All Final 4 Teams from the West signaling the decline in NE? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

All Final 4 Teams from the West signaling the decline in NE?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
The answer is yes, it’s very worrisome. Potential players born on the east coast (the main recruiting base for most east coast teams) are wearing COVID masks at a much higher rate than anywhere else in the country causing their johnsons (on average) to shrink smaller. While the decrease in weight is helpful for elevation, the lack of bulge makes for bad TV, so the major networks will do everything in their power to not let these players to win.

Reaction Score
The trend is that the Northeast is becoming irrelevant. Before the break up of the Big East the northeast was a basketball power that regularly sent teams to the Final Four. The Big East was really the lynchpin. Since the launch of the New Big East only Villanova has been significant. And when they have an off year nobody is there. Exactly 2 other New Big East teams have gotten past the first weekend of the tournament since 2014. And they aren’t exactly “eastern”. Xavier and Creighton. In original Big East It was not uncommon for multiple teams to get to the Final Four and 3 different Big East teams won titles between 2000 and 2013. During that time there was a Big East team in the final Four for 5 straight years and 6 out of 7. Syracuse and UConn won titles back to back. It was the dominant conference during that period with only the ACC as a serious competitor. If you look at it honestly the New Big East is a nice league but not a nationally relevant one. I would argue that it has been replaced by the SEC which now seems to be focused on it. Until recently outside of Kentucky and maybe Florida and Miss State the SEC always viewed basketball as something to kill time between football season and spring football practice, and possibly a resurgent PAC 12. We will see on that but it has had multiple teams get to the Final Four with Oregon in 2017 and now UCLA. We’ll see where that goes. If a couple of American teams emulate Houston they could be a problem too.

This.

Reaction Score
Northeast basketball is trending down in a big way.
It's no secret that the end of the Old Big East profoundly impacted the Northeast teams.
Syracuse is getting nowhere close to the talent that used to go there.
Georgetown is getting nowhere close to the talent that used to go there.
Go down the list.
When the NBE was formed, outside of Villanova, it was the teams from Indiana, Nebraska, and Ohio were carrying the league.
Like was said when Wisconsin (Marquette) and Illinois (DePaul) were added from CUSA, it became the BIG YEAST.
But those teams were needed to help with the talent drain.
UConn used to recruit nationally under Jim Calhoun. Danny doesn't have that ability. So, whenever he gets a guy, he's usually taking a guy away from Providence.
Jon Rothstein regularly writes that the NBE needs Georgetown and St Johns to return to their 1980s success for the league to really be good. I think that can be expanded to include the overall success of basketball in the NE.
Why can't DH recruit nationally? Budget? He's not a big enough name? JC got Donny and KO from the west coast when he was still up and coming.

Reaction Score
I suspect that since he has, or seems to have , a "pipeline" on NJ players of probably equal talent to those in other parts of the country, that he has kept his focus regionally.

Of course, it there is a player in CA that has a relative in CT or some other connection to CT, and the player is a stud, then DH should try. Maybe, he has put out feelers and has come up dry. I don't know that. Rudy Gay had a relative in CT.

Then again, maybe it is the budget.

Maybe, BY insiders can provide more definitive information.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's no secret that the end of the Old Big East profoundly impacted the Northeast teams.
Go down the list.
When the NBE was formed, outside of Villanova, it was the teams from Indiana, Nebraska, and Ohio were carrying the league.
Like was said when Wisconsin (Marquette) and Illinois (DePaul) were added from CUSA, it became the BIG YEAST.
UConn used to recruit nationally under Jim Calhoun. Danny doesn't have that ability. So, whenever he gets a guy, he's usually taking a guy away from Providence.
Jon Rothstein regularly writes that the NBE needs Georgetown and St Johns to return to their 1980s success for the league to really be good. I think that can be expanded to include the overall success of basketball in the NE.

The Big East has three of the top ten recruiting class and five of the top 25....

So for that reason, and others, your theory is basically a pile of stupid.

Reaction Score
Why does everyone always say “besides Villanova” or “excluding Villanova”? They’ve won 2 of the last 4 NCAA championships and have been consistently one of the best teams in the country. The Big East should not be penalized for having a great team.
Because nobody else has done anything. Agreed that Villanova is a national power. So is Gonzaga. Nobody says the the WCC is a power league. Villanova is a national power. The rest of the league is made up of good programs with limited upsides and quite honestly, limited ambitions. I’d argue that the New Big East is better than the WCC. But here’s the thing. The zOld Big East had 4-5 Villanovas. Plus a couple of Creightons too. Most posters here remember try to convince themselves that the current league is comparable. When you point out things like 5 straight years with a team in the final four, 3 different teams winning national championships, D.C. 6 different teams making the Final Four over that stretch their response is well, MSG. So yeah, Villanova is a national power. The rest of the league is not. I would call it a major conference but not a Power conference. It has 1 top program at this point. UConn might make 2 though my guess is we are trending to Creighton rather than Villanova.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No ot means that Gonzaga has been good for a long time, UCLA has caught lightning in a bottle, Texas oil money can buy you a lot of talent and not just on the football field.

Reaction Score
The SEC has hired some great coaches recently. Will see more teams from there have impact

Reaction Score
I assure you BIg 12 fans don't say besides Kansas when they are talking about Big 12 basketball.
Of course they don’t and here’s why. Other B12 teams have and have had for years, national relevance. You might not know this John, but Texas Tech played for the national title in 2019. Oklahoma made it in 2016. Ok State got to the Final Four in 2004. Yes Kansas is the Big Dog but not the only one. So Johnny they would be kind of silly to say “besides Kansas” when 2 others have gone that far in recent years, don’t you think? Here’s where you say but MSG MSG!

Reaction Score
Go down the list.
Please stop the West hasn’t won anything in years. I don’t think we should care where our recruits come or who we beat out for a recruit as long as the recruit delivers. So far our results under Danny are trending in the right direction.

Reaction Score
Of course they don’t and here’s why. Other B12 teams have and have had for years, national relevance. You might not know this John, but Texas Tech played for the national title in 2019. Oklahoma made it in 2016. Ok State got to the Final Four in 2004. Yes Kansas is the Big Dog but not the only one. So Johnny they would be kind of silly to say “besides Kansas” when 2 others have gone that far in recent years, don’t you think? Here’s where you say but MSG MSG!
In the past 30 years Kansas won 1 championship they are the only Big 12 team with a title. You can take it back 50 years and it's still only Kansas. You're so bad at this I almost feel badly for you.

Reaction Score
Go down the list.
Fuggedaboutit

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Who cares where the teams are from
Just because all 4 teams are from west of the Mississippi means squat in terms of starting of trends
Did anyone say basketball in the east was dead when UCLA and Wooden won/bought the10 NCs in 12 years? Was it true then?
Basketball was born in the East and there will always be strong basketball up and down the east coast

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In the past 30 years Kansas won 1 championship they are the only Big 12 team with a title. You can take it back 50 years and it's still only Kansas. You're so bad at this I almost feel badly for you.

Titles yes, but the Big 12 has lots of final fours and strong teams aside from those. I think his argument about the Big East is crap though. Xavier has had very strong teams recently, Creighton has, Seton Hall has and Butler was a NC runner up twice in the last 10-11 years.

The bigger concern for me is the trend towards big football schools having more success and putting more focus on basketball.

Reaction Score
Because nobody else has done anything. Agreed that Villanova is a national power. So is Gonzaga. Nobody says the the WCC is a power league. Villanova is a national power. The rest of the league is made up of good programs with limited upsides and quite honestly, limited ambitions. I’d argue that the New Big East is better than the WCC. But here’s the thing. The zOld Big East had 4-5 Villanovas. Plus a couple of Creightons too. Most posters here remember try to convince themselves that the current league is comparable. When you point out things like 5 straight years with a team in the final four, 3 different teams winning national championships, D.C. 6 different teams making the Final Four over that stretch their response is well, MSG. So yeah, Villanova is a national power. The rest of the league is not. I would call it a major conference but not a Power conference. It has 1 top program at this point. UConn might make 2 though my guess is we are trending to Creighton rather than Villanova.

You act like having a single national power is easy. If you have a national power like Villanova then you are already doing something right. Gonzaga is not at Villanova's level so I don't get the comparison. Gonzaga is a great program, but Villanova is one of the few Elite programs of this era.

Most major leagues have one or two national powers, a few good programs, and then a few bottom dwellers. That's just how it is.

2002 - Maryland (Yes, Maryland and DC are culturally part of the Northeast megalopolis in modern times)
2003 - Syracuse
2004 - UConn
2011 - UConn
2014 - Uconn
2016 - Villanova
2018 - Villanova

Seven titles for the Northeast in 21 years. 5 from current Big East Members. That's pretty solid for me. That means every other region in this country is trying to play catchup and has been mostly shutout of the biggest prize in college basketball

Reaction Score
The Big East has three of the top ten recruiting class and five of the top 25....

So for that reason, and others, your theory is basically a pile of stupid.
You act like having a single national power is easy. If you have a national power like Villanova then you are already doing something right. Gonzaga is not at Villanova's level so I don't get the comparison. Gonzaga is a great program, but Villanova is one of the few Elite programs of this era.

Most major leagues have one or two national powers, a few good programs, and then a few bottom dwellers. That's just how it is.

2002 - Maryland (Yes, Maryland and DC are culturally part of the Northeast megalopolis in modern times)
2003 - Syracuse
2004 - UConn
2011 - UConn
2014 - Uconn
2016 - Villanova
2018 - Villanova

Seven titles for the Northeast in 21 years. 5 from current Big East Members. That's pretty solid for me. That means every other region in this country is trying to play catchup and has been mostly shutout of the biggest prize in college basketball
Good grief Syracuse and the 2004 and 2011 UConn victories were a totally different league. It would be like crediting the ACC WITH Syracuse’s 1938 title. The 2014 UConn win they were in the AAC. And honestly the program is in a much different place now. But 3ven if we want to consider that, since the New Big East was created in 2014, which members have gotten to the Final Four? That has consistently been my measurement. Villanova. That’s it. And 2 others have gotten out of the first weekend. That’s it. The ”very good“ Xavier team that was a 1 seed lost in the 2nd round. Creighton made the sweet 16 exactly once. When you add that Villanova has won a share of the league regular season every year and mad3 the league tournament finals something like 5 of 7 times it s pretty hard to argue they aren’t the far superior to the rest.
it’s fine. The Big East is a solid league with one national caliber team. As I said earlier between 2000 and 2013 six different Big East members got to the Final Four. Since 2014 3 different Big 12 teams did it. From the New Big East one did it. It’s like the WCC. A one team league.

Reaction Score
Good grief Syracuse and the 2004 and 2011 UConn victories were a totally different league. It would be like crediting the ACC WITH Syracuse’s 1938 title. The 2014 UConn win they were in the AAC. And honestly the program is in a much different place now. But 3ven if we want to consider that, since the New Big East was created in 2014, which members have gotten to the Final Four? That has consistently been my measurement. Villanova. That’s it. And 2 others have gotten out of the first weekend. That’s it. The ”very good“ Xavier team that was a 1 seed lost in the 2nd round. Creighton made the sweet 16 exactly once. When you add that Villanova has won a share of the league regular season every year and mad3 the league tournament finals something like 5 of 7 times it s pretty hard to argue they aren’t the far superior to the rest.
it’s fine. The Big East is a solid league with one national caliber team. As I said earlier between 2000 and 2013 six different Big East members got to the Final Four. Since 2014 3 different Big 12 teams did it. From the New Big East one did it. It’s like the WCC. A one team league.

Wait. Are we talking about the Northeast basketball trending down or are we talking about the Big East as a league?

I was pointing out that Northeast basketball is doing just fine with 7 championship in this millennium across three leagues

and my first point is that the latest iteration of the Big East (there have been like 10 different iterations since 1979) is doing just fine also. Has it developed multiple elite powers? not yet. But it surely is well on its way. That league will be fine and has won two national championships which is more than B1G, P12, B12, and SEC over the last 10 years.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Good grief Syracuse and the 2004 and 2011 UConn victories were a totally different league. It would be like crediting the ACC WITH Syracuse’s 1938 title. The 2014 UConn
win they were in the AAC. And honestly the program is in a much different place now. But 3ven if we want to consider that, since the New Big East was created in 2014, which members have gotten to the Final Four? That has consistently been my measurement. Villanova. That’s it. And 2 others have gotten out of the first weekend. That’s it. The ”very good“ Xavier team that was a 1 seed lost in the 2nd round. Creighton made the sweet 16 exactly once. When you add that Villanova has won a share of the league regular season every year and mad3 the league tournament finals something like 5 of 7 times it s pretty hard to argue they aren’t the far superior to the rest.

They are still in the Northeast and you changing the parameters of your argument just shows you have no argument at all, just bloviating as usual

Reaction Score
Interesting enough. I started looking at nattys from 1980 -1999

Only three Northeast teams won National Championships in those 20 years. That's really crazy because people are so nostalgic for the past and tend to rewrite the past to a point that the youngin's like me (30 years old) would easily think the Northeast was killing the rest of the country.

1984 - Georgetown
1985 - Villanova
1999 - UConn

So... In reality - the Northeast has dominated the first 21 years of this new millennium in comparison to the twenty years prior.

Now going back to the Big East - That was one heck of drought that UConn broke in 1999. The league was really falling behind other major leagues. Thank you UCONN!!!

Reaction Score
Interesting enough. I started looking at nattys from 1980 -1999

Only three Northeast teams won National Championships in those 20 years. That's really crazy because people are so nostalgic for the past and tend to rewrite the past to a point that the youngin's like me (30 years old) would easily think the Northeast was killing the rest of the country.

1984 - Georgetown
1985 - Villanova
1999 - UConn

So... In reality - the Northeast has dominated the first 21 years of this new millennium in comparison to the twenty years prior.

Now going back to the Big East - That was one heck of drought that UConn broke in 1999. The league was really falling behind other major leagues. Thank you UCONN!!!
Big East was incredible when it was formed but by the early to mid 90's it was UConn carrying the league. It's why it was so absurd when they did the Big East 30 for 30 and UConn was barely mentioned.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom