All Time "Who You Got In a Bar Fight" Team | The Boneyard

All Time "Who You Got In a Bar Fight" Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NotaDime posted the following quip in another thread: "Jeff Adrien is twice the man AO ever will be."

That made me think - who yuh got in a bar fight?

Here are mine:

Adrien, T. Walker, R. Inyatkin, Sellers, Henefeld

Adrien "gimme that " is Captain.

H

Husk-E

I agree with most of the picks, but I'd definitely have to include CV.

caw

Reaction Score
I think you have to throw in Butler somewhere. I might even have him as captain.

Reaction Score
Not sure but the last guy I would want on my side in a bar fight is Alex Oriakhi

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
First guy that came to mind was Toraino Walker. Doing time hardens a man.

This thread is a terrible idea.

Cue the "we know who would raid the cash register" jokes...

Reaction Score
...have to consider Eric Hayward...Lyman Depriest...Souleymane Wane

Reaction Score
Hands down, Jeff Adrien.

When we played in St. Thomas, I was talking to a kid from San Diego. They had beaten us in the NCAA the previous year. So this kid says that Jeff is a beast and the most intimidating opponent he had ever faced. He said Jeff was scary on the court, and he was hoping they would not have to face us that week.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Johnnie Selvie - I think he's my first round pick here. Honestly, I would expect nothing short of cartoonish-levels of violence out of Selvie. He's odds-on to drop a jukebox on someone's head - I just see the fight ending with Johnnie Selvie holding a couple of racks of human ribs.

Hasheem Thabeet - Before one of you sad sacks with a body that looks like a bag of mashed potatoes ironically chimes in with "but he's soft!", hear me out. He's 7' tall, he's 275 pounds, he has hands the size of garbage can lids and he can hit you from a zip code away. He has that edge that kids from Africa always seem to have and after an hour of the Wild Turkey shots I'll be feeding him, my God, picture him windmilling his way through a pile of bodies.

Ed Nelson - Look at that, I just brought a bazooka to your gun fight.

Jeff Adrien - Someone above picked Toraino Walker - I saw Toraino get in a couple of fights with a friend of mine. Toraino is no Jeff Adrien.

Khalid - Again, hear me out. Every bar fight needs someone who is willing to break a bottle over someone's head to help out a friend. He might not punch anyone, but I can see some peeps getting pole-axed by a pool cue they never saw coming.

Honorable mention - Jim Calhoun. I imagine he was (is) hell on wheels in a bar fight.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Johnnie Selvie - I think he's my first round pick here. Honestly, I would expect nothing short of cartoonish-levels of violence out of Selvie. He's odds-on to drop a jukebox on someone's head - I just see the fight ending with Johnnie Selvie holding a couple of racks of human ribs.

Hasheem Thabeet - Before one of you sad sacks with a body that looks like a bag of mashed potatoes ironically chimes in with "but he's soft!", hear me out. He's 7' tall, he's 275 pounds, he has hands the size of garbage can lids and he can hit you from a zip code away. He has that edge that kids from Africa always seem to have and after an hour of the Wild Turkey shots I'll be feeding him, my God, picture him windmilling his way through a pile of bodies.

Ed Nelson - Look at that, I just brought a bazooka to your gun fight.

Jeff Adrien - Someone above picked Toraino Walker - I saw Toraino get in a couple of fights with a friend of mine. Toraino is no Jeff Adrien.

Khalid - Again, hear me out. Every bar fight needs someone who is willing to break a bottle over someone's head to help out a friend. He might not punch anyone, but I can see some peeps getting pole-axed by a pool cue they never saw coming.

Honorable mention - Jim Calhoun. I imagine he was (is) hell on wheels in a bar fight.

People who are baked don't get in fights, so that takes Khalid and Selvie off the list. There are mean drunks, but has anyone ever met a mean stoner? It doesn't happen. I can see Selvie and Khalid incoherently trying to break up the fight, making things worse, then getting distracted and just wandering away as chaos ensues.

Thabeet would writhe in agony after getting bumped by some 6'7, 210 pound backup center from St. Johns. You really want this guy to have your back in a fight? His whole problem in the NBA is that he is too nice and doesn't work hard enough.

Nelson and Adrien are mustard. I will give you that.

Everyone has left out Edmund Saunders. He is the kind of guy that would break a chair over someone's head if he didn't like they way they asked him what time it was. Someone with that kind of short fuse and indifference to pain or what anyone thinks about him is exactly the kind of guy you want with you in a bar fight.

While he is a bit goofy, Taliek is built like a brick s***house. I give him the edge in toughness among point guards over Ollie even though Ollie was from South Central LA.

Scheffer looks like Screech (I can only speak about from the neck up), but he is Israeli Army so that makes him 10x tougher than anyone else on the team.

Reaction Score
I watched Jerome Dyson kick Craig Austrie's ass pretty bad during practice once, so I'd probably put him on my team.

Reaction Score
Hilton Armstrong, his name says it all.

Hilton probably made the most amazing transformation of any player during his 4 years in Storrs. He was a stringbean when he showed up.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Pre-prison Toraino Walker, I assume. Let's see your friend go up against him now. You'd be short a friend.

Reaction Score
This one is easy. Ruslan Inyatkin and Toraino Walker, surprised nobody mentioned Edmund Saunders.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I'll go by position with this.

C - Jake Voskuhl. His looks fooled fans and many an opponent. He was the most ruthless, dirtiest center we ever had, and I say that with complete admiration and affection. Sellers famously and deliciously lost his cool once, but Voskuhl might have tried to do the same thing without being caught.

PF - Jeff Adrien. Nothing to add to what's already been said.

SF - Lyman Depriest. Tenacity on defense translates well to tenacity in a bar fight.

SG - Doron Sheffer. I just think you have to include either Sheffer or Henefeld. Henefeld in particular was in the Israeli Army trenches during a bad time and was the one guy Calhoun refused to yell at until Henefeld practically begged him to do so. You gotta respect someone who even Calhoun gives his due for toughness, but I'm not going to replace Adrien with Henefeld so I've got to go with Sheffer as a substitute here.

PG - Taliek Brown. For much the same reason as Depriest. I'd give Ricky Moore an edge in regards to the tenacity but he was not as pure a PG, plus Brown just looks more intimidating.

Having gone by position, I have to admit I would prefer just taking five of our power forwards. Adrien, Henefeld, Saunders, T. Walker and Freeman in a bar fight together would be a sight to behold.

Reaction Score
Glad you mentioned Voskuhl, he might be the most underappreciated player in UConn history. Jake was a really good and really smart player, set by far the best picks of any UConn player ever, played great defense, tough rebounder. Jake was a gamer.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
wiggins, caron, adrien, nelson, boone

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Glad you mentioned Voskuhl, he might be the most underappreciated player in UConn history.

True, but what about Jake's old man? That guy looked like a shi!tkicker from way back.

Reaction Score
Gotta go with Kemba. Because well he's Kemba. And speaking of bar fights
images.jpeg

Reaction Score
No Donnie Marshall? He was one guy who I remember mixing it up all the time. Fwiw, most bball players are horrible fighters. I remember watching two "tough" bball player's in Mourning and Larry Johnson attempting to throw fists in what amounted to a girlie slap fight. I'd probably stick to guys under 6'6" for the most part.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Glad you mentioned Voskuhl, he might be the most underappreciated player in UConn history. Jake was a really good and really smart player, set by far the best picks of any UConn player ever, played great defense, tough rebounder. Jake was a gamer.

I probably should have just said "smart" instead of ruthless and dirty, but Voskuhl sticks out to me for two reasons. Once in awhile I get seats near the court. When that happens I focus on what goes on in the trenches, particularly the "extracurriculars." Voskuhl was involved in more "extracurricular" activity than any other Husky I've observed.

Then there was the 99 championship. I feel safe bringing this up now, so many years later. It's a video clip played often right after the game. After an anemic first half El-Amin comes to life towards the end of the game. He makes an often replayed drive to the basket which begs the question "How come Brand did not do anything to intimidate that shot?" The evidence in the video, spotted among the crowd of players only if you were looking for it, is Voskuhl grabbing Brand's shirt enough to impede lift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom