Allegations of Abuse & Mistreatment at Texas Tech | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Allegations of Abuse & Mistreatment at Texas Tech

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
A few weeks ago, I posted elsewhere the different assistant coaching changes since Stollings took over at Tech:

- 2018-19: Nikita Lowry Dawkins, Erin Grant, Larry Tidwell
- 2019-20: Nikita Lowry Dawkins, Malikah Willis, Alysiah Bond
- 2020-21: Nikita Lowry Dawkins, Malikah Willis, Carlene Mitchell

So, after her first two seasons, she's lost 3 assistant coaches.

Erin Grant left her alma mater to join the USC staff.

Larry Tidwell (who has coached a lot in the state of Texas) left to join the Kansas staff (quit after one season, and was replaced by Terry Nooner).

Alysiah Bond left to join the Missouri State staff.

All that to say that is a lot of coaching turnover. That has to hurt recruiting (relationships), player development, and staff cohesion. If that keeps up, she won't last much longer at Tech as any additional staff turnover will surely raise some eyebrows. Granted, it would be different if they were leaving for career advancement, but that doesn't seem to be the case (other than maybe Grant).

Wonder if any of those coaches left due to "philosophical" differences with Stollings. Hoping someone will interview them soon, although the coaching network seems to stay tight-lipped about others in their industry.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She sounds like a coach who, 20 years ago, would've been lionized as someone who was able to mold kids into winners. The players would've been criticized as either being soft or being "politically correct."

To be clear, coaches like this are bad for their players, bad for their programs, bad for their schools, and bad for the sport. They should be out of the profession. They never should have been allowed to coach in the first place. It should not take this level of harm to players to remove a coach or other staff member.
Rene Portland of Penn State was lionized decades ago, too. Then her homophobia was revealed and she was rightfully “retired“ from wbb.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
And running into trouble already after tweeting out a meme of a woman knitting a noose, upsetting his players and gaining a reprimand from the Miss St Administration.

Well he's always gonna stick his foot in his mouth, that's what he does. He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the press.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well he's always gonna stick his foot in his mouth, that's what he does. He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the press.
Leach is a Class-A jerk. He could help himself out by remembering the sage advice of Herm Edwards, “Don’t hit SEND!”

Reaction Score
Point taken. I guess my point is simply that Gordon was not in particularly good shape during her 2 years at UConn, and that certainly contributed to both her lack of playing time, along with a rash of nagging injuries. After transferring to TT, she appears to have gotten herself in better shape, and earn a chance to play.

Kaili could hardly move. She had a soft touch and was an exceptional passer, but she was as slow as molasses. Someone posted years ago that she got herself in shape to play in Europe. Why not at UConn?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Indeed it was. This story has gone viral. Stollings may not be able to weather this fire storm of allegations from the myriad of current and former players, none of whom have any reason to lie. It will be interesting to see where the BIG boosters and the general fan base weigh in on this.

Where there's smoke, there's fire. Texas Tech women's basketball players describe a toxic culture of 'Fear, anxiety and depression'. If just half of the allegations are true, there's serious trouble in Lubbock. It's hard to sell your program to a potential recruit and their parents, when strong allegations like this has been made by so many different current and former players against you.

It will be interesting to to see if any their recruits from the 2020 class leave, and how many recruits from the 2021 class and beyond she's able to bring in if she's retained by the administration. The administration may be hesitant to eat the remainder of her contract salary that runs through 2024, and bring in a whole new staff.
To echo what our fine colleague here has posted, yes, many other sources have picked up on this and I have attached an article from the Dallas Morning News where at the end of the article, the AD Kirby Hocutt states he met with players yesterday and will meet with them today. The disconcerting aspect is only meeting with the players for an hour while then having the players meet with the coaching staff and himself for 2 hours. That makes no sense in any realistic assessment of issues as you should meet the alleged victims, assess and document, then meet with the coaches, go back and propose meeting with the players and if they want to meet with the staff. I fear a CYA situation and not any meaningful results.
To me, the schools always look at the financial obligation first (Stollings contract is through March 2024 with $2.9 million left) then secondarily look to see if there is any abuse that would allow them out of the contract. I beg TT to do more than a cursory review and actually mean it when Hocutt says he cares about the students. Sadly, I don't see the school doing that. See SMU, see Duke see Northern Kentucky all of which backed their coaches due to contracts despite noting issues with promises of improvement. :oops:

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
She sounds like a coach who, 20 years ago, would've been lionized as someone who was able to mold kids into winners. The players would've been criticized as either being soft or being "politically correct."

Oh, right. I forgot to add self-centered and entitled. Truly unbelievable that people still think like this. Imagine thinking that driving a player into a depression is an okay thing.

This behavior from the coaching staff has nothing to do with "kids today." This behavior has never been okay. It's only now that we're coming to grips with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
To me, the schools always look at the financial obligation first (Stollings contract is through March 2024 with $2.9 million left) then secondarily look to see if there is any abuse that would allow them out of the contract. I beg TT to do more than a cursory review and actually mean it when Hocutt says he cares about the students. Sadly, I don't see the school doing that. See SMU, see Duke see Northern Kentucky all of which backed their coaches due to contracts despite noting issues with promises of improvement. :oops:

One of the articles said her contract calls for her to get 75% of her remaining future salary if she is fired for cause. That's a pretty good contract - sounds like somebody on her side anticipated the possibility. In any case, it sounds like they can only get out of about $.75 million of the $2.9 million remaining contract, even if they fire her for cause. Surely the $$ wouldn't skew their objectivity, would it? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
One of the articles said her contract calls for her to get 75% of her remaining future salary if she is fired for cause. That's a pretty good contract - sounds like somebody on her side anticipated the possibility. In any case, it sounds like they can only get out of about $.75 million of the $2.9 million remaining contract, even if they fire her for cause. Surely the $$ wouldn't skew their objectivity, would it?
Thanks for the added color which normally I would hit “Like” but it feels wrong to sound like I am in support of her and this contract (though I know it isn’t. So let me say you are a good man for finding this, I just wish you added the “:rolleyes:” emoji at the end!

Reaction Score
I may be completely wrong in this as I have very little information on Texas Tech and their basketball program. However, I am going to hold judgment until a lot more information comes out. Obviously there are limits on how much coaches should push their players, and physical issues are completely out of bounds. There was a mass exodus in (I believe) Nebraska a few years ago with players complaining about mistreatment. In the end I believe the coach was defended by several four your players Who claimed the coach did nothing but attempt to push the players to be better. Auburn also saw a bunch of players leave recently. One of the takeaways from those situations was that players are so much softer today than they were years ago. I have seen it in the public schools were the younger generation gets their feelings hurt so much easier today than ever before. I am not saying that is the case, however, until I hear a lot more about the situation I’m going to hold judgment.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
One of the takeaways from those situations was that players are so much softer today than they were years ago.

"Five players alleged strength and conditioning coach Ralph Petrella sexually harassed players, making suggestive comments to one player and using a therapy technique that involved applying pressure to some players’ chests and pubic bones and groins. "

"Throughout this past season, Petrella continued to administer RPR to multiple players, but he allegedly requested that this one player stay afterward for one-on-one treatment, according to the player and teammates. He also allegedly applied pressure to her pubic bone, went under her sports bra to reach a chest pressure point and went under her spandex shorts to reach an area near her groin, the player said."

"At least two players eschewed taking over-the-counter painkillers because, “If we’re in pain, our heart rate’s going to be higher.” Better punish themselves than risk punishment from coaches, they figured."

Do these players sound soft?

Reaction Score

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
...so the AD realized after meeting with the players and coaches how bad and far apart they were and decided his initial support statements were inadequate so he fired her today. Good for him but maybe he should have waited without saying anything until all the discussions occurred.

I will say that I am very dismayed by the quotes from posters who think elite D1 athletes are soft,
Pampered and other rather derogatory comments. All these athletes spend 12-18 credit hours a week, homework, plus 20 hours a week in practice/games, and another 5-10 hours in other outside team activities plus all the travel. So maybe you need to rethink your views into the 21st century...:oops:

Reaction Score
If Tina Langley from Rice doesn’t get this job I’m going to assume she’s not a likable person

Reaction Score
Per ESPN Texas Tech fired Stollings for having a culture of abuse.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Thursday night firing by Texas Tech after the hypocrites did an "investigation" that cleared her. An administration for whom "out of touch" really does not measure their stupidity.

Yeah there is a new thread but I don't see the point.

Texas Tech is now in the so richly deserved but unenviable position of having terminated Stollings for cause based on the same allegations that were involved in its oral report that had this AD exonerate her just weeks before. Caught out for the characterless mugs they are.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One of the articles said her contract calls for her to get 75% of her remaining future salary if she is fired for cause. That's a pretty good contract - sounds like somebody on her side anticipated the possibility. In any case, it sounds like they can only get out of about $.75 million of the $2.9 million remaining contract, even if they fire her for cause. Surely the $$ wouldn't skew their objectivity, would it? :rolleyes:

Journalist error? 75% if she is terminated without cause. With cause it's base compensation through termination date per USAToday article. Texas Tech fires coach Marlene Stollings amid abuse claims within women's basketball team

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have a BY protocol question. I started a thread this AM noting the Texas Tech coach was fired, which was merged into this existing thread on the troubles with the program. Which is fine with me. But...I started a new thread so the firing news was obvious to readers, rather than buried in this thread. There have been threads on conjecture about Geno retiring. If he announced he will retire, would that news be added as comment #124 to the existing conjecture thread or treated as something new deserving it's own thread?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I have a BY protocol question. I started a thread this AM noting the Texas Tech coach was fired, which was merged into this existing thread on the troubles with the program. Which is fine with me. But...I started a new thread so the firing news was obvious to readers, rather than buried in this thread. There have been threads on conjecture about Geno retiring. If he announced he will retire, would that news be added as comment #124 to the existing conjecture thread or treated as something new deserving it's own thread?

BY would close down. :eek:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Hey, get used to it as it happens. I actually started the Texas Tech thread on this first over in the General Board where it should reside, however this thread was created after mine on the main board and all comments are linked so it does seem logical to have only 1 thread about this jerk of a person.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kaili could hardly move. She had a soft touch and was an exceptional passer, but she was as slow as molasses. Someone posted years ago that she got herself in shape to play in Europe. Why not at UConn?
The pay is better in Europe!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom