All Americans?? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

All Americans??

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
While that is true candidate three looks better for AA status than I thought if the first two made it!
Effective FG% may make Lou look like an AA when compared to Arike and Asia, but Lou is not really having a good year based on this stat. Arike is the only starter for Notre Dame that has an effective FG% that is lower than Lou's In fact, KLS is ranked 238th in the NCAA in Effective FG% (LINK). Guards Jackie Young (57.1% 150th) and Marina Mabrey (62.1% 36th) rank far higher. AA is based on more than raw stats.

By the way, Pheesa (62.8% 28th) and Brianna Turner (64.1% 19th) rank highly here but are dwarfed by Gustafson (69.7% 2nd).

Reaction Score
I will not be surprised if voters for various awards take the chance this year to 'feed their Uconn fatigue' and vote only one player to any of the awards. Given a chance when Uconn is not undefeated in the reg season they can have an excuse not to put two or three Uconn players into AA teams. And Lou's less than perfect year gives them an opening.

She is still playing at AA level I think with her rebounding and assists and assist/TO ratio even if she is not shooting the three at better than 40%.
KLS is still shooting 3s at a higher % than both Durr & Arike who are both considered 3pt shooters. This stuff about her not making 3s is in comparison to her & she led the country last season while being a do it all player & leader. It shows how she is wrongly still considered just a 3pt shooter by many in the national media and let's be honest even many on this board & local media because her all-around season is not being recognized much at all.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I prefer to have a subset (or 'Qualified') data set vs higher competition as opposed to full seasons stats.

I will have report publicly available tomorrow which you can customize yourself using both criteria (i.e. RPI, Massey, AP or USA Today) and ranking (enter separately for H, N and A games) and date range (by week) for all the Top Players.

Interested to see your data. I can tell you based on eye and stats that Sophie was a nightmare twice for the best team on Mizzou's SEC schedule.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
But SC's team just isn't very good. Durr/Ogunbowale/KLS are on top 5 teams. That's like saying Kristine Anigwe should be first teamer over McCowan.

Not really. Anigwe takes an inordinate amount of her teams shots and is not as efficient offensively as McCowan, mainly because she's depended on much more. She's still a hell of a player deserving of AA this year if we're talking best 10-15 players.

I'm trying to show that Sophie is as or more efficient of a scorer than the other three, while being the major focus of any opponent's D. I'm missing why you think her being on a lesser team invalidates how efficient she is on offense.

Reaction Score
Interested to see your data. I can tell you based on eye and stats that Sophie was a nightmare twice for the best team on Mizzou's SEC schedule.

My most recent post on stats only included 'Efficiency' but the new report will also include 'Usage Rate' and an 'Impact' value (which is essentially 'Efficiency' x 'Usage Rate').

In relation to Sophie specifically the reason she was so low in table is her first two games vs good competition this year were really inefficient.

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
KLS is no doubt a great player. But I go back to her performances against the great teams:

ND: Amazing team efforts by UCONN, no doubt. But KLS probably had the 3rd best game for UConn behind Williams (28pts, 11-16 shooting) and Collier (16pts, 15 rebounds). KLS was 3rd on the team in scoring, 4th in rebounds, first in assists, but had a bad day from the field (5-16). Arike shot even worse, but also had 10 rebounds and 5 assists for ND.

Baylor: KLS once again struggled from field (4-16), though she did have a double double with 12pts and 11bds. Kalani Brown had 22pts and 17 rebounds.

Louisville: Arguable the 3rd best player on UConn again compared to Collier and Dangerfield that night. 16pts, 3 rebounds, 4 assists; 5-13 shooting. Durr had 24pt (8-18), 3 rebounds, 2 assists.

Now against Cal--not a great team, KLS was unquestionably the best player on UCONN (22pts, 11bds, 9-14FG), and outshone Anigwe (10pts, 14bds, 5-16 shooting).

So while I think KLS is an excellent player, might even make my top 10, I would argue she has by and large not played her best against the best competition (and in fact, been outshone by not only Collier, but the AA on the other team).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I’m not buying Lou being injured had anything to do with the votes. Zion Williamson from Duke will sweep all the NPOY awards on the men’s side and he’s missed more games than Lou.

Zion had a better season..... not even up for comparison.
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
He's clearly the best player on his team... in the conference, in the country, and he plays offense and defense (finalist for the national defensive player of the year). Cant say the same for Samuelson.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Zion had a better season..... not even up for comparison. View attachment 40939 View attachment 40939 View attachment 40939 View attachment 40939 View attachment 40939 He's clearly the best player on his team... in the conference, in the country, and he plays offense and defense (finalist for the national defensive player of the year). Cant say the same for Samuelson.
Zion is a once-in-a-generation player. The greatest phenom in his sport since LeBron. He has no comparison in the current college ranks, male or female. The most recent ballpark comparison might be Stewie, but imagine if Stewie had scored 22 ppg and shot 68% as a freshman.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
So, just to be clear, are y'all saying that Zion is a good ballplayer?

Reaction Score
Zion is a once-in-a-generation player. The greatest phenom in his sport since LeBron. He has no comparison in the current college ranks, male or female. The most recent ballpark comparison might be Stewie, but imagine if Stewie had scored 22 ppg and shot 68% as a freshman.
Agreed you can only make those kind of comparisons if it was a transcendent player like Stewart, Parker, Delle Donne, Griner, Moore, and toot horn Taurasi lol. Lou is a fan favorite and I feel that many people on this board think she deserves awards over others that have worked harder; they’re clearly biased. Some players have just had better seasons.

Last edited:

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I honestly think what hurt KLS the most is that Collier has had such an outstanding year. No team had more than a player on the list, which I think also reflects the vast parity in WCBB this year.

Also, in the four biggest games of the year for UCONN that I'm sure everyone watched (ND, Baylor, Lou, SC), she's had spotty offensive performances, averaging 18ppg, 34% FG, 22% 3-pt, 6.5rpg, 4apg.

(In contrast, Collier averaged 21ppg, 12.5rpg, and 53% FG in those four games)
18 mpg is not spotty and when the rout of ND was taking place Collier was on the bench in foul trouble

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
If you believe the Lou is the BEST player in the country this year, then you obviously are ignoring the defensive side of the court. With all due respect to Lou, who I like a lot, she’s not even the best player on her team this year. Pheesa is having arguably a better senior year than any UCONN Senior has had since MM back in ‘10-‘11. Most importantly, she has impacted the game DEFENSIVELY.

Lou has improved her game on the defensive end and expanded her offensive repertoire, but Pheesa has been the better player, and I don’t think it’s close. She proved her worth when Lou was out and she, not only led the team to victory, did so in DOMINATING, record breaking, fashion!!

If Pheesa was out instead of Lou, I believe we still would have won the conference championship, but it would have required a monster effort from MW and ONO to step up even more than she did, to replace the inside, and outside, presence of Pheesa!
I don't think any of us Huskies fans are comparing Pheesa to Lou in terms of NPOY but comparing Lou to the DIRTIEST player in WCBB (AO) and Durr as far as being on the AA 1st team, picked by 3 ESPN bozos.

Reaction Score
Regardless of whether she deserves to be on the ESPNW AA team or not, I hope she takes this personally and shows everyone that she deserved at least some votes and consideration. My hope is that chip is getting heavier by the day...

Reaction Score
My take is this:

It's been a wide open season and they weren't putting two players from the same team on AA teams when said team had two losses. Now, if UCONN had gone through the season undefeated, Lou would've made it.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to show that Sophie is as or more efficient of a scorer than the other three, while being the major focus of any opponent's D. I'm missing why you think her being on a lesser team invalidates how efficient she is on offense.

Sophie stared the year out in a slump. She was not shooting as well, but she came on in the end. She looked rough at times in the beginning though.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I’m not buying Lou being injured had anything to do with the votes. Zion Williamson from Duke will sweep all the NPOY awards on the men’s side and he’s missed more games than Lou.
Discussing a male player on a WBB forum just seems wrong to me, no matter the reason.
I come here not only because I am a Huskies WBB fan but so that I don't have to worry about seeing anything about what was once men's basketball. That's not the case anymore I guess.

Reaction Score
Effective FG% may make Lou look like an AA when compared to Arike and Asia, but Lou is not really having a good year based on this stat. Arike is the only starter for Notre Dame that has an effective FG% that is lower than Lou's In fact, KLS is ranked 238th in the NCAA in Effective FG% (LINK). Guards Jackie Young (57.1% 150th) and Marina Mabrey (62.1% 36th) rank far higher. AA is based on more than raw stats.

By the way, Pheesa (62.8% 28th) and Brianna Turner (64.1% 19th) rank highly here but are dwarfed by Gustafson (69.7% 2nd).
Agreed you can only make those kind of comparisons if it was a transcendent players like Stewart, Parker, Delle Donne, Griner, Moore, and toot horn Taurasi lol. Lou is a fan favorite and I feel that many people on this board think she deserves awards over others that have worked harder; they’re clearly biased. Some players have just had better seasons.

So question... how do you know they worked harder? IF you want to say her shot has been off, say she did not deliver here or there I think those are up for debate. However I have rarely heard Geno criticize Lou (outside rebounding jabs which ironically she is doing the best in her career at about 7 RPB.) Lack of work ethic is Geno's number one issue if a player is not giving their most. Secondly, she is a 2X all american just like Pheesa is now and led the nation in 3pt% last year, 2000+ scorer, so she is no slouch as a player. Maybe you are biased. Looking at some of the stats of Asia and Arike its not reasonable to think she could have made it.

I am on the fence whether she should have made it or not, and accept those that do not feel she should have not. I see how she takes 2 defenders away when she is moving along the court and think she is a great passer. However, and this goes for Pheesa as well, they are both hard working, talented and dynamic players. No doubt that Pheesa had a better year and so did some of the others on other teams. Yet if Lou's shooting percentages are up then this is a no-brainer she makes her 3rd AA team as every other part of her game is better this year.

Reaction Score
So question... how do you know they worked harder? IF you want to say her shot has been off, say she did not deliver here or there I think those are up for debate. However I have rarely heard Geno criticize Lou (outside rebounding jabs which ironically she is doing the best in her career at about 7 RPB.) Lack of work ethic is Geno's number one issue if a player is not giving their most. Secondly, she is a 2X all american just like Pheesa is now and led the nation in 3pt% last year, 2000+ scorer, so she is no slouch as a player. Maybe you are biased. Looking at some of the stats of Asia and Arike its not like it not reasonable to think she could have made it.

I am on the fence whether she should have made it or not, and accept those that do not feel should she should have not. I see how she takes 2 defenders away when she is moving along the court and think she is a great passer. However, and this goes for Pheesa as well, they are both hard working, talented and dynamic players. No doubt that Pheesa had a better year and so did some of the others on other teams. Yet if Lou's shooting percentages are up then this is a no-brainer she makes her 3rd AA team as every other part of her game is better this year.
My take on it is that I’m not upset that she didn’t make it. I’m not mad that the players who made it, made it over her. They worked just as hard if not harder than her. I’m not basing my opinion off her shooting numbers. I’m forming my opinion off her just not doing enough in the bigger games against the players on this list. A lot of people don’t like Arike and Asia, but they are shot hunters and they make crucial plays when the game depends on it. She didn’t make those kind of plays. (Look for the earlier post someone made in this thread that lays out the stats for head-to-head matchups against other AA’s on the list.) All those stats about 2000 points and AA from last year and the year before don’t matter; it matters about what you did THIS year to make THIS AA team. My question to you is who specifically would you replace her with?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom