Alltime Uconn starting lineup | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Alltime Uconn starting lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was and still am a big time Marcus Williams Fan. with the careers that Kemba and Shabazz had combined with the 2006 team not advancing past the elite 8, its easy to see why hes taken a back seat at the PG position. but he did it all for that team, scoring and incredible play making. With him being the only true ball handler/playmaker, it was an awfully heavy burden for him to carry. With a healthy A.J. Price that year, perhaps Marcus is viewed differently now, but Since he was playing on a ball handling flawed team, he's not viewed as highly.

Reaction Score
We'll just disagree on this. His 1996 team played at a fast pace (averaged 82.6 ppg), and yet held opponents to only 64.7 ppg--good for 33rd in the nation...not adjusting for pace. The team could play D, and that meant some of it fell on Ray. Was he a star on D? No.

But he averaged 23.4 ppg while shooting 47% from the field, and 46% from 3. Also, add in that he averaged 6.5 rebounds per game (second on the team) and 3.5 apg, despite playing next to Doron Sheffer. He was also second on the team in steals, right behind Sheffer. So he was first or second on the team in all those categories. That season is unreal.

He did have a better individual season than Shabazz...but I'll give Shabazz the better career with 2 titles to go with the first team AA.

you can't compare bazz and rays stats head up because 1995, 1996 teams were running teams, fast break teams which resulted in more possessions more rebounds more assists and so on,this years team used 20 seconds of the clock before even trying to make a play. Again Bazz lead the team in everything not because he was the tallest or the most athletic or fastest he lead in everything because the extra rebound he got was crucial that extra steal was crucial he had to lead by example and that meant doing everything better then everybody else not just in our team but whoever we were playing.

bazz avg
18.0 PPG, 5.9 RPG, 4.9 APG
ray avg
23.4 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 3.3 APG

bazz took 12 shots per game ray took 18 shots per game, you and i both know that if bazz took 18 shots like ray he would average what ray did.

Reaction Score
you can't compare bazz and rays stats head up because 1995, 1996 teams were running teams, fast break teams which resulted in more possessions more rebounds more assists and so on,this years team used 20 seconds of the clock before even trying to make a play. Again Bazz lead the team in everything not because he was the tallest or the most athletic or fastest he lead in everything because the extra rebound he got was crucial that extra steal was crucial he had to lead by example and that meant doing everything better then everybody else not just in our team but whoever we were playing.

bazz avg
18.0 PPG, 5.9 RPG, 4.9 APG
ray avg
23.4 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 3.3 APG

bazz took 12 shots per game ray took 18 shots per game, you and i both know that if bazz took 18 shots like ray he would average what ray did.
Well, considering Ray shot 47% from the field, and 46% from 3, compared to Shabazz's 43% and 40.5%, and not entirely convinced. He likely would, because he got to the line 238 times compared to Ray's 147...but remember that when you are fouled, it takes away a shot attempt. In all likelihood, they're actual attempts were a little closer (Shabazz averaged about 6 FTs per game, to Ray's 4).

I get your point on pacing. I even acknowledged it (becuase it cuts both ways) when looking at the defense. The other thing to keep in mind is that Ray averaged that many rebounds despite having someone on the team average 9.5 rpg. And Ray's job was to score, not to distribute, so it is no surprise that Shabazz averaged more assists, although Ray was second on the team.

Ray is the best player that UConn has produced. His NBA succeses are thus far unparalelled. And no one on this team will match it...the only player out there right now who might be a HOFer in the same category is Drummond...but he is far away from that at the moment.

I think Ray had two better college seasons than Shabazz's best--which is no discredit, in my opinion, to Shabazz's greatness. If I'm making a team to play a game, I can't leave off Ray Allen. His team didn't win a title, but that wasn't because of him. He was just unreal in college.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
As great as Ray was, in my opinion, he has to take a back seat to 4 Final Four MOP's. If you want to play a 2006 Nova 4 guard lineup, by all means put him out there. But it would be disrespectful to the legacy of four of the best players to ever play for this program. At the end of the day, it's about winning and unfortunately Ray doesn't have a solid argument when he's compared to 4 Final Four MOP's.

Reaction Score
Well, considering Ray shot 47% from the field, and 46% from 3, compared to Shabazz's 43% and 40.5%, and not entirely convinced. He likely would, because he got to the line 238 times compared to Ray's 147...but remember that when you are fouled, it takes away a shot attempt. In all likelihood, they're actual attempts were a little closer (Shabazz averaged about 6 FTs per game, to Ray's 4).

I get your point on pacing. I even acknowledged it (becuase it cuts both ways) when looking at the defense. The other thing to keep in mind is that Ray averaged that many rebounds despite having someone on the team average 9.5 rpg. And Ray's job was to score, not to distribute, so it is no surprise that Shabazz averaged more assists, although Ray was second on the team.

Ray is the best player that UConn has produced. His NBA succeses are thus far unparalelled. And no one on this team will match it...the only player out there right now who might be a HOFer in the same category is Drummond...but he is far away from that at the moment.

I think Ray had two better college seasons than Shabazz's best--which is no discredit, in my opinion, to Shabazz's greatness. If I'm making a team to play a game, I can't leave off Ray Allen. His team didn't win a title, but that wasn't because of him. He was just unreal in college.

lol Of all your post this has to be the only one I will never agree with, I said if Bazz took 6 more shots per game he would avg ray's PPG lets break it down 47%-46%? form the field at 6'5 and super athletic he dunked the ball more often then probably this year team combined. Bazz shoots the 3 ball at 40% so from the extra 6 shots ray took Bazz would only need to shoot it at 33% from 3 in other words he would only need to make 2 of those 6 baskets to avg Ray's PPG.

lets round the numbers, whats more impressive a 6'5 guy grabbing 7 boards or a 6'0 guy grabbing 6?

Bazz would avg atleast 1 or 2 more rebounds "if" Nolan knew how to finish "if" Brimah knew how to catch the ball "if" there were more possessions or opportunities to run more sets.

Now this is what you said "Ray's job was to score, not to distribute, so it is no surprise that Shabazz averaged more assists, although Ray was second on the team." lol

Shabazz Napier job was to do everything EVERYTHING and guess what he lead the team in pretty much everything. lol

And lead the team to championship, no need to bring up what Ray did or is doing in the NBA, you comparing apples and oranges there.

Reaction Score
I was and still am a big time Marcus Williams Fan. with the careers that Kemba and Shabazz had combined with the 2006 team not advancing past the elite 8, its easy to see why hes taken a back seat at the PG position. but he did it all for that team, scoring and incredible play making. With him being the only true ball handler/playmaker, it was an awfully heavy burden for him to carry. With a healthy A.J. Price that year, perhaps Marcus is viewed differently now, but Since he was playing on a ball handling flawed team, he's not viewed as highly.

I love Marcus Williams that dude was a baller best pure point guard UConn ever had, Marcus Williams went trough the same thing Shabazz Napier went trough in 2012 with the chemistry issue on the team.

Reaction Score
lol Of all your post this has to be the only one I will never agree with, I said if Bazz took 6 more shots per game he would avg ray's PPG lets break it down 47%-46%? form the field at 6'5 and super athletic he dunked the ball more often then probably this year team combined. Bazz shoots the 3 ball at 40% so from the extra 6 shots ray took Bazz would only need to shoot it at 33% from 3 in other words he would only need to make 2 of those 6 baskets to avg Ray's PPG.

lets round the numbers, whats more impressive a 6'5 guy grabbing 7 boards or a 6'0 guy grabbing 6?

Bazz would avg atleast 1 or 2 more rebounds "if" Nolan knew how to finish "if" Brimah knew how to catch the ball "if" there were more possessions or opportunities to run more sets.

Now this is what you said "Ray's job was to score, not to distribute, so it is no surprise that Shabazz averaged more assists, although Ray was second on the team." lol

Shabazz Napier job was to do everything EVERYTHING and guess what he lead the team in pretty much everything. lol

And lead the team to championship, no need to bring up what Ray did or is doing in the NBA, you comparing apples and oranges there.
You disagree. I get it. I think Ray had an unbelievable season in 1996. The teams they played against were also, to be fair, better. Players stayed in college longer then, and college basketball was much more talented. That Kentucky team in 1996 would steamroll every single team in 2014's tournament. And it's not even close.

So I love Shabazz, and his career is the best ever at UConn. But give me Ray Allen's 1996 season (or Kemba's 2011, or Donyell's 1994, or Okafor's 2004).

Reasonable minds can disagree on this.

Reaction Score
Bazz has to be at the top of the list with Emeka. Kemba, Rip have to be part since winning NC is paramount. My 5th player would be Donyell. However the first four s/b set in stone.

Reaction Score
Bazz has to be at the top of the list with Emeka. Kemba, Rip have to be part since winning NC is paramount. My 5th player would be Donyell. However the first four s/b set in stone.
Those are obviously the best 4 careers. And it's not even close. I'd pick Ray over Donyell, because he had two great years (2nd team AA and 1st team AA) as opposed to one.

NotADimeBack

Give me my avi back
Reaction Score
Based on since I've followed uconn basketball
1st team
Bazz
Kemba
El Amin
Rip
Okafor

2nd team
Boatright
Taliek
B.Gordon
Ray
Caron

3rd team
M.Williams
Price
Rudy
Adrien
Thabeet

4th team
R.Moore
J.Lamb
Giffey

DD
Jake

5th team
J.Dyson
R.Anderson
S.Robinson
K.Freeman
Boone

6th team
TSam
D.Brown
T.Robertson
Charlie v
H.Armstrong

7th Team
A.Mouring
G.Edwards
R.Smith
A.Oriahki
Drummond

8th team
D.Beverly
R.Jones
E.Saunders
Ed Nelson
A.Brimah

thoughts?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If we're talking about all time greats, these guys need to be on that team.

Stellar, absolutely stellar. It's funny, too... I've seen some of these lists that make me scratch my head. How do you NOT start with the guys who were Final Four MOP. There are four - Rip, Emeka, Kemba, and Shabazz. Period. The best all time has to start with these guys, and, frankly, has to include the next best guy ever, a 2 year first team all american - Ray Allen.

Simple. Yeah, its a 3 guard, 1 wing, 1 F/C lineup, but so be it. The UConn all time team: Ray, Rip, Emeka, Kemba, and Shabazz.

And you really do have to give more consideration to the 2009 team that, WITH Jerome Dyson was the best team in the country and it really wasn't close. If Dyson stays healthy, that team should have won it all and then AJ Price, Jeff Adrien, Stanley Robinson, and Thabeet all get that much more consideration. And for as good as that team was at getting up and down the floor, when it came down to half court offense, it started and ended with AJ Price.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
NO AJP in any of this? I think he's 3rd… just behind Kemba and Bazz and a notch above KEA. Might have been the all time greatest had he not had the medical and legal setbacks.

AJP over KEA is wrong on so many levels.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Based on since I've followed uconn basketball (96')
1st team
Bazz
Kemba
El Amin
Rip
Okafor

2nd team
Boatright
Taliek
B.Gordon
Ray
Caron

3rd team
M.Williams
Price
Rudy
Adrien
Thabeet

4th team
R.Moore
J.Lamb
Giffey

DD
Jake

5th team
T Sam
D.Brown

R.Anderson
K.Freeman
Boone

6th team
J.Dyson
T.Robertson
S.Robinson
Charlie v
H.Armstrong

7th Team
A.Mouring
G.Edwards
R.Smith
A.Oriahki
Drummond

thoughts?

I think you weight too much towards the later years. You have Samuel already on a team but leave off Doron Sheffer (96), Rash Jones, (96-99) and Kirk King (96-97) the list? How about Ed Nelson and Edmond Saunders? I'd put both up there over Gavin Edwards. And Williams was a better point guard than Boatright, and Mouring was much better off the bench than Samuel (so far).

NotADimeBack

Give me my avi back
Reaction Score
I think you weight too much towards the later years. You have Samuel already on a team but leave off Doron Sheffer (96), Rash Jones, (96-99) and Kirk King (96-97) the list? How about Ed Nelson and Edmond Saunders? I'd put both up there over Gavin Edwards. And Williams was a better point guard than Boatright, and Mouring was much better off the bench than Samuel (so far).

Boat if he stays > williams. Thought about ed n ed; both won championships if i remember right
but g.edwards to me had more wide range skill; he could shoot, defend, rebound
rashad jones was a tough player; shef & king are before my time tbh I've seen others play all 4 years

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Pg: Napier-KEA-Brown
Sg: walker-Gordon-Moore
Sf: Allen-Hamilton-Caron
Pf: Marshall-Robinson-Adrian
C: Okafor-Thabeet-Drummond

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
At the very least I personally would absolutely include Rash over Mouring and/or Robertson, but that is getting down into 5th, 6th, 7th team.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Pg: Napier-KEA-Brown
Sg: walker-Gordon-Moore
Sf: Allen-Hamilton-Caron
Pf: Marshall-Robinson-Adrian
C: Okafor-Thabeet-Drummond
Here's what I like about this one: after each position is listed, I can close my eyes, construct a mental picture & go "WOW, I saw that guy play across the span of his formative career, in a team setting." That's the most special sports fan experience I've eve had. I don't mind one bit that I don't have a top 5 to offer, though the 4 Champion MOPs guarantee that any second team is gonna be pretty great.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Caron's 2002 team went 27-6 and won the Big East. That team was the weakest Final 8 team UConn has had BY FAR. Selvie was the second best player on that squad. Okafor was a completely one dimensional player, Gordon was still Gentle Ben, and Taliek was still learning how to play the point, to put it mildly. We were a couple of calls and a Blake 3 from going to the Final 4. It was an amazing, season long performance by Butler.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
NotADimeBack said:
Based on since I've followed uconn basketball 1st team Bazz Kemba El Amin Rip Okafor 2nd team Boatright Taliek B.Gordon Ray Caron 3rd team M.Williams Price Rudy Adrien Thabeet 4th team R.Moore J.Lamb Giffey DD Jake 5th team J.Dyson R.Anderson S.Robinson K.Freeman Boone 6th team TSam D.Brown T.Robertson Charlie v H.Armstrong 7th Team A.Mouring G.Edwards R.Smith A.Oriahki Drummond 8th team D.Beverly R.Jones E.Saunders Ed Nelson A.Brimah thoughts?

Not having donyell Marshall anywhere on first 8 teams nullify's all selections.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Caron's 2002 team went 27-6 and won the Big East. That team was the weakest Final 8 team UConn has had BY FAR. Selvie was the second best player on that squad. Okafor was a completely one dimensional player, Gordon was still Gentle Ben, and Taliek was still learning how to play the point, to put it mildly. We were a couple of calls and a Blake 3 from going to the Final 4. It was an amazing, season long performance by Butler.

This isn't quite so. That team beat a very highly ranked Arizona team on the road and Butler wasn't a standout. It was a team effort, five players scored in double figures, IIRC. And Butler wasn't all world all season. I distinctly remember a switch turning on in his game after the first of the year.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
. I distinctly remember a switch turning on in his game after the first of the year.
I remember it a bit later even, when his outside shot started dropping and he seemed then to be the best player in college basketball and an utter joy to behold. There have been other players with identifiable 'switch ON' moments. It's one of my favorite fan delights.

Reaction Score
This isn't quite so. That team beat a very highly ranked Arizona team on the road and Butler wasn't a standout. It was a team effort, five players scored in double figures, IIRC. And Butler wasn't all world all season. I distinctly remember a switch turning on in his game after the first of the year.
I would guess you are remembering back to the embarrassing home loss to the Bonnies that year. Had to find the box score to confirm it since the score shows it was close, but it really wasn't. UConn was down 14 at the half, though Butler ended up with 24 pts and 13 boards and was 11-18 from the floor. Two games prior, Butler had just 13 pts at UMass and shot 3-12, so your memory is pretty accurate, generally.

Reaction Score
My take on this list... I'm open to suggestions. I've been adjusting the list all day. First two teams are fairly set, I think. If you think someone should move up, just tell me who they replace and why. Did I miss anyone ? Hard to keep them all straight. For a while I had Rashad missing. Fairly serious oversight! The way I did it was to list out the best teams, and each player on each team, then go from there. I stopped at Sixth Team because it started to get really subjective at that point and much less about accomplishments and team success.

First Team All Husky
Shabazz Napier
Kemba Walker
Emeka Okafor
Ray Allen
Rip Hamilton

Second Team All Husky
Ben Gordon
Khalid El Amin
Cliff Robinson
Donyell Marshall
Caron Butler

Third Team All Husky
Rudy Gay
Jeff Adrien
Chris Smith
Ryan Boatright
Ricky Moore

Fourth Team All Husky
AJ Price
Kevin Freeman
Jeremy Lamb
Doron Sheffer
Hasheem Thabeet

Fifth Team All Husky
DeAndre Daniels
Donny Marshall
Taliek Brown
Jake Voskuhl
Rashad Anderson

Sixth Team All Husky
Rod Sellers
Al Mouring
Niels Giffey
Tate George
Stanley Robinson

Honorable Mention All Husky
Charlie Villanueva
Jerome Dyson
Nadav Henefeld
John Gwynn
Kevin Ollie
John Selvie
Tony Robertson
Hilton Armstrong
Phil Gamble
Scott Burrell
Torraino Walker
Josh Boone
Rash Jones
Brian Fair
Lyman Depriest
Travis Knight
Marcus Williams
Denham Brown
Alex Oriakhi
Roscoe Smith
Andre Drummond
Kirk King

Last edited:

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
It's incredible we are so stacked that its plausible to put Donyell on the second team. His junior year he averaged 25, 9 and 3 blocks. He was first team all American and finalist for player of the year. It was statistically the best season ever for a Husky but I can see the argument for putting him on the 2nd team.

Reaction Score
It's incredible we are so stacked that its plausible to put Donyell on the second team. His junior year he averaged 25, 9 and 3 blocks. He was first team all American and finalist for player of the year. It was statistically the best season ever for a Husky but I can see the argument for putting him on the 2nd team.

I agree. I just think the people do not have him on the first team are too young to remember him. He was the most dominate husky and did it on both ends of the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom