Always finding a way to lose | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Always finding a way to lose

Reaction Score
Jay Wright after the game:
“You can just see the growth in UConn from playing them last year to this year. ... [Hurley] is just in a process of building his own culture. They’re going to be really good."

But yeah some of you know better than him. So I’ll take your word for it.

Reaction Score
“You can just see the growth in UConn from playing them last year to this year. ... [Hurley] is just in a process of building his own culture. They’re going to be really good."

Nelson knows more about basketball than Jay Wright.

Reaction Score
We've shown we can play with anybody but we've shown we are completely incapable of making winning plays when it matters. We just ourplayed the #14 team on the road for 35 minutes in a building they never lose in but we all knew we would make the losing plays down the stretch and lose. I don't understand how they keep doing it over and over and over but I know it's always going to happen. I don't know what Hurley can do to get them to stop doing it outside of giving them all a lobotomy.

When you have good guards, you win close games.

When you do not have good guards, you lose close games.

It's that simple. Nothing else needs to be discussed.

Reaction Score

I do believe he is building a culture, Jay Wright will give praise to any team though, doesn’t matter what anyone says though at the end of the day we still lost.

Reaction Score
This.

We’re asking players with hard ceilings to do things they can’t do late in thsee games. When we have players who can do those things, we’ll win.

I totally agree. Gilbert does crazy things late in games. I love Vital. He plays so hard. The reality is that neither Gilbert or Vital are at the level of our go-to guys of yesteryear. I really hope that they can get to the NIT for Vital's sake. I would hate to see him leave without any postseason action.

Reaction Score
Hurley said at the beginning of the year his expectation in season 2 is game results with a win or an excruciating loss. We def have our share of those. We are still climbing and I believe UConn will get there. I think next year and the year after are gonna be fun

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I'll criticize DH today. In the last 5 min we got away from what got us the lead.

Offense shut down, maybe the players were scared of the moment (again).

I'd like DH to make a rule that Bouk has to have the ball in his hands with 10 seconds in the shot clock coming down the stretch.
Why Bouk didn't have a stellar performance today

Reaction Score
I have realistic expectations but Scoe has his own set of rules win and he will reward you with credit, lose and he won’t reward you with credit. Did the KO lead teams not give any effort I don’t think so everyone’s gives effort. Hurley is getting defended here because we all have hope (myself included) that he will turn it around as our current HC I have faith that he will but I’m not gonna give him any praise until he clinches a winning season, im sticking with my policy.

Notice I’m not going on a rant here, we all want the same thing I’m just gonna take a wait and see approach before I praise him.

Reaction Score
Moral wins don't show up in the standings. They have to learn how to win. They shouldn't expect credit until they win. Thats how sports go.

If your one and only concern is making the tournament this year you are correct. If you are concerned with where we are and where we are going as a program you are incorrect.

We've lost several winnable games because we couldn't make a few plays down the stretch, and those games are probably going to have us either in the NIT or not playing in the postseason at all instead of playing in the tournament and that is frustrating

We've also shown a lot of growth from previous years and look to be heading in the right direction and that's encouraging.

Both those things can be true.

Reaction Score

I agree with Jay but take it easy on calling people on based on his post game comments. What's he going to do, come out and trash Hurley? This team will hopefully get there but it's time for the board to admit that Hurley needs to improve on a few things as well for our move to the BE next year

Reaction Score
Today showed that we lack the offensive talent to win a game like this.........I don’t think it was too much X’s and O’s Or lack of coaching......when the game hogs down in the final minutes we just don’t have the quality of personnel to get those tough buckets at this time

Reaction Score
27 point difference in threes, 2-15 versus 11-23. UCONN was 3-3 the entire game at the foul line; Villanova was 12-16. No way to beat a good team with that disparity. Nine turnovers between Vital and Gilbert. How were we even in the game?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Cable was out. Turned on the game it was 48 43 good guys. Then...POW. The players are good, not great. They haven't found someone who can step up. Either not there or not developed. Take your pick. There are still a few games they should have won......I ain't got many years left. At this point I expected significant improvement. Sigh.
I sure would like it too.

Reaction Score
Progress. The same is true that was true after Wichita, Indiana, and Xavier. We just aren’t ready yet. But we’re getting there. The losses we need to eradicate are the st Joes, Cincy, and south Florida losses. We win the games we’re supposed to win and we’ll be fine. They’ve played two Really good teams in a row and gave two amazing efforts. If we can bottle these last 2 games and repeat them we’ll be playing postseason basketball. Progress isn’t a linear line. We’re on our way

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
No, I don't understand it. I've never seen a team that is so consistent at losing games they should win. It's gone on for 4 years with this group. We're better overall now than we have beem but the record will look the same because we have an incredibly unique ability of making losing plays when it matters.

They played hard and played well but we all knew they were going to lose when we had a 6 point lead heading into winning time. That speaks to an incredible lack of mental toughness with this group. You'll probably blame it on the mental toughness of the fanbase.
OK, I believe that you don't understand.

I don't blame it on the mental toughness of the fan base, though perhaps a lack of mental toughness leads undefended fans to year after year make unforced errors and reveal human weaknesses, myself included.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Progress. The same is true that was true after Wichita, Indiana, and Xavier. We just aren’t ready yet. But we’re getting there. The losses we need to eradicate are the st Joes, Cincy, and south Florida losses. We win the games we’re supposed to win and we’ll be fine. They’ve played two Really good teams in a row and gave two amazing efforts. If we can bottle these last 2 games and repeat them we’ll be playing postseason basketball. Progress isn’t a linear line. We’re on our way
I hope you are right.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Progress from the worst seasons in school history. Hooray. They’re playing hard. Hooray. I’m over the moral victory crap. We should do a boneyard horse shoe tournament.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I have realistic expectations but Scoe has his own set of rules win and he will reward you with credit, lose and he won’t reward you with credit. Did the KO lead teams not give any effort I don’t think so everyone’s gives effort. Hurley is getting defended here because we all have hope (myself included) that he will turn it around as our current HC I have faith that he will but I’m not gonna give him any praise until he clinches a winning season, im sticking with my policy.

Notice I’m not going on a rant here, we all want the same thing I’m just gonna take a wait and see approach before I praise him.
Scoe dipping his toes into the third-person self-reference.

Deserves a Participation Trophy AND another Gold Star for principles

Reaction Score
Progress from the worst seasons in school history. Hooray. They’re playing hard. Hooray. I’m over the moral victory crap. We should do a boneyard horse shoe tournament.
What’d you expect? I didn’t say anything about a “moral victory”. What I am acknowledging is that we’re clearly headed in the right direction. Excellence takes time. Hurley, the players, fans, nor myself are satisfied with a good effort. But reality is reality. We’ve gone toe to toe with some really good teams this year. That hasn’t been the case the last 5 years. It counts for something. It shows progress. Imo NIT is a must this season. And if we bring the same game we brung against Wichita and Nova we won’t be talking about moral victories

Reaction Score
I agree with Jay but take it easy on calling people on based on his post game comments. What's he going to do, come out and trash Hurley? This team will hopefully get there but it's time for the board to admit that Hurley needs to improve on a few things as well for our move to the BE next year
Who has disagreed with Hurley needing to get better at some things? You created that in your head. People just aren’t attacking him to your liking

Reaction Score
Imo NIT is a must this season. And if we bring the same game we brung against Wichita and Nova we won’t be talking about moral victories
We probably aren't making the NIT, so what happens when we don't?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom