All Time Favorite Women's Player and why? | The Boneyard

All Time Favorite Women's Player and why?

Reaction Score
Who is your all time favorite player and why? I am really more interested in the why than the who. Thanks in advance for your replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Stefanie Dolson. Through sheer perseverance, she made herself a multi-year AA and WNBA allstar. Always improving her game, mind and body and you cant ask for a better teammate. Always high intensity. :D:D:D

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Ann Strother.

Most under-rated of all the UConn "star" players.

Her UConn career stats are impressive: 1699 points, 614 rebounds, 418 assists, 119 steals, and 120 blocks

She gave it all in every game. Played in all 143 and started in 142 of them. An unselfish, team player who played her best in the big moments. Was a great second banana in Taurasi's last two years and there would be two less National Championship banners hanging in Gampel if it wasn't for her. (Watch the NC games from 2003 and 2004 and you'll agree.)

Then she carried the team along with Barb Turner her last two years when UConn's star power wasn't so bright. She played her senior year with a nagging and painful foot injury but still averaged 33 minutes per game and had career high totals in points and rebounds and was the MOP of the Big East Tourney

2004 - 05 Led the team in scoring, minutes played, assists, 3 pt fgs and fg%, and second in blocks.
Other starters that year included Turner, Nicolle Wolf, Ashley Valley and Jessica Moore.

2005 -06 Led the team in scoring, minutes played, blocks, 3 pt fgs, ft% and second in assists.
Other starters included Barb Turner, Nicole Wolf, Mel Thomas, and freshman Renee Montgomery.

Ann never made it big in the pros for reasons mostly out of her control. But she came out of retirement in 2012 to win a Gold Medal on the 3x3 National Team in the inaugural FIBA 3x3 World Championship in Athens, Greece that year.

I've followed the UConn Women since '89 and there are a lot of favorites I could rave about, (Laura Lishness, Swin Cash, Tina Charles and Gabby Williams come to mind), but I'd put Ann at the top of the list.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Ashley Battle

Relentless.
Stamina.
Perseverance.
Attitude.

She set way for players like Kelly F, and Kia N, and Gabby. Just nasty on the defensive end and can do a lot of things around the court to upset the defense that you don't see in the stat lines. Seems like my favorite players are always the ones with the stifling defense.

Reaction Score
It's hard to pick one , Tina , Maya , Stewie , but for me its Gabbie , her all out effort every second on the floor, playing herself to exhaustion, the way she glides around the court, if you watch a game replay and just concentrate on her , its amazing!!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Kaleena+Mosqueda+Lewis+NCAA+Women+Basketball+FMbaQQ2P4jxl.jpg

Reaction Score
With UConn34, my favorite HUSKY is Jen: she really does personify making the most out of your gifts
With DaddyChoc, my favorite PLAYER is Maya: she really does have the most gifts

if that makes any sense....

Reaction Score
My favorite? Probably Kerry Bascom. The first All American , 3 time Big East player of the year,part of the first Final Four team, won a gold medal at the World University Games in 91. If Geno was the architect, she is one of the foundation bricks of the tall skyscraper called UConn. Oh by the way does anyone have any of her World University Games on video. I would like to see any of them on YouTube. The 91 Final Four videos are already my UConn favorites.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I have to go with Jamelle.
She is undersized and not the most naturally gifted, but she excelled. Her competitiveness under the glass and grit made her exceptional and an unheralded key to 1995. Who she is as a teammate and genuine person adds to her appeal. As Jen said, "Rebecca was my best friend on the team, Jamelle was my best teammate."

Reaction Score
I only became aware of UConn women's basketball around 2002, so I obviously missed some great players. But I've seen Diana, Maya, and Stewie, and I wouldn't know how to rank them, even if I wanted to. Disregarding the qualifier "women's", my favorite player, any era, any gender, is Moriah. For me, no one is more fun to watch.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Who is your all time favorite player and why? I am really more interested in the why than the who. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Oh, there's just too many to mention. However, when the question is asked, the first person in my mind is Rebecca. She was and is the "brand" in all respects. The second one (and I don't mean to say the second best) is Maya. She "brought it!" I always smiled and knew when she got her game face on, it was about to happen. Her facial expression told you she was done "fooling around". I often watch reruns and still get that smile when I know "the face" is coming.

Reaction Score
I have to go with Jamelle.
She is undersized and not the most naturally gifted, but she excelled. Her competitiveness under the glass and grit made her exceptional and an unheralded key to 1995. Who she is as a teammate and genuine person adds to her appeal. As Jen said, "Rebecca was my best friend on the team, Jamelle was my best teammate."
Jamelle Elliot was the rock on the first championship team in 1995. I loved Jen and Rebecca but without Jamelle, we don't beat Tennessee. Having said that, my favorite player was Diana Taurasi. She won her first NC with great talent all around her but then won two more on shear will. The best pure player was Maya Moore. She could do anything and still can.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is a very hard question. It's like asking a grandparent which grandchild is their favorite. LouS got it right. IMO, there are too many great UConn players that have come through the program to pick just one. But............ I like Maya. :D I like Maya for a myriad of reasons, not all of which are because of her conquests on the basketball court. Some of them are for the person she is, such as being an excellent ambassador for UConn and women's basketball around the world on and off the court.

She gets an A+ for character and class. Stop and think for a moment. You've never heard/seen Maya do or say anything out of character or class that reflected negatively on her, her family UConn or women's basketball. I've never heard her whine or complain. If you were a basketball coach, she's the type of player you'd like to have 5 of.

Maya is the type of player that young girls can look up to and aspire to be like. She does things the right way. She doesn't cheat or cut corners. She's steady and dependable. She is a CHAMPION any way you look at her. She was a champion in high school. She was a 4 time national champion with the Georgia Metros AAU team. She was a 2 time national champion at UConn, she is an Olympic gold medal champion, she is a 4 time champion and rookie of the year (2011) in the WNBA. She has won multiple championships in the Euro league.

She was an ALL-American in high school and college. The rest of her awards are too numerous to mention. She embodies ALL of the criteria and characteristics one could ask/look for when critiquing a player's qualifications to be called a champion. She's on my personal " Mount Rushmore" of UConn legends that have played during the Auriemma/Dailey era.

The cherry on top - She recently took a nice picture with my oldest granddaughter during last year's Sparks/Lynx playoffs. She's also the reason I became interested in the WNBA. And last but not least, she loves her mom. :) So, if you ask me how do you spell CHAMPION??? That's easy. The answer is.....................M-A-Y-A!!! :p

images

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom