OT: - Alexa Philippou Joins ESPN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Alexa Philippou Joins ESPN

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
And didn’t Graham Hays used to do some work for them? Haven’t seen his name in a while.
He was one of the cuts.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
BTW, are you a subscriber to any of the three sites you mention???

Yes, Yes and Gotta Check (Her Hoop). Really enjoy getting The Next early morning report on previous night's results.

Reaction Score
Miss Graham Hays. Active reporter who was also adept at womens' soccer.
come on Dillon..........that's not much of a commute from Essex County to Hartford........ here's your big chance to see the "dark side" up close and personal.......:)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's sad the way venture capitalists have no qualms destroying newspapers. The Courant has lost over 40 people in editorial over the last few months and has only made a couple of new hires.

arch

Reaction Score
Disregarding the cheap shot at capitalists, I’m sure you realize that ownership has little to do with the demise of newspapers in general. I’m also confident that you know that the overwhelming majority of staff reductions at the Courant were undertaken by the likes of the Tribune Company.

Anyway, “Go Huskies”.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Don’t bet on it. Management will make that call, not Alexa.
ESPN will promote the teams (and players) for which it has broadcasting rights. That does not include UConn.

ESPN will still write about UConn because of clicks and because UConn will still appear on its network for non-conference away/neutral court games and the NCAA tournament. ESPN loves the ratings.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The article in today's Currant about the women's team was good but just read a bit differently. We will miss her there.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Here is a data item that I am not quite able to process:

I just finished reading an article in the Hartford Courant online edition about Morgan Valley and the "coaching odyssey" that finally brought her back to UConn. That isn't the mystery.

The mystery is that the byline for the article is "Alexa Phillipou, Hartford Courant", and the date is today: February 22, 2022. What is going on here?
  • Did Alexa write this story before she left the Courant, and it is only being published today? (It was not in this morning's print edition, so I assume it will appear there tomorrow.)
  • Or is this a "last supper" contribution to the Courant that will not be followed by any more articles on her byline?
  • Or is she somehow able to work for ESPN and contribute to the Courant at the same time?
I assume this situation will soon be clarified.

Reaction Score
Here is a data item that I am not quite able to process:

I just finished reading an article in the Hartford Courant online edition about Morgan Valley and the "coaching odyssey" that finally brought her back to UConn. That isn't the mystery.

The mystery is that the byline for the article is "Alexa Phillipou, Hartford Courant", and the date is today: February 22, 2022. What is going on here?
  • Did Alexa write this story before she left the Courant, and it is only being published today? (It was not in this morning's print edition, so I assume it will appear there tomorrow.)
  • Or is this a "last supper" contribution to the Courant that will not be followed by any more articles on her byline?
  • Or is she somehow able to work for ESPN and contribute to the Courant at the same time?
I assume this situation will soon be clarified.
As I noted in a previous post, in her tweet she says "until WE find my replacement". So possibly your 3rd scenario.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Disregarding the cheap shot at capitalists, I’m sure you realize that ownership has little to do with the demise of newspapers in general. I’m also confident that you know that the overwhelming majority of staff reductions at the Courant were undertaken by the likes of the Tribune Company.
What I do confidently do know is after this latest round of job reductions, the Courant has their lowest staffing level since the 90's. The 1890's. And yet here you are commenting out of your redacted.

Reaction Score
I feel confident in saying that Alexa will never, ever ask a coach at the Final Four a question like this gem from Charlie Creme.

She will do excellent work at ESPN.

Oh my Lord. If I was once aware of that moment, I had blocked it from my brain. I will be sending my memory-deletion therapy bills to you @UConnCat

@HuskyNan Any chance Charlie has been making some of the posts lately? That would explain a lot.

Though personally I would love it if someone asked Coach K his thoughts on being married to Roy Williams.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Yeah but didn't Geno handle it. First push back on the silly question. Toss in a little tension removing humor (I wouldn't marry myself) and then give a really serious answer about the about the status of Women's basketball coverage.

arch

Reaction Score
What I do confidently do know is after this latest round of job reductions, the Courant has their lowest staffing level since the 90's. The 1890's. And yet here you are commenting out of your redacted.
Classy. Anything in particular you found “out of my redacted” or just having a tantrum?
Facts is facts and “capitalists” aren’t taking the paper down. In fact they are the only ones willing to keep the dumpster fire of a company alive at all. What this and other papers need is a Jeff Bezos. Someone willing to take the losses to keep something worthwhile alive. How about you?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Do you subscribe to the Courant? It’s how they make their money.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom