All home games at Gampel | Page 2 | The Boneyard

All home games at Gampel

All home games should be at Gampel?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
These kind of posts COMPLETELY MISS THE POINT of the problem.

I was stuck in the north garage with about 150 other cars until 9:45. A few of you having a secret parking place where they don't ticket is not a global solution, is it? It was gridlock on campus until 10 pm, and the other several thousand people stuck in traffic also don't care that jslack03 knows someone that knows someone that lets him park in a faculty spot, or whatever it is you do.

You are doing something wrong. I saw the shot by SN. Got into our car and dropped 2 people off 1/2 mile past the Altnaveigh Inn (on rt.195) and was in my driveway in Southington at 10:20. If I were you I would never park in the north garage. You would be better off parking near the hockey facility and going off campus in that direction.

In a previous post you indicated it took you almost an hour to leave the campus. The game ended at approx. 9:01 and you had to get out of Gampel and up to the north garage. To get to your car would probably take 8-10 minutes. My question is if you got out of the garage by 9:45 what the heck were you doing the other 25 minutes it took you to get off campus. If I leave directly from the game it has never taken me more than an hour and 15 minutes to get to my home in Southington and many times I have made it in one hour. You are doing something wrong Nelson.

Reaction Score
I'm a XL season ticket guy and have been for a long time, HOWEVER, I think they really need to start transitioning out of Hartford. They should take the current 10(ish) game schedule, put two down in New Haven/Fairfield county (like they used to do with the New Haven Coliseum), one down at Mohegan Sun, and cut the Hartford package down to 7 games. There's just far too many "ghost towns" at the XL.

Reaction Score
These kind of posts COMPLETELY MISS THE POINT of the problem.

I was stuck in the north garage with about 150 other cars until 9:45. A few of you having a secret parking place where they don't ticket is not a global solution, is it? It was gridlock on campus until 10 pm, and the other several thousand people stuck in traffic also don't care that jslack03 knows someone that knows someone that lets him park in a faculty spot, or whatever it is you do.

No need to park in the garage. There are free lots a short walk from Gampel that allow you to exit quickly.

Reaction Score
Down the hill on the left. I think its across from the north garage.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Glaston-I'm driving into the Louisville game, where should I park?
L lot or lot 9, both onKing Hill Rd. It's $9 at L lot but there is parking on either side thats free before the entrance to L lot.

C

Chief00

With Gov Malloy investing $35m in the XL games will stay at XL. My vote would be less neutral site games and play more home/away against to teams.

Reaction Score
Never park in the garage unless you're too old or just can't walk a long distance for whatever reason...we always park in the lot near Teds, walk out between Gampel and the new practice facility! and drive off campus in a few minutes...

Reaction Score
I have secret parking lot I use that allows me to get off campus in ten minutes :cool:

HINT: you want to be on the edge of campus, even if that means a hike to Gampel

NotADimeBack

Give me my avi back
Reaction Score
Gampel is a top 10 home court; but all games played there, it will never happen…because money

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
why do you think the Gampel was built to a little over 8000 and then expanded. Because the state wants to protect the XL center and will continue to make sure UCONN plays there.

Reaction Score
This is one of the more absurd threads I have read here. Move all the games to Gampel with it's gigantic 10,000 seat capacity? I really wonder what some people in this group are thinking about sometimes.

Reaction Score
I guess the question is why was HCC by far the loudest for 89-90 games GTown, Cuse and the NCAA tourney as well that year? 16K plus lunatics, OLD legacy fans who loved them and were pushed out by the business it is of big time college basketball........I do not blame Bazz for the obvious but he has no idea how great Hartford was or still could be. But keep making sure those people, who were never on the train ride prior to the JC successful ride, get those real good seats which are usually empty unless they bring in Michigan State or Kansas.

Hartford is fine, our fan base isn't, it's spoiled!

Reaction Score
I was at the epic Gtown game. I was at last weeks Florida game. Gampel is SO much better. I live 7 miles from the XL center and 23 miles from Gampel. I would gladly make the longer drive to see every home game on campus. It is not even a tough decision.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
why do you think the Gampel was built to a little over 8000 and then expanded. Because the state wants to protect the XL center and will continue to make sure UCONN plays there.

Because it was built in 1990 and 8,000 was a huge jump from 4,000. No one knew our attendance and our program were going to jump like it did. If it was all conspiracy, why did they add 2,000 seats

Reaction Score
I was at the epic Gtown game. I was at last weeks Florida game. Gampel is SO much better. I live 7 miles from the XL center and 23 miles from Gampel. I would gladly make the longer drive to see every home game on campus. It is not even a tough decision.

While I was not at the Fla game which was also epic as you say, I have been to games which were rocking at Gampel and will say from my point of view 16,000 plus in the same arena all on the same page (although a bogger facility) made more noise and electrified it more than Gampel, at least they did so in the 90's............again just coming from me. It can be done from both arena's is my point and 6000 people brings in a lot more mooney. Just need to feed Hartford better games.......

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
While I was not at the Fla game which was also epic as you say, I have been to games which were rocking at Gampel and will say from my point of view 16,000 plus in the same arena all on the same page (although a bogger facility) made more noise and electrified it more than Gampel, at least they did so in the 90's............again just coming from me. It can be done from both arena's is my point and 6000 people brings in a lot more mooney. Just need to feed Hartford better games.......
This!!! You make some very important points. Sixteen thousand rocking fans is far more exciting than 10,ooo rocking fans. That's a no brainer and you are correct, the Civic Center (XL) was pulling in an excited fan base until the university chose to make the corporate changes.

Media has an impact on whether fans attend games or stay at home. This includes the time the media insists on showing a game making attending difficult as much as the luxury of having games in our homes.
The venue has an impact on whether fans attend games or stay at home. Location, parking, security and access all play a role.
Economics play a role.
The opponent has an important impact as well.

The University made the decision to maximize revenue at the expense of creating excitement at the venues. This was started by Perkins. It was short sighted imo.
Now with the disadvantage UConn has relative to schools in the P5, the options are limited.

I would love to see UConn dedicate the bottom 6-8 rows around the entire arenas for students and bus students to the XL center. Heck, I would insist that someone evaluates students for the level of excitement they bring to games and allocate tickets accordingly.
I want UConn to be THE college sports entertainment for Connecticut, New York City and New England. Getting 5 - 7 million potential fans is smarter than a half million fans. And the way to get fans excited is to give those fans an opportunity to attend a game. There are a lot of fans that can make a game or two to Hartford or Bridgeport, but not to Storrs. It is prudent to give these fans that opportunity.

It is myopic to not consider the importance of building a large fan base for the university. UConn may always be in the AAC, but the best way to exit and get into a P5 is to take steps to demonstrate to those conferences that UConn brings a valuable product to those conferences. Rutgers has demonstrated that the conferences are interested in revenues as much as success in athletics. Therefor it behooves the university and fans to make the necessary compromise to create both an exciting venue for games and revenues for the university, the media and conferences.

Reaction Score
Yep, better games=better crowds. As decent as our OOC was this year, I''d like to see it be way tougher. Play the best, home and home.

Reaction Score
Because it was built in 1990 and 8,000 was a huge jump from 4,000. No one knew our attendance and our program were going to jump like it did. If it was all conspiracy, why did they add 2,000 seats
The original proposal was for 12,000 with a hockey rink. The state was biting. I wonder why?

Reaction Score
This!!! You make some very important points. Sixteen thousand rocking fans is far more exciting than 10,ooo rocking fans. That's a no brainer and you are correct, the Civic Center (XL) was pulling in an excited fan base until the university chose to make the corporate changes.

Media has an impact on whether fans attend games or stay at home. This includes the time the media insists on showing a game making attending difficult as much as the luxury of having games in our homes.
The venue has an impact on whether fans attend games or stay at home. Location, parking, security and access all play a role.
Economics play a role.
The opponent has an important impact as well.

The University made the decision to maximize revenue at the expense of creating excitement at the venues. This was started by Perkins. It was short sighted imo.
Now with the disadvantage UConn has relative to schools in the P5, the options are limited.

I would love to see UConn dedicate the bottom 6-8 rows around the entire arenas for students and bus students to the XL center. Heck, I would insist that someone evaluates students for the level of excitement they bring to games and allocate tickets accordingly.
I want UConn to be THE college sports entertainment for Connecticut, New York City and New England. Getting 5 - 7 million potential fans is smarter than a half million fans. And the way to get fans excited is to give those fans an opportunity to attend a game. There are a lot of fans that can make a game or two to Hartford or Bridgeport, but not to Storrs. It is prudent to give these fans that opportunity.

It is myopic to not consider the importance of building a large fan base for the university. UConn may always be in the AAC, but the best way to exit and get into a P5 is to take steps to demonstrate to those conferences that UConn brings a valuable product to those conferences. Rutgers has demonstrated that the conferences are interested in revenues as much as success in athletics. Therefor it behooves the university and fans to make the necessary compromise to create both an exciting venue for games and revenues for the university, the media and conferences.
Have you ever been to the RAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22