Aliyah Boston, UCONN, Paradise Jam recruiting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aliyah Boston, UCONN, Paradise Jam recruiting

Reaction Score
Some general thoughts on St Thomas, the Paradise Jam & Aliyah Boston. I love the USVI, having visited St Thomas & St John on several occasions. The twin hurricanes, Irma & Maria, devastated those 2 islands and, to a lesser extent, nearby St Croix. Unlike hurricanes that hit the US mainland, it will take many years for the USVI to recover and rebuild. Infrastructure, plants, wildlife and most importantly tourism have taken a significant hit.

As a result of the hurricanes, last year’s Paradise Jam had to be moved to SC. The return of this tournament to St Thomas is a major step in the recovery of the USVI. Having the top program in the history of WBB at the Jam this year is a very big deal.

To date, the biggest athletic star to come out of the USVI has been Tim Duncan who grew up in St Croix. Duncan is absolutely revered throughout the USVI. He has been actively involved in the hurricane recovery efforts there.

On Thanksgiving weekend, a rising young star, fresh off two world championships, will be coming home to St Thomas. We believe that at that time Aliyah Boston will let the USVI, and the rest of us, know where she will be attending college, and hopefully attending several UConn games at the Jam. Aliyah Boston’s announcement is not simply a WBB story. For the people of the USVI it is an inspiration that will do much to help the islands heal from the devastation of last year.
I live in St. Croix and I am a UCONN fan and I am hoping she chooses UCONN. She will be our female Tim Duncan. I am sure you didn't know but hurricane Maria hit us real bad on St. Croix, though we have almost fully recovered.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I live in St. Croix and I am a UCONN fan and I am hoping she chooses UCONN. She will be our female Tim Duncan. I am sure you didn't know but hurricane Maria hit us real bad on St. Croix, though we have almost fully recovered.
Many of us know how badly the islands were hit by Maria. We wish you all well, and hope for your recovery and continued safety. Go Huskies! :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Great to hear from you Bascomfan. Also great to know that St Croix is moving along well. For those of us here on the BY that will be unable to attend the Jam in St Thomas, we expect you to provide a running commentary of all UConn games and any Aliyah Boston sightings, along with pictures. :)

Reaction Score
Great to hear from you Bascomfan. Also great to know that St Croix is moving along well. For those of us here on the BY that will be unable to attend the Jam in St Thomas, we expect you to provide a running commentary of all UConn games and any Aliyah Boston sightings, along with pictures. :)
Unfortunately I won't be able to go this year , but I have a good feeling about this Boston being around for the tournament "coincidence".

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Unfortunately I won't be able to go this year , but I have a good feeling about this Boston being around for the tournament "coincidence".

Me too. I can't help but think her being in the islands the exact same time (coincidence ?) as UConn can only work in UConn's favor. It definitely won't hurt. UConn (and its players) will be the last team she will see and interact with before she makes her decision and announces her commitment. If she's still on the fence during this time, I like our chances that Geno, his coaches and the team can tip the scales in their favor. :D

Well Bascomfan, if you do hear anything, pass it on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Me too. I can't help but think her being in the islands the exact same time as UConn can only work in UConn's favor. It definitely won't hurt. UConn (and its players) will be the last team she will see and interact with before she makes her decision and announces her commitment.

You know Geno will be at as many of her games as he can (barring a time conflict with his games). I would not feel the same if it were another program that was there in the tournament (that she was considering) instead of UConn. Well Bascomfan, if you do hear anything, pass it on. ;)
Me too. I can't help but think her being in the islands the exact same time as UConn can only work in UConn's favor. It definitely won't hurt. UConn (and its players) will be the last team she will see and interact with before she makes her decision and announces her commitment. If she's still on the fence during this time, I like our chances that Geno, his coaches and the team can tip the scales in their favor. :D

You know Geno will be at as many of her games as he can (barring a time conflict with his games). I would not feel the same if it were another program that was there in the tournament (that she was considering) instead of UConn. Well Bascomfan, if you do hear anything, pass it on. ;)
I just don't see her picking another school while Connecticut is in St. Thomas.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I just don't see her picking another school while Connecticut is in St. Thomas.
I have a sneaky feeling that Aliyah’s decision is already a done deal and Geno may well know it, even if she hasn’t told him. If UConn has already arranged for admission for Aliyah and her parents to the Paradise Jam, she’s going to be a Husky.

Reaction Score
Me too. I can't help but think her being in the islands the exact same time as UConn can only work in UConn's favor. It definitely won't hurt. UConn (and its players) will be the last team she will see and interact with before she makes her decision and announces her commitment. If she's still on the fence during this time, I like our chances that Geno, his coaches and the team can tip the scales in their favor. :D

Boston's HS season doesn't start until 12/1 which is after the early signing period ends. UConn may be able to visit Worcester Academy practices to see Boston, but seeing her in game action is not possible. I think people are reading way too much into UConn and Boston being in St. Thomas at the same time. I think it is merely a coincidence and will have no effect on Boston's decision.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Boston's HS season doesn't start until 12/1 which is after the early signing period ends. UConn may be able to visit Worcester Academy practices to see Boston, but seeing her in game action is not possible. I think people are reading way too much into UConn and Boston being in St. Thomas at the same time. I think it is merely a coincidence and will have no effect on Boston's decision.

Thanks. I read here in the yard about 3 weeks ago that she would be in the Islands playing in a tournament, in November, and would announce her choice while there at her home. I’ll try find the article. I don’t dismiss your representation. You’re much closer to UConn there on the east coast than I am.

I FOUND IT!!! :)
An article by By Walter Villa | Sep 27, 2018 (3 weeks ago) for ESPNW.
Special to espnW

Heres the excerpt I referred to:

"There is another homecoming set up in less than two months. The Worcester team will travel to St. Thomas Nov. 17-23. Boston plans to sign with her national letter of intent during her trip home. This year's early signing period for Division I college basketball is Nov. 14-21. In addition, Boston and her teammates will feed those in need on Thanksgiving Day and help rebuild a community center that was torn down last September during consecutive hurricanes, Irma and Maria".

I knew I read this somewhere (I didn't just imagine it, or pull it out of my a#$) I read a lot of stories and articles here in the yard, along with all of the hundreds of posts I read. It appears that Aliyah and her teammates are just going there to do some community service. When I read it, I mistakenly assumed it was for a tournament. The article makes no mention of Worcester playing in a tournament. My error. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The little Italian guy has been doing this for a long time, and he’s been recruiting Boston since her sophomore year. It’s no coincidence that UConn is in St Thomas for a tournament.

Reaction Score

It really means nothing

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It really means nothing
The St Thomas trip wasn’t on the books for UConn until May of this year. I’m not so sure that Geno didn’t schedule this with the idea that it would coincide perfectly with his pursuit of Boston.

If he hasn’t done so already, I’m sure he will ask Aliyah and her parents if they want passes to the tournament when they’re in Storrs for her official visit on Nov 2-4. Early signing runs Nov 14-21 and the Paradise Jam starts Nov 22.

UConn effectively has Aliyah Boston bookended on both sides of early signing week.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The St Thomas trip wasn’t on the books for UConn until May of this year. I’m not so sure that Geno didn’t schedule this with the idea that it would coincide perfectly with his pursuit of Boston.

If he hasn’t done so already, I’m sure he will ask Aliyah and her parents if they want passes to the tournament when they’re in Storrs for her official visit on Nov 2-4. Early signing runs Nov 14-21 and the Paradise Jam starts Nov 22.

UConn effectively has Aliyah Boston bookended on both sides of early signing week.
Some Boneyarders are tough. They get on some for being too pessimistic and on you for being too positive.

Reaction Score

St. Thomas trip has been on the schedule for WAY longer than that - it was planned even before the same tournament LAST Thanksgiving (the one which had to be moved because of the storms). Scheduling the Paradise Jam tournament, which UConn has been doing as often as is allowed, had nothing to do with recruiting Boston.

That doesn't mean it didn't help, though :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
St. Thomas trip has been on the schedule for WAY longer than that - it was planned even before the same tournament LAST Thanksgiving (the one which had to be moved because of the storms). Scheduling the Paradise Jam tournament, which UConn has been doing as often as is allowed, had nothing to do with recruiting Boston.

It's helping !

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Some Boneyarders are tough. They get on some for being too pessimistic and on you for being too positive.

To be clear, I have no problem with optimism about Boston. It sure beats reading the latest from the nattering nabobs of negativity on this board. I have a problem with the recruiting violations being suggested in this thread ( Geno showing up at Boston’s announcement, game tickets for her family, the trip to the VI was somehow coordinated, etc).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
To be clear, I have no problem with optimism about Boston. It sure beats reading the latest from the nattering nabobs of negativity on this board. I have a problem with the recruiting violations being suggested in this thread ( Geno showing up at Boston’s announcement, game tickets for her family, the trip to the VI was somehow coordinated, etc).
While Geno showing up at Boston’s announcement is verboten, “complementary passes” to home or away games for recruits are absolutely permitted by the NCAA. These are not specifically tickets. The player and her family need to show up at a designated entrance to the game (will call) and present ID’s, whereupon they are allowed into the game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I never underestimate Geno’s long term planning skills, but assuming that attending the Jam had nothing to do with UConn’s recruitment of Boston, we can certainly chalk it up to serendipity, because I guarantee you that every other team that’s still in the Aliyah Boston sweepstakes would love to be in St Thomas for the Jam this year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
While Geno showing up at Boston’s announcement is verboten, “complementary passes” to home or away games for recruits are absolutely permitted by the NCAA. These are not specifically tickets. The player and her family need to show up at a designated entrance to the game (will call) and present ID’s, whereupon they are allowed into the game.

Not during an evaluation period which begins on Nov 16 and ends Dec 23. There is to be no off campus contact between coaches and recruits (and family) during this period.

Also, I do not believe complimentary tickets can be provided for away or neutral site games (unless the team plays a certain number of games at the site.)

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not during an evaluation period which begins on Nov 16 and ends Dec 23. There is to be no off campus contact between coaches and recruits (and family) during this period.
I appreciate the clarification. Of course there is no restriction for Aliyah and her parents attending the Jam on their own. Hopefully, Aliyah’s parents have already purchased tickets. Nice way to spend some time with their little girl who lives far away in MA.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I appreciate the clarification. Of course there is no restriction for Aliyah and her parents attending the Jam on their own. Hopefully, Aliyah’s parents have already purchased tickets. Nice way to spend some time with their little girl who lives far away in MA.

That is true. Hopefully the Worcester team will attend the games. It will be a great opportunity to see UConn and the other teams play.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Does it seem to anyone a tad denigrating to a recruit to suggest that what would push them over the edge is the happenstance of a tournament?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Does it seem to anyone a tad denigrating to a recruit to suggest that what would push them over the edge is the happenstance of a tournament?
A recruit, much like Caesar's wife, must be beyond reproach! It is a shame that with all these nitpicking rules in place, some schools and some agents/ AAU coaches / parents still manage to game the system. Ruins it for the vast majority of kids who just want to play and get an opportunity. :(

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
A little swerve...is there a reason why the Paradise Jam games currently appear to only be available for viewing via ESPN's pay for play service? How come SNY is not going down there to broadcast the games?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom