Allisha Gray Leaving UNC | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Allisha Gray Leaving UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I think the first 10 plus years of the scam/fraud was 100% athletes as they were not classes but independent studies, so each student was in a unique course - the problem was that this raised issues with the Dean and the administration for two reasons - single professors were teaching an unrealistic number of independent studies each semester, and individual students were enrolled in too many independent studies each semester, year, and during their aggregate years at UNC. When the issue was raised around 2000, the department administator then devised the expedient of creating actual 'lecture' courses that followed the same formula as the independent studies courses - no lectures, no meetings, and a single paper. The problem then was that the courses had to be made available to the whole student population and at that point the frat grapevine took over and non-athletes wanting a gut course signed up and could not be excluded.

That agrees 100% with my impression of what happened. But do you have any basis for this other than logical inference? I have not been able to find anything on it.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Dawn is after Gray. Sylvia must feel like the vultures are circling overhead.
If I were her, given her health, I'd seriously consider hanging it up. It could be a long time before the sun shines again on Carmichael Arena.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Dawn is after Gray. Sylvia must feel like the vultures are circling overhead.

If Gray ends up in the SEC.... it will be a darn shame that the SEC's best talents are pretty much ACC's transfers :rolleyes:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If I were her, given her health, I'd seriously consider hanging it up. It could be a long time before the sun shines again on Carmichael Arena.

Sylvia's leukemia is currently in remission. The thing about leukemia is that, unfortunately, the remission won't last forever. I suppose she's trying to spend this time of good health doing what she loves to do and that is coach. I'm sure she didn't foresee this happening to her program and her university. Maybe she will end up retiring in the wake of this but I'm sure right now she's just trying to keep her team and program together as best she can. In addition to all that, I'm sure she's learning who her friends are.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Sylvia's leukemia is currently in remission. The thing about leukemia is that, unfortunately, the remission won't last forever. I suppose she's trying to spend this time of good health doing what she loves to do and that is coach. I'm sure she didn't foresee this happening to her program and her university. Maybe she will end up retiring in the wake of this but I'm sure right now she's just trying to keep her team and program together as best she can. In addition to all that, I'm sure she's learning who her friends are.
Yes, I know her leukemia is in remission. Yes, I know it's likely to come back. And if things really go south now for the university, by the time things are good again, the disease might be back. Hence my comment.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

She's not a victim.

Too bad she's ill
but she's complicit, her program cited and she's in denial
She's appealing personally but she's up to her eyeball in the muck.
Now if she would have stood up for ethics, these many years ago,
then she would be a true hero and a personage worthy of our sympathy.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She's not a victim.

Too bad she's ill
but she's complicit, her program cited and she's in denial
She's appealing personally but she's up to her eyeball in the muck.
Now if she would have stood up for ethics, these many years ago,
then she would be a true hero and a personage worthy of our sympathy.

I never said she is a victim.

You have my sympathy.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I never said she is a victim.
You have my sympathy.

Cat you said:
I'm sure she didn't foresee this happening to her program and her university.

You mean, she thought she and the others would never get caught?
That they keep pulling that crap forever?
Give me a break.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Cat you said:
I'm sure she didn't foresee this happening to her program and her university.

You mean, she thought she and the others would never get caught?
That they keep pulling that crap forever?
Give me a break.

I stand by my statement that when she decided to return to coaching after her illness she did not foresee the NCAA investigation. Up to that point the NCAA had closed its investigation of UNC saying it was an academic matter within the purview of the university, not the NCAA. The NCAA decided to reopen the investigation last summer after Sylvia had made it clear she would return to coaching. Regardless of her knowledge of or participation in any academic improprieties involving her players, this must be a difficult time for her all things considered.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread here. But IIRC Gray was a great student in HS and her father was an MD. I was hoping Stanford was in the mix, but then boom, she verballed to UNC and in the press it appeared Stanford was not in the final 5 or so (though they were on her long list). Seems a bit unlikely that she will end up at Stanford at this point, but I'm sure academics will be a very heavy factor going forward, as she has indicated herself.

That said, just because she had/has good grades, doesn't mean she will automatically go for a "brand name" school academically. Many good students know that some schools with average reputations for academics 0verall might have a particular program they excel at, or have plenty of opportunities for top students to take advantage of and challenge themselves.

Reaction Score
I agree with the op who said "Dawn is after Gray". I have no clue or source stating that's true but that is a great fit (even more than Davis).

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
I think Gray to USC is going to happen pretty soon.

It surprises me since they have Davis already on the roster, but you can never have too many guards.

Not using this as an excuse, but I don't see UNC (Sylvia) allowing Gray, or anyone else, to speak with Tennessee concerning transferring. She is still highly pissed about Diamond leaving.

I hope that doesn't happen, but not surprised if it is.

Reaction Score
I think Gray to USC is going to happen pretty soon.

It surprises me since they have Davis already on the roster, but you can never have too many guards.

Not using this as an excuse, but I don't see UNC (Sylvia) allowing Gray, or anyone else, to speak with Tennessee concerning transferring. She is still highly pissed about Diamond leaving.

I hope that doesn't happen, but not surprised if it is.
Hatchell has to know it'll only hurt her for future recruits to block a transfer from talking to anyone they feel. Also why so confident Dawn pulls Gray?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I stand by my statement that when she decided to return to coaching after her illness she did not foresee the NCAA investigation. Up to that point the NCAA had closed its investigation of UNC saying it was an academic matter within the purview of the university, not the NCAA. The NCAA decided to reopen the investigation last summer after Sylvia had made it clear she would return to coaching. Regardless of her knowledge of or participation in any academic improprieties involving her players, this must be a difficult time for her all things considered.

I have great empathy for Coach Hatchell's medical condition. I disagree with your statement that upon her return "she did not foresee the NCAA investigation". She certainly should have foreseen it. When the police are investigating a crime in your neighborhood and you have details about the crime ( (maybe you are even the perpetrator) , if the police don’t speak with you the first time around, leave the neighborhood, or close the investigation you must anticipate they'll be back because there has been a crime and you know it. Coach Hatchell's knew of wrong doing by UNC. Like all perpetrator she did not anticipate getting caught-she got caught, she gets no sympathy for the state of her program. One honorable thing and a first step towards rebuilding that she can take is to support the application of her transferring players to be immediately eligible to play. That would send a positive message towards future recruits.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
If Gray ends up in the SEC.... it will be a darn shame that the SEC's best talents are pretty much ACC's transfers :rolleyes:

And some of Ohio State's best players are Duke's transfers (Kianna Holland, Sierra Calhoun). Joy Cheek has done a great job at Ohio State, getting former Duke players to commit there (with her unique perspective and sales pitch).

If Gray goes to South Carolina, Dawn Staley might as just well stop recruiting and start poaching players on the transfer wire. :D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And some of Ohio State's best players are Duke's transfers (Kianna Holland, Sierra Calhoun). Joy Cheek has done a great job at Ohio State, getting former Duke players to commit there (with her unique perspective and sales pitch).

If Gray goes to South Carolina, Dawn Staley might as just well stop recruiting and start poaching players on the transfer wire. :D
Cam, I can't let you jab Dawn like that with impunity-it's a Philly thing I am sure you understand. Acquiring players via transfer is not poaching. If you are still determined to call it that then Dawn is just better than it than other coaches -give her credit.:D

Reaction Score

Done, Dawn just tweeted it.

Reaction Score

Don't be messing with THE Ohio State University, Cam; the kid will be going there in the fall...

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Cam, I can't let you jab Dawn like that with impunity-it's a Philly thing I am sure you understand. Acquiring players via transfer is not poaching. If you are still determined to call it that then Dawn is just better than it than other coaches -give her credit.:D

It was a joke. Hence, the use of the emoticon...
Was not intended to be disparaging toward Dawn or a jab at her. Was intended to be a joke that she could stop recruiting high school players because she has had such great luck getting transfers to come there from the ACC (one from UVA, one from GaTech this year).

Reaction Score
Done, Dawn just tweeted it.

She in essence had to land as many transfers as possible this season since she didn't do anything this year to back up last year's stellar recruiting class. Things were looking pretty desperate there until this rash of transfer commitments.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

And Baylor's best player (possibly) this season will be a Duke transfer :(

:mad: @ the ACC boosting the SEC, Big 10, and Big 12

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Maybe Dawn is hitting the transfire wire because recruiting isn't going so well. I think Dawn looked ahead to Wilson's junior and senior years and didn't see championship talent on the perimeter. These moves will either pay off with a championship or two or backfire. Dawn is becoming the George Steinbrenner of women's basketball.

The speed of this latest transfer is curious. Gray didn't seek a release to talk to other schools; she sought a release to transfer to SC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom