All Americans?? | The Boneyard

All Americans??

Reaction Score
Yeah, I just saw that. No Lou on either the first or second team? I can't buy into that. At least Pheesa was unanimous first team. I didn't realize she'll finish third on UConn career scoring list with 48 more points in postseason and she's only 27 rebounds behind Stewie. Wow.

If Lou had been healthy all year I'm confident she would have at least made the second team. It's a shame she missed out this year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
First team:
Gustafson*
Collier*
McCowan
Ionescu*
Durr*
* unanimous selection

Second team:
Anigwe
Smith
Brown
Ogunbowale
Carleton

Also receiving votes:
Cox
Cunningham

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think if you asked Lou what her feelings are, she would tell you that there’s only one award she really wants, and that’s the one she would share with all of her teammates in Tampa with confetti falling down from the rafters.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think if you asked Lou what her feelings are, she would tell you that there’s only one award she really wants, and that’s the one she would share with all of her teammates in Orlando with confetti falling down from the rafters.

The only chance confetti will be falling down from the rafters in Orlando is if UCF wins the WNIT.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I must admit that I rarely will agree with anything that these 3 ESPN experts come up with and this is no different.
Having AO, and to the same extent, Sophie C even mentioned as AAs when they have questionable sportsmanship to me is a joke. There's plenty of more deserving people to vote for, especially from AO's own team.
And of course LOU!!!!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
First of all: Congrats to Napheesa Collier! She deserves all the accolades.

Now for the drizzle on the parade. I love KLS and she's been absolutely critical to every success UConn's had in the past 3 years. But I don't think she's had a Second Team All-American-caliber season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
First of all: Congrats to Napheesa Collier! She deserves all the accolades. Now for the drizzle on the parade. I love KLS and she's been absolutely critical to every success UConn's had in the past 3 years. But I don't think she's had a Second Team All-American-caliber season.
Sorry @Plebe I'm not buying it! If you are going to put Alanna Smith and Bridget Carleton (both terrific players) on the team and Sophie Cunningham gets votes then they needed to AT LEAST CONSIDER KLS & Jackie Young!

Reaction Score
First team:
Gustafson*
Collier*
McCowan
Ionescu*
Durr*
* unanimous selection

Second team:
Anigwe
Smith
Brown
Ogunbowale
Carleton

Also receiving votes:
Cox
Cunningham

How does Lou not even receive votes. She is at least a 2nd team selection. If you had to play a game you wouldn’t pick her over most, of not all, of the players on the 2nd team?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
At least, the image ESPNw used makes sense. I think Pheesa is saying, "you should have included Lou. She will show you all" ;)

1552583977920.png

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
It's not about who I'd pick. It's about what kind of year they've had.
Totally agree. I actually think this is a pretty well balanced set of picks. And for those whining about the absence of KLS, note that no school got more than one pick across 10 first- and second-team picks. I might nitpick here or there with one or two of the picks, but each of these players is unquestionably the key player in their lineup this season. (For instance, while I actually think Jackie Young is more important for Notre Dame than Arike, Young is too unselfish to get the stats line necessary to be in contention for All-American).

I love me some KLS, but her stat line from behind the arc this season has not been great for someone whose reputation is as an outside sharpshooter (37% and 75 made threes). KLS's shooting percentage is worse than Alanna Smith (just below 40%) and her made threes are basically the same (Smith has 73). But Smith is not even thought of as a sharpshooter - simply as a forward who can execute from anywhere on the court, which creates mismatch problems for defenses. And Lou is solid but not spectacular in the paint, so without a season raining treys, I think her omission is more than reasonable. And note that Megan Walker has quietly become UConn's best outside shooter - she's on pace for nearly a 40% shooting percentage (.394).

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
ESPN isn’t even an official AA award the UConn acknowledges for the Wall. Any award that has Cunningham receiving votes over Lou is a joke. Lou has better stats & Mizzou isn’t even ranked :confused:
I love Katie Lou, and always have. She is a great player, and an important cog in the UConn machine. But in defense of Sophie, she is the Mizzou team. And she is their all time leading scorer. Given that Lou is injured, and that her shooting percentage on threes has dropped in her final year, she becomes less outstanding to the selection committee. Afterall, Pheesa and the others were able to overcome Lou's absence in the AACT. But if you ever watched Mizzou, all anyone ever looked at was Sophie. I do not contend that Sophie is a better player than Lou, but her value to her team surely earns her some consideration. These are very subjective awards, and as such stats alone do not win the day. I hate it for Lou, but an NC will ease her pain. :D:D

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Congrats to all of the winners. In a year when there wasn't a standout team or obvious POY pick, I'm glad to see the awards spread around. KLS could easily be on 2nd team and will likely be on 2nd or 3rd team when the AP teams are released.

Reaction Score
As I've stated before KLS has had her best all-around season. However, because of the basketball expert challenged ESPN and (may I say virtually all sports) she was, of course, disregarded in the selection of this A-A team. Because of the shallow perception of whoever these voters were she was a victim of her own reputation as a great 3pt shooter and wrongly perceived as "mostly a 3pt shooter". Her incomparable intangibles and team play is totally unrecognized by these again, shallow voters. It will be interesting to see if this shallowness extends to the voting coaches for the WBCA A-A team which KLS has been chosen for the past 2 seasons.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think in place of Arike Ogunbowale’s guard position, it should be Jackie Young, she had the better season. I guess Ogunbowale got the nod because Young didn’t make 1st team All-ACC list which I don’t agree with. Every player on the first team was their conference’s player of the year. Carleton is the only conference player of the year on the second team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom