All you need to know about Aresco | The Boneyard

All you need to know about Aresco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) How excited he was to hear of Tulane's interest from the Central Florida AD.

2) How he played up the Cincy-Louisville rivalry at the Tulane press call about ten hours before UL was accepted by the ACC.

3) His complete tone-deafness to the potential that the C7 would split. Why was that? Because his sounding boards were in Orlando, Tampa, San Diego and Memphis. His sounding boards now are in Orlando, Tampa and Memphis..

4) Worst of all, this television visionary managed to secure all of $10M for the last season of Big East basketball. He expects to be paid 10% of that, by the way.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Fishy,

Sadly this is spot on. #4 might be the biggest failure. How is the C7 + UConn + L'Ville worth 1/3 of the C7??

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Agreed. UConn alone is worth much more than the overall contract. Frankly, it's insulting to UConn that this number is now attached to us and will absolutely impact us in any future conference realignment negotiations.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
This is a TV guy?

Reaction Score
An industry insider. Just like the lobbyists doling out sweet deals.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
$10 million for the last season with the C7.
To be divided amongst EIGHTEEN TEAMS.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
An industry insider. Just like the lobbyists doling out sweet deals.

Aresco's got 7 of 10 votes plus Navy and UMass or Tulsa. You gotta work the pigeons to keep those $1 million a year jobs. When Mike says to 9 of the 12 teams "I have your best interest at heart" he means it.

"And if anyone wants to bring up my half breed CBS, MWC, Tulane heritage I'll cut off your freaky head just like I did to this sorry motherfreaker" to paraphrase Quentin Tarentino while holding Warde Manuel's head..

Reaction Score
He. Failed. Miserably.

I really think he just wants to resign at this point and took whatever came. No other way to explain it. The thing is,that the collection of presidents he worked with could not be taken at their word. Ever.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
He will officially be a failure when/if the presidents vote yes on this deal. He's already a failure in my book but I will feel that every university president in the NBE that votes yes on this deal is a failure as well. I really like SH but there's NO reason, I repeat NO REASON, she should be saying yes to this. It's an absolute joke.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
What else can she say exactly?
No? I don't really know what the result would be if they reject the ESPN match. However, I think it's a slap in the face and if there has to be a vote, vote no. Pitt, GTown, and whoever voted against the massive BE deal, why can't UConn vote against this stupid, worthless deal.

Reaction Score
What else can she say exactly?

Play the aggressor for one. I am so tired of hearing on this board that UConn should simply accept the fate others are determining for us. Why not stand up for UCONN? Why not tell the rest of the country and the Big 5 how we value ourselves? Perception becomes reality and if we perceive our worth to be tied with the NBE, I am sure the Big 10 and ACC will believe it as well. Its clear nothing will be handed to UConn so if our plan is simply to wait our turn, good luck. Instead, play the aggressor, and go out and get it!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No? I don't really know what the result would be if they reject the ESPN match. However, I think it's a slap in the face and if there has to be a vote, vote no. Pitt, GTown, and whoever voted against the massive BE deal, why can't UConn vote against this stupid, worthless deal.

They can if you are into symbolism. Seems a bit pointless. If the league votes it down, it will be like the World Series back in the day.

We'll station a UConn fan at every game with an Ipad (steal them from Maryland's bus when they come to Rentschler). They can facetime to someone on the Boneyard who can post updates. Maybe we can get a couple of kids on WHUS to recreate the games like baseball games back in the old days. I bet we could get Tulane like radio money for that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Play the aggressor for one. I am so tired of hearing on this board that UConn should simply accept the fate others are determining for us. Why not stand up for UCONN? Why not tell the rest of the country and the Big 5 how we value ourselves? Perception becomes reality and if we perceive our worth to be tied with the NBE, I am sure the Big 10 and ACC will believe it as well. Its clear nothing will be handed to UConn so if our plan is simply to wait our turn, good luck. Instead, play the aggressor, and go out and get it!

What exactly does that mean? Just quit the league with no other league to join? Sure that would be pretty awesome. Butch probably knows someone at the Willimantic YMCA that would like to rekindle that rivalry.

Reaction Score
Can somebody explain to me how the "Open Market" can produce such a low ball offer? How "open" is this market? What happened to networks being desperate for content?

With the market this bad why didn't we just say to NBC give us your best one year offer that does not have a right to first refusal, that way even if ESPN matched we would be a true free agent next year.

Reaction Score
$10 million for the last season with the C7.
To be divided amongst EIGHTEEN TEAMS.

But, doesn't that tell you that the CYO7 deal is wildly overpriced?

If the Catholics are worth $4 million per, and the current conference bball teams are worth $600k, then Butler, Xavier and Richmond are worth $22 million more a year than UConn, Louisville, Notre Dame, Cincinnati, Memphis, Rutgers, Temple, and CUSA.

This pretty much blows the theory out of the water that TV networks pay for competition. This is what Frank the Tank argued, but then how do you explain next season? Just like stocks, some things are overvalued, some things are undervalued. Talk to Warren Buffett. He bought Bank of America at 6 and people said he was crazy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

If the Catholics are worth $4 million per, and the current conference bball teams are worth $600k, then Butler, Xavier and Richmond are worth $22 million more a year than UConn, Louisville, Notre Dame, Cincinnati, Memphis, Rutgers, Temple, and CUSA.

This pretty much blows the theory out of the water that TV networks pay for competition. This is what Frank the Tank argued, but then how do you explain next season? Just like stocks, some things are overvalued, some things are undervalued. Talk to Warren Buffett. He bought Bank of America at 6 and people said he was crazy.

Huh - he explained that they are going to get overpaid because they wouldn't leave the Big East and go out on their own unless they got overpaid. It has nothing to do with the kind of math you and Nelson love to do where you back into Butler, Xavier and Richmond being valuable or UConn and Cincinnati have negative values of hundreds of millions.

Reaction Score
Huh - he explained that they are going to get overpaid because they wouldn't leave the Big East and go out on their own unless they got overpaid. It has nothing to do with the kind of math you and Nelson love to do where you back into Butler, Xavier and Richmond being valuable or UConn and Cincinnati have negative values of hundreds of millions.
The math is absolutely right. Frank argued that the league had so little value because the games would suck. That's an acceptable argument. But now that we see what the Big East is worth when UConn, ND, Louisville, Cincy, Memphis are in it, the argument loses power, because clearly next year's BE is going to blow away both the year after's BE AND the CYO7 in content. This literally means that content does not equal cash $$$.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score

Most of those C-12 schools are basketball crazy. No football. Nice tradition. Nice markets. Affluent fans.

Lunardi has 8 of the rumored C-12 teams either in the NCAA tourney or in the last 4 out. The teams on the Outside looking in: PC, Seton Hall, Depaul, and Dayton.

PC has NIT written all over it.

Their top 8 or 9 teams in the conference tourney are worth watching. 5 are in the Top 26 in the polls (SJU, VU, and Xavier aren't in the polls but are tourney "Work to do" teams). As noted above PC is going dancing likely to the NI.

The NNBE? Memphis is ranked. Cincy is around 30 and Temple is the last team in. UConn would be in the mix. No one else is worth mentioning except UCF who will join PC in the NIT.

The one year bridge deal is unimportant for valuation. It's a pity screw.

Reaction Score
Most of those C-12 schools are basketball crazy. No football. Nice tradition. Nice markets. Affluent fans.

Lunardi has 8 of the rumored C-12 teams either in the NCAA tourney or in the last 4 out. The teams on the Outside looking in: PC, Seton Hall, Depaul, and Dayton.

PC has NIT written all over it.

Their top 8 or 9 teams in the conference tourney are worth watching. 5 are in the Top 26 in the polls (SJU, VU, and Xavier aren't in the polls but are tourney "Work to do" teams). As noted above PC is going dancing likely to the NI.

The NNBE? Memphis is ranked. Cincy is around 30 and Temple is the last team in. UConn would be in the mix. No one else is worth mentioning except UCF who will join PC in the NIT.

The one year bridge deal is unimportant for valuation. It's a pity screw.

You left out Louisville and Notre Dame! That's the entire point.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What exactly does that mean? Just quit the league with no other league to join? Sure that would be pretty awesome. Butch probably knows someone at the Willimantic YMCA that would like to rekindle that rivalry.
No it means turn down the TV deal emphatically stating the UConn alone is worth more.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The math is absolutely right. Frank argued that the league had so little value because the games would suck. That's an acceptable argument. But now that we see what the Big East is worth when UConn, ND, Louisville, Cincy, Memphis are in it, the argument loses power, because clearly next year's BE is going to blow away both the year after's BE AND the CYO7 in content. This literally means that content does not equal cash $.

Yes UConn is worth negative 131 million and Butler is worth more than then whole Big East. Certainly this is accurate.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No it means turn down the TV deal emphatically stating the UConn alone is worth more.

Can you please propose exactly what UConn should do? After this emphatic statement. What exactly happens?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The math is absolutely right. Frank argued that the league had so little value because the games would suck. That's an acceptable argument. But now that we see what the Big East is worth when UConn, ND, Louisville, Cincy, Memphis are in it, the argument loses power, because clearly next year's BE is going to blow away both the year after's BE AND the CYO7 in content. This literally means that content does not equal cash $.

The reason why there is no money for next season is because no one actually believes those teams will be in the league next year. It's the same reason why the overall Big East money is so low.

Who wants to pay for something when the members are publicly doing everything in their power to get out. You may as well tell the bidders it's worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom