Allisha Gray Leaving UNC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Allisha Gray Leaving UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I am shocked, shocked to hear that you have no love for UNCC!

I have love for UNCC (Charlotte) ..... just not UNC ;)

Funny thing is.... I dont hear too much these days from people I know who root for the tarheels. Seems like a good time to send out a few taunting texts :cool:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Much is being made by some UNC apologists of the fact that about as many non-athletes as athletes availed themselves of the "ghost" classes, etc. What I have never seen is a time frame for athletes vs non-athletes in the classes. I remember reading something early on to the effect that the classes were originally designed for athletes but then some folks in the Greek system got wind of what was going on and sort of demanded to be let in or else, but I have never seen anything specific. Does anyone have any info on this? Seems to me to be very important in terms of athletic department guilt or innocence.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
It's okay Cam...as I said they were only thoughts that I had...not facts. Glad you were able to correct my thinking and my spelling of Sylvia Hatchell's name...I don't really follow North Carolina basketball and don't really refer to Coach Hatchell often by name...so it is a case of senility kicking in...my apologies... With regards to the transfers to make room for the 'super stars"...whatever the surrounding specifics were it never the less happened and it didn't feel right at the time. I think the class had a feeling of contrivance to it, a sort of unnaturalness and I stand by my statement that the basketball gods help to create a new equilibrium.

Reaction Score
The seeds for the inevitable disintegration of UNC's "gang of four" (Deshields, Mavunga, Washington, Gray) were revealed in Diamond DeShields' April 2014 interview with Mechelle Voepel:
"This (UNC) is a place where they're not going to try to restrict you. Coach Hatchell told us that we were going to go fast, and she was going to let us play basketball.
Coach Hatchell's going to allow us to do those things without trying to change us or make us into a different type of player. So it was just perfect for us all."

- What it was was the perfect recipe for a disastrous marriage, a coach so desperate to sign recruits that she promised the inmates would be able to run the asylum. No restrictions, no meddling changes. Nobody should be too surprised that Hatchell's chickens have left home to roost.
- As much as Geno wanted DeShields, he would never compromise his responsibility as coach and teacher to accommodate the desires of a great young basketball
player who would sign on because she (they) would be allowed to do her own thing. It's always been Geno's way or the highway. And how successful that has been.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great point! And didn't Geno look at her? Hmmm....if no bigs from 2016 commit...hmm

I love Mavunga's game-she's a great post player, a really tough kid who isn't super tall (6'3") but fights like hell on the boards, defends well, and nobody pushes her around. Of all the kids who have already or might transfer, she would be the one I want most. She would be a perfect fit at UConn, a great team player (though I know it's just a pipedream).

Reaction Score
I think both she, and Washington, and any other player should be able to play without sitting a year.

Incoming freshmen should be able to leave if they choose as well, without sitting a year.

That of course depends on when the sanctions are imposed. If it isn't till April of 2016 anyone leaving now will not be able to play next season. I think UNC had 90 days to respond and I would guess they will use the entire time. The NCAA will take another several months to analyze their response, there will be meetings, negotiations, etc. and it won't be at least till after football season before any findings are announced.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Will this be the "kiss of death" for North Carolina athletics in general???

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The connection of Davis, Brown and Gray (Muvunga -TBD) to Tennessee is via Diamond DeShields. Come on, even Stevie Wonder could connect those dots.

I can see your point Coco. There haven't been a slew of transfers like this in 20 + years either. These kids are bailing on their teams and coaches out left and right. Who's next? It would not surprise me if she ended up in Knoxville.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Much is being made by some UNC apologists of the fact that about as many non-athletes as athletes availed themselves of the "ghost" classes, etc. What I have never seen is a time frame for athletes vs non-athletes in the classes. I remember reading something early on to the effect that the classes were originally designed for athletes but then some folks in the Greek system got wind of what was going on and sort of demanded to be let in or else, but I have never seen anything specific. Does anyone have any info on this? Seems to me to be very important in terms of athletic department guilt or innocence.
Zorro not sure I follow the logic with the importance of athletic department's guilt . Athletic department cheat, in UNC Greek system joined in-Both are equally guilty no?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yep.... the Day twins at Syracuse committed to UNC when they were sophomores in high school. Local products from Raleigh I think. Probably grew up dreaming of playing in those putrid blue uniforms. Im sure they were heartbroken when they decommitted. UNC's loss was Syracuse's gain. One of the twins averaged a double-double and close to 3 blocks a game. The other twin is a serviceable backup.
Triad just an opposing point of view. The Day commitments as sophomore was verbal no real commitment on either side. If the Day twins blew up as Juniors and decided to go to higher level program that was possible. On the UNC side if better players become available UNC is obligated to revaluate. Of course feelings are going to be hurt in the process but especially lately we have heard of more kids de-committing than schools asking them to de-commit. I not going to fault UNC in this instance.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Will this be the "kiss of death" for North Carolina athletics in general???
Yes. The NCAA can fire both a pre-emptive strike and a death nail to UNC with a very simple posting on the website " The NCAA will approve/support the application of any UNC scholarship athlete to be immediate eligible in the event of a transfer. "

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
I
Tennessee is looking at 2016 & beyond. Not looking at transfers. Only taken one in the past twenty years, but lately Tennessee is being connected to almost every transfer out there (Davis, Brown, and now Gray). Not sure why.

Very unlikely she ends up in Knoxville.

Wouldn't be shocked to hear about Mavunga transferring this week either.

True, but this is an unprecedented year for transfers. I can't imagine Holly not wanting to take a look at a great talent like Gray. I can understand why she would pass on Davis, with all the family drama and stuff, but if it came out that Holly didn't try to pursue Gray and their was interest on Gray's part to come to Tennessee, I'd be really upset Lady Vol fan. Also, we aren't exactly burning it up as far as 2016 recruiting is going. What happens if Holly strikes out on the 2016 class? Remember, she didn't have much luck with Brown, Mompremier, or Akhator. Better to be safe than sorry. And Tennessee is being connected to these transfers because they, at some point in the recruitment process, had Tennessee on their final lists. Just my .02 cents..

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Tennessee wanted Gray in the beginning, and if she wanted to come to Tennessee, Holly would take a look I'm sure. Gray had Tennessee in her final three if I'm not mistaken, and Tennessee had a really good relationship with her.

I trust Holly, unlike a lot of people. If Gray wanted to come to Tennessee, and Holly was open to it, I'd say welcome aboard and welcome to the family. She would help our guard rotation tremendously for sure.

Obviously, Mavunga hasn't mentioned anything about transferring, and all the talk about her is speculation at this point.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Regarding 2016, Cox & McCoy are likely to visit Knoxville on official visits, and both hold unconditional offers from Tennessee, as does Krystaline McCune. However, Tennessee does not lead for Cox or McCoy, but are not in last place either. McCune is a different story.

Once Cox commits, the others dominos will begin to fall. Very much doubt we strike out in 2016.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Zorro not sure I follow the logic with the importance of athletic department's guilt . Athletic department cheat, in UNC Greek system joined in-Both are equally guilty no?
It really wouldn't make a whole lot of difference, but if in the initial years of this operation it consisted almost entirely of athletes (which I would bet it did) and only later started taking on other students who got hip to what was going on, that would pretty much destroy the argument that it was not specially designed for athletes and that the athletic authorities were in the dark. I am just surprised that, as far as I know, nothing has been disclosed on this question.

Reaction Score
I

True, but this is an unprecedented year for transfers. I can't imagine Holly not wanting to take a look at a great talent like Gray. I can understand why she would pass on Davis, with all the family drama and stuff, but if it came out that Holly didn't try to pursue Gray and their was interest on Gray's part to come to Tennessee, I'd be really upset Lady Vol fan. Also, we aren't exactly burning it up as far as 2016 recruiting is going. What happens if Holly strikes out on the 2016 class? Remember, she didn't have much luck with Brown, Mompremier, or Akhator. Better to be safe than sorry. And Tennessee is being connected to these transfers because they, at some point in the recruitment process, had Tennessee on their final lists. Just my .02 cents..
Tennessee will be a full go for Gray's recruitment. Strong past connection, strong coach/father relationship and strong Georgia connection. She is too good of player not to pursue.

Reaction Score
Forget Gray, we need Mavunga at Tenn if she decides to transfer, which at this point, you have to suspect she'll be following suit soon.
I agree...and it is very likely that Steph and Allisha will end up at the same school. Actually, I'm willing to say that they'll most definitely end up at the same school. I remember reading a couple of articles (interviews of both girls) expressing how anti-social Gray was until Mavunga was able to get her out of her shell; they're attached at the hip now. I'm excited to see how this all plays out though...

Reaction Score
Forget Gray, we need Mavunga at Tenn if she decides to transfer, which at this point, you have to suspect she'll be following suit soon.

Why would Mavunga want to be Russell's backup for her last 2 years? To say nothing about why Tenn needs Gray. I was under the impression that Tenn had great depth at guard for the 3 years? :rolleyes:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
However, Tennessee does not lead for Cox or McCoy, but are not in last place either.

Unless you have private access to the Cox or McCoy families, assuming they've even come to any set conclusions, I don't know how you could possibly know this.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the first 10 plus years of the scam/fraud was 100% athletes as they were not classes but independent studies, so each student was in a unique course - the problem was that this raised issues with the Dean and the administration for two reasons - single professors were teaching an unrealistic number of independent studies each semester, and individual students were enrolled in too many independent studies each semester, year, and during their aggregate years at UNC. When the issue was raised around 2000, the department administator then devised the expedient of creating actual 'lecture' courses that followed the same formula as the independent studies courses - no lectures, no meetings, and a single paper. The problem then was that the courses had to be made available to the whole student population and at that point the frat grapevine took over and non-athletes wanting a gut course signed up and could not be excluded.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is a strange year indeed for front line players deciding to transfer and the 2013 recruiting class is decimated in terms of the top end deciding to change schools.

I have to believe that DD jumping ship a year earlier cannot have created a ton of warm fuzzy feelings from her remaining class at UNC who soldiered on last year - add DD back to that team and they should have made more noise. So I am not sure that TN with DD has a particular leg up with any other UNC transfers.

Most coaches are pretty leery of transfers for a few reasons - the fickleness that a transfer suggests being one, only having two years service from the typical transfer which reduces the ability to coach up their game being another. Probably the biggest is that it clogs up the roster spot that could potentially be filled by a player that will give four years to the program. Great talent (rare in a transfer) and specific roster fit, plus strong reasons for making the transfer mitigate the leeriness. Freshman transfers (rarer than sophomore ones I think) are a bonus in giving a coach three playing years plus one practice year as opposed to the two/three of the sophomores or the two/two of JC transfers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom