Alex Officially Transferring | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Alex Officially Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just reading AO's father's Twitter feed. Some pretty bizarre posts and with a few open shots at Calhoun and others that could be seen as thinly veiled ones. Also looks like he preferred to give his buddy Kevin Duffy a good scoop rather than do this whole thing the responsible way.

Reaction Score
AO will not announce if he transferring until we find out whats going on with us next postseason. If he transfer and we are eligible, he has to sit a year. If we are ineligible, he can play right away.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I liked AO, and felt there was a double standard with Drummond and Oriakhi at times. Drummond was a mess defensively all year, and AO was just a very good position defender and fundamental rebounder (this means blocking out and not just hoping the ball comes to you). Yet AO was subjected to Calhoun's wrath a lot more than Drummond. I am sure there is a lot we didn't know, but it sure looked like star treatment for a 1 and done. I like Drummond, but I can see how AO might be a little steamed at that.

I can get his reluctance to play an exhibition season next year, and am 100% positive that some scumbag coaches have been telling AO and his dad that UConn has no chance of winning the appeal.

Reaction Score
If his dad is going to act like this, it might be better off for Calhoun and the coaching staff if he transfers anyway.

Reaction Score
If Alex leaves, that's bad news for next year if Drummond doesn't come back, but probably good (or at worst neutral) news if he does.

Either way, it doesn't affect a damn thing for 2014 or beyond.

We'll always appreciate Oriakhi's contributions last year, but the fact remains that he was never the tough, post stalwart that we've relied on over the last 15 years. The lack of a stout big-man is one of the factors that's led to our being a middle-of-the-pack Big East team during his career here.

If Alex does leave, that will close the book on an absolute abortion of a recruiting class. May our coaching staff never duck things up that badly again.

Reaction Score
You know, I held off on all the discussion because I'm not surprised he's doing it. But to have his dad go to the media- to not have either the decency to let the school announce it, or have the guts to go to the media yourself, tells us everything we need to know.

The Oriakhis think they know more about basketball than Jim Cahoun. Good luck with that.

I totally agree. I won't lose even a millisecond of sleep over this one. It gets harder and harder to even remain a sports fan because literally every sport is overloaded with over-paid,egocentric, and, in many cases, underskilled prima donnas. As fans of the UConn program we have a virtual litany of classy, team first young men going back way before Jim Calhoun; and, it has only gotten better since his arrival. We simply don't need the Alex Oriakhis of this world and we never have. I can appreciate the positive sentiment toward this young man; BUT, he(and his father) have run off the rails with this decision. And, in view of the comments from Gavin Keefe at The Day I'm willing to "wait and see". However, UConn is bigger(and always will be) than any one player. Great school(both my kids are grads and doing quite well thank you very much!!), great basketball program, tremendous,Hall of Fame coach and I, as do all of you, have more great memories than I could ever count.

Whatever happens with the NCAA, with JC at the helm, we will survive and thrive. We are very,very fortunate to have a head coach and coaching staff as talented,committed,hard-working and devoted as they are. And, it would seem to me, that the selection of Susan Herbst as president of the university is just the icing on the cake. Let's get that basketball practice facility built, continue to scour the land for players who will bleed Husky blue and look forward to next season no matter what shape it takes. For anybody(fans,players,media) who thinks UConn is in some kind of death spiral, get a grip! We will still be there ready to kick Puke's whenever the opportunity presents itself. :)

GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Best of luck to Alex, he seems like a good kid.

A few thoughts though.
  • I think the real issue here is playing time, not the missing the tournament. Alex and his dad want Alex in the NBA, Alex lost a lot of minutes this year, and Alex's numbers thus aren't good enough to get serious NBA attention. I don't blame Alex and his dad for looking out for their own financial interests. I would do the same thing.
  • I don't like how Alex and his father have complained on twitter or the media this year. If you don't like things, fine, make a change. I don't see how complaining in public helps at all. Alex seems a little immature, though again, not a bad kid.
  • For what it's worth, I think Alex deserved to lose minutes this year. He's got a great basketball body, and simply regressed this year. His points per 40 minutes were down, his fg % was down, his ft % was down, and most importantly, his rebounds per 40 minutes were down. He simply got worse this year.
  • Alex is not particularly skilled, but he has the body to dominate down low in college. Some guys just can't get the polish other players have. My complaint with Alex is about effort. He's not a lazy player, but imagine if he had Jeff Adrien's motor! Unless Alex suddenly has a fire lit under his ass, he's looking like a second round pick at best. There's no reason, beside heart, that Alex shouldn't average 10 rebounds a game.
For me the bottom line is that Alex has potential, but the way he played this year, he's not much of a loss. If UConn can land Obekpa, he might actually be an upgrade over the way Alex played this year.

Reaction Score
butterfinger-bar.jpg

Reaction Score
needless to say, im fine with this. looking forward to less dropped passes, and complaining.

best of luck

Reaction Score
All he did on twitter was say that it was "bs" that he was benched for one game and call his coach a word that none of us seem to know the exact definition of in English.

He didn't complain at all after that.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I wish him the best of luck and thank him for his part in the 2011 NCAA title. He will always be remembered as an important part of the UConn program.
I disagree. Players who transfer out or quit the team forfeit their claim to the Husky legacy. I always liked Toraino Walker too but like they say in mafia movies, "He's dead to me now."

Reaction Score
Calhoun put his butt on the bench in an elimination game. The relationship was terminal.

I'm disappointed but nobody should be shocked. He was getting way too much advice from his Dad (an annoying character) and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel (a malcontent with an axe to grind).

He showed up not ready to play when the season began. Instead of working harder when JC challenged him, he acted like a spoiled brat. Nobody's so good as to have a starting position handed to him. You have to work for it.

I really do like Alex and I wish a long professional career for him. I think he's got the talent defensively and rebounding-wise and he has a nice stroke. There's no reason he can't be a PJ Brown-type player. But his support system is not a good one and I believe it hurt his career and helped to sabotaged our season.

Defensively = inconsistent
Rebounding = inconsistent, with some great games and some not so great
nice stroke = never (that's not his game)

Reaction Score
I don't like anyone $hitting on Alex, but at least quite a few on you shat on him when the transfer was "official." For the rest of you guys, have you seen that it is now "not close to definite." No excuses.

Reaction Score
I don't like anyone $hitting on Alex, but at least quite a few on you shat on him when the transfer was "official." For the rest of you guys, have you seen that it is now "not close to definite." No excuses.

i don't care. official or not, i would pay for his plane ticket if it wasn't a violation.

both parties will be better off imo

Reaction Score
Just reading AO's father's Twitter feed. Some pretty bizarre posts and with a few open shots at Calhoun and others that could be seen as thinly veiled ones. Also looks like he preferred to give his buddy Kevin Duffy a good scoop rather than do this whole thing the responsible way.
i know alex and his family are of nigerian (i think) descent? but has anyone ever heard his dad actually speak? can he speak fluent english?? his tweets seem very disoriented and do not make any sense at all, with jabs at calhoun and just the uconn program everywhere. but then theres tweets like "thank god mr calhoun is back" etc. I have heard Alex in interviews and he speaks english as if you thought he is 100% American. I am guessing his father is still extremely foreign.

I guess as I'm on this subject, reading Oriakhi Sr's tweets.......I thought that parent politics would be over and done with when your on a blue blood D1 bball team, or ANY college basketball team for that matter. Politics play a big part in small towns for jr high and high school teams but division 1 UConn basketball?? C'MON GET REAL HERE. Does anyone EVER remember any other parent of a UConn player ever interfering or trying to interfere with there son and the team?? Not only have I ever heard of this here at uconn, but even on any other basketball team. The only thing about parents I hear is speaking positively about the team. Yes, these kids are still young and parents still may play a big role in there lives, but please if you haven't already, read AO Sr.'s twitters. Absolutely ridiculous. NOW I see where Alex's softness comes from.

Reaction Score
i don't care. official or not, i would pay for his plane ticket if it wasn't a violation.

both parties will be better off imo

You are free to say whatever you want, you just come across kinda like a . That said, I think that if AD is returning, its probably in Alex's and the schools best interest to separate.

Reaction Score
You are free to say whatever you want, you just come across kinda like a . That said, I think that if AD is returning, its probably in Alex's and the schools best interest to separate.

He is completely right.

Reaction Score
i know alex and his family are of nigerian (i think) descent? but has anyone ever heard his dad actually speak? can he speak fluent english?? his tweets seem very disoriented and do not make any sense at all, with jabs at calhoun and just the uconn program everywhere. but then theres tweets like "thank god mr calhoun is back" etc. I have heard Alex in interviews and he speaks english as if you thought he is 100% American. I am guessing his father is still extremely foreign.

I guess as I'm on this subject, reading Oriakhi Sr's tweets.......I thought that parent politics would be over and done with when your on a blue blood D1 bball team, or ANY college basketball team for that matter. Politics play a big part in small towns for jr high and high school teams but division 1 UConn basketball?? C'MON GET REAL HERE. Does anyone EVER remember any other parent of a UConn player ever interfering or trying to interfere with there son and the team?? Not only have I ever heard of this here at uconn, but even on any other basketball team. The only thing about parents I hear is speaking positively about the team. Yes, these kids are still young and parents still may play a big role in there lives, but please if you haven't already, read AO Sr.'s twitters. Absolutely ridiculous. NOW I see where Alex's softness comes from.

Alex is US born...I wish I hadn't googled his twitter account, what a mess.

Reaction Score
Everything about this thread is sickening:

1. That the CT Post would use the title, "AO Transferring," rather than a proper title, such as, "AO's Father Says AO Transferring."

2. That the OP compounded the issue by making the same mistake.

3. That the CT Post has not changed its headline.

4. That more than a handful of posters felt the need to directly slam the kid.

5. That not one of them has thought better of it and edited/deleted/apologized for his post.

Kid gave three years of his life to UConn.

He was the anchor on our 3rd Championship team.

He had a rough year that was caused, in large part, by things outside of his control.

To beat on the guy for being "soft" is inconceivable to me.

You know that guy we refer to? 6/5 and 250?

Alex is bigger than that. Call him soft to his face, p-ssies.

Shame on all of you for trying to bash him when you heard he was on his way out. Shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom