Alterique | The Boneyard

Alterique

Reaction Score
He really put us on his back to make it a game at the end. Maybe this second half was a bit of a turning point for him? He's been ok so far this year but it's tough to work back into game action after 2 years off, and he's capable of more than he's shown.

At the end of the day this is going to have to be his team.

Reaction Score
I think he's really coming around the last two games after that disaster game. Tonight was chaotic overall, but Laf he showed he can drop dimes and tonight he showed he can wet nets again.

Reaction Score
I've loved Adams over the years. I always expected him to come around and become a dominant player. He's shown flashes. But thats still all it is. Now he's a senior and he's still kinda careless with the ball and today he was extra bad at finishing (and even shooting at times).

Gilbert only has about 19 games under his belt so hopefully the sky is the limit for him under Hurley.

Reaction Score
I love Jalen. He has a lot of talent, and unfortunately he never seemed to reach his potential. Still a lot of season left.

However, Alterique has the “it” factor, and Jalen not so much. Both are very talented, but I’m excited for when Alterique leads the team next year. In fact I think Alterique may be the best player in the team before the end of the season. That’s good for the future of this program.

Reaction Score
Alterique has all the tools to be great. His biggest area for development is decision making and that will come with experience and maturity. I love the tought of him after a full season and another summer. He is going to be great and I really like the backcourt of Gilbert and Bouknight.

Reaction Score
Gilbert is a greater leader than Adams for sure
Can be even half as good as Kemba/Shabazz were in that role? Hopefully. McDonald's All-American who's HS tape was really good. Missed two years with shoulder injuries, meanwhile the #1 overall pick 2 years ago can't even make free throws with phantom shoulder woes. I think he will be just fine.

Reaction Score
I've loved Adams over the years. I always expected him to come around and become a dominant player. He's shown flashes. But thats still all it is. Now he's a senior and he's still kinda careless with the ball and today he was extra bad at finishing (and even shooting at times).

Gilbert only has about 19 games under his belt so hopefully the sky is the limit for him under Hurley.
Jalen has a lot of natural talent but not nearly enough athleticism or dog in him to overcome all of his flaws. The only thing that has kept Alterique back is his shoulder, he will be a lot better than Jalen.

We will be a much better team next year with Alterique leading a more talented group.

Reaction Score
Alterique may end up being the best shooter at the PG position that UConn has ever had. He is now 19 for 43 on 3 pointers this season, 44.2%, and some of those tonight were contested. Once he learns to not take those shots in the lane against those big men, his 2 pt percentage will also rise. His improvement this year has been remarkable.

Reaction Score
Can be even half as good as Kemba/Shabazz were in that role? Hopefully. McDonald's All-American who's HS tape was really good. Missed two years with shoulder injuries, meanwhile the #1 overall pick 2 years ago can't even make free throws with phantom shoulder woes. I think he will be just fine.
Tos isn't a phantom shoulder injury. It's terrible where you lose feeling in your arm and hands from as little as a minute to 1/2 hour or more. I don't know anyone who can shoot with loss of feeling in their arm and hand.

pj

Reaction Score
Tos isn't a phantom shoulder injury. It's terrible where you lose feeling in your arm and hands from as little as a minute to 1/2 hour or more. I don't know anyone who can shoot with loss of feeling in their arm and hand.

Thoracic outlet syndrome can be debilitating, but it is easily fixed. It's an embarrassing problem for a professional athlete to have.

Reaction Score
Jalen has a lot of natural talent but not nearly enough athleticism or dog in him to overcome all of his flaws. The only thing that has kept Alterique back is his shoulder, he will be a lot better than Jalen.

We will be a much better team next year with Alterique leading a more talented group.
It's unfortunate that Jalen hasn't been able to reduce his flaws during his first 3 years. Because guys like Shabazz Napier would kill for his athleticism.

Reaction Score
Kid puts his head down and plays hard the entire game. He is my definition of a quiet leader. Doesn't need to say anything but leads by example.

Reaction Score
Alterique reminds me of freshman year Kemba. Some bad decisions at times, and he's going to have his bad nights but it's clear he has a ton of talent.

Bingo. Not saying he will be Kemba probably not but this is spot on. He did everything possible to keep us in it yesterday and that was impressive.

pj

Reaction Score
Someone get this guy in touch with Fultz’s agent!

Not me, but these guys would be a good start: PRI | Home

TOS is basically a combination of imbalanced muscles -- some over strong, some over weak -- pulling bones into bad positions that compress nerves and blood flow, along with faulty neurological training / neuromuscular "mental maps" that habitually maintain the body/skeleton/muscles in those faulty postures. One needs to retrain the brain to correct the neural maps, and correct one's strength and conditioning program to balance the musculature.

A contributor to TOS would be doing pushing exercises (e.g. bench press) but not pulling (e.g. row). Any pulling/row, done with good form, will tend to pull the shoulder into better position and will help correct the problem.

But the brain's mental maps of the musculature are crucial. I've seen these conditions of faulty positioning get corrected in 30 minutes by showing the brain that other positions are feasible. The athlete will then fall back into old habits and within a few days the problem returns, but if he practices exercises regularly to develop new habits and mental maps, the condition will stay away, and eventually he won't have to do the exercises any more.

Certain martial arts, e.g. tai chi, incorporate a lot of slow movement because these are useful for re-training and optimizing the brain's neuromuscular maps. A lot of knowledge has come together in recent decades around these issues, and there are hundreds of good trainers who could help Fultz in a matter of days.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Alterique may end up being the best shooter at the PG position that UConn has ever had. He is now 19 for 43 on 3 pointers this season, 44.2%, and some of those tonight were contested. Once he learns to not take those shots in the lane against those big men, his 2 pt percentage will also rise. His improvement this year has been remarkable.
Alterique worked on his 3 point shooting. Jalen either didn’t or failed at it.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Thoracic outlet syndrome can be debilitating, but it is easily fixed. It's an embarrassing problem for a professional athlete to have.
It’s not actually that easily fixed. It’s also a little bit of an unusual problem that is tough to even diagnose.

pj

Reaction Score
It’s not actually that easily fixed. It’s also a little bit of an unusual problem that is tough to even diagnose.

I agree that most trainers and doctors don't know how to diagnose it, or to treat it. But with the right expertise, it is conceptually easy to fix. The patient has to do the right work under proper guidance, that's all. How long it takes to fix will depend on individual circumstances, but I've been surprised by how fast cures can come with neuromuscular retraining.

Check out this video starting at 9 minutes for background on the importance of mental maps:

Fixing TOS is conceptually similar to retraining the brain to get rid of phantom pain in amputees. Another situation most doctors have no idea how to treat, but the fix is conceptually simple and can be made quickly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom