All Hail Derek Jeter | The Boneyard

All Hail Derek Jeter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A line drive double, RBI, excellent base running off a bad pitch to get to 3rd & run scored in the first inning... Very fitting of his career. Classic Jeter!

Hall of Fame guy, all the way. He's a classic! :)

Reaction Score
Made my pilgrimage to Yankee Stadium in July to see him play one last time. Really glad he was in the lineup that night - Girardi rested him a lot this year.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
j66kicker said:
...and Derek hits a run-scoring inside-out walk-off single in the bottom of the 9th to win it in a Hollywood ending!

As a non baseball fan born and raised in Red Sox territory Yankee fan due to the number of Yankee fans in her circle of friends I have been privileged to watch live games with "Jeets" and the Yankees...
He never disappointed
What a lucky guy he got to live his dream and he gave a lot of people great memories while he did it
nuff said

Reaction Score
Seriously. The classic Jeter base hit to right to win it notwithstanding. Who could have envisioned David Robertson giving up not 1, but 2 home runs in the top of the ninth to tie it. and set up Jetes for the historic moment
Any writer who doesn't vote for Jeter to be voted to the Hall of Fame unanimously, should have his voting privileges revoked...

Reaction Score
Seriously. The classic Jeter base hit to right to win it notwithstanding. Who could have envisioned David Robertson giving up not 1, but 2 home runs in the top of the ninth to tie it. and set up Jetes for the historic moment
Any writer who doesn't vote for Jeter to be voted to the Hall of Fame unanimously, should have his voting privileges revoked...

As you know, no one has been voted into the Baseball HOF unanimously. Joe DiMaggio didn't even make in on the first vote !
I would be thrilled if he broke Seaver's record of 98.8%. While we're on the HOF, permit me one rant.
How Mazeroski got in I'll never understand. His admission means scores of other, more deserved players, should also be allowed in thus destroying any standards that the HOF has.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Fabulous career at SS for the Yanks.
What I find amazing that last night was the first game he ever played at Yankee Stadium where the Yankees were mathematically eliminated from the Post Season. Over 20 years, that is Amazing.

Reaction Score
As you know, no one has been voted into the Baseball HOF unanimously. Joe DiMaggio didn't even make in on the first vote !
I would be thrilled if he broke Seaver's record of 98.8%. While we're on the HOF, permit me one rant.
How Mazeroski got in I'll never understand. His admission means scores of other, more deserved players, should also be allowed in thus destroying any standards that the HOF has.

Mazeroski? I know that rants are, by their very nature, irrational, but come on. Decades ago, there was a run on NY Giants of the ‘20s. Travis Jackson? George Kelly? Freddie Lindstrom? Really? There are lots and lots of guys in the Hall who probably don’t belong there, including Tinker, Evers, and Chance. Mazeroski, on the other hand, was one of the greatest defensive second basemen in baseball history, and perhaps THE best at turning the double play. Bill James at one point had him with the best defensive stats of any player at any position. Not automatic for the Hall, but by no means a threat to topple the sacred walls at Cooperstown.

Reaction Score
Mazeroski? I know that rants are, by their very nature, irrational, but come on. Decades ago, there was a run on NY Giants of the ‘20s. Travis Jackson? George Kelly? Freddie Lindstrom? Really? There are lots and lots of guys in the Hall who probably don’t belong there, including Tinker, Evers, and Chance. Mazeroski, on the other hand, was one of the greatest defensive second basemen in baseball history, and perhaps THE best at turning the double play. Bill James at one point had him with the best defensive stats of any player at any position. Not automatic for the Hall, but by no means a threat to topple the sacred walls at Cooperstown.

A great defensive player ? Yes. A great player ? No. There are 383 players (not counting pitchers or that would add another 200) who have a higher lifetime WAR than Maz. I've been a James devotee since the 80's and still have copies of "Baseball Abstract" from those years floating around somewhere. Defensive metrics are still in a state of flux. There are just too many obvious anomalies to consider them accurate. How's this.
Don Mattingly won of 9 gold glove awards and was a truly great defensive player, Yet, according to the defensive WAR metric, he was a below average fielder for every season of his career except one !

Reaction Score
[ Keith Olbermann weighs in.....]

Very nice sendoff! Yes, Jeter was the worst player who ever played - that's why he played in 13 all-star games. Very classy, nice way to show your re2spect, Kieth. You're a scumbag.

His 20-year lifetime batting average of .309 and playoff batting average of .308 are HOF worthy, but mainly Jeets was CLUTCH.

Here's the "flip" to get Jeremy Giambi out and save game 3 of the 2001 ALDS...

http://m.mlb.com/video/v3134880/nyyoak-gm-3-jeter-cuts-down-runner-with-iconic-flip

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not a Yankees fan, heck not a pro sports fan. But there have been many Yankees players in the past who have just annoyed me with their arrogance and attitude. And that isn't reserved to Yankees players. Not Jeter. Never Jeter. Class act all around. The sports world needs 1,000s more like him.

Reaction Score
For players like Joe DiMaggio, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Cy Young, Ted Williams, and Hank Aaron among others, to not get in there unanimously was a travesty. I mean, seriously, how can you not vote for these guys? Arrogance on the voters part? Yes. Racist in others, no doubt.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Very nice sendoff! Yes, Jeter was the worst player who ever played - that's why he played in 13 all-star games. Very classy, nice way to show your re2spect, Kieth. You're a scumbag.
He wasn't saying Jeter was the worst. He was saying Jeter wasn't the best that ever played. Or even the best shortstop that ever played, or even the best Yankee that ever played. Or even in the top 10 of the Yankees.

Here's the "flip" to get Jeremy Giambi out and save game 3 of the 2001 ALDS...

http://m.mlb.com/video/v3134880/nyyoak-gm-3-jeter-cuts-down-runner-with-iconic-flip

Funny thing about that was Giambi was actually safe. Umpire blew it. But it was a cool flip though.

Reaction Score
Keith Olbermann weighs in.....

His reaction to Posada saying "He's #1" is ridiculous. Jorge has been Jeter's closest friend on the team for more than 20 years, going back to when they played together in the minors. Posada wasn't engaging in a detailed analysis, he was giving a friend a compliment. So Keith gives us selected stats (does he really believe that Nettles was a better Yankee than Jeter ?) to prove what ? Throw out the defensive war stat (see my previous post) and Jeter has the 20th highest offensive WAR ranking in the history of the game.

Reaction Score
For players like Joe DiMaggio, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Cy Young, Ted Williams, and Hank Aaron among others, to not get in there unanimously was a travesty. I mean, seriously, how can you not vote for these guys? Arrogance on the voters part? Yes. Racist in others, no doubt.
Certain writers think NO ONE should get in on the first ballot, so the never vote for anyone on the first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom