Aliyah Boston, UCONN, Paradise Jam recruiting | The Boneyard

Aliyah Boston, UCONN, Paradise Jam recruiting

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Perhaps someone already posted something like this, if so my apologies. I was reading a USA bio on Aliyah Boston. I did not realize she is originally from the U.S. Virgin Islands, St. Thomas. She and her sister left home and their parents to live with an aunt in mainland USA in order to develop both academically and in their basketball careers in order to see how far their talents could take them. They have only seen their parents a few times since then. I see the Paradise Jam is returning to St. Thomas for 2018 and the foreseeable future. I am assuming UCONN can pretty much play in the P-Jam at will. No? Yes? Maybe? Seems like this could be a ... ahem ... recruiting advantage. Yes? No? Maybe? Far From Home, Aliyah Boston Has Found A Home On The Court With USA Basketball Man, Olivia and Aliyah could be like fire and ice.

She said she learned lessons from both of her previous USA Basketball experiences.
“I went up against stronger players than I was,” she said of missing out on the U17 roster in 2016. “So it helped me realize how much training I have to do, not just basketball-wise but also in the weight room with conditioning as well. So since the first time when I didn’t make it, I have been lifting and my conditioning workouts have been better. I’ve been running more. So it really just helped me realize what I need to work on compared to all the other kids.”

"Last summer, she noticed some of the other post players she competed against in training camp and then in international play had more to their games than she did. She was more of true post player at that point while others could handle the ball and shoot from distance. Boston has dedicated herself over the past year to working on her ball handling and perimeter shooting."

Another Boston article
Elite prospect Aliyah Boston strikes gold with USA Basketball after leaving paradise behind
This is a really good read. Reminds me of my childhood when relatives housed immigrant family members until they could be independent. My grand parents did it for my Grandmother's sister and husband. Fast forward 30+ years and they provided me shelter for the first two months of my working life in Cleveland. Never asking or expecting anything in return.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Perhaps someone already posted something like this, if so my apologies. I was reading a USA bio on Aliyah Boston. I did not realize she is originally from the U.S. Virgin Islands, St. Thomas. She and her sister left home and their parents to live with an aunt in mainland USA in order to develop both academically and in their basketball careers in order to see how far their talents could take them. They have only seen their parents a few times since then. I see the Paradise Jam is returning to St. Thomas for 2018 and the foreseeable future. I am assuming UCONN can pretty much play in the P-Jam at will. No? Yes? Maybe? Seems like this could be a ... ahem ... recruiting advantage. Yes? No? Maybe? Far From Home, Aliyah Boston Has Found A Home On The Court With USA Basketball

Another Boston article
Elite prospect Aliyah Boston strikes gold with USA Basketball after leaving paradise behind
This is a really good read. Reminds me of my childhood when relatives housed immigrant family members until they could be independent. My grand parents did it for my Grandmother's sister and husband. Fast forward 30+ years and they provided me shelter for the first two months of my working life in Cleveland. Never asking or expecting anything in return.

This offers UConn no recruiting advantage because of the NCAA rules regarding MTEs(Multi Team Events). The NCAA allows for schools to participate in MTEs(Tournaments) and not have it count against their maximum game allotment. While the NCAA allows teams to play in MTEs every year, they can ONLY play in the SAME MTE once every four years. This means that UConn would not be eligible to play in the Paradise Jam again until 2022.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
This offers UConn no recruiting advantage because of the NCAA rules regarding MTEs(Multi Team Events). The NCAA allows for schools to participate in MTEs(Tournaments) and not have it count against their maximum game allotment. While the NCAA allows teams to play in MTEs every year, they can ONLY play in the SAME MTE once every four years. This means that UConn would not be eligible to play in the Paradise Jam again until 2022.
Did not know that. Thanks for enlightening me. :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While UConn can not play in St Thomas every year, the timing this year is good. Aliyah’s official visit to UConn is the weekend of Nov 2. Early signing period starts Nov 14. The paradise Jam starts Nov 22. There’s an opportunity to tie everything together.

I suspect Boston’s parents will be with her on her official visit to Storrs as they were at ND. Maybe they will hang around for her announcement probably at her HS in MA when she tells the world that she’s going to be a Husky, and I’m sure Geno has already invited Boston’s parents to the Jam in St Thomas with seats behind the UConn bench.

In another 4 years, UConn can return to St Thomas for Aliyah’s homecoming. :)

Reaction Score
While UConn can not play in St Thomas every year, the timing this year is good. Aliyah’s official visit to UConn is the weekend of Nov 2. Early signing period starts Nov 14. The paradise Jam starts Nov 22. There’s an opportunity to tie everything together.

I suspect Boston’s parents will be with her on her official visit to Storrs as they were at ND. Maybe they will hang around for her announcement probably at her HS in MA when she tells the world that she’s going to be a Husky, and I’m sure Geno has already invited Boston’s parents to the Jam in St Thomas with seats behind the UConn bench.

In another 4 years, UConn can return to St Thomas for Aliyah’s homecoming. :)
Boston has said she will be in St. Thomas for Thanksgiving and will make her announcement during that trip.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Boston has said she will be in St. Thomas for Thanksgiving and will make her announcement during that trip.
One additional point. The early signing period is Nov 14-21, so Boston will have to sign her NLI the day before Thanksgiving. But the more I think about it, the timing on this has a strong feeling of being choreographed. UConn opens play on the 22nd. Certainly, the Huskies will be in St Thomas a day or so beforehand. Once upon a time, coaches used to be present when NLI’s were signed. I see Aliyah, Mr & Mrs Boston, Aliyah’s friends & family, Geno and his staff and the UConn WBB team all together for Aliyah’s signing, which will be a big story on the island of St Thomas.

Reaction Score

Although I agree there is no recruiting advantage here (realistically I'm sure Notre Dame could name their desire to participate in the Jam too), having the chance to return to the Island in 2022 takes care of "the senior year" local visit that Geno likes to arrange. Sure will beat having to arrange games with somebody near Ossining (Pace? - Ugh) and a second really exciting trip to Worcester. Ugh. Ugh.

Reaction Score
One additional point. The early signing period is Nov 14-21, so Boston will have to sign her NLI the day before Thanksgiving. But the more I think about it, the timing on this has a strong feeling of being choreographed. UConn opens play on the 22nd. Certainly, the Huskies will be in St Thomas a day or so beforehand. Once upon a time, coaches used to be present when NLI’s were signed. I see Aliyah, Mr & Mrs Boston, Aliyah’s friends & family, Geno and his staff and the UConn WBB team all together for Aliyah’s signing, which will be a big story on the island of St Thomas.

I hope you are right, but I think you are reading way too much into this.

Reaction Score
I see Aliyah, Mr & Mrs Boston, Aliyah’s friends & family, Geno and his staff and the UConn WBB team all together for Aliyah’s signing, which will be a big story on the island of St Thomas.

One thing that is certain is that this scenario won't happen since it would be a major NCAA violation.

Reaction Score
Threads like this one are amazing to me. Folks, let's not get so far ahead of ourselves that we all end up in, literally, another country. As far as I can tell, all anyone knows for sure (unless someone on this board has inside knowledge, which I doubt),. is that this young lady has UConn listed as a finalist. Now, I think it's fair to assume that UConn is a strong finalist because UConn is UConn. Beyond that, it seems to me that everything else posted in this thread is speculation. We've even got someone suggesting that Geno will invite Boston's parents to the Paradise Jam, which seems highly unlikely unless he wants to court an NCAA investigation.

It is said above that Boston has said on social media that she is spending her Thanksgiving in St. Thomas. I;'m sorry, but I still think that grown adults following a high school kid's social media posts to the extent of knowing their family's holiday plans, no matter how innocent the motive, is creeeeepy. Just sayin'.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I hope you are right, but I think you are reading way too much into this.
One thing that is certain is that this scenario won't happen since it would be a major NCAA violation.
OK, maybe I got a little lost in the tall grass. How about Aliyah signs her NLI with family and friends on Nov 21 and then she and her parents attend the Paradise Jam the next day.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Threads like this one are amazing to me. Folks, let's not get so far ahead of ourselves that we all end up in, literally, another country. As far as I can tell, all anyone knows for sure (unless someone on this board has inside knowledge, which I doubt),. is that this young lady has UConn listed as a finalist. Now, I think it's fair to assume that UConn is a strong finalist because UConn is UConn. Beyond that, it seems to me that everything else posted in this thread is speculation. We've even got someone suggesting that Geno will invite Boston's parents to the Paradise Jam, which seems highly unlikely unless he wants to court an NCAA investigation.

It is said above that Boston has said on social media that she is spending her Thanksgiving in St. Thomas. I;'m sorry, but I still think that grown adults following a high school kid's social media posts to the extent of knowing their family's holiday plans, no matter how innocent the motive, is creeeeepy. Just sayin'.
While there has been a lot of fantasizing going on here, and you are right in trying to keep the Yard tethered to reality, they are not literally in another country. The island of Saint Thomas is in the U. S. Virgin Islands. ;)

Reaction Score
Perhaps someone already posted something like this, if so my apologies. I was reading a USA bio on Aliyah Boston. I did not realize she is originally from the U.S. Virgin Islands, St. Thomas. She and her sister left home and their parents to live with an aunt in mainland USA in order to develop both academically and in their basketball careers in order to see how far their talents could take them. They have only seen their parents a few times since then. I see the Paradise Jam is returning to St. Thomas for 2018 and the foreseeable future. I am assuming UCONN can pretty much play in the P-Jam at will. No? Yes? Maybe? Seems like this could be a ... ahem ... recruiting advantage. Yes? No? Maybe? Far From Home, Aliyah Boston Has Found A Home On The Court With USA Basketball Man, Olivia and Aliyah could be like fire and ice.

She said she learned lessons from both of her previous USA Basketball experiences.
“I went up against stronger players than I was,” she said of missing out on the U17 roster in 2016. “So it helped me realize how much training I have to do, not just basketball-wise but also in the weight room with conditioning as well. So since the first time when I didn’t make it, I have been lifting and my conditioning workouts have been better. I’ve been running more. So it really just helped me realize what I need to work on compared to all the other kids.”

"Last summer, she noticed some of the other post players she competed against in training camp and then in international play had more to their games than she did. She was more of true post player at that point while others could handle the ball and shoot from distance. Boston has dedicated herself over the past year to working on her ball handling and perimeter shooting."

Another Boston article
It may be a Paradise for Basketball but not always for the citizens. I as a Fed spouse had a boat on PR that I sailed on occasion to St Thomas. A nice Fed family had a home invasion and their son was murdered in front of them. Needless to say their management packed up the family and shipped them stateside. It is an amazingly pretty place.

Reaction Score
I'd have to ask Coco or Oldude but since apparently Boston's family is from St Thomas, and assuming she/they have family there and visit on the holiday: Would it be an NCAA violation to give the family tickets to the game should the family want to attend?????? Seems Geno gives out ticket regularly to potential recruits at Uconn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'd have to ask Coco or Oldude but since apparently Boston's family is from St Thomas, and assuming she/they have family there and visit on the holiday: Would it be an NCAA violation to give the family tickets to the game should the family want to attend?????? Seems Geno gives out ticket regularly to potential recruits at Uconn.
I'm not sure. The NCAA official rule reads: "The only expenses a college-bound student-athlete may receive from a college during an unofficial visit are three tickets to a home sports event."
So when Aliyah or any other recruits comes to UCONN up to three tickets can be provided. This game is not at UCONN so I don't know if the rule can be stretched to say the home team can provide up to three tickets.
The tickets though are really a much smaller issue compared to the other potential violation that has been alluded to. I have never seen the coaching staff present at a recruit NLI signing event so I'm pretty sure that's is against the NCAA rules.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
On an official visit a school can provide 3 tickets to an on campus sports event to a recruit and her parents. In addition I believe there is a provision in the NCAA rules that allows for a school to provide for “complimentary admission” to both home and away sporting events. That’s one reason why Aliyah Boston has been a frequent presence behind UConn’s bench at home games for several years.

I would not be surprised if Aliyah and her parents were sitting in the stands at the Paradise Jam with complementary admission from UConn. For those UConn fans planning to make the trip, an all-session pass is $100, while individual game tickets are $35.

Reaction Score

Amen to that. Maybe it's my upbringing, but whenever I start counting chickens, wins, or recruits it doesn't end well.

Reaction Score
While there has been a lot of fantasizing going on here, and you are right in trying to keep the Yard tethered to reality, they are not literally in another country. The island of Saint Thomas is in the U. S. Virgin Islands. ;)
Of course, you're right. I meant it in the geographic, not the governmental, sense.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Last night I consulted this guy:

And he said..... the gods can withdraw their good will at any time. Let's not get too big for our britches.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some general thoughts on St Thomas, the Paradise Jam & Aliyah Boston. I love the USVI, having visited St Thomas & St John on several occasions. The twin hurricanes, Irma & Maria, devastated those 2 islands and, to a lesser extent, nearby St Croix. Unlike hurricanes that hit the US mainland, it will take many years for the USVI to recover and rebuild. Infrastructure, plants, wildlife and most importantly tourism have taken a significant hit.

As a result of the hurricanes, last year’s Paradise Jam had to be moved to SC. The return of this tournament to St Thomas is a major step in the recovery of the USVI. Having the top program in the history of WBB at the Jam this year is a very big deal.

To date, the biggest athletic star to come out of the USVI has been Tim Duncan who grew up in St Croix. Duncan is absolutely revered throughout the USVI. He has been actively involved in the hurricane recovery efforts there.

On Thanksgiving weekend, a rising young star, fresh off two world championships, will be coming home to St Thomas. We believe that at that time Aliyah Boston will let the USVI, and the rest of us, know where she will be attending college, and hopefully attending several UConn games at the Jam. Aliyah Boston’s announcement is not simply a WBB story. For the people of the USVI it is an inspiration that will do much to help the islands heal from the devastation of last year.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure. The NCAA official rule reads: "The only expenses a college-bound student-athlete may receive from a college during an unofficial visit are three tickets to a home sports event."
So when Aliyah or any other recruits comes to UCONN up to three tickets can be provided. This game is not at UCONN so I don't know if the rule can be stretched to say the home team can provide up to three tickets.
The tickets though are really a much smaller issue compared to the other potential violation that has been alluded to. I have never seen the coaching staff present at a recruit NLI signing event so I'm pretty sure that's is against the NCAA rules.
Thanks, I like getting my info from a reliable source, Thanks!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom