All Time Above Their Heads Performances Against UConn | The Boneyard

All Time Above Their Heads Performances Against UConn

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A spin off of the Husky playing above their head thread.

We all know there have been some unbelievable statistical anomaly performances against the Huskies including YMCA boy for St Joe's this year.

What are some of the more memorable big time performances by middling players?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This one is easy and there is no other answer for the BEST:

1998 #2 UConn vs #15 Fairleigh Dickinson

Elijah Allen 14/17 over all, 6/7 from 3, 9/11 FTs 43 points

Amazing game by the young man made it very tough in the first round for our Huskies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I remember when Scott Burrell was asked who the best player he ever played against in college his answer was Lindsay Hunter. Another NIT assassin of note was Trent Tucker. Might have been the greatest shooting performance in the history of the Hartford Civic Center.

Edit: maybe these guys were too accomplished for the question

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This one is easy and there is no other answer for the BEST:

1998 #2 UConn vs #15 Fairleigh Dickinson

Elijah Allen 14/17 over all, 6/7 from 3, 9/11 FTs 43 points

Amazing game by the young man made it very tough in the first round for our Huskies.

I basically started this thread for you answer because I couldn't remember Allen's name.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I remember when Scott Burrell was asked who the best player he ever played against in college his answer was Lindsay Hunter. Another NIT assassin of note was Trent Tucker. Might have been the greatest shooting performance in the history of the Hartford Civic Center.

I thought Hunter was one who lit up Huskies but, even though he was unknown to most Huskies fans at the time, he was no flash in the pan.

Reaction Score
Elijah Allen of Farleigh Dickinson, first round of the tournament '98. Darius Rice and Preston Shumpert (blowing kisses to his girlfriend.)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Nah. Not too accomplished. Even real good players have to have career games. It's just neat to see someone like Hunter have his coming out party.

Wait a minute! "Best Coming Out Party Against UConn By A Previously Unknown Player Who Turned Out To Be Pretty Good" could be its own thread.

Reaction Score
Seems to me that Providence College's Robert Hughes went crazy against us in the Big East tournament and knocked us out. Can't remember the year, although I was there. UConn athletics website appears to be down.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought Hunter was one who lit up Huskies but, even though he was unknown to most Huskies fans at the time, he was no flash in the pan.
Tucker was about 20 years before Hunter. He was making 30 footers all night. It was sickest thing I ever saw in college.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Tucker was about 20 years before Hunter. He was making 30 footers all night. It was sickest thing I ever saw in college.

I remember Trent as an NBA player but have no idea about his college days.

On a national scale my basketball memory goes back to Ewing's freshman year and losing in finals to UNC. I have zero memory of Isaiah Thomas and IU winning or even being a college player.

Reaction Score
JR Bremer of St. Bonaventure ... only time I recall a Calhoun team being thoroughly outplayed wire to wire. In fact, I was so impressed I sent my son there to get even.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I remember Trent as an NBA player but have no idea about his college days.
I thought that might be before your your time. I hadn't heard of him at the time. All I knew was that McHale played with him the year before. I can't be the only one here that was at that Trent Tucker game. @Vuce, @alexd. ?

Reaction Score
I remember Tucker as an NBA player too. Not at Minny. Looks like the game you are talking about was in 1981. That was a little before my UConn hoops days

PWS

Reaction Score
Seems to me that Providence College's Robert Hughes went crazy against us in the Big East tournament and knocked us out. Can't remember the year, although I was there. UConn athletics website appears to be down.

I think it was Robert Phelps who lit us up in the Big East T. We wanted him bad coming out of high school and he was a big get for PC. His career was mediocre, but he saved the best for last against us in that game

PWS

Reaction Score
Elijah Allen of Farleigh Dickinson, first round of the tournament '98. Darius Rice and Preston Shumpert (blowing kisses to his girlfriend.)

Shumpert was blowing kisses to a girl who used to be his girlfriend (he didn't know that). Shortly after that game, it was revealed that she was with DeShaun Williams. That didn't make for locker room harmony. Williams eventually got chucked out of SU for assaulting a woman in a bar who just happened to be the Orange Mascot at SU games. Good times.

Reaction Score
Steve Novak going for 41 & 16 on the 2006 team. That was the first red flag with that team. Novak had a solid season and career but 41 & 16 was just stupid. 16 boards for that doofus against a frontline with Rudy, Hilton, Boone, and Adrien? Yuck.

Joe Alexander became a lottery pick essentially because of two big games against us. What a bust he turned out to be in the pros. Like Novak, he was another guy was having a good season but looked like a world-beater against us.

Reaction Score

Remember that game. NIT game in Hartford. Chuck Aleksinas was playing for us. Earl Kelly also.

Reaction Score
The obvious answers are George Mason and Ryan Gomes. What other player gets fans to question the recruitment of Emeka Okafor.

Gomes was x3 All-Big East and a consensus AA his senior year. Sure, he wasn't highly rated coming out of HS but he was a helluva college player. I wouldn't say his performances against us were that above his head.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom