction Score
Nova has winning players who have been conditioned to win, they don't rattle. We're the exact opposite. Don't think it's fair to criticize Hurley today, we outplayed a much better team on the road for 35 minutes. I'm not sure what Hurley can do to stop us from making losing plays at the end of games. He can't pull Gilbert and he's not telling Gilbert to dribble out the shotclock and throw uncatchable no look passes.
Bingo.

The losing mentality has infected everyone from the players to the fan base. Easy to say now but I honestly didn't believe we'd win even when we were up 4 coming down to crunch time. Just a matter of waiting for the panic to set in and then watching another frustrating loss unfold in predictable fashion.

Reaction Score
I'll criticize DH today. In the last 5 min we got away from what got us the lead.

Offense shut down, maybe the players were scared of the moment (again).

I'd like DH to make a rule that Bouk has to have the ball in his hands with 10 seconds in the shot clock coming down the stretch.

Reaction Score
Yeah its January but some of that is was correctable. Maybe Hurley is resigned to the realization that his veterans won't change and just has to wait this out. Even Carlton playing like Johnnie Selvie (black hole) won't change.

With his own players, he can shorten the leash, demand full attention and not accepting of poor play or decision making. The Vital, AG and Carlton leash is so long, but perhaps there is nothing Hurley can do outside of humiliating and demoralizing them and then he'll lose recruits.

We I just have to be patient, its too early for great expectations.

Reaction Score
Team gets excited instead of focused. It’s something that ought to be able to be fixed. We are worlds better than two years ago, but need composure down the stretch. No need for exciting plays, just smart plays.

Work smarter not harder.

Reaction Score
I actually think they played their best game of the year here. Including Gilbert. Yeah he turned it over with bad passing in the key plays but he made some good choices and made some nice shots throughout the game. He might be realizing he isn’t kemba. Now the fans need to realize he isn’t kemba. this would be a great time to play a team they could crush and gain confidence in. Too bad we have a road game against a very solid team next. I guess there will be some more growing pains a long the way.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'll criticize DH today. In the last 5 min we got away from what got us the lead.

I'd like DH to make a rule that Bouk has to have the ball in his hands with 10 seconds in the shot clock coming down the stretch.

I think Bouk is going to be a star...but did you watch him play today? He was not very good. Gilbert is the one who needed the ball in his hands. One dumb pass aside, he was great today. Unfortunately that dumb pass may have cost us the game.

Reaction Score

Me too just not right now.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Bad teams lose games this way. It's a hallmark. Good teams don't. With more good personnel, we'll win games like this.

Reaction Score
We finished vs Florida and basically finished against Xavier (miracle 3). Better teams at home win close games, Nova is better.

If anything, we kept it close by playing hard and staying mentally tough on the road, two common complaints made by this board.

Clear progress from year 1 to year 2. We’re on the right path, just gotta be patient.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think Bouk is going to be a star...but did you watch him play today? He was not very good. Gilbert is the one who needed the ball in his hands. One dumb pass aside, he was great today. Unfortunately that dumb pass may have cost us the game.

Bouk sucked today. He's a frosh. Is what it is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom