Always finding a way to lose | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Always finding a way to lose

Reaction Score
I actually think they played their best game of the year here. Including Gilbert. Yeah he turned it over with bad passing in the key plays but he made some good choices and made some nice shots throughout the game. He might be realizing he isn’t kemba. Now the fans need to realize he isn’t kemba. this would be a great time to play a team they could crush and gain confidence in. Too bad we have a road game against a very solid team next. I guess there will be some more growing pains a long the way.
It seems like Gilbert played really well but then you look at what he did down the stretch and you look at the numbers and it's sad that seems to be about the best we can get out of him.

Reaction Score
I highly doubt Hurley has climbed the ladder in the coaching ranks as far as he has by deliberately teaching an offensive philosophy that involves running a stagnant offense that has players mostly staying 20ft from the hoops, deliberately setting weak, purposeless, fundamentally poor screens, clogging up areas of the floor with too many players in a 15ft radius, etc, etc. I’ve never seen a Hurley UCONN practice but I’d be shocked if that’s what they are spending hours working on.

yet, that’s what I saw the team do pretty much every possession going down the stretch in crunch time.

It’s so sad and frustrating.

Reaction Score
Plus, it came down to a couple made threes and a couple missed threes. That's all.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Losers lose and winners win, its why I say effort is for losers, production is for winners.
Seriously. No more good effort threads. I’m past the point of being able okay with these whiffs.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'll criticize DH today. In the last 5 min we got away from what got us the lead.

Offense shut down, maybe the players were scared of the moment (again).

I'd like DH to make a rule that Bouk has to have the ball in his hands with 10 seconds in the shot clock coming down the stretch.
What did Bouknight do in this game to offer this suggestion?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We've shown we can play with anybody but we've shown we are completely incapable of making winning plays when it matters. We just ourplayed the #14 team on the road for 35 minutes in a building they never lose in but we all knew we would make the losing plays down the stretch and lose. I don't understand how they keep doing it over and over and over but I know it's always going to happen. I don't know what Hurley can do to get them to stop doing it outside of giving them all a lobotomy.
Lighten up. You knew they'd do it, AND they played better and with a better score than was almost universally expected. That means that you're definitely right AND you're milking it.

They haven't gotten over the hurdle yet. It sucks. But wingeing and saying you "don't understand?" Sure you do.

It's the Jimmies and Joes. That will be remedied with time.

I don't know what this phrase means, but that doesn't stop me from guessing that it's right on the money.

Samuels and Robinson-Earl made seriously big time plays; nobody's mentioned that. And
Gillespie was allowed to pushoff every single play.

Gilbert threw a very ill-advised no look pass.

When the error-margin is zero, that's enough.

I think Nova won more than UConn lost.

Reaction Score
Didn’t realize Bouknight was an older player. He made critical errors down the stretch when the team had a chance to stretch the lead. He had a horrible game. Thought the refs were great but that third foul on Gilbert when the momentum was all UConn really hurt as well.
Great refs? Don’t remember 1 call for pushoffs. They did it against Gilbert all day.

Reaction Score
It would be really nice if we had a kid like Myles Powell to help close games - wonder what his dream school was?

Reaction Score
Nova went zone the last 3-4 mins. That was the difference. We have no shooters. They do. That was the difference. Instead of driving, they forced us to try and shoot, and it required AG to try and go hero ball.

Reaction Score
I think Bouk is going to be a star...but did you watch him play today? He was not very good. Gilbert is the one who needed the ball in his hands. One dumb pass aside, he was great today. Unfortunately that dumb pass may have cost us the game.
Gilbert was ok, and actually made a few midrange and runners... but please, no more drives all the way to the basket. Made 1, but at least 2 more ended up in Nova’s hands. Game after game.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Great refs? Don’t remember 1 call for pushoffs. They did it against Gilbert all day.
It’s the BE. Letting the players play. It’s one of the things I’ve missed. Hate the constant stoppage of play and the softness of the AAC reffing.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Yup, said the same thing when I was watching the game. They just don't know how to close out games. Some really dumb mistakes and lack of running any offense the last few minutes. Gilbert's pass into the lane from 10 feet above the top off the key? Just a really bad decision. Lots of them from everyone in the last 5 minutes. Very frustrating.

I hate blaming the older players all the time but they are the ones who are supposed to lead you in close gam Thises. And they've never been on a winning team so I don't think they know how to win. Maybe it's just inferior talent. I don't know. But I do know they could have beaten Nova today with just a couple better decisions.
I was waiting to see if any poster was going to mention the Gilbert pass. Absolutely stupid play. Especially at a time when we still feeling it. A score on that play would of put Nova against the wall down 5? This is not new for him.

Reaction Score
Effort and close road losses against good teams are predictors of future success. Grading solely on wins or losses is ignorant.
Moral wins don't show up in the standings. They have to learn how to win. They shouldn't expect credit until they win. Thats how sports go.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Seriously. No more good effort threads. I’m past the point of being able okay with these whiffs.
I liked watching the game more than reading @Scoe's post and your endorsement. So there's that.

They did better than you thought they would, right?

If so, it's like you (and others) are double-dipping bad energy.

And you don't know any other way. And you pretty much complain that the basketball team does what they do and don't know any other way. And you can't see it, so you give yourself a pass and adamantly refuse anything of the sort elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Lighten up. You knew they'd do it, AND they played better and with a better score than was almost universally expected. That means that you're definitely right AND you're milking it.

They haven't gotten over the hurdle yet. It sucks. But wingeing and saying you "don't understand?" Sure you do.

I don't know what this phrase means, but that doesn't stop me from guessing that it's right on the money.

Samuels and Robinson-Earl made seriously big time plays; nobody's mentioned that. And

Cable was out. Turned on the game it was 48 43 good guys. Then...POW. The players are good, not great. They haven't found someone who can step up. Either not there or not developed. Take your pick. There are still a few games they should have won......I ain't got many years left. At this point I expected significant improvement. Sigh.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Gilbert was ok, and actually made a few midrange and runners... but please, no more drives all the way to the basket. Made 1, but at least 2 more ended up in Nova’s hands. Game after game.
It’s what a point guard needs to do.

Big momentum changer was the miscommunication between Sid and Al that resulted in a turnover. It was great playmaking that failed. Sid was going for an alley oop but AG was passing to a cutting player. These bang bang turnovers are far Better than passive dribbling on the perimeter.

Just prior Al drove to the basket on a Nova turnover and threw the ball to a driving CV for a basket. Another time he drove and kicked out to a wide open Brendan who missed a 3 pt shot. Same with Bouknight.

Al was not the problem this game. Their freshmen were better than our freshman, they couldn’t miss threes and we couldn’t make them. Outplayed them in every other aspect of the game except turnovers.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I liked watching the game more than reading @Scoe's post and your endorsement. So there's that.

And you don't know any other way. And you pretty much complain that the basketball team does what they do and don't know any other way. And you can't see it, so you give yourself a pass and adamantly refuse anything of the sort elsewhere.
You always seem to come right after me and my posts. Kind of annoying. This game could have gone one of two ways- we lose 90-65 or exactly how it went today. Considering you reply to most of my posts you can probably find one where I said that. They didn't play better than I thought. They played one of two possible ways.

Reaction Score

No, I don't understand it. I've never seen a team that is so consistent at losing games they should win. It's gone on for 4 years with this group. We're better overall now than we have beem but the record will look the same because we have an incredibly unique ability of making losing plays when it matters.

They played hard and played well but we all knew they were going to lose when we had a 6 point lead heading into winning time. That speaks to an incredible lack of mental toughness with this group. You'll probably blame it on the mental toughness of the fanbase.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Effort and close road losses against good teams are predictors of future success. Grading solely on wins or losses is ignorant.
1579378804013.gif

Reaction Score

Did we win?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom