OT: - Alexa Philippou Joins ESPN | The Boneyard

OT: Alexa Philippou Joins ESPN

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wow, I did not see this coming but I am very happy for her. This is a nice career move. Wish her the best.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Wonder what this means for Michelle Voepell?

I'm not sure it means anything for Mechelle Voepel. Maybe a chance to breathe. They cut a number of writers a year or so ago and have been short-staffed on everything from women's soccer to all of WBB. Voepel's been doing most of it.

My gut is The Athletic (Chantell Jennings), The Next and Her Hoops Stats are beginning to make inroads.

Reaction Score
So she was working for the Courant yesterday and today works for ESPN? What a crazy world.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The Courant is actually in a good spot as it covers the top team in a growing sport so any Journalist who wants to make a name for themselves would be smart to apply. The competition among all the UConn beat writers elevates the skill level of each of them trying to find insight and information. We are lucky to have all the writers who cover us especially when compared to any of the other team writers out there. Congrats Alexa! But as that old axiom says, "the Queen is dead, long live the Queen"...Next writer please...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Courant is actually in a good spot as it covers the top team in a growing sport so any Journalist who wants to make a name for themselves would be smart to apply
On it!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wow, I did not see this coming but I am very happy for her. This is a nice career move. Wish her the best.
My question is who is she replacing? Is Voepel moving on? ESPN has made multiple rounds of massive staff cuts, which makes me think she must be taking over for an existing position.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure it means anything for Mechelle Voepel. Maybe a chance to breathe. They cut a number of writers a year or so ago and have been short-staffed on everything from women's soccer to all of WBB. Voepel's been doing most of it.

My gut is The Athletic (Chantell Jennings), The Next and Her Hoops Stats are beginning to make inroads.
After just reading Michelle’s power rankings, I hope she is being moved on.

Reaction Score

BTW, are you a subscriber to any of the three sites you mention???

Reaction Score
ESPN needed someone sane to counter the insanity coming from Monica McNutt! Congrats to Alexa, she did a great job covering the Huskies for the Courant.

Reaction Score
My question is who is she replacing? Is Voepel moving on? ESPN has made multiple rounds of massive staff cuts, which makes me think she must be taking over for an existing position.
I suspect that those getting cut made a lot more than an incoming staff writer.

Also just because they’re making cuts doesn’t mean they are not investing in certain areas of business that are considered ripe for growth.

And didn’t Graham Hays used to do some work for them? Haven’t seen his name in a while.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom