All home games at Gampel | The Boneyard

All home games at Gampel

All home games should be at Gampel?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Other than the fact that it took me almost an hour after the game just to get off the campus, I would agree.
Bingo. When you are the team the whole state pulls for, the state having easy access is important.

Reaction Score
I think its a matter of whether the Fan should follow the sports team or whether the team should follow the fan. Putting home games all across the state spoils the fan base. Everyone will now wait for the yearly game at Bridgeport instead of taking the drive up a few times to Storrs. It fragments the fan base. Meanwhile, the rising college students and future diehard fans are deprived from most "hot" college basketball match-ups because they schedule top competition at XL Center since it has larger seats at the expense of the college student that may not have a car or needs to skip class to get there. I really think it weakens the fan base and eventually will weaken the brand. The prime generator of fans is the University (students and future alumni) itself so you need to make sure you breed the best fans possible and that can only be done playing the best matchups at Gampel

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If we're not going to fill the CC, then it makes sense to play at Gampel.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I question whether the UConn police deliberately make it difficult. Event traffic management is not rocket science. There are no closed roads or streets turned into one ways. There arejust a bunch of cops standing in a few intersections with lighted batons deciding who should go next with each car. I am surprised it only takes an hour to get off the campus.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If we're not going to fill the CC, then it makes sense to play at Gampel.

The Florida game fills the XL. Even the lousy games draw better in the XL. The two previous GP games were dead. Having said that, the place was rocking last night.

Reaction Score
The XL gets all the crap games and then people wonder why nobody shows up. I don't remember being particularly impressed with the crowd for Detroit or BU.

Reaction Score
They want to expand the university by 10,000 students and almost 1,000 faculty.

Those roads will need to be expanded eventually.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Can someone refresh me the quickest way out of gampel if you're heading west? Is 44 quicker, or is there another way to bypass most of the traffic? Last night was brutal.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
have to learn the back roads, I was off campus in 15 minutes

These kind of posts COMPLETELY MISS THE POINT of the problem.

I was stuck in the north garage with about 150 other cars until 9:45. A few of you having a secret parking place where they don't ticket is not a global solution, is it? It was gridlock on campus until 10 pm, and the other several thousand people stuck in traffic also don't care that jslack03 knows someone that knows someone that lets him park in a faculty spot, or whatever it is you do.

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:

I was stuck in the north garage with about 150 other cars until 9:45. A few of you having a secret parking place where they don't ticket is not a global solution, is it? It was gridlock on campus until 10 pm, and the other several thousand people stuck in traffic also don't care that jslack03 knows someone that knows someone that lets him park in a faculty spot, or whatever it is you do.

There is plenty of parking that isn't in a garage on campus. Part of a quick exit is walking a distance to your car. When I go, my walk outpaces the traffic flow. I also leave by going down by yellow house and using the back roads.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Keep them all at gampel. I went last night and it was an epic environment regardless of bazz making that shot. If people don't show allow the students to take their seats by midway of the the first half. It takes me an hour and fifteen/hour and a half and I don't mind it. Seems like regardless the same amount of people go to xl and gampel.

Reaction Score
Can someone refresh me the quickest way out of gampel if you're heading west? Is 44 quicker, or is there another way to bypass most of the traffic? Last night was brutal.

Park at lower F Lot. Take North Eagleville Road down to 32. From 32, you have options... if 44 is clear you can take 44. If 195 is clear you can take that. Otherwise hang a left onto Merrow Rd (after Chuck's Margaritaville), take that all the way up to Geraldine Drive Rd in Coventry, continue onto Goose Lane, that takes you right to 195 near 84.

The upside to being raised in Coventry is knowing every bizarre backroad in and out of campus.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There is plenty of parking that isn't in a garage on campus. Part of a quick exit is walking a distance to your car. When I go, my walk outpaces the traffic flow. I also leave by going down by yellow house and using the back roads.
This.

The garages are convenient if you are not in a rush to leave, but it's no different than anywhere else if you are one of thousands trying to leave through the same exit at the same time.

Reaction Score
I was literally off campus within a minute of getting into my car. The upper lot next to the South garage lets you out only one way but they had all other traffic blocked from going that way so there is not the usual gridlock anymore. They funnel you out to South Eagleville where you can hook up w/ 32 and go whatever way you need to with minimal traffic.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
L-lot is my secret, no parking fees there. Go 30 feet down the road and its $10 to park in X-lot. That makes no sense.

Better to park a decent distance away from the main campus and then walk 10 mins to get to Gampel. That definitely helps with the traffic.

If you park in the parking garage you are asking for a nightmare.

DO NOT LEAVE through campus to 195.

If you're going West, your best bet is parking away from main campus and taking backroads, possibly RT32 or RT44 to I-384 to I-84.

Reaction Score

Here's a thought.... DON'T PARK IN THE GARAGE?? Park up on the hill outside near Gampel, go down the hill, take a right and follow your GPS, if you don't have one, get one. It's almost Christmas.

Reaction Score
I like A-lot behind east campus housing. A nice walk through campus and a quick exit to 84.

Reaction Score
Expect that it provides critical funding for the program......

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Expect that it provides critical funding for the program......
I'd love to see those numbers. If the joint is packed it makes sense. If the place is half empty, I'm not sure the benefit is there. Now it may well be that the people have corporate tickets and don't always use them so the those empty seats are still generating revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom